Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MoonyUpToNoGood

New

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby MoonyUpToNoGood » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:19 am

Got the call this afternoon and Dean Post left a voicemail, status checker has been updated to admitted, but still no email. Should I be nervous? Cause I am. Maybe I'm just experiencing serious imposter syndrome by feeling that this accept is fluke? Anyone else not get an email?

nonononono

New

Postby nonononono » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:20 am

MoonyUpToNoGood wrote:Got the call this afternoon and Dean Post left a voicemail, status checker has been updated to admitted, but still no email. Should I be nervous? Cause I am. Maybe I'm just experiencing serious imposter syndrome by feeling that this accept is fluke? Anyone else not get an email?

I didn't get an email and when I spoke to them they said the email would be sent out late tonight or early tomorrow morning. So I wouldn't stress about it

MoonyUpToNoGood

New

Postby MoonyUpToNoGood » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:25 am

nonononono wrote:
MoonyUpToNoGood wrote:Got the call this afternoon and Dean Post left a voicemail, status checker has been updated to admitted, but still no email. Should I be nervous? Cause I am. Maybe I'm just experiencing serious imposter syndrome by feeling that this accept is fluke? Anyone else not get an email?

I didn't get an email and when I spoke to them they said the email would be sent out late tonight or early tomorrow morning. So I wouldn't stress about it

Cue Rush of relief. Thank you and congratulations!!

ottovon

New

Postby ottovon » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:14 am

Waitlisted via email. Didn't write a Why Penn, stats in my profile.

nonononono

New

Postby nonononono » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:36 am

MoonyUpToNoGood wrote:
nonononono wrote:

Cue Rush of relief. Thank you and congratulations!!

Thanks!! You too!

unpetitpacifiste

New

Postby unpetitpacifiste » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:26 pm

waitlisted yesterday, both above 75%, no why penn

sigree

Bronze

Postby sigree » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:44 pm

unpetitpacifiste wrote:waitlisted yesterday, both above 75%, no why penn

Plus 1

nimbus cloud

Silver

Postby nimbus cloud » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:09 pm

So if I want to add a Why Penn while my application is under review, should I send it in an attached word document? Or email body?

StopLawying

Silver

Postby StopLawying » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:22 pm

nimbus cloud wrote:So if I want to add a Why Penn while my application is under review, should I send it in an attached word document? Or email body?

You can do both, that's what I did for Georgetown. Be concise, like:

Dear Admissions Committee and Dean X,

I've written a short statement about my strong interest in Penn Law, attached and pasted below. Thank you for your time.

Best,
Nimbus Cloud

jonofalltrades

New

Postby jonofalltrades » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:38 pm

SmallK wrote:
airwrecka wrote:Kiddos who are planning to apply for the Toll Scholarship, what are you planning to do for your 2 minute video?

We only have 2 weeks before these apps are due, and I'm not at all good at making videos, so I want to just answer the questions as if it was a pre-recorded interview. But that's not creative, so I'm afraid it will reflect badly on me :( Anyone else feeling a little confused as to what to do?

+1, in the same boat -- Similarly bad/unfamiliar with video-making, and don't have anything but a phone/comp to record. There's one thread I'm thinking of using via pictures, but I'm on the fence about that one, even.

+1. They can't expect that we are professional videographers, right? I say just make the content good, not the filming of it. They probably didn't give much time to make a video on purpose so that we wouldn't freak out about the quality of the video.

nimbus cloud

Silver

Postby nimbus cloud » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:45 pm

StopLawying wrote:
nimbus cloud wrote:So if I want to add a Why Penn while my application is under review, should I send it in an attached word document? Or email body?

You can do both, that's what I did for Georgetown. Be concise, like:

Dear Admissions Committee and Dean X,

I've written a short statement about my strong interest in Penn Law, attached and pasted below. Thank you for your time.

Best,
Nimbus Cloud

Thanks!!

lsa16

Bronze

Postby lsa16 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:39 pm

jonofalltrades wrote:
SmallK wrote:
airwrecka wrote:Kiddos who are planning to apply for the Toll Scholarship, what are you planning to do for your 2 minute video?

We only have 2 weeks before these apps are due, and I'm not at all good at making videos, so I want to just answer the questions as if it was a pre-recorded interview. But that's not creative, so I'm afraid it will reflect badly on me :( Anyone else feeling a little confused as to what to do?

+1, in the same boat -- Similarly bad/unfamiliar with video-making, and don't have anything but a phone/comp to record. There's one thread I'm thinking of using via pictures, but I'm on the fence about that one, even.

+1. They can't expect that we are professional videographers, right? I say just make the content good, not the filming of it. They probably didn't give much time to make a video on purpose so that we wouldn't freak out about the quality of the video.

+1 on this there is no way I have the time or skills to make anything more complicated than just giving honest answers to the questions in video form

lsa16

Bronze

Postby lsa16 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:41 pm

VA2lawschool wrote:
AndromedaGalaxy wrote:
nonononono wrote:Does anyone know how merit scholarships work? Do they tell you if you receive aid when they accept you, like Columbia, or does it come later?

I'm wondering this too. Their website suggests "Nominations are made on a rolling basis, starting in January." However, I haven't heard of anyone getting nominated yet this year. Also for the Levy they say, "The Office of Admissions will select nominees for consideration from among our candidates for admission." If they're selecting from candidates not admits that implies to me that you'd hear at the time of admission (like Columbia), but I'm hoping that's not the case.

I doubt it's the case, they have accepted many candidates already with Levy qualifying numbers and no one has reported a scholarship offer.

1. Sorry if this has already been answered a million times, but what are Levy qualifying numbers?
2. I know they say to send in official scholarship offers from other schools they share a significant number of admits with - where do I draw the line on which schools 'count' and which don't in terms of potentially helping with scholarship money at Penn?

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Bronze

Postby Rich Uncle Skeleton » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:33 am

lsa16 wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:
AndromedaGalaxy wrote:
nonononono wrote:Does anyone know how merit scholarships work? Do they tell you if you receive aid when they accept you, like Columbia, or does it come later?

I'm wondering this too. Their website suggests "Nominations are made on a rolling basis, starting in January." However, I haven't heard of anyone getting nominated yet this year. Also for the Levy they say, "The Office of Admissions will select nominees for consideration from among our candidates for admission." If they're selecting from candidates not admits that implies to me that you'd hear at the time of admission (like Columbia), but I'm hoping that's not the case.

I doubt it's the case, they have accepted many candidates already with Levy qualifying numbers and no one has reported a scholarship offer.

1. Sorry if this has already been answered a million times, but what are Levy qualifying numbers?
2. I know they say to send in official scholarship offers from other schools they share a significant number of admits with - where do I draw the line on which schools 'count' and which don't in terms of potentially helping with scholarship money at Penn?

+1, also where did they ask us to do that?

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:03 pm

Thoughts on staying with a current student for ASW if you're going by yourself? Weird/not weird? Kind of would like to have my own space, kind of don't want to pay for it.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:07 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:Thoughts on staying with a current student for ASW if you're going by yourself? Weird/not weird? Kind of would like to have my own space, kind of don't want to pay for it.

Definitely not staying with someone. I will spend the money on a hotel rather than being stuck with someone I possibly don't like on the couch.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:08 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:Thoughts on staying with a current student for ASW if you're going by yourself? Weird/not weird? Kind of would like to have my own space, kind of don't want to pay for it.

Definitely not staying with someone. I will spend the money on a hotel rather than being stuck with someone I possibly don't like on the couch.

Oh good point didn't even think about literal sleeping situation.

noroomfordoubt

New

Postby noroomfordoubt » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:56 pm

Anybody know when the Toll interviews will be, if they're having them at all - is it during ASW and can you do it via Skype or phone if necessary? Lowkey stressed tryna juggle these visits

lsa16

Bronze

Postby lsa16 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:59 pm

jjcorvino wrote:

Idk I'm going by myself and decided to do it...1 because there are a lot of these weekends and I'm trying to keep a positive bank account balance and 2 because I don't want to be stressed getting myself back to a hotel alone at night when I've never been to Philly before

capnobvious123

New

Postby capnobvious123 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:58 pm

Checking in. Sad face because Penn is my #1, but no shot of admittance at this point. Both stats between 25/50. Applied way too late.

StopLawying

Silver

Postby StopLawying » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:05 pm

capnobvious123 wrote:Checking in. Sad face because Penn is my #1, but no shot of admittance at this point. Both stats between 25/50. Applied way too late.

Sry to ask the obvious, but if it was your #1, why did you apply so late? Might be better to apply next cycle.

capnobvious123

New

Postby capnobvious123 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:22 pm

StopLawying wrote:
capnobvious123 wrote:Checking in. Sad face because Penn is my #1, but no shot of admittance at this point. Both stats between 25/50. Applied way too late.

Sry to ask the obvious, but if it was your #1, why did you apply so late? Might be better to apply next cycle.

Because I'm an idiot, in short, haha. spent way too long trying to get my PS just right. Oh well. I'll probably end up settling for lower T14, or applying again... this is already my second cycle. Sigh.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:38 pm

capnobvious123 wrote:
StopLawying wrote:

Because I'm an idiot, in short, haha. spent way too long trying to get my PS just right. Oh well. I'll probably end up settling for lower T14, or applying again... this is already my second cycle. Sigh.

would you even attend at sticker? no point in sitting out if you'd prefer lower T14 with $ anyway!

capnobvious123

New

Postby capnobvious123 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:35 pm

proteinshake wrote:
capnobvious123 wrote:
StopLawying wrote:

would you even attend at sticker? no point in sitting out if you'd prefer lower T14 with $ anyway!

I might? I'm not really sure. If I get WL I'll be lucky, and I'll probably send in whatever I can to get in and see what happens. Last cycle I got WL to like, the entire T14 minus Duke and Penn which rejected me. I got priority reserve to Duke this cycle without any like why Duke or optional essays and super late application, so that's good I guess.

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Postby call-me-bubbles » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:09 am

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?