Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
playersball

Bronze

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby playersball » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:06 pm

UR2 today! Went complete mid-October, UR1 on 11/21.
LSAT is at 75th and 25<GPA<50.

Last year's thread showed a quick turnaround from UR2 to decision but recent tweets hint at otherwise this year? Sorry i am just catching up with Penn!

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:08 pm

---
Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:12 pm

---
Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eck456

Bronze

Postby eck456 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:23 pm

OK guys I just submitted an app and am now kicking myself because I did something potentially very stupid without a huge amount of forethought...tell me if I'm as dumb as I think I am? (I recognize this is TLS so maybe this is courting disaster)

I applied to Penn last year from California and didn't have a strong intention of going. Applied mostly for negotiation reasons, didn't write a Why Penn, didn't communicate w them, etc. Was pretty quickly WL, and I assumed it was at least partially YP. I never took myself off the WL, and they literally emailed me 2 weeks into my current grad policy program saying I was taken off (like this past August 11). I never replied to any of the WL notifications, never updated a resume, added a reference, etc.

So at this point I came back to the East coast to start policy school and am reapplying to law programs since i gave up my spot at a well-regarded Cali law school (decided to start w policy not law for both financial and family reasons). For most schools I'm reapplying to on the east coast I was actively involved, but Penn I literally never dropped off or even sent them an email. So I added an addendum to my application this year basically apologizing for not being an active waitlist participant last year, explaining the family reasons I moved to the East coast this year, and emphasizing that in this new world Penn law is at the top of my list.

Was that a terrible idea? Was that just emphasizing that I was kind of disrespectful last year? Up till I pressed send I thought it was giving context to what happened and why I'm reapplying, but now I'm realizing it could be seen really negatively. Thoughts? I mean what's done is done, but I'm worried I shot myself in the foot...this time I did actually do the Why Penn, teams essay, etc. so hopefully they know I'm serious

hellohalo

Silver

Postby hellohalo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:25 pm

seems like not too long between UR1 and UR2
Good luck everyone

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:28 pm

---
Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aquinas

Bronze

Postby Aquinas » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:32 pm

eck456 wrote:OK guys I just submitted an app and am now kicking myself because I did something potentially very stupid without a huge amount of forethought...tell me if I'm as dumb as I think I am? (I recognize this is TLS so maybe this is courting disaster)

I applied to Penn last year from California and didn't have a strong intention of going. Applied mostly for negotiation reasons, didn't write a Why Penn, didn't communicate w them, etc. Was pretty quickly WL, and I assumed it was at least partially YP. I never took myself off the WL, and they literally emailed me 2 weeks into my current grad policy program saying I was taken off (like this past August 11). I never replied to any of the WL notifications, never updated a resume, added a reference, etc.

So at this point I came back to the East coast to start policy school and am reapplying to law programs since i gave up my spot at a well-regarded Cali law school (decided to start w policy not law for both financial and family reasons). For most schools I'm reapplying to on the east coast I was actively involved, but Penn I literally never dropped off or even sent them an email. So I added an addendum to my application this year basically apologizing for not being an active waitlist participant last year, explaining the family reasons I moved to the East coast this year, and emphasizing that in this new world Penn law is at the top of my list.

Was that a terrible idea? Was that just emphasizing that I was kind of disrespectful last year? Up till I pressed send I thought it was giving context to what happened and why I'm reapplying, but now I'm realizing it could be seen really negatively. Thoughts? I mean what's done is done, but I'm worried I shot myself in the foot...this time I did actually do the Why Penn, teams essay, etc. so hopefully they know I'm serious

Sounds like you went out of your way to admit a past wrong, apologize for it, and explain that you've learned from it. Can't speculate as to whether Penn's admissions officer feel the same way, but in my book, what you did is the polite, honorable, and courageous thing to do. Good on you, and best of luck.

PDX4343

Silver

Postby PDX4343 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:00 am

mm2368 wrote:Has anyone not gone UR2 and applied prior to 11/1?
Also another quick question: does Penn release dings and acceptances at the same or does one precede the other?

Yeah I applied in September. I'm still UR1, and changed to that along with the rest of the 11/21 people. Pretty big splitter, so I'm expecting either a waitlist or ding.

jtawil

New

Postby jtawil » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:41 am

Hey guys

Excuse my ignorance, but what are UR1 and UR2 that everyone here keeps referring to?
Also what is their significance to the admissions process?

TudoBem

Bronze

Postby TudoBem » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:27 am

jtawil wrote:Hey guys

Excuse my ignorance, but what are UR1 and UR2 that everyone here keeps referring to?

they are just the dates showing on your status check. The dates change as the process moves forward. You need to be checking almost everyday to notice the change. My Penn application was complete Nov 14, and under committee review (UCR) on Nov 21. It did not change yet. When it changes, we say UCR2. Sometimes people just call UR1 (first date the application was under review) or UR2 (second date).

jtawil

New

Postby jtawil » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:10 am

TudoBem wrote:

they are just the dates showing on your status check. The dates change as the process moves forward. You need to be checking almost everyday to notice the change. My Penn application was complete Nov 14, and under committee review (UCR) on Nov 21. It did not change yet. When it changes, we say UCR2. Sometimes people just call UR1 (first date the application was under review) or UR2 (second date).

Ohh okay thanks. So what does it mean if my UR2 is 12/5?

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:10 am

PDX4343 wrote:
mm2368 wrote:Has anyone not gone UR2 and applied prior to 11/1?
Also another quick question: does Penn release dings and acceptances at the same or does one precede the other?

Yeah I applied in September. I'm still UR1, and changed to that along with the rest of the 11/21 people. Pretty big splitter, so I'm expecting either a waitlist or ding.

did you write an optional essay?

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:19 am

---
Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TudoBem

Bronze

Postby TudoBem » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:17 pm

jtawil wrote:
TudoBem wrote:

We just speculate... may be the decision is coming soon?? IDK, it's just speculation. Mine is UR1 since 11/21. :|

potterotter

Bronze

Postby potterotter » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:38 pm

---
Last edited by potterotter on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:40 pm

---
Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

potterotter

Bronze

Postby potterotter » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:45 pm

---
Last edited by potterotter on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

VA2lawschool

Bronze

Postby VA2lawschool » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:49 pm

TudoBem wrote:
jtawil wrote:
TudoBem wrote:

We just speculate... may be the decision is coming soon?? IDK, it's just speculation. Mine is UR1 since 11/21. :|

I'm UR1 since 11/21 too, and applied at the end of September. :/

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:54 pm

VA2lawschool wrote:
TudoBem wrote:
jtawil wrote:
TudoBem wrote:

How are your numbers?

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:13 pm

---
Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:30 pm

mm2368 wrote:[quote="Assasindowntheavenue" How are your numbers?

p sure s/he got into NYU & Duke... doubt they have any reason to worry lol.[/quote]

Well it's harder to get into Penn than Duke, in terms of numbers, and the numbers are close for NYU as well. But yeah they probably don't have anything to worry about. I only asked because of this article I read from Mike MS9, talking about numbers, amongst other things that may slow down app process.

I recommend it if anyone hasn't read it by now.

==error==/how-lo ... o-be-read/

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:42 pm

---
Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:52 pm

mm2368 wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote: ==error==/how-lo ... o-be-read/

Thanks for this, sincerely appreciate it - makes me feel a lot better and provides some good understanding. especially for me, as a huge reverse splitter. not sure why I'm already UR2 at Penn based on the article - then again... I can sit at UR2 for months, too, I'm sure.

Does anyone know if going UR2 means you will def get a decision too, or if there are UR2 people who in the past have had to wait months, too?

Happy to help. It's truly a clusterfuck this whole process, but we'll all make it through in the end.

I was looking at last year's thread and a lot seemed to have decisions shortly (+\- 10 days) after UR2. Then again I got busy at work and couldn't comb through more than a few pages. Maybe someone with time to kill can help us out on this front? :)

VA2lawschool

Bronze

Postby VA2lawschool » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:54 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:
TudoBem wrote:
jtawil wrote:
TudoBem wrote:

How are your numbers?

Thanks for the MS9 link, that was helpful! GPA is >25 but <50 and LSAT >75. Into NYU/UVA/Berk but I thought my GPA might be a sticking point for Penn.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:57 pm

VA2lawschool wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:
TudoBem wrote:
jtawil wrote:
TudoBem wrote:

How are your numbers?

Thanks for the MS9 link, that was helpful! GPA is >25 but <50 and LSAT >75. Into NYU/UVA/Berk but I thought my GPA might be a sticking point for Penn.

No problem. And damn grats on your LSAT/acceptances. Penn's GPA percentiles are a bitch, but so are Berkeley's and you made it there. So I'd say you still have a great chance.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?