UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What does everyone want to do and where do they wanna do it?

Biglaw!! $$$
28%
Public Interest #Berkeley
20%
Government
10%
Other location (Not NE, midwest, south or Cali)
2%
California
17%
NYC
9%
DC
5%
Other North East
2%
Midwest
3%
South
3%

Total votes: 415

AllHailKingMao

Bronze

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby AllHailKingMao » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:29 pm

chandhi wrote:
AllHailKingMao wrote:
chandhi wrote:
Litt1tUp wrote:
chandhi wrote:
Litt1tUp wrote:- As people withdraw, it allows them to make additional offers that they might be holding off on.

Is this just for schollys or also offers of admission?

This is for scholarships, id assume after a certain amount of withdrawals, they'd make offers to the waitlist.

And people who haven't heard back yet AKA me lol. Thanks!!

So (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) if you haven't heard back regarding merit or need based aid, you're likely getting $0?

No I haven't heard back regarding admission haha I'm still UR

Oh, sorry-- didn't mean it in regards to you. I meant in general, if you've been admitted but haven't heard back regarding need/merit aid, does that mean that you're getting a generous offer of $0?

xtremenite

New

Postby xtremenite » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:31 pm

So (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) if you haven't heard back regarding merit or need based aid, you're likely getting $0?

Seems to be unconfirmed. Some people in this thread saying the FA office said no aid, others saying the process is still ongoing.

annazork

New

Postby annazork » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:39 pm

xtremenite wrote:

Seems to be unconfirmed. Some people in this thread saying the FA office said no aid, others saying the process is still ongoing.

I went to the admitted students reception last night, and they basically said that they are still considering people for aid if you haven't been emailed yet. I also noticed that a large majority of people there were in the same boat -- not having heard about merit yet. So don't totally give up!

LawTweet

Bronze

Postby LawTweet » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:44 pm

annazork wrote:
xtremenite wrote:

I went to the admitted students reception last night, and they basically said that they are still considering people for aid if you haven't been emailed yet. I also noticed that a large majority of people there were in the same boat -- not having heard about merit yet. So don't totally give up!

After reaching out a few times to Berkeley they finally sent me an unofficial award. They said official awards will be emailed on Friday (though I have no idea if that is all or some awards).

gypsyroselily

New

Postby gypsyroselily » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:00 pm

I just spoke to someone in financial aid and they said they don't notify people who aren't getting merit scholarships, so if you haven't heard already, assume you were reviewed and determined "not eligible" for merit aid.

Edit: Geez, are the admins at this school even talking to each other? Everyone is getting different info. What a mess.

LawTweet

Bronze

Postby LawTweet » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:03 pm

gypsyroselily wrote:I just spoke to someone in financial aid and they said they don't notify people who aren't getting merit scholarships, so if you haven't heard already, assume you were reviewed and determined "not eligible" for merit aid.

Edit: Geez, are the admins at this school even talking to each other? Everyone is getting different info. What a mess.

LOL that's the opposite of what I was told via email. They said they will send out a general email to everyone when the merit aid process is over so you'll know if you're not getting any.

gargleblaster

Bronze

Postby gargleblaster » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:05 pm

gypsyroselily wrote:I just spoke to someone in financial aid and they said they don't notify people who aren't getting merit scholarships, so if you haven't heard already, assume you were reviewed and determined "not eligible" for merit aid.

In this era of fake news, can you not recognize a misinformation campaign when you see one?

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:16 pm

They really don't want to shake the dumpster fire look they've worked so hard to earn. Like seriously, miss both scholly "waves" they put online and can't be bothered to send an email saying "You know what? We don't know what we're doing or when you'll get any info, if ever". I could at least respect that.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Postby goldenbear2020 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:18 pm

I think all the conflicting news can be reconciled under this scenario: everyone has been given a first-pass review and some of them have been offered $ (with a deadline of April 3, April 10, or whatever) while others have been no-offered (as of now). Perhaps among the no-offers, some alternates have been identified internally already. Then as the April 3 / 10 / whatever deadlines pass and offers get declined, some of those no-offers may then be considered and given offers.
Last edited by goldenbear2020 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gargleblaster

Bronze

Postby gargleblaster » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:19 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:

They really don't want to shake the dumpster fire look they've worked so hard to earn. Like seriously, miss both scholly "waves" they put online and can't be bothered to send an email saying "You know what? We don't know what we're doing or when you'll get any info, if ever". I could at least respect that.

We should have a protest in true berkeley fashion

Leliana

Bronze

Postby Leliana » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:21 pm

gargleblaster wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:

We should have a protest in true berkeley fashion

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Postby Litt1tUp » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:44 pm

In other news, everyone who is admitted - id go ahead and click tentatively accept your offer so you can apply for housing if you have any interest in on campus housing!

annazork

New

Postby annazork » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:26 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:In other news, everyone who is admitted - id go ahead and click tentatively accept your offer so you can apply for housing if you have any interest in on campus housing!

you can apply for housing without committing -- I did it a while ago.

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Postby Litt1tUp » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:28 pm

annazork wrote:
Litt1tUp wrote:In other news, everyone who is admitted - id go ahead and click tentatively accept your offer so you can apply for housing if you have any interest in on campus housing!

Really? I wasn't allowed to sign in until I clicked tentatively accept the offer -.-

xtremenite

New

Postby xtremenite » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:33 pm

Got an email response from the FA office, they are indeed not done with merit offers yet.

STribe14

New

Postby STribe14 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:37 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:
annazork wrote:

Really? I wasn't allowed to sign in until I clicked tentatively accept the offer -.-

I wasn't either, so thanks for the tip! Just sent in my housing application. Hopefully there are still available rooms in Manville :)

gypsyroselily

New

Postby gypsyroselily » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:42 pm

xtremenite wrote:Got an email response from the FA office, they are indeed not done with merit offers yet.

God, that's annoying. I was told today to assume I wasn't getting anything and ask for reconsideration with the "matching" email, so that's what I did. I might get lowballed or dismissed outright now because the administration was giving out conflicting info.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:07 pm

Ok this thread keeps going back and forth. Basically at ASW she said that it takes a long time to give out offers based on when they have applicants commit or withdraw, so they're basically going to be rolling out offers until June. However, they can't give responses on when you'll get aid so assume you won't get anything because they can't promise anything more (she said 7-10 days after ASW you can assume you won't be offered). She said you can submit your reconsideration requests now.

calpolisci2016

Bronze

Postby calpolisci2016 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:19 am

Keilz wrote:Ok this thread keeps going back and forth. Basically at ASW she said that it takes a long time to give out offers based on when they have applicants commit or withdraw, so they're basically going to be rolling out offers until June. However, they can't give responses on when you'll get aid so assume you won't get anything because they can't promise anything more (she said 7-10 days after ASW you can assume you won't be offered). She said you can submit your reconsideration requests now.

Offers until June? But reconsideration window closes May 1st lol.

gargleblaster

Bronze

Postby gargleblaster » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:12 am

Keilz wrote:Ok this thread keeps going back and forth. Basically at ASW she said that it takes a long time to give out offers based on when they have applicants commit or withdraw, so they're basically going to be rolling out offers until June. However, they can't give responses on when you'll get aid so assume you won't get anything because they can't promise anything more (she said 7-10 days after ASW you can assume you won't be offered). She said you can submit your reconsideration requests now.

mesa no like

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:43 am

calpolisci2016 wrote:

Offers until June? But reconsideration window closes May 1st lol.

You can submit without getting a Berkeley offer.

bigyellowjoint

New

Postby bigyellowjoint » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:15 am

STribe14 wrote:
Litt1tUp wrote:
annazork wrote:

I wasn't either, so thanks for the tip! Just sent in my housing application. Hopefully there are still available rooms in Manville :)

Did you have to fill out a Statement of Intent to Register first?

STribe14

New

Postby STribe14 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:18 am

bigyellowjoint wrote:
STribe14 wrote:
Litt1tUp wrote:
annazork wrote:

Did you have to fill out a Statement of Intent to Register first?

I just clicked the "Tentatively accept" option and the "Continue" button, and there was nothing else to do after that. Then I tried going back to the housing page and it let me fill out the application!

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:23 am

Did any of you guys apply for the Berkeley Law Opportunity Scholarship? The language for eligibility is something like "first in your family to earn a bachelor's degree," which is pretty clear, but I'm surprised that someone with an older sibling who graduated two years before them isn't eligible. Can anyone confirm this is the case?

grandesoylatte

New

Postby grandesoylatte » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:24 pm

Has anyone who applied for housing a few weeks back heard anything yet? I thought I applied fairly early but would like to know if I'm actually getting an "offer" or not before I visit in a few weeks (partially to find housing)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?