Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

if waitlisted, are you going to stay on it?

yes, until the very end
45%
yes, but only until July (or something like that)
20%
no
22%
idk???
13%

Total votes: 83

anonperson2017

New

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby anonperson2017 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:28 am

pretzeltime wrote:
Monday wrote:
Gabriel_is_Satan wrote:Have they dinged everyone whose rejection they had on file? In other words: are all of those who haven't heard back still "out with the faculty", or should we expect another ding wave tonight?

No, even taking into account the small percentage of applicants reporting on TLS/LSN, yesterday's wave seems small. Besides, if Asha wanted to hide from applicants whether or not they went onto faculty review, holding onto the rejections of the more recent application batch (2017) would make sense. Since 80% of applications are "outright" (not the proper word, I know) rejected, she certainly has more rejections on file.

^^ agreed.

For those of us not dinged yet, I wouldn't extrapolate much. I'm certainly not taking it as a great sign yet. I think there'll be a lot more rejections coming through, possibly/probably today.

Fun!

Question, has Asha/ admissions ever said that they try to hide who went on to FR or not? Just wondering where that idea started, since idk I feel like at some point, they're not consciously timing decisions and releases around keeping things mysterious.

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:32 am

anonperson2017 wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
Monday wrote:
Gabriel_is_Satan wrote:Have they dinged everyone whose rejection they had on file? In other words: are all of those who haven't heard back still "out with the faculty", or should we expect another ding wave tonight?

No, even taking into account the small percentage of applicants reporting on TLS/LSN, yesterday's wave seems small. Besides, if Asha wanted to hide from applicants whether or not they went onto faculty review, holding onto the rejections of the more recent application batch (2017) would make sense. Since 80% of applications are "outright" (not the proper word, I know) rejected, she certainly has more rejections on file.

^^ agreed.

For those of us not dinged yet, I wouldn't extrapolate much. I'm certainly not taking it as a great sign yet. I think there'll be a lot more rejections coming through, possibly/probably today.

Fun!

Question, has Asha/ admissions ever said that they try to hide who went on to FR or not? Just wondering where that idea started, since idk I feel like at some point, they're not consciously timing decisions and releases around keeping things mysterious.

Good Q. I don't know where that oft-repeated line comes from. I think it might be a TLS telephone type thing. But maybe a YLS blog post?

As I said yesterday, I'm skeptical. Don't think that YLS or any other school cares about applicants to the extent that they're making all of these considerations in order to not hurt feelings....and maybe Asha doesn't want it to be clear about presumptive admits, but I'm not sure that she cares about obfuscating presumptive rejects.

anonperson2017

New

Postby anonperson2017 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:37 am

pretzeltime wrote:
anonperson2017 wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
Monday wrote:

^^ agreed.

Fun!

Good Q. I don't know where that oft-repeated line comes from. I think it might be a TLS telephone type thing. But maybe a YLS blog post?

As I said yesterday, I'm skeptical. Don't think that YLS or any other school cares about applicants to the extent that they're making all of these considerations in order to not hurt feelings....and maybe Asha doesn't want it to be clear about presumptive admits, but I'm not sure that she cares about obfuscating presumptive rejects.

Yeah because to me, yesterday's wave's timing seems more to do with (as she announced on twitter) finally completing her review of all applications. That being said, there are likely still plenty of dings left, probably from those batches from faculty that are still being submitted (per her most recent tweet).

sushibarwxam

New

Postby sushibarwxam » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:41 am

It was a "fun" journey with you guys...dinged last night. Maybe they'll send me a pity snuggie :(

calgoldenbear

Bronze

Postby calgoldenbear » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:00 am

Did anyone hear anything this weekend?

Monday

Silver

Postby Monday » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:23 am

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

latetothis

Bronze

Postby latetothis » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:26 am

Last edited by latetothis on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:34 am

I feel like everyone, or most everyone, who survived the ding wave is now in faculty review.

hoyasaxa13

New

Postby hoyasaxa13 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:39 am

OneHandedEconomist wrote:I feel like everyone, or most everyone, who survived the ding wave is now in faculty review.

I think it might depend on when you submitted. I don't see a single person who sent their app in February who has been rejected yet on lsn.

calgoldenbear

Bronze

Postby calgoldenbear » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:39 am

I get the sense that they really don't want applicants reaching out again after submitting. I have a resume update --- can I reach out with an updated resume?

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Postby seeprybyrun » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:44 am

calgoldenbear wrote:I get the sense that they really don't want applicants reaching out again after submitting. I have a resume update --- can I reach out with an updated resume?

As I mentioned upthread, you can, but it won't affect anything at this point unless you're on the waitlist.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:46 am

hoyasaxa13 wrote:
OneHandedEconomist wrote:I feel like everyone, or most everyone, who survived the ding wave is now in faculty review.

I think it might depend on when you submitted. I don't see a single person who sent their app in February who has been rejected yet on lsn.

Well shit there goes my confidence.

AndromedaGalaxy

New

Postby AndromedaGalaxy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:46 am

Monday wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
anonperson2017 wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
Monday wrote:

^^ agreed.

Fun!

Yeah, it certainly seems like a TLS telephone type thing (hence the "if") and sort of a way to make sense of YLS's delay in releasing rejections.

I've contributed to propagating that meme in this thread, but I've always presented it as my speculation on a possible reason why they would wait a long time to release rejections in general. Even in previous years when there was an earlier wave of rejections, LSN indicates it mostly included people who were Complete in the Fall, so who had plenty of time to go through faculty review (or not). I suspect Yale Admissions has a general desire to obscure which rejected applicants went through faculty review and which didn't, but it doesn't fully explain this year's delay relative to previous year's.

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:47 am

hoyasaxa13 wrote:

I kinda doubt that people who submitted in 2016, especially Nov, are in FR. They (we) are probably either borderline candidates who got through FR with a 10/11 score and are being kept around for WL (maaaybe a few admits), or we're just in a reject pile that's waiting to be processed.

lalalala

notsonotorious

Bronze

Postby notsonotorious » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:49 am

pretzeltime wrote:
lalalala

+1 million

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:53 am

pretzeltime wrote:
hoyasaxa13 wrote:

I kinda doubt that people who submitted in 2016, especially Nov, are in FR. They (we) are probably either borderline candidates who got through FR with a 10/11 score and are being kept around for WL (maaaybe a few admits), or we're just in a reject pile that's waiting to be processed.

lalalala

What is faculty review even based on?

notsonotorious

Bronze

Postby notsonotorious » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:53 am

Does someone know how to mute all emails in Gmail except Yale? Thx

wmcelhan

New

Postby wmcelhan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:53 am

Checking in for the first time, still anxiously awaiting results. Above both 75%, but no work experience so expect this to end poorly.

notsonotorious

Bronze

Postby notsonotorious » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:54 am

OneHandedEconomist wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
hoyasaxa13 wrote:

lalalala

My hypo:
- can this person write?
- do they seem annoying?

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Postby seeprybyrun » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:54 am

pretzeltime wrote:
hoyasaxa13 wrote:

lalalala

https://law.yale.edu/admissions/jd-admi ... sha/secret

Whatever the profs want, really.

Edit: I suspect notsonotorious isn't far from the truth in most cases.
Last edited by seeprybyrun on Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:55 am

notsonotorious wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
hoyasaxa13 wrote:

lalalala

My hypo:
- can this person write?
- do they seem annoying?

that would prob be my only criterion if I were reading files.

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:56 am

well hey I mean at least the Y thread is finally popping off.......... we're starting to reach Harvard levels of crowds and neuroses.... well not quite but

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:57 am

seeprybyrun wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
hoyasaxa13 wrote:

lalalala

https://law.yale.edu/admissions/jd-admi ... sha/secret

Whatever the profs want, really.

Damn only 25% go to faculty?

Gulp.

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:57 am

I wish I had this kind of optimism, but only ~25% of applicants go to faculty review. No way that wave hit 75% of applicants yesterday.

Monday

Silver

Postby Monday » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:59 am

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?