UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What does everyone want to do and where do they wanna do it?

Biglaw!! $$$
28%
Public Interest #Berkeley
20%
Government
10%
Other location (Not NE, midwest, south or Cali)
2%
California
17%
NYC
9%
DC
5%
Other North East
2%
Midwest
3%
South
3%

Total votes: 415

annazork

New

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby annazork » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:39 pm

grandesoylatte wrote:Has anyone who applied for housing a few weeks back heard anything yet? I thought I applied fairly early but would like to know if I'm actually getting an "offer" or not before I visit in a few weeks (partially to find housing)

I applied fairly early as well and haven't heard anything

crookedsmile

Bronze

Postby crookedsmile » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:59 pm

etramak wrote:Did any of you guys apply for the Berkeley Law Opportunity Scholarship? The language for eligibility is something like "first in your family to earn a bachelor's degree," which is pretty clear, but I'm surprised that someone with an older sibling who graduated two years before them isn't eligible. Can anyone confirm this is the case?

This is not the case. At least one of the recipients has an older sibling who is a college grad. The eligibility depends on your parents being college grads.

Pikapika

New

Postby Pikapika » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:13 pm

pretty sure the FA process is still going
Last edited by Pikapika on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:44 pm

crookedsmile wrote:
etramak wrote:Did any of you guys apply for the Berkeley Law Opportunity Scholarship? The language for eligibility is something like "first in your family to earn a bachelor's degree," which is pretty clear, but I'm surprised that someone with an older sibling who graduated two years before them isn't eligible. Can anyone confirm this is the case?

This is not the case. At least one of the recipients has an older sibling who is a college grad. The eligibility depends on your parents being college grads.

Great! Thanks. Didn't think it made much sense :lol:

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:54 pm

current UCI Dean Erwin Chemerinsky is likely to become the new dean of Berkeley Law. he is a finalist and is visiting campus next week. for those who don't know who he is, look him up. this could prove to be really big for Berkeley and I think place them back to their 8 spot and maybe higher.
Last edited by dietcoke1 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:56 pm

damn it. just when I was coming to terms with not attending here :(

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:07 pm

Keilz wrote:damn it. just when I was coming to terms with not attending here :(

seriously :roll:

Pikapika

New

Postby Pikapika » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:11 pm

btw I am a student are Berkeley Law and am totally open to answering any misc. questions if you are considering Berk :) just PM me!
Last edited by Pikapika on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calpolisci2016

Bronze

Postby calpolisci2016 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:14 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:can confirm that Erwin Chemerinsky is likely to become the new dean of Berkeley Law. he is a finalist and is visiting campus next week. for those who don't know who he is, look him up. this could prove to be really big for Berkeley and I think place them back to their 8 spot and maybe higher.

This news is life saving. Any idea who the other finalists are, and when the school will confirm the new dean?

crookedsmile

Bronze

Postby crookedsmile » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:16 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:can confirm that Erwin Chemerinsky is likely to become the new dean of Berkeley Law. he is a finalist and is visiting campus next week. for those who don't know who he is, look him up. this could prove to be really big for Berkeley and I think place them back to their 8 spot and maybe higher.

Heard similar murmurings through the grapevine.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:18 pm

This is a really silly reason to choose Berkeley if you overwise wouldn't have.

crookedsmile

Bronze

Postby crookedsmile » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:18 pm

calpolisci2016 wrote:

This news is life saving. Any idea who the other finalists are, and when the school will confirm the new dean?

Laura E. Gómez of UCLA.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:55 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
Keilz wrote:damn it. just when I was coming to terms with not attending here :(

seriously :roll:

Was planning to go to UCI in small part to him being there :( bum me out some more why don't ya?

calpolisci2016

Bronze

Postby calpolisci2016 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:58 pm

Rigo wrote:This is a really silly reason to choose Berkeley if you overwise wouldn't have.

Eh, this news is more about pumping me up even more about Berkeley. I certainly wasn't using this news as a deciding factor.

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:44 am

crookedsmile wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:

Laura E. Gómez of UCLA.

their projected timeline to pick a new dean is early April. but we all know how Berkeley is with their self-imposed timelines

also Kimberly Yuracko of NU is a candidate
Last edited by dietcoke1 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawboundsomeday

New

Postby lawboundsomeday » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:18 pm

Keilz wrote:Ok this thread keeps going back and forth. Basically at ASW she said that it takes a long time to give out offers based on when they have applicants commit or withdraw, so they're basically going to be rolling out offers until June. However, they can't give responses on when you'll get aid so assume you won't get anything because they can't promise anything more (she said 7-10 days after ASW you can assume you won't be offered). She said you can submit your reconsideration requests now.

I don't really get this. I mean, aren't they making predictions about yield - like undergrad schools, or for god's sake, even like airlines? I guess I understand at the very edges they have to watch their budget, esp since there are so many budget issues across the whole univeristy at Berkeley right now, but it can't really be like, "Chris just said no, so let's go give that money to Christina." Or can it?

whydetached

New

Postby whydetached » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:40 pm

lawboundsomeday wrote:
Keilz wrote:Ok this thread keeps going back and forth. Basically at ASW she said that it takes a long time to give out offers based on when they have applicants commit or withdraw, so they're basically going to be rolling out offers until June. However, they can't give responses on when you'll get aid so assume you won't get anything because they can't promise anything more (she said 7-10 days after ASW you can assume you won't be offered). She said you can submit your reconsideration requests now.

I don't really get this. I mean, aren't they making predictions about yield - like undergrad schools, or for god's sake, even like airlines? I guess I understand at the very edges they have to watch their budget, esp since there are so many budget issues across the whole univeristy at Berkeley right now, but it can't really be like, "Chris just said no, so let's go give that money to Christina." Or can it?

Yes, it can, and it happens all the time. But now the question seems more like "are they done giving money to Chris or not".

gargleblaster

Bronze

Postby gargleblaster » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:54 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:

Laura E. Gómez of UCLA.

their projected timeline to pick a new dean is early April. but we all know how Berkeley is with their self-imposed timelines

Chemerinsky woudl help close the lid on the dumpster fire. Not sure about the other two.

AllHailKingMao

Bronze

Postby AllHailKingMao » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:21 pm

gargleblaster wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:

Laura E. Gómez of UCLA.

Chemerinsky woudl help close the lid on the dumpster fire. Not sure about the other two.

I read his Wiki page-- still unsure about how he would shake things up at Cal? Can someone explain?

gargleblaster

Bronze

Postby gargleblaster » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:25 pm

AllHailKingMao wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:

Laura E. Gómez of UCLA.

I read his Wiki page-- still unsure about how he would shake things up at Cal? Can someone explain?

3 things i know about him

- not a social justice crazieperson
- well respected legal duder
- took UCI from zero to ok school basically by himself (and lots of scholarship $$$ - the most important thing)

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:28 pm

gargleblaster wrote:
AllHailKingMao wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:

Laura E. Gómez of UCLA.

3 things i know about him

- not a social justice crazieperson
- well respected legal duder
- took UCI from zero to ok school basically by himself (and lots of scholarship $$$ - the most important thing)

He's like a legal genius - will prob use his books in law school. He got the first class at UCI full rides. For ALL of them. Hooked ppl up w clerkships straight out of a law school no one knew. Supporter of free speech but not "safe space speech", sort of like said above ^. List goes on.

crookedsmile

Bronze

Postby crookedsmile » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:29 pm

AllHailKingMao wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:

Laura E. Gómez of UCLA.

Through the grapevine I heard that one of the big concerns at Boalt is that with their reputation taking a hit, that clerkship numbers might drop off. As the renowned scholar he is, Chemerinsky could single handedly prevent that from happening. Irvine's clerkship numbers did not get that high by themselves.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:34 pm

Starting to think this is why UCB kind of hasn't been giving a fuck all cycle - they must know that him as dean will attract ppl no questions asked.

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:37 pm

US News rankings are also based on 40%? peer review by judges and lawyers. Berkeley dropped 0.1 in peer review this last year (which may or may not be attributable to the dean scandal) which contributed to the drop in US news rankings. With Chemerinsky, one of the premier legal scholars in the country, I think their peer review would at least get back to what it was and help them rise back up in the rankings.

xtremenite

New

Postby xtremenite » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:52 pm

Just got my merit aid offer. I can confirm they are not done giving out merit aid yet.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?