UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What does everyone want to do and where do they wanna do it?

Biglaw!! $$$
118
28%
Public Interest #Berkeley
84
20%
Government
42
10%
Other location (Not NE, midwest, south or Cali)
7
2%
California
71
17%
NYC
39
9%
DC
20
5%
Other North East
9
2%
Midwest
13
3%
South
12
3%
 
Total votes: 415

lilikoillama

New
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:13 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lilikoillama » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:24 pm

rwajo12 wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
chandhi wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
chandhi wrote:
IT IS TIME. We can hear back any day now. Anyone want to engage in speculation re: timing of our decisions? I feel like there will be a decent-sized wave of acceptances in the next week or two, then hopefully acceptances trickling in after, then all remaining held apps waitlisted at the end of May.


Mmmmmm based on Berkeley's previous issues with meeting their original deadlines, I'm gonna say we're not gonna hear anything until like mid-May. I HOPE I'm wrong, but they've been late on like every deadline they've set for themselves this app season. :cry:

I would agree but it also seems like they've been prompt and generous with scholarship renegs... so maybe low yield so far? They could be desperate to get people in the door, and they have to know deposit deadlines are approaching quickly. If you're right about deadlines, though, we're going to hear mid-June haha. I stalked past cycles on LSN and got super bitter when I saw the final decision dates of previous years.

Thanks for anxiously speculating with me lol.


Ah I didn't even think about the scholly renegs, possible desperation! that is very true haha okay maybe there is a chance that we can hear back soon-ish, especially if people keep withdrawing.
omg do I even want to ask what previous years final decision dates were :shock: what were they?

and of course! We gotta stick through this together or we'll go mad hahah


I also have a feeling we're gonna truly hear back around June 1st. But then again, apps are apparently low across the board everywhere, so fingers crossed!!!


Did you guys send LOCIs? / Did any other held people send LOCIs? Even though they said in that initial email they didn't need anything else from us, I'm tempted just as a "don't forget about me, I still want you!".

User avatar
chandhi

Gold
Posts: 1899
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chandhi » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:30 pm

lilikoillama wrote:Did you guys send LOCIs? / Did any other held people send LOCIs? Even though they said in that initial email they didn't need anything else from us, I'm tempted just as a "don't forget about me, I still want you!".

I sent a video of me singing about social justice issues and how much I want to live in The Bae Area

msperception

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:05 am

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby msperception » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:10 pm

I did reconsideration and they came back with $0. I'm at or above both medians. Any advice? (because of a giant family screwup, I didn't initially apply for aid, just through reconsideration.) I've sent a grovelling email to the head of financial aid asking to be considered again, but any other tips?

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chargers21 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:10 pm

Received a call from Berkeley, CA today while I was busy, but I got no message. Only call I've ever received from there. Anyone have any clue what it could have been?

User avatar
redrebel

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:07 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby redrebel » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:39 am

msperception wrote:I did reconsideration and they came back with $0. I'm at or above both medians. Any advice? (because of a giant family screwup, I didn't initially apply for aid, just through reconsideration.) I've sent a grovelling email to the head of financial aid asking to be considered again, but any other tips?


The same happened to me, even with an offer from Michigan. Feeling a bit low about it as Berkeley is my top choice. Any advice is appreciated!

User avatar
redrebel

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:07 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby redrebel » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:57 am

Anybody else see this and have concerns about Berkeley now? https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... udhry-deal

User avatar
chandhi

Gold
Posts: 1899
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chandhi » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:06 am

redrebel wrote:Anybody else see this and have concerns about Berkeley now? https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... udhry-deal

Thanks for posting. This is legitimately concerning to me. Ugh Berkeley I loved you but...

User avatar
Litt1tUp

Bronze
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:07 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Litt1tUp » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:09 am

redrebel wrote:Anybody else see this and have concerns about Berkeley now? https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... udhry-deal


Not really - It's unfortunate that he didn't get any worse punishment, but I'm sure glad he is leaving and if the rumors is true about Berkeley getting Chemerinsky, I'd say the future is looking good.

bigyellowjoint

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:02 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby bigyellowjoint » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:40 am

redrebel wrote:Anybody else see this and have concerns about Berkeley now? https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... udhry-deal


Not really. This is the same thing that's been going on for years now. A lot of people think it's the reason behind the drop in rankings. Seems like it might finally be coming to a close.

msperception

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:05 am

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby msperception » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:41 am

bigyellowjoint wrote:
redrebel wrote:Anybody else see this and have concerns about Berkeley now? https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... udhry-deal


Not really. This is the same thing that's been going on for years now. A lot of people think it's the reason behind the drop in rankings. Seems like it might finally be coming to a close.


I mean I care less about the rankings than the administration choosing to protect harassers.

User avatar
chandhi

Gold
Posts: 1899
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chandhi » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:48 am

msperception wrote:
bigyellowjoint wrote:
redrebel wrote:Anybody else see this and have concerns about Berkeley now? https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... udhry-deal


Not really. This is the same thing that's been going on for years now. A lot of people think it's the reason behind the drop in rankings. Seems like it might finally be coming to a close.


I mean I care less about the rankings than the administration choosing to protect harassers.

+1,000,000

User avatar
Litt1tUp

Bronze
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:07 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Litt1tUp » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:51 am

chandhi wrote:
msperception wrote:
bigyellowjoint wrote:
redrebel wrote:Anybody else see this and have concerns about Berkeley now? https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... udhry-deal


Not really. This is the same thing that's been going on for years now. A lot of people think it's the reason behind the drop in rankings. Seems like it might finally be coming to a close.


I mean I care less about the rankings than the administration choosing to protect harassers.

+1,000,000


Well it's not the law school "protecting" him, it's the UC Regents.

User avatar
redrebel

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:07 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby redrebel » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:08 am

Litt1tUp wrote:
chandhi wrote:
msperception wrote:
bigyellowjoint wrote:
redrebel wrote:Anybody else see this and have concerns about Berkeley now? https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... udhry-deal


Not really. This is the same thing that's been going on for years now. A lot of people think it's the reason behind the drop in rankings. Seems like it might finally be coming to a close.


I mean I care less about the rankings than the administration choosing to protect harassers.

+1,000,000


Well it's not the law school "protecting" him, it's the UC Regents.


Does the distinction really matter considering how the UC system works?

User avatar
Litt1tUp

Bronze
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:07 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Litt1tUp » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:17 am

redrebel wrote:
Litt1tUp wrote:
chandhi wrote:
msperception wrote:
bigyellowjoint wrote:
redrebel wrote:Anybody else see this and have concerns about Berkeley now? https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... udhry-deal


Not really. This is the same thing that's been going on for years now. A lot of people think it's the reason behind the drop in rankings. Seems like it might finally be coming to a close.


I mean I care less about the rankings than the administration choosing to protect harassers.

+1,000,000


Well it's not the law school "protecting" him, it's the UC Regents.


Does the distinction really matter considering how the UC system works?


The distinction matters if you're going to say the law school administration is protecting him where in this action it's the UC Regents, which is a different entity.

The guy is an asshole - probably will see him at least once in the building next year, and most likely will try my best not to confront him.

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chargers21 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:26 am

I keep getting emailed by Berkeley and Berkeley alums. Like come on, I asked for reconsideration from my $0 offer 2 weeks ago and I'm above medians and haven't heard back. Why would I even consider going anymore?

User avatar
chandhi

Gold
Posts: 1899
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chandhi » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:43 am

Officially withdrew. My cycle is over.

rwajo12

New
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:22 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby rwajo12 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:03 pm

lilikoillama wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
chandhi wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
chandhi wrote:
IT IS TIME. We can hear back any day now. Anyone want to engage in speculation re: timing of our decisions? I feel like there will be a decent-sized wave of acceptances in the next week or two, then hopefully acceptances trickling in after, then all remaining held apps waitlisted at the end of May.


Mmmmmm based on Berkeley's previous issues with meeting their original deadlines, I'm gonna say we're not gonna hear anything until like mid-May. I HOPE I'm wrong, but they've been late on like every deadline they've set for themselves this app season. :cry:

I would agree but it also seems like they've been prompt and generous with scholarship renegs... so maybe low yield so far? They could be desperate to get people in the door, and they have to know deposit deadlines are approaching quickly. If you're right about deadlines, though, we're going to hear mid-June haha. I stalked past cycles on LSN and got super bitter when I saw the final decision dates of previous years.

Thanks for anxiously speculating with me lol.


Ah I didn't even think about the scholly renegs, possible desperation! that is very true haha okay maybe there is a chance that we can hear back soon-ish, especially if people keep withdrawing.
omg do I even want to ask what previous years final decision dates were :shock: what were they?

and of course! We gotta stick through this together or we'll go mad hahah


I also have a feeling we're gonna truly hear back around June 1st. But then again, apps are apparently low across the board everywhere, so fingers crossed!!!


Did you guys send LOCIs? / Did any other held people send LOCIs? Even though they said in that initial email they didn't need anything else from us, I'm tempted just as a "don't forget about me, I still want you!".


I didn't send a LoCI, since hold means they haven't even made a decision yet technically, but I send an email reaffirming my interest in the school.

lilikoillama

New
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:13 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lilikoillama » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:10 pm

chandhi wrote:Officially withdrew. My cycle is over.


:cry: :cry: :cry: Bye chandhi, it was nice suffering through this hold wait with you! Good luck wherever you're headed in the fall!

User avatar
chandhi

Gold
Posts: 1899
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chandhi » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:12 pm

lilikoillama wrote:
chandhi wrote:Officially withdrew. My cycle is over.


:cry: :cry: :cry: Bye chandhi, it was nice suffering through this hold wait with you! Good luck wherever you're headed in the fall!

Headed to Ann Arbor! Best of luck to you as well.

User avatar
charles117

Bronze
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby charles117 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:46 am

chandhi wrote:Officially withdrew. My cycle is over.

D:

User avatar
chandhi

Gold
Posts: 1899
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chandhi » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:55 am

charles117 wrote:
chandhi wrote:Officially withdrew. My cycle is over.

D:

(:

4'sup

New
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:42 am

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby 4'sup » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:50 pm

Was only offered $60,000 and my deadline to accept this is tomorrow. I'm trying to negotiate with a $150,000 scholly from Michigan. I've sent emails to the "matching@berkeleylaw.edu" email and the more specific "ktalverez@berkeleylaw.edu" but I've heard nothing at all. Did those of you who got increased scholarships after renegotiations use these emails too? Should I just send one to the generic financial aid email?

User avatar
NotAGolfer

Silver
Posts: 596
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:50 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby NotAGolfer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:59 pm

4'sup wrote:Was only offered $60,000 and my deadline to accept this is tomorrow. I'm trying to negotiate with a $150,000 scholly from Michigan. I've sent emails to the "matching@berkeleylaw.edu" email and the more specific "ktalverez@berkeleylaw.edu" but I've heard nothing at all. Did those of you who got increased scholarships after renegotiations use these emails too? Should I just send one to the generic financial aid email?

There's a typo in the ktalvarez email address, I would double check and make sure you sent it to the right address. Her email is ktalvarez@law.berkeley.edu

Edit: you also have the matching email wrong, it's matching@law.berkeley.edu

kaptainkeepa

Bronze
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:03 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby kaptainkeepa » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:51 pm

NotAGolfer wrote:
4'sup wrote:Was only offered $60,000 and my deadline to accept this is tomorrow. I'm trying to negotiate with a $150,000 scholly from Michigan. I've sent emails to the "matching@berkeleylaw.edu" email and the more specific "ktalverez@berkeleylaw.edu" but I've heard nothing at all. Did those of you who got increased scholarships after renegotiations use these emails too? Should I just send one to the generic financial aid email?

There's a typo in the ktalvarez email address, I would double check and make sure you sent it to the right address. Her email is ktalvarez@law.berkeley.edu

Edit: you also have the matching email wrong, it's matching@law.berkeley.edu


Dude that sucks really bad XD. But if you want to be an attorney, you have to be very detail-oriented so..

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chargers21 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:02 pm

kaptainkeepa wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
4'sup wrote:Was only offered $60,000 and my deadline to accept this is tomorrow. I'm trying to negotiate with a $150,000 scholly from Michigan. I've sent emails to the "matching@berkeleylaw.edu" email and the more specific "ktalverez@berkeleylaw.edu" but I've heard nothing at all. Did those of you who got increased scholarships after renegotiations use these emails too? Should I just send one to the generic financial aid email?

There's a typo in the ktalvarez email address, I would double check and make sure you sent it to the right address. Her email is ktalvarez@law.berkeley.edu

Edit: you also have the matching email wrong, it's matching@law.berkeley.edu


Dude that sucks really bad XD. But if you want to be an attorney, you have to be very detail-oriented so..

I spelled both right, and besides auto emails, I've been ghosted by the financial aid people for 2 weeks. Plus some alumni wanting to talk have been emailing me but I'm over it. I'm depositing elsewhere today



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests