Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:37 am

I'd have performed a monologue - likely the Audition from La La Land, but with my own social justice spin on the lyrics instead.

It'd be that or something from "Sybil" (credits to Mary Catherine Gallagher), because I want them to know I'm passionate but also bat shit.

Yeah, I can see why I was waitlisted!

lsa16

Bronze

Postby lsa16 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:40 am

jonofalltrades wrote:
SmallK wrote:
lawlawland16 wrote:
lsa16 wrote:
airwrecka wrote:Someone who is applying for the Toll scholarship, please tell me you're just answering the video question like an interview and not doing some weird "creative" video. I feel bad because it specifically says to be creative and not just read a script, but I have NO idea how to make a creative 2 minute video that addresses such a specific question. Yes, I know it's due tomorrow so even if I could think of something creative, I don't have time to do it between now and then, but I have been thinking about this for weeks and nothing has come to me :?

Hello! I am also just doing the video like an interview, no worries....or, if there is something to be worried about, you are at least not alone!

Same. My video is SO awkward.

I figure that trying to do something creative with 0 experience and failing miserably is worse than just doing it like an interview, so I'm right there with y'all.

After submitting video, I'm now nervous I didn't put enough effort into it. What do you all think -- do Toll judges care more about what got you into Penn or about a stellar video/essay responses?

I don't know what they actually prioritize, but it wouldn't make a lot of sense to select future public interest lawyers based on their artistic or film editing skills. That said, hopefully no one with amazing content also happens to be a pro with a camera

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:42 am

jonofalltrades wrote:
SmallK wrote:
lawlawland16 wrote:
lsa16 wrote:
airwrecka wrote:Someone who is applying for the Toll scholarship, please tell me you're just answering the video question like an interview and not doing some weird "creative" video. I feel bad because it specifically says to be creative and not just read a script, but I have NO idea how to make a creative 2 minute video that addresses such a specific question. Yes, I know it's due tomorrow so even if I could think of something creative, I don't have time to do it between now and then, but I have been thinking about this for weeks and nothing has come to me :?

Hello! I am also just doing the video like an interview, no worries....or, if there is something to be worried about, you are at least not alone!

I figure that trying to do something creative with 0 experience and failing miserably is worse than just doing it like an interview, so I'm right there with y'all.

After submitting video, I'm now nervous I didn't put enough effort into it. What do you all think -- do Toll judges care more about what got you into Penn or about a stellar video/essay responses?

I think they probably consider the Toll application package as a whole very strongly, otherwise they would just give out the Tolls based on our initial application package. That being said, I don't think having good Toll essays/video will necessarily outweigh having no prior work experience/demonstration of an interest in PI work, and I don't think that having average essays/video will necessarily take someone with a lot of prior experience and demonstrated commitment to PI out of the running. My opinion on the video is that it kind of weeds people out - if you really have no interest in PI work, having to make a two minute video as part of your application might dissuade you from applying more than just having to write some essays. The video requirement helps ensure that the committee is reviewing applicants that have more of a genuine interest in PI and aren't just looking for a full scholarship.

This is all biased probably because I don't think my video was super great but I did put a lot of effort into it. My hope for it is that it is, at worst, a neutral part of my application. I don't know if it will help at all, but I hope it doesn't hurt/take away from my written responses and the rest of my application.

jonofalltrades

New

Postby jonofalltrades » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:53 am

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
jonofalltrades wrote:
SmallK wrote:
lawlawland16 wrote:
lsa16 wrote:

I think they probably consider the Toll application package as a whole very strongly, otherwise they would just give out the Tolls based on our initial application package. That being said, I don't think having good Toll essays/video will necessarily outweigh having no prior work experience/demonstration of an interest in PI work, and I don't think that having average essays/video will necessarily take someone with a lot of prior experience and demonstrated commitment to PI out of the running. My opinion on the video is that it kind of weeds people out - if you really have no interest in PI work, having to make a two minute video as part of your application might dissuade you from applying more than just having to write some essays. The video requirement helps ensure that the committee is reviewing applicants that have more of a genuine interest in PI and aren't just looking for a full scholarship.

This is all biased probably because I don't think my video was super great but I did put a lot of effort into it. My hope for it is that it is, at worst, a neutral part of my application. I don't know if it will help at all, but I hope it doesn't hurt/take away from my written responses and the rest of my application.

I think that's a reasonable explanation, about weeding people out. Anyone could write a few essay paragraphs, but a video does take some extra effort people don't want to put in.

I'm gonna take this explanation and feel better about myself.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:54 am

jonofalltrades wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
jonofalltrades wrote:
SmallK wrote:
lawlawland16 wrote:
lsa16 wrote:

I think that's a reasonable explanation, about weeding people out. Anyone could write a few essay paragraphs, but a video does take some extra effort people don't want to put in.

+1

lawlawland16

New

Postby lawlawland16 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:00 pm

jonofalltrades wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
jonofalltrades wrote:
SmallK wrote:
lawlawland16 wrote:
lsa16 wrote:

amen.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:10 pm

Anybody else want to wildly speculate when Toll interview invites will come out? March 11 looks like the first notification of interviews the past two years, so I'm thinking maybe March 13 for us?

dbalkaran

Silver

Postby dbalkaran » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:35 pm

So for those of you that have been accepted already how long were you UR for? It seems like it was about a month from what I read...I've been complete since 2/1, UR since 2/7 so I'm wondering if they're close to rendering a decision.

hbdash

New

Postby hbdash » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:23 pm

Last edited by hbdash on Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dyebri

Bronze

Postby dyebri » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:26 pm

hbdash wrote:Decision day - good luck everyone!

How do you know

hbdash

New

Postby hbdash » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:27 pm

dyebri wrote:

How do you know

Last edited by hbdash on Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ohgosh

New

Postby ohgosh » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:28 pm

Do status checkers change before you get the phone call sometimes?

BrittanyJeream

Bronze

Postby BrittanyJeream » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:37 pm

GOOD LUCK, EVERYONE!

jonofalltrades

New

Postby jonofalltrades » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:45 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:Anybody else want to wildly speculate when Toll interview invites will come out? March 11 looks like the first notification of interviews the past two years, so I'm thinking maybe March 13 for us?

I have it on my calendar for 3/15 but I don't know how I arrived at that determination! I'm visiting on 3/14 so if I'm lucky I will know the status when I visit...

hbdash

New

Postby hbdash » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:53 pm

ohgosh wrote:

Do status checkers change before you get the phone call sometimes?

Last edited by hbdash on Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

musiclover123

New

Postby musiclover123 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:25 pm

in via voicemail. i can't breathe- this is a dream come true

hbdash

New

Postby hbdash » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:31 pm

musiclover123 wrote:in via voicemail. i can't breathe- this is a dream come true

Last edited by hbdash on Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ColombiaConfused

New

Postby ColombiaConfused » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:32 pm

musiclover123 wrote:in via voicemail. i can't breathe- this is a dream come true

Congratulations!!! :)

musiclover123

New

Postby musiclover123 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:33 pm

hbdash wrote:

Congrats!! What were your UR dates?

1/19 [not positive about this one, it was around this time] and 2/24

kaptainkeepa

Bronze

Postby kaptainkeepa » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:46 pm

Waitlisted....meh.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:47 pm

Penn accepted like 6 people this year so I ain't even mad about my WL anymore.

exnyc

New

Postby exnyc » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:54 pm

164 3.88 Waitlisted 01/03/17 03/03/17 1 minute
167 4.05 Waitlisted 12/04/16 03/03/17 2 minutes
177 3.73 Waitlisted 01/02/17 01/10/17 03/03/17 3 minutes
164 4.05 Waitlisted 01/07/17 03/03/17 8 minutes
167 3.88 Waitlisted W 01/03/17 01/12/17 03/03/17 10 minutes
167 3.96 Waitlisted 01/03/17 01/12/17 03/03/17 12 minutes

looks like everyone is headed to the waitlist regardless of numbers :shock: :shock: :shock:

Nightwing

Bronze

Postby Nightwing » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:59 pm

exnyc wrote:164 3.88 Waitlisted 01/03/17 03/03/17 1 minute
167 4.05 Waitlisted 12/04/16 03/03/17 2 minutes
177 3.73 Waitlisted 01/02/17 01/10/17 03/03/17 3 minutes
164 4.05 Waitlisted 01/07/17 03/03/17 8 minutes
167 3.88 Waitlisted W 01/03/17 01/12/17 03/03/17 10 minutes
167 3.96 Waitlisted 01/03/17 01/12/17 03/03/17 12 minutes

looks like everyone is headed to the waitlist regardless of numbers :shock: :shock: :shock:

this cycle in a nutshell :P

ohgosh

New

Postby ohgosh » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:13 pm

Anyone here waiting since 2016? :shock: Haven't heard anything through all these waves lol

hbdash

New

Postby hbdash » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:14 pm

Waitlisted today, responded to the email with a short reply that I want to remain on the waitlist. Do I send a LOCI and the additional two page essay they suggest or only one?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?