Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

if waitlisted, are you going to stay on it?

yes, until the very end
37
45%
yes, but only until July (or something like that)
17
20%
no
18
22%
idk???
11
13%
 
Total votes: 83

xnsch

Bronze
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:31 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby xnsch » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:06 pm

canafsa wrote:Decided to scrap my 250 and start anew.

I've probably invested more time into these godawful 250 words than the entirety of my personal statement at this point.


I know that feeling. I easily went through triple the amount of drafts for my 250 as I did for my PS. Worst part was that they're so short that if i didn't like a draft there wasn't much tweaking I could do and just had to throw it out and start over again

User avatar
taxman14

Bronze
Posts: 498
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:04 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby taxman14 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:31 am

Finally complete woo! Best of luck to everyone and here's to finding out ok February, March, or April. All prepare for a LONGGGGG winter

User avatar
Baby Gaga

Bronze
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Baby Gaga » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:44 am

taxman14 wrote:Finally complete woo! Best of luck to everyone and here's to finding out ok February, March, or April. All prepare for a LONGGGGG winter


Same. Went complete tooday. Now to not think about it for 4 months

User avatar
ayylmao

Silver
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:38 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ayylmao » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:45 pm

My answer to the poll is T-Swift. Shake it tf off.

Also, how are you all formatting your "College Activities" attachment? Separate sections for (a), (b), and (c)?

User avatar
Christinabruin

Bronze
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Christinabruin » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:11 pm

Did anyone else submit their optional resume even if it essentially repeats information in the post-college activities and college activities forms? Wondering if I should or not... :(

User avatar
Christinabruin

Bronze
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Christinabruin » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:12 pm

ayylmao wrote:My answer to the poll is T-Swift. Shake it tf off.

Also, how are you all formatting your "College Activities" attachment? Separate sections for (a), (b), and (c)?


I'm going to do bullet points for each section of (a), (b), and (c). It's definitely gonna be less than a page altogether :cry:

ProductofUnreality

Bronze
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:29 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ProductofUnreality » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:16 pm

Christinabruin wrote:Did anyone else submit their optional resume even if it essentially repeats information in the post-college activities and college activities forms? Wondering if I should or not... :(


I submitted my resume. I used the post-college form as a way to beef up the things listed on my resume and share what I got out of them. "I did x and from that I learned y and z" kind of stuff that doesn't belong or fit on a one page resume. They have a specific slot for a resume, so why not?

User avatar
Christinabruin

Bronze
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Christinabruin » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:20 pm

ProductofUnreality wrote:
Christinabruin wrote:Did anyone else submit their optional resume even if it essentially repeats information in the post-college activities and college activities forms? Wondering if I should or not... :(


I submitted my resume. I used the post-college form as a way to beef up the things listed on my resume and share what I got out of them. "I did x and from that I learned y and z" kind of stuff that doesn't belong or fit on a one page resume. They have a specific slot for a resume, so why not?


Hey Productofunreality, that's a really great idea! Thanks for sharing :) I wasn't thinking that far and didn't want to sound repetitive with my resume LOL

ProductofUnreality

Bronze
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:29 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ProductofUnreality » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:31 pm

Christinabruin wrote:
ProductofUnreality wrote:
Christinabruin wrote:Did anyone else submit their optional resume even if it essentially repeats information in the post-college activities and college activities forms? Wondering if I should or not... :(


I submitted my resume. I used the post-college form as a way to beef up the things listed on my resume and share what I got out of them. "I did x and from that I learned y and z" kind of stuff that doesn't belong or fit on a one page resume. They have a specific slot for a resume, so why not?


Hey Productofunreality, that's a really great idea! Thanks for sharing :) I wasn't thinking that far and didn't want to sound repetitive with my resume LOL


Np. I didn't want to be repetitive either, but knew I was sending my resume, so I tried to find a way not to be. Plus I needed about as much space as possible to convince them to like me, my numbers alone aren't going to do it lmao

User avatar
Christinabruin

Bronze
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Christinabruin » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:16 pm

ProductofUnreality wrote:
Christinabruin wrote:
ProductofUnreality wrote:
Christinabruin wrote:Did anyone else submit their optional resume even if it essentially repeats information in the post-college activities and college activities forms? Wondering if I should or not... :(


I submitted my resume. I used the post-college form as a way to beef up the things listed on my resume and share what I got out of them. "I did x and from that I learned y and z" kind of stuff that doesn't belong or fit on a one page resume. They have a specific slot for a resume, so why not?


Hey Productofunreality, that's a really great idea! Thanks for sharing :) I wasn't thinking that far and didn't want to sound repetitive with my resume LOL


Np. I didn't want to be repetitive either, but knew I was sending my resume, so I tried to find a way not to be. Plus I needed about as much space as possible to convince them to like me, my numbers alone aren't going to do it lmao


LOL SAME. Yale is an extreme reach school for me hahaha :lol:

User avatar
Aquinas

Bronze
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:28 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Aquinas » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:27 pm

Anyone have a clue on whether footnotes in a Yale 250 would be included in the word count--provided that those footnotes include only citations, and not substantive essay content? In my present draft, I refer to a couple law journal articles and scholarly books, and I'm thinking it'd be proper to include full cites in footnotes...

And more broadly speaking, have any of y'all come across good examples of more academic/argumentative Y250's from years past? Most of the examples I've seen on this site seem to take a more narrative/anecdotal tack...

canafsa

Bronze
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:50 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby canafsa » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:57 pm

.
Last edited by canafsa on Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ayylmao

Silver
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:38 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ayylmao » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:03 pm

Submitted and now just waiting to go complete! Here goes my moonshot.

User avatar
pretzeltime

Gold
Posts: 1993
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby pretzeltime » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:18 am

ayylmao wrote:Submitted and now just waiting to go complete! Here goes my moonshot.


woop woop!

User avatar
pretzeltime

Gold
Posts: 1993
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby pretzeltime » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:20 am

New poll kids. It's beginning to look a lot like the nondenominational holiday of your choosing !

Fantasyfreak294

New
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Fantasyfreak294 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:19 pm

Hello!

User avatar
pretzeltime

Gold
Posts: 1993
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby pretzeltime » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:37 pm

Fantasyfreak294 wrote:Hello!


hi!

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Mikey » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:39 pm

pretzeltime wrote:
Fantasyfreak294 wrote:Hello!


hi!

not an applicant but just wanted to say hi as well. :)

User avatar
Kaziende

Bronze
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:10 am

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Kaziende » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:04 pm

Hi everyone! (Glad we did this. Passed the time.)

User avatar
pretzeltime

Gold
Posts: 1993
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby pretzeltime » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:00 pm

Thanks everyone for your votes!!! All options seem pretty legit to me.

Just realized that I probably shouldn't be looking forward to the start of calls because that prob means the start of monthssssssssss of waiting 4 me. Right now I live in ignorant bliss as to whether Y wants me or not.

But, should be fun to get this ball rolling. Right?


Right??

?

tinycatfriend

Bronze
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby tinycatfriend » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:18 pm

Debating on Yale 250 - either writing a description of my (published!) research paper or talking about the complexity of faith - I've noticed successful Yale PS are usually more academic/theoretical - any tips?

User avatar
pretzeltime

Gold
Posts: 1993
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby pretzeltime » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:49 pm

tinycatfriend wrote:Debating on Yale 250 - either writing a description of my (published!) research paper or talking about the complexity of faith - I've noticed successful Yale PS are usually more academic/theoretical - any tips?


Blind leading the blind here, but I think this kind of depends on what your PS is like. I think the 250 should ideally complement the PS and show a different side of you. Or at least shift gears to stave away boredom on the part of the application reader. If your PS is on the dry/academic side, then a more personal 250 is nice. If your PS is super personal, then a more academic 250 would be nice. etc etc etc

Also, it's easier to answer this question if there are drafts of both to read. ^__^

User avatar
RictusErectus

Bronze
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:31 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby RictusErectus » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:08 pm

tinycatfriend wrote:Debating on Yale 250 - either writing a description of my (published!) research paper or talking about the complexity of faith - I've noticed successful Yale PS are usually more academic/theoretical - any tips?


Where are you getting that observation from? :o

tinycatfriend

Bronze
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby tinycatfriend » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:09 pm

RictusErectus wrote:
tinycatfriend wrote:Debating on Yale 250 - either writing a description of my (published!) research paper or talking about the complexity of faith - I've noticed successful Yale PS are usually more academic/theoretical - any tips?


Where are you getting that observation from? :o


Primarily from people who I know who have gotten in/admissions counselors - since the Yale process involves more professorial input than most, I've been advised that appealing to professors is helpful (without seeming like too much of a smart-aleck)

User avatar
pretzeltime

Gold
Posts: 1993
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby pretzeltime » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:11 pm

tinycatfriend wrote:
RictusErectus wrote:
tinycatfriend wrote:Debating on Yale 250 - either writing a description of my (published!) research paper or talking about the complexity of faith - I've noticed successful Yale PS are usually more academic/theoretical - any tips?


Where are you getting that observation from? :o


Primarily from people who I know who have gotten in/admissions counselors - since the Yale process involves more professorial input than most, I've been advised that appealing to professors is helpful (without seeming like too much of a smart-aleck)


Welp, sounds like you've got better insight than me :D



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: eagle17, Google [Bot], QUIZ and 26 guests