Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
StopLawying

Silver
Posts: 686
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:23 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby StopLawying » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:43 pm

Really dejected right now, wanted Penn so badly and was just waitlisted. And the waitlist numbers look terrible, so there's very little shot I end up getting in.

But I'm gonna ride this out till the end, maybe visit the school next week and write a LOCI. Someone mentioned before that you can place a deposit down at another school and then forfeit it if you end up getting accepted. Does this apply to the first deposit only, or can you also withdraw after the second one? Is it unethical? I think the second deposits at some top 14's are in mid-May, and that's when Penn begins to evaluate waitlisted applicants. It'll suck having to ride this out until late in the summer, just wish I knew at this time where I'll be next year like most of you here. The stress never ends.

goldenbear2020

Silver
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby goldenbear2020 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:46 pm

StopLawying wrote:Really dejected right now, wanted Penn so badly and was just waitlisted. And the waitlist numbers look terrible, so there's very little shot I end up getting in.

But I'm gonna ride this out till the end, maybe visit the school next week and write a LOCI. Someone mentioned before that you can place a deposit down at another school and then forfeit it if you end up getting accepted. Does this apply to the first deposit only, or can you also withdraw after the second one? Is it unethical? I think the second deposits at some top 14's are in mid-May, and that's when Penn begins to evaluate waitlisted applicants. It'll suck having to ride this out until late in the summer, just wish I knew at this time where I'll be next year like most of you here. The stress never ends.

Not unethical at all. As long as you deposit at only one school to which you've been accepted, feel free to remain on any WLs. If and when you accept a seat off a WL, you just lose your first and/or second deposits from the first school.

User avatar
skurfy

New
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:45 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby skurfy » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:14 pm

WL via status checker - no e-mail yet

User avatar
lawbatman

New
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby lawbatman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:41 pm

kaptainkeepa wrote:UR2 today and I don't even care anymore.


I'm UR2 since mid-January. Anyone else with this?

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby proteinshake » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:49 pm

WL. sucks cause I actually like Penn and people with lower numbers have gotten in. *sigh*

StopLawying

Silver
Posts: 686
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:23 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby StopLawying » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:49 pm

lawbatman wrote:
kaptainkeepa wrote:UR2 today and I don't even care anymore.


I'm UR2 since mid-January. Anyone else with this?


Probably a good sign since ppl with later UR2 dates got waitlisted today.

kaptainkeepa

Bronze
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:03 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby kaptainkeepa » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:03 pm

StopLawying wrote:
lawbatman wrote:
kaptainkeepa wrote:UR2 today and I don't even care anymore.


I'm UR2 since mid-January. Anyone else with this?


Probably a good sign since ppl with later UR2 dates got waitlisted today.


I think I will survive if I don't get into Penn as it really isn't a top choice but I just want to know!! :?

User avatar
Instrumental

Silver
Posts: 1393
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:08 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby Instrumental » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:03 pm

lsa16 wrote:Not an expert but I think you can maybe deposit without withdrawing from waitlists elsewhere


EWofNell wrote:Very sorry to hear of the waitlists. You can, btw, deposit elsewhere while sitting on whichever waitlists you choose to sit on. If you are admitted off a waitlist, you typically can choose to forfeit the deposit to the first school and withdraw your acceptance of their offer and then deposit at the school that just admitted you.

Anyone out there who went UR2 on the 24th hear anything?


Ah okay, that makes me a little less concerned. I had the same question about it as Stop Lawying. Still will suck if I have to drop more than one seat deposit. :\

StopLawying wrote:Really dejected right now, wanted Penn so badly and was just waitlisted. And the waitlist numbers look terrible, so there's very little shot I end up getting in.


Hey man, don't let it stress you too much, you're still in the running and it looks like you have a potential game plan moving forward. The way I see it (and life generally), I don't stress on things that are out of my control. I did what I could, submitted my app, and now it's out of my hands.

StopLawying

Silver
Posts: 686
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:23 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby StopLawying » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:09 pm

Instrumental wrote:
lsa16 wrote:Not an expert but I think you can maybe deposit without withdrawing from waitlists elsewhere


EWofNell wrote:Very sorry to hear of the waitlists. You can, btw, deposit elsewhere while sitting on whichever waitlists you choose to sit on. If you are admitted off a waitlist, you typically can choose to forfeit the deposit to the first school and withdraw your acceptance of their offer and then deposit at the school that just admitted you.

Anyone out there who went UR2 on the 24th hear anything?


Ah okay, that makes me a little less concerned. I had the same question about it as Stop Lawying. Still will suck if I have to drop more than one seat deposit. :\

StopLawying wrote:Really dejected right now, wanted Penn so badly and was just waitlisted. And the waitlist numbers look terrible, so there's very little shot I end up getting in.


Hey man, don't let it stress you too much, you're still in the running and it looks like you have a potential game plan moving forward. The way I see it (and life generally), I don't stress on things that are out of my control. I did what I could, submitted my app, and now it's out of my hands.


Thanks Instrumental, appreciate it. Hoping for the best but at the same time just being realistic. Surprised though that you got waitlisted. Did you write a "why X?"

The one thing I've learned is that it's so important to apply early. I've seen lots of December takers/late applicants getting waitlisted with great numbers. Look at the Georgetown thread.

User avatar
Instrumental

Silver
Posts: 1393
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:08 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby Instrumental » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:38 pm

StopLawying wrote:Thanks Instrumental, appreciate it. Hoping for the best but at the same time just being realistic. Surprised though that you got waitlisted. Did you write a "why X?"

I didn't, so that will be my next course of action with a LoCI. I do wonder how much that influenced their choice to put me on the waitlist. They emphasize in their e-mail that they want to maintain a small, intimate community, so I can see how it would.

jonny27

Bronze
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:49 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby jonny27 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:02 am

RParadela wrote:Pretty much given up hope. I applied in early January and didn't even go UR until 2/7 and I'm still UR1


exact same

StopLawying

Silver
Posts: 686
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:23 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby StopLawying » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:03 am

lawbatman wrote:
StopLawying wrote:Any chance I hear back in next wave if I went UR2 1/30?


I went UR2 two weeks before then - so I am hoping we BOTH hear back in the next wave.

Just checking last year, there was a very large wave at the end of February.

... and then the entire month of March was rejections / waitlisted / accepted from WL.


Hi, can you explain the "accepted from WL" part? Are you referring to ED candidates that were held? Email said they'd start evaluating WL applicants in mid-May.

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk

Gold
Posts: 3248
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:52 am

my status checker says under committee review but the date changed yesterday. does this mean ur2 or wot

User avatar
Dreadhead168

New
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:22 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby Dreadhead168 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:56 am

lawbatman wrote:
kaptainkeepa wrote:UR2 today and I don't even care anymore.


I'm UR2 since mid-January. Anyone else with this?


+1

goldenbear2020

Silver
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby goldenbear2020 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:04 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:my status checker says under committee review but the date changed yesterday. does this mean ur2 or wot

Yes, every time your date advances, that's a new UR.

JC2017

New
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:58 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby JC2017 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:09 pm

In the Wait List email from Penn is says "Please consider our invitation to stay on the wait list. You should notify us of your interest by replying directly to this message." Is a simple "I am still interested..." email appropriate, with a lengthier LOCI to be sent later? Or is this the time to send a formal LOCI?

StopLawying

Silver
Posts: 686
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:23 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby StopLawying » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:11 pm

JC2017 wrote:In the Wait List email from Penn is says "Please consider our invitation to stay on the wait list. You should notify us of your interest by replying directly to this message." Is a simple "I am still interested..." email appropriate, with a lengthier LOCI to be sent later? Or is this the time to send a formal LOCI?


Mine says to reply by March 20th, I'm gonna visit the school before then, and respond to that message with a formal LOCI attached.

goldenbear2020

Silver
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby goldenbear2020 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:12 pm

JC2017 wrote:In the Wait List email from Penn is says "Please consider our invitation to stay on the wait list. You should notify us of your interest by replying directly to this message." Is a simple "I am still interested..." email appropriate, with a lengthier LOCI to be sent later? Or is this the time to send a formal LOCI?

Reply with a simple "still interested" email, then send your LOCI to the other email address listed for "two page essay".

mathaddict

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:10 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby mathaddict » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:15 pm

Dreadhead168 wrote:
lawbatman wrote:
kaptainkeepa wrote:UR2 today and I don't even care anymore.


I'm UR2 since mid-January. Anyone else with this?


+1


UR3 since 1/27.

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk

Gold
Posts: 3248
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:39 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:my status checker says under committee review but the date changed yesterday. does this mean ur2 or wot

Yes, every time your date advances, that's a new UR.


ugh maybe i should check it more than once a week so i know when it changes

rone1

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:19 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby rone1 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:59 pm

Submitted 1/11, Complete 1/20, UR1 since 2/6. Are my chances of acceptance essentially non-existent being that March is about to begin and I haven't even touched UR2 yet?

User avatar
S.Picquery

Silver
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:39 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby S.Picquery » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:10 pm

Does anyone actually get off the WL at Penn? I know some schools tend to pull more than others, historically.

User avatar
RParadela

Silver
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:04 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby RParadela » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:21 pm

rone1 wrote:Submitted 1/11, Complete 1/20, UR1 since 2/6. Are my chances of acceptance essentially non-existent being that March is about to begin and I haven't even touched UR2 yet?


Same boat, and I think are chances are pretty much 0 if we don't get accepted by this week :cry:

User avatar
batlaw

New
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:59 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby batlaw » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:38 pm

RParadela wrote:
rone1 wrote:Submitted 1/11, Complete 1/20, UR1 since 2/6. Are my chances of acceptance essentially non-existent being that March is about to begin and I haven't even touched UR2 yet?


Same boat, and I think are chances are pretty much 0 if we don't get accepted by this week :cry:


+1 But how can we get accepted by this week if we haven't gone UR2 yet lol?

User avatar
batlaw

New
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:59 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby batlaw » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Does anyone happen to know if the 3/1 need-based financial aid deadline applies to applicants that are still waiting on a decision?



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests