UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What does everyone want to do and where do they wanna do it?

Biglaw!! $$$
118
28%
Public Interest #Berkeley
84
20%
Government
42
10%
Other location (Not NE, midwest, south or Cali)
7
2%
California
71
17%
NYC
39
9%
DC
20
5%
Other North East
9
2%
Midwest
13
3%
South
12
3%
 
Total votes: 415

User avatar
armc808

Bronze
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:41 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby armc808 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:24 pm

STribe14 wrote:
armc808 wrote:
STribe14 wrote:
armc808 wrote:Regarding need-based aid: I visited Berkeley a few weeks ago for an individual visit, and when I spoke with the financial aid office the representative told me that their maximum need-based award is $22.5k. As someone who heavily depends on need-based aid, it was not the news I wanted to hear :|


Is that the same thing as the Berkeley Law Grant? At ASW they told me the maximum is $60K (over three years).

Yep the Berkeley Law Grant. Come to think of it she did not specify whether the $22.5k is per year or spread out over three years; she only asked what I received in grant aid and said "Congratulations, that is actually our maximum need-based award." My grand aid is spread out over 3 years though, not per year. Has anyone received $60k in grant aid?


My Berkeley Law Grant offer was $60K total. Maybe the financial aid rep misunderstood/misspoke when she said 22.5K was the max?

But since the max is higher than 22.5K total, you should definitely ask for more 8)

Ah okay that's good news to hear! :D I will definitely be doing that.

crookedsmile

Bronze
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:02 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby crookedsmile » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:57 pm

STribe14 wrote:
armc808 wrote:
STribe14 wrote:
armc808 wrote:Regarding need-based aid: I visited Berkeley a few weeks ago for an individual visit, and when I spoke with the financial aid office the representative told me that their maximum need-based award is $22.5k. As someone who heavily depends on need-based aid, it was not the news I wanted to hear :|


Is that the same thing as the Berkeley Law Grant? At ASW they told me the maximum is $60K (over three years).

Yep the Berkeley Law Grant. Come to think of it she did not specify whether the $22.5k is per year or spread out over three years; she only asked what I received in grant aid and said "Congratulations, that is actually our maximum need-based award." My grand aid is spread out over 3 years though, not per year. Has anyone received $60k in grant aid?


My Berkeley Law Grant offer was $60K total. Maybe the financial aid rep misunderstood/misspoke when she said 22.5K was the max?

But since the max is higher than 22.5K total, you should definitely ask for more 8)


Did your award letter specify whether this was entirely need-based or both merit/need?

User avatar
armc808

Bronze
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:41 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby armc808 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:20 pm

crookedsmile wrote:Did your award letter specify whether this was entirely need-based or both merit/need?

My award only stipulated the Berkeley Law Grant, so only need-based.

User avatar
gargleblaster

Bronze
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby gargleblaster » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:03 pm

so no news on scholly offers this week?

:(

heyya0909

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:40 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby heyya0909 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:54 pm

When I talked to the financial aid lady at ASW last week, they said emails will be going out sometime this week..... Hopefully we get another wave sometime between today and Friday? :(

User avatar
charles117

Bronze
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby charles117 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:11 pm

any word on when is the earliest that waitlisters will start hearing news?

User avatar
gargleblaster

Bronze
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby gargleblaster » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:15 pm

heyya0909 wrote:When I talked to the financial aid lady at ASW last week, they said emails will be going out sometime this week..... Hopefully we get another wave sometime between today and Friday? :(



I heard the same info

post more :('s in teh meantime

SupremeLaw

New
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SupremeLaw » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:30 pm

Have any of you not heard back yet in terms of a decision / under review still?

User avatar
charles117

Bronze
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby charles117 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:36 pm

gargleblaster wrote:
heyya0909 wrote:When I talked to the financial aid lady at ASW last week, they said emails will be going out sometime this week..... Hopefully we get another wave sometime between today and Friday? :(



I heard the same info

post more :('s in teh meantime

:(

User avatar
cyclawps

Bronze
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:17 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby cyclawps » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:41 pm

Looks like BLOS is announced.

User avatar
gargleblaster

Bronze
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby gargleblaster » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:43 pm

GG on scholarships? :(

catalina559

New
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby catalina559 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:09 pm

Finally got through to the Fin Aid office and was told scholarships would go out this weekend or early next week.

User avatar
gargleblaster

Bronze
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby gargleblaster » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:15 am

catalina559 wrote:Finally got through to the Fin Aid office and was told scholarships would go out this weekend or early next week.

:roll: :?

goldenbear2020

Silver
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby goldenbear2020 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:55 am

catalina559 wrote:Finally got through to the Fin Aid office and was told scholarships would go out this weekend or early next week.

With their track record of meeting self-imposed deadlines, April it is!

goldenbear2020

Silver
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby goldenbear2020 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:12 pm

Got my scholly offer this morning. Decent but not my top T13 offer. Will be requesting reconsideration.

bigyellowjoint

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:02 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby bigyellowjoint » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:49 pm

Just got an email saying I do not qualify for a need-based Berkeley Law Grant. I thought we would be hearing about merit-based aid? Should I take this as a 0 for merit aid?

User avatar
Nacho_Verde

New
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:43 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Nacho_Verde » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:27 pm

bigyellowjoint wrote:Just got an email saying I do not qualify for a need-based Berkeley Law Grant. I thought we would be hearing about merit-based aid? Should I take this as a 0 for merit aid?


For what it's worth, I got my merit and need yesterday.

bigyellowjoint

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:02 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby bigyellowjoint » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:22 pm

Nacho_Verde wrote:
bigyellowjoint wrote:Just got an email saying I do not qualify for a need-based Berkeley Law Grant. I thought we would be hearing about merit-based aid? Should I take this as a 0 for merit aid?


For what it's worth, I got my merit and need yesterday.


The only mention of merit aid in my email was that every admitted student is considered and that it is awarded on a rolling basis...

socalpal

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:13 am

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby socalpal » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:29 pm

So anyone hear regarding merit or need based grants? the wait is murder..... looking at outside $$ but not sure how wide to cast my net. first world problems

User avatar
nimbus cloud

Silver
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:19 am

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby nimbus cloud » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:30 pm

Got financial aid today via e-mail. FWIW it was 1/3 of what a higher ranked school had offered me. I withdrew.

User avatar
calpolisci2016

Bronze
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:42 am

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby calpolisci2016 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:15 pm

.
Last edited by calpolisci2016 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cyclawps

Bronze
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:17 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby cyclawps » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:50 am

bigyellowjoint wrote:Just got an email saying I do not qualify for a need-based Berkeley Law Grant. I thought we would be hearing about merit-based aid? Should I take this as a 0 for merit aid?

Same situation. Same question. Has anyone received an email saying that you don't qualify for need-based aid and then received notification of merit-based aid?

heyya0909

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:40 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby heyya0909 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:38 pm

For those of you who received your financial aid email, do you guys mind sharing when you submitted your CSS etc.?

jdanz

Bronze
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jdanz » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:45 pm

Has anyone who has submitted a reconsideration request received a response, aside from the automated one?

User avatar
SmallK

Bronze
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:09 am

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SmallK » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:56 pm

cyclawps wrote:
bigyellowjoint wrote:Just got an email saying I do not qualify for a need-based Berkeley Law Grant. I thought we would be hearing about merit-based aid? Should I take this as a 0 for merit aid?

Same situation. Same question. Has anyone received an email saying that you don't qualify for need-based aid and then received notification of merit-based aid?

I got the email saying I don't qualify a few weeks ago, and have not heard about merit-based.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests