UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What does everyone want to do and where do they wanna do it?

Biglaw!! $$$
28%
Public Interest #Berkeley
20%
Government
10%
Other location (Not NE, midwest, south or Cali)
2%
California
17%
NYC
9%
DC
5%
Other North East
2%
Midwest
3%
South
3%

Total votes: 415

calmike

Bronze

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby calmike » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:44 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Monday wrote:
genjustice wrote:
calmike wrote:Is it worth applying to UC Berkeley Law with a 2.9 GPA? I am working on a personal statement for UC Berkeley so I don't want to waste my time.

I have a 166 LSAT. I am a URM Berkeley alum

I believe the deadline to apply was February 1?

It was. But:

calmike wrote:I want to apply next fall to Law School

yes, go for it.

Thank you :) I will

calmike

Bronze

Postby calmike » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:45 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:You know for a school that is promotes: "Candor, integrity, and keeping one’s word are characteristics vital in the legal profession."

It's ironic they didn't release scholarships when they said they would, but that's just me being super salty... still got 3 hours left today.

I've heard that they have a new Financial Aid system? I heard from undergrads that their new student systems is very faulty or staff is barely learning how to use it.

charles117

Bronze

Postby charles117 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:37 pm

calmike wrote:
genjustice wrote:
calmike wrote:Is it worth applying to UC Berkeley Law with a 2.9 GPA? I am working on a personal statement for UC Berkeley so I don't want to waste my time.

I have a 166 LSAT. I am a URM Berkeley alum

I believe the deadline to apply was February 1?

I am planning to apply Fall 2017 :)

see if you can get higher on the practice lsat tests. if you can get 170+ by june that would help your chances a lot

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:41 pm

For anyone planning on visiting, where are you thinking of staying? Does anyone know anything about the Faculty Club?

Wallyplatypus

New

Postby Wallyplatypus » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:55 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:For anyone planning on visiting, where are you thinking of staying? Does anyone know anything about the Faculty Club?

Cal undergrad here. Faculty club is inside the campus, looks quaint and nice. Faculty Club and Bancroft Hotel are the closest hotels to Boalt Law.

Christinabruin

Bronze

Postby Christinabruin » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:30 am

studyingeveryday wrote:For anyone planning on visiting, where are you thinking of staying? Does anyone know anything about the Faculty Club?

I don't know anything about the Faculty Club, but I'm staying at a hotel in Oakland (20 minute drive away) since they had some cheaper/cleaner/better hotels than other areas and I was going to rent a car anyway!

crookedsmile

Bronze

Postby crookedsmile » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:56 am

Wallyplatypus wrote:

Cal undergrad here. Faculty club is inside the campus, looks quaint and nice. Faculty Club and Bancroft Hotel are the closest hotels to Boalt Law.

+1 but pretttty pricey.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:25 am

crookedsmile wrote:
Wallyplatypus wrote:

+1 but pretttty pricey.

thanks! any difference between flying into san francisco or oakland? pros and cons to either? which is it easier to get to berkeley area from with public transportation?

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:52 am

studyingeveryday wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
Wallyplatypus wrote:

+1 but pretttty pricey.

thanks! any difference between flying into san francisco or oakland? pros and cons to either? which is it easier to get to berkeley area from with public transportation?

I just went this summer. From SFO you can take the BART directly to areas in Berkeley and Oakland.
Last edited by Keilz on Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:01 pm

Keilz wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
Wallyplatypus wrote:

+1 but pretttty pricey.

I just went this summer. From SFO you can take the BART directly to areas in Berkeley and Oakland. No other airports on the BART system

do you think taking the BART from airports to berkeley after 10 pm would be considered safe?

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:04 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:
Keilz wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
Wallyplatypus wrote:

+1 but pretttty pricey.

I just went this summer. From SFO you can take the BART directly to areas in Berkeley and Oakland. No other airports on the BART system

do you think taking the BART from airports to berkeley after 10 pm would be considered safe?

I'm not really super familiar with the area and I come from NYC, but I don't think you'll have much trouble on the train. I took it at night with a friend, but it felt fine. The train station is inside of SFO, and if you set up a Lyft or something to take you from the train to the hotel I think you would be okay.

I need to book my ASW Tix this weekend!

crookedsmile

Bronze

Postby crookedsmile » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:11 pm

Keilz wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
Wallyplatypus wrote:

+1 but pretttty pricey.

^ this is half true. Both SFO and Oakland airport are accessible by the BART system. Both have BART stations inside of them. I always found it easier to fly into Oakland but both are pretty simply trips. Depending what part of the country you're flying in from, your flight might be cheaper at SFO vs. Oakland or vice versa.

Flying into either Oak or SFO that late is fine, but at that point I would just suggest taking a Lyft/Uber since BART can get sketch after hours and actually runs less frequently after about 9PM.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:18 pm

crookedsmile wrote:
Keilz wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
Wallyplatypus wrote:

+1 but pretttty pricey.

^ this is half true. Both SFO and Oakland airport are accessible by the BART system. Both have BART stations inside of them. I always found it easier to fly into Oakland but both are pretty simply trips. Depending what part of the country you're flying in from, your flight might be cheaper at SFO vs. Oakland or vice versa.

Flying into either Oak or SFO that late is fine, but at that point I would just suggest taking a Lyft/Uber since BART can get sketch after hours and actually runs less frequently after about 9PM.

I think I would get there after 9 pm, so I'll take that into consideration, thanks!

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:18 pm

Keilz wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:
Keilz wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
Wallyplatypus wrote:

+1 but pretttty pricey.

I'm not really super familiar with the area and I come from NYC, but I don't think you'll have much trouble on the train. I took it at night with a friend, but it felt fine. The train station is inside of SFO, and if you set up a Lyft or something to take you from the train to the hotel I think you would be okay.

I need to book my ASW Tix this weekend!

+1! I'm thinking of going on Thursday and Friday and then flying back Saturday.

TripleM

Bronze

Postby TripleM » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:45 pm

As stated above, both airports have access to the BART system. The uber/taxi/lyft ride from SFO would be sort of expensive and not much faster. If I were flying into OAK late at night I might consider a ride service because it would be pretty snappy and reasonably priced. I rode BART for years and never feared for my safety, but I'll only speak for myself on that front. It is true that it runs less frequently in the late evening.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:29 pm

My bad for being wrong about the Oakland airport! I try not to speak too much on things I'm not familiar with for this reason :) edited my original post

crookedsmile

Bronze

Postby crookedsmile » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:47 pm

Keilz wrote:My bad for being wrong about the Oakland airport! I try not to speak too much on things I'm not familiar with for this reason :) edited my original post

You were just trying to be helpful!

Wallyplatypus

New

Postby Wallyplatypus » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:27 pm

Both airports are equally accessible. Uberpool can be a bit cheaper. Or you can BART from SFO to Downtown SF(avoid Civic Center stop)/Ashby and take a uber/lyft from there to your destination.

socalpal

New

Postby socalpal » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:56 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:
Keilz wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
Wallyplatypus wrote:

+1 but pretttty pricey.

yes, its safe. you'll be fine. the only thing to consider is the cost of bart. the airport taxes your bart ticket so its pretty expensive (comparably speaking). i considered flying into SFO but the bart ticket is going to be 14-16 dollars... you will have to take a bus from oakland to bart but its not expensive.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:03 pm

socalpal wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:
Keilz wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
Wallyplatypus wrote:

+1 but pretttty pricey.

yes, its safe. you'll be fine. the only thing to consider is the cost of bart. the airport taxes your bart ticket so its pretty expensive (comparably speaking). i considered flying into SFO but the bart ticket is going to be 14-16 dollars... you will have to take a bus from oakland to bart but its not expensive.

good to know, that did not cross my mind. thanks!

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:03 pm

crookedsmile wrote:
Keilz wrote:My bad for being wrong about the Oakland airport! I try not to speak too much on things I'm not familiar with for this reason :) edited my original post

You were just trying to be helpful!

yeah thanks for speaking of your experience! you couldn't have known!

eck456

Bronze

Postby eck456 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:43 pm

Christinabruin wrote:

I don't know anything about the Faculty Club, but I'm staying at a hotel in Oakland (20 minute drive away) since they had some cheaper/cleaner/better hotels than other areas and I was going to rent a car anyway!

FYI parking in/ at Berkeley is a total disaster. It's about $20 / day at lots near campus, and the ones that aren't lots you have to move your car every four hours. It will be as cheap or cheaper to uber or BART - BART takes you to a stop right near the law school, it's a pretty easy walk but not sure where your hotel in Oakland is

source: a $200 ticket the first day of TFA induction at Berk, on a $0/ month salary at the time. each one teach one.

eck456

Bronze

Postby eck456 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:45 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:
Keilz wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
Wallyplatypus wrote:

+1 but pretttty pricey.

riding after 10 is fine, but service stops at midnightish so it's just not an option if your plane gets delayed

Christinabruin

Bronze

Postby Christinabruin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:39 am

eck456 wrote:
Christinabruin wrote:

FYI parking in/ at Berkeley is a total disaster. It's about $20 / day at lots near campus, and the ones that aren't lots you have to move your car every four hours. It will be as cheap or cheaper to uber or BART - BART takes you to a stop right near the law school, it's a pretty easy walk but not sure where your hotel in Oakland is

source: a $200 ticket the first day of TFA induction at Berk, on a $0/ month salary at the time. each one teach one.

Yikes thank you for the heads up! I guess I will drop my rental car off at a friend's place and take uber/BART from there. I'm flying in to SFO since the flight tickets were $250ish cheaper than flying directly into OAK, but my actual hotel is right near Oakland airport so I'm all over the place :cry: :cry:

staypuff

New

Postby staypuff » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:32 am

Christinabruin wrote:
Yikes thank you for the heads up! I guess I will drop my rental car off at a friend's place and take uber/BART from there. I'm flying in to SFO since the flight tickets were $250ish cheaper than flying directly into OAK, but my actual hotel is right near Oakland airport so I'm all over the place :cry: :cry:

FWIW, as a life long Bay Area native, I would take BART from SFO to your hotel and avoid renting a car unless you were planning on driving to locations outside of Berkeley / Oakland / SF / Albany / El Cerrito. BART + Lyft will cover you for a fraction of the cost, are convenient, and you'll get to see a different view of the area. The BART station at SFO is clean and orderly, and so is the one at Oakland Coliseum (which it sounds might be your stop). Berkeley is awesome, I hope you enjoy it!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?