UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What does everyone want to do and where do they wanna do it?

Biglaw!! $$$
117
28%
Public Interest #Berkeley
83
20%
Government
42
10%
Other location (Not NE, midwest, south or Cali)
7
2%
California
70
17%
NYC
39
9%
DC
20
5%
Other North East
9
2%
Midwest
13
3%
South
12
3%
 
Total votes: 412

spursforever
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 3:34 am

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby spursforever » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:21 pm

4'sup wrote:Was only offered $60,000 and my deadline to accept this is tomorrow. I'm trying to negotiate with a $150,000 scholly from Michigan. I've sent emails to the "matching@berkeleylaw.edu" email and the more specific "ktalverez@berkeleylaw.edu" but I've heard nothing at all. Did those of you who got increased scholarships after renegotiations use these emails too? Should I just send one to the generic financial aid email?


I didn't get my offer until the day of my other deposit date, hours after I sent a follow up email to ktalvarez. So I'd just be prepared to wait until the very last minute!

4'sup
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:42 am

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby 4'sup » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:32 pm

kaptainkeepa wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
4'sup wrote:Was only offered $60,000 and my deadline to accept this is tomorrow. I'm trying to negotiate with a $150,000 scholly from Michigan. I've sent emails to the "matching@berkeleylaw.edu" email and the more specific "ktalverez@berkeleylaw.edu" but I've heard nothing at all. Did those of you who got increased scholarships after renegotiations use these emails too? Should I just send one to the generic financial aid email?

There's a typo in the ktalvarez email address, I would double check and make sure you sent it to the right address. Her email is ktalvarez@law.berkeley.edu

Edit: you also have the matching email wrong, it's matching@law.berkeley.edu


Dude that sucks really bad XD. But if you want to be an attorney, you have to be very detail-oriented so..



I didn't send emails to those addresses. I couldn't remember what they were from memory so I just got as close to what I could remember. Spare me the snark.

4'sup
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:42 am

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby 4'sup » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:39 pm

spursforever wrote:
4'sup wrote:Was only offered $60,000 and my deadline to accept this is tomorrow. I'm trying to negotiate with a $150,000 scholly from Michigan. I've sent emails to the "matching@berkeleylaw.edu" email and the more specific "ktalverez@berkeleylaw.edu" but I've heard nothing at all. Did those of you who got increased scholarships after renegotiations use these emails too? Should I just send one to the generic financial aid email?


I didn't get my offer until the day of my other deposit date, hours after I sent a follow up email to ktalvarez. So I'd just be prepared to wait until the very last minute!



Thanks for the response! I guess we'll see...crossing my fingers!

User avatar
rizzlebizness
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:32 am

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby rizzlebizness » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:41 pm

Received a response from Berkeley yesterday re: my financial aid reconsideration request. While the amount offered was less than the offer for the other school I am considering, it is right in line with it from a 3-year COA perspective. Also, the response was taking some time until I sent a follow up email to Kristin Alvarez. I heard back a couple of days after sending the follow-up email.

kaptainkeepa
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:03 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby kaptainkeepa » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:29 pm

4'sup wrote:
kaptainkeepa wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
4'sup wrote:Was only offered $60,000 and my deadline to accept this is tomorrow. I'm trying to negotiate with a $150,000 scholly from Michigan. I've sent emails to the "matching@berkeleylaw.edu" email and the more specific "ktalverez@berkeleylaw.edu" but I've heard nothing at all. Did those of you who got increased scholarships after renegotiations use these emails too? Should I just send one to the generic financial aid email?

There's a typo in the ktalvarez email address, I would double check and make sure you sent it to the right address. Her email is ktalvarez@law.berkeley.edu

Edit: you also have the matching email wrong, it's matching@law.berkeley.edu


Dude that sucks really bad XD. But if you want to be an attorney, you have to be very detail-oriented so..



I didn't send emails to those addresses. I couldn't remember what they were from memory so I just got as close to what I could remember. Spare me the snark.


Chill.

kaptainkeepa
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:03 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby kaptainkeepa » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:34 pm

chargers21 wrote:
kaptainkeepa wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
4'sup wrote:Was only offered $60,000 and my deadline to accept this is tomorrow. I'm trying to negotiate with a $150,000 scholly from Michigan. I've sent emails to the "matching@berkeleylaw.edu" email and the more specific "ktalverez@berkeleylaw.edu" but I've heard nothing at all. Did those of you who got increased scholarships after renegotiations use these emails too? Should I just send one to the generic financial aid email?

There's a typo in the ktalvarez email address, I would double check and make sure you sent it to the right address. Her email is ktalvarez@law.berkeley.edu

Edit: you also have the matching email wrong, it's matching@law.berkeley.edu


Dude that sucks really bad XD. But if you want to be an attorney, you have to be very detail-oriented so..

I spelled both right, and besides auto emails, I've been ghosted by the financial aid people for 2 weeks. Plus some alumni wanting to talk have been emailing me but I'm over it. I'm depositing elsewhere today


This isn't the first I have heard of poor admission and financial aid offices...kinda frustrating when you invest so heavily into an institution and they pull this

4'sup
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:42 am

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby 4'sup » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:41 am

kaptainkeepa wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
kaptainkeepa wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
4'sup wrote:Was only offered $60,000 and my deadline to accept this is tomorrow. I'm trying to negotiate with a $150,000 scholly from Michigan. I've sent emails to the "matching@berkeleylaw.edu" email and the more specific "ktalverez@berkeleylaw.edu" but I've heard nothing at all. Did those of you who got increased scholarships after renegotiations use these emails too? Should I just send one to the generic financial aid email?

There's a typo in the ktalvarez email address, I would double check and make sure you sent it to the right address. Her email is ktalvarez@law.berkeley.edu

Edit: you also have the matching email wrong, it's matching@law.berkeley.edu


Dude that sucks really bad XD. But if you want to be an attorney, you have to be very detail-oriented so..

I spelled both right, and besides auto emails, I've been ghosted by the financial aid people for 2 weeks. Plus some alumni wanting to talk have been emailing me but I'm over it. I'm depositing elsewhere today


This isn't the first I have heard of poor admission and financial aid offices...kinda frustrating when you invest so heavily into an institution and they pull this


Totally. Very frustrating and makes the process so opaque.

hellohello123
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:59 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby hellohello123 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:10 pm

Still haven't heard back regarding my scholarship reconsideration request... I only sent it to the matching email; should I also send one to the ktalvarez email as well? When I called the Financial Aid office a few days ago, I was told to email the office only, but it's been more than 3 weeks and I'm getting antsy :oops:

STribe14
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:02 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby STribe14 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:15 pm

hellohello123 wrote:Still haven't heard back regarding my scholarship reconsideration request... I only sent it to the matching email; should I also send one to the ktalvarez email as well? When I called the Financial Aid office a few days ago, I was told to email the office only, but it's been more than 3 weeks and I'm getting antsy :oops:


I would email ktalvarez. I waited for a couple weeks to hear back from the financial aid office, but then sent a follow up directly to ktalvarez and got my new offer within a day.

User avatar
chargers21
Posts: 3453
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chargers21 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:47 pm

withdrew from my acceptance

galantwhiteandblue
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:45 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby galantwhiteandblue » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:03 pm

Hey Guys,

I haven't received an email from them but today I logged in calcentral and found out that I was awarded "20k" under "grand total"
10k for fall 2017
10k for spring 2018
Nothing said about the other semesters.
Does this mean that the 20k is all I've got?

User avatar
dietcoke1
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby dietcoke1 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:11 pm

galantwhiteandblue wrote:Hey Guys,

I haven't received an email from them but today I logged in calcentral and found out that I was awarded "20k" under "grand total"
10k for fall 2017
10k for spring 2018
Nothing said about the other semesters.
Does this mean that the 20k is all I've got?


its probably per year. the last two years don't show up on Cal Central

galantwhiteandblue
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:45 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby galantwhiteandblue » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:23 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
galantwhiteandblue wrote:Hey Guys,

I haven't received an email from them but today I logged in calcentral and found out that I was awarded "20k" under "grand total"
10k for fall 2017
10k for spring 2018
Nothing said about the other semesters.
Does this mean that the 20k is all I've got?


its probably per year. the last two years don't show up on Cal Central


Like :wink:

daydreamerxoxo
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby daydreamerxoxo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:43 pm

Any held applicants hearing any whispers of a decision timeline?

janereacher
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:12 am

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby janereacher » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:49 pm

daydreamerxoxo wrote:Any held applicants hearing any whispers of a decision timeline?


Nope - haven't heard anything from Berkeley yet.

lilikoillama
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:13 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lilikoillama » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:05 pm

janereacher wrote:
daydreamerxoxo wrote:Any held applicants hearing any whispers of a decision timeline?


Nope - haven't heard anything from Berkeley yet.


me neither. still waiting. :(

lunamoon
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:56 am

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lunamoon » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:47 pm

Hi Everyone,

First time posting. As many of you here, I am in financial aid limbo. I never received an offer, and whenever I reached out they simply told me I was still "under review". I finally decided to send a reconsideration offer, since I had a scholarship deadline. I already send an email to Kristin - she replied that they would try to give me a response ASAP - but haven't heard anything since. I have sent follow up emails but have not received a reply. After reading through the posts it seems people have been getting mixed responses - some have received an offer hours after submitting a request, while others have been waiting weeks.

I was wondering if people who have been successful with their reconsideration requests, could pm me any advice. It's been about two weeks since I sent the request. Is there any number I can call or should I just keep emailing? I really want to go to Berkeley, and just knowing I have some money would allow me to commit.

Thanks!

User avatar
blackbetty92
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:24 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby blackbetty92 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:19 pm

lunamoon wrote:Hi Everyone,

First time posting. As many of you here, I am in financial aid limbo. I never received an offer, and whenever I reached out they simply told me I was still "under review". I finally decided to send a reconsideration offer, since I had a scholarship deadline. I already send an email to Kristin - she replied that they would try to give me a response ASAP - but haven't heard anything since. I have sent follow up emails but have not received a reply. After reading through the posts it seems people have been getting mixed responses - some have received an offer hours after submitting a request, while others have been waiting weeks.

I was wondering if people who have been successful with their reconsideration requests, could pm me any advice. It's been about two weeks since I sent the request. Is there any number I can call or should I just keep emailing? I really want to go to Berkeley, and just knowing I have some money would allow me to commit.

Thanks!


Hey! So I submitted my scholarship reconsideration request and heavily emphasized the deadline. I asked the other school (we'll just call it School X) for an extension (highly recommend you do this too, worst they can say is no), explaining that I was seriously considering their offer but also that the other school (Berkeley) hadn't gotten back to me with financial aid info and that I didn't feel comfortable making a decision without all the information. X gave me another week and in that time Berkeley got back to me with a comparable offer.

I think making sure that everyone and their mother knows that you're under a specific deadline is important (I told financial aid, the matching people, Alvarez, everyone), and just try to get the other school to hold off as long as possible. Good luck!

lunamoon
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:56 am

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lunamoon » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:39 pm

blackbetty92 wrote:
lunamoon wrote:Hi Everyone,

First time posting. As many of you here, I am in financial aid limbo. I never received an offer, and whenever I reached out they simply told me I was still "under review". I finally decided to send a reconsideration offer, since I had a scholarship deadline. I already send an email to Kristin - she replied that they would try to give me a response ASAP - but haven't heard anything since. I have sent follow up emails but have not received a reply. After reading through the posts it seems people have been getting mixed responses - some have received an offer hours after submitting a request, while others have been waiting weeks.

I was wondering if people who have been successful with their reconsideration requests, could pm me any advice. It's been about two weeks since I sent the request. Is there any number I can call or should I just keep emailing? I really want to go to Berkeley, and just knowing I have some money would allow me to commit.

Thanks!


Hey! So I submitted my scholarship reconsideration request and heavily emphasized the deadline. I asked the other school (we'll just call it School X) for an extension (highly recommend you do this too, worst they can say is no), explaining that I was seriously considering their offer but also that the other school (Berkeley) hadn't gotten back to me with financial aid info and that I didn't feel comfortable making a decision without all the information. X gave me another week and in that time Berkeley got back to me with a comparable offer.

I think making sure that everyone and their mother knows that you're under a specific deadline is important (I told financial aid, the matching people, Alvarez, everyone), and just try to get the other school to hold off as long as possible. Good luck!



I will email them all, I am worried about emailing too much. I don't want to annoy them to the point where it hurts my chances, but it seems that following up is the only way you get a response.

Again, thank you so much.

rwajo12
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:22 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby rwajo12 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:50 am

lilikoillama wrote:
janereacher wrote:
daydreamerxoxo wrote:Any held applicants hearing any whispers of a decision timeline?


Nope - haven't heard anything from Berkeley yet.


me neither. still waiting. :(


I've heard, they will be making decisions starting this week.

lilikoillama
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:13 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lilikoillama » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:02 pm

rwajo12 wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
janereacher wrote:
daydreamerxoxo wrote:Any held applicants hearing any whispers of a decision timeline?


Nope - haven't heard anything from Berkeley yet.


me neither. still waiting. :(


I've heard, they will be making decisions starting this week.


:shock: :shock: Source? Did you call or have you heard back yourself?

4'sup
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:42 am

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby 4'sup » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:12 pm

Reconsideration accepted today. They basically matched my Michigan offer ($150,000). Beyond excited. Had pretty much ruled Berk out.

rwajo12
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:22 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby rwajo12 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:15 pm

lilikoillama wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
janereacher wrote:
daydreamerxoxo wrote:Any held applicants hearing any whispers of a decision timeline?


Nope - haven't heard anything from Berkeley yet.


me neither. still waiting. :(


I've heard, they will be making decisions starting this week.


:shock: :shock: Source? Did you call or have you heard back yourself?


I haven't heard anything personally. But I called. Fingers crossed!! :D

lilikoillama
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:13 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lilikoillama » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:50 pm

rwajo12 wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
janereacher wrote:
daydreamerxoxo wrote:Any held applicants hearing any whispers of a decision timeline?


Nope - haven't heard anything from Berkeley yet.


me neither. still waiting. :(


I've heard, they will be making decisions starting this week.


:shock: :shock: Source? Did you call or have you heard back yourself?


I haven't heard anything personally. But I called. Fingers crossed!! :D


oh man this makes me nervous! haha thanks for the update though!

rwajo12
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:22 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby rwajo12 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:47 pm

lilikoillama wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
janereacher wrote:
daydreamerxoxo wrote:Any held applicants hearing any whispers of a decision timeline?


Nope - haven't heard anything from Berkeley yet.


me neither. still waiting. :(


I've heard, they will be making decisions starting this week.


:shock: :shock: Source? Did you call or have you heard back yourself?


I haven't heard anything personally. But I called. Fingers crossed!! :D


oh man this makes me nervous! haha thanks for the update though!


No problem! I keep refreshing my email every second! It's driving me crazy as well




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CuriousGeorge1719, dm1683, thepsychedelic, twtwtwtw, xinaialice and 12 guests