Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
notnecessarilyproper

New

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby notnecessarilyproper » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:54 am

Yep, also UR1 yesterday!

BrittanyJeream

Bronze

Postby BrittanyJeream » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:55 am

UR1 as of yesterday, 12/5. Submitted 11/2; Complete 11/3

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:22 pm

Do you think I can resend my core values essay and mention that it was revised? Is that bad? :( I'm already UCR2

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:28 pm

---
Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:35 pm

mm2368 wrote:
Keilz wrote:Do you think I can resend my core values essay and mention that it was revised? Is that bad? :( I'm already UCR2

at first, I wrote "give it a shot" and then thought a bit more. on one hand, you might see it as a last ditch, nothing-to-lose effort. But, what if they frown upon this submission: "Oh, s/he didn't get it right the first time, whereas others did, and now s/he's expecting us to read the corrected version. isn't necessarily fair to other candidates"

on the other hand, they're very nice in communication and of the many T14 adcoms I met, by far the kindest. if anyone is going to be accepting of a corrected submission, it's Penn. I'm undecided, and maybe this was not helpful but... just my 2 cents.

+1. Unless you fixed a huge error in your essay, I wouldn't advise you do it.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:38 pm

mm2368 wrote:
Keilz wrote:Do you think I can resend my core values essay and mention that it was revised? Is that bad? :( I'm already UCR2

at first, I wrote "give it a shot" and then thought a bit more. on one hand, you might see it as a last ditch, nothing-to-lose effort. But, what if they frown upon this submission: "Oh, s/he didn't get it right the first time, whereas others did, and now s/he's expecting us to read the corrected version. isn't necessarily fair to other candidates"

on the other hand, they're very nice in communication and of the many T14 adcoms I met, by far the kindest. if anyone is going to be accepting of a corrected submission, it's Penn. I'm undecided, and maybe this was not helpful but... just my 2 cents.

Yeah, I think I'm over-reacting. The essay is wordy, repetitive, and definitely not my best work, but there are no typos or anything (except my misuse of a semi colon) and it's an extra essay so I'm not sure how much weight they put on it compared to my personal statement.

lawlawland16

New

Postby lawlawland16 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:09 pm

Keilz wrote:
mm2368 wrote:

Yeah, I think I'm over-reacting. The essay is wordy, repetitive, and definitely not my best work, but there are no typos or anything (except my misuse of a semi colon) and it's an extra essay so I'm not sure how much weight they put on it compared to my personal statement.

Hi Keilz! I wouldn't send a corrected version. What is done is done since you're at UCR2, and I doubt it will be a make or break it for you! You have provided other samples of your writing with your admissions material. I have a feeling the other writing will eclipse any weakness in your Core Values essay. I totally understand why you're freaking out--I refuse to look at any of my submitted work for this very reason! My fingers are crossed for you!

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:12 pm

lawlawland16 wrote:
Keilz wrote:
mm2368 wrote:

Hi Keilz! I wouldn't send a corrected version. What is done is done since you're at UCR2, and I doubt it will be a make or break it for you! You have provided other samples of your writing with your admissions material. I have a feeling the other writing will eclipse any weakness in your Core Values essay. I totally understand why you're freaking out--I refuse to look at any of my submitted work for this very reason! My fingers are crossed for you!

Thanks!! :D

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Postby Bob loblaw law blog » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:13 am

Finally hitting apply tonight and going to stop feeling stressed every time I see this thread bumped haha. Good luck everyone!

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:22 am

Bob loblaw law blog wrote:Finally hitting apply tonight and going to stop feeling stressed every time I see this thread bumped haha. Good luck everyone!

just did it yesterday, felt good!

VapidP

Bronze

Postby VapidP » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:54 am

UR1 Today. Submitted 11/23. Complete 11/28

Christinabruin

Bronze

Postby Christinabruin » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:55 am

Keilz wrote:
Christinabruin wrote:
Keilz wrote:Just reread my core values essay which I could t get reviewed by others as much as my other essays, and I did it in one day when I took off from work, and I hate it :'(

This is why I'm scared to reread the essays that I've already submitted lol :cry:

I know I shouldn't have done it, especially at like 12 am. I used a semi colon incorrectly in the first sentence :cry: I also put "opportunities" in be beginning and then in my conclusion just put "opportunity" so it doesn't even match, and the language is very, very repetitive. I don't know how I submitted this, they're all very easy fixes. I don't know what to do now :( I know my personal statement is fine, and all my other essays for my other schools. But penn is one of my first choices. Hope they don't spend too much time analyzing it

I'm sure if I reread my Why essay I'll find similar and maybe more mistakes too! I wouldn't worry too much since they probably spend more time reading your PS, and at least you didn't get the name of the school wrong, which would be the ultimate mistake! :)

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:16 pm

UR2 today, 12/7.

lawcapture

Bronze

Postby lawcapture » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:22 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:UR2 today, 12/7.

me too :shock:

defunct

New

Postby defunct » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:25 pm

so far I have applied to most of the top 20 law schools except Penn. I'm not sure what's holding me back - maybe its vague, uninformed ideas of Philadelphia being not fun, maybe it's not having a very good personal reason for "why penn." Is it worth a $30 report fee if I just don't have any pressing desire to attend? Are the opportunities one gets graduating from Penn, being #7 and all, really that incredible relative to lower T14?

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:28 pm

---
Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:29 pm

lawcapture wrote:

Woot! Decisions start in December right?

lawcapture

Bronze

Postby lawcapture » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:57 pm

mm2368 wrote:
defunct wrote:so far I have applied to most of the top 20 law schools except Penn. I'm not sure what's holding me back - maybe its vague, uninformed ideas of Philadelphia being not fun, maybe it's not having a very good personal reason for "why penn." Is it worth a $30 report fee if I just don't have any pressing desire to attend? Are the opportunities one gets graduating from Penn, being #7 and all, really that incredible relative to lower T14?

"I don't have any pressing desire to attend"
yeah, I'd say don't waste the $30!

If you think you'd get in, I'd say do it just for negotiating purposes if your numbers are good

lawcapture

Bronze

Postby lawcapture » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:58 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
lawcapture wrote:

Woot! Decisions start in December right?

yep thinking well know before xmas one way or another but maybe not who knows

hellohalo

Silver

Postby hellohalo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:04 pm

lawcapture wrote:

Complete and UR1 dates? Thank you guys.

lawcapture

Bronze

Postby lawcapture » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:06 pm

hellohalo wrote:
lawcapture wrote:

idk when I went complete, sometime in late september though since I submitted early, UR 1 on 11/21 im a splitter fwiw

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:16 pm

---
Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:29 pm

hellohalo wrote:
lawcapture wrote:

Complete 9/16 and UR1 I think 12/2.

Why???

New

Postby Why??? » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:36 pm

UR2 as well

LtotheB

New

Postby LtotheB » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:02 pm

defunct wrote:so far I have applied to most of the top 20 law schools except Penn. I'm not sure what's holding me back - maybe its vague, uninformed ideas of Philadelphia being not fun, maybe it's not having a very good personal reason for "why penn." Is it worth a $30 report fee if I just don't have any pressing desire to attend? Are the opportunities one gets graduating from Penn, being #7 and all, really that incredible relative to lower T14?

FWIW, I'm an undergrad at Penn right now. Came here expecting to not like Philadelphia, but can honestly say I love it now. It's a lot of fun and there's always something going on Thursday through Saturday around Penn. Its reputation as "the social Ivy" is justified, IMO.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?