UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What does everyone want to do and where do they wanna do it?

Biglaw!! $$$
119
29%
Public Interest #Berkeley
84
20%
Government
42
10%
Other location (Not NE, midwest, south or Cali)
7
2%
California
71
17%
NYC
39
9%
DC
20
5%
Other North East
9
2%
Midwest
13
3%
South
12
3%
 
Total votes: 416

bulldog5

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby bulldog5 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:13 am

bettyboopydoop wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:
I live out of state and received mine, it was the official acceptance letter, a letter from the Dean, a letter from career development, and letter from financial aid). There was also a thick book with info all about Berkeley, which was really nice. The folder it's in is quite cute and our name is handwritten on it. Also a cool map of the bay area.


Yeah it's super cute! They have quotes from John Lennon and Mother Theresa which is just the hippie-dippy stuff I'm into. It got me super excited!


Got in through email on Monday, so now I'm just sitting patiently in Midwest snow, waiting for my acceptance package to brighten my day!

User avatar
Assasindowntheavenue

Silver
Posts: 818
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:20 pm

Any idea how generous Berkeley is with schollies?

ellielaw

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:25 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ellielaw » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:21 pm

Is anyone attending the Diversity Dinner in SF?

Ashleighjarm

New
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Ashleighjarm » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:22 pm

bulldog5 wrote:
bettyboopydoop wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:
I live out of state and received mine, it was the official acceptance letter, a letter from the Dean, a letter from career development, and letter from financial aid). There was also a thick book with info all about Berkeley, which was really nice. The folder it's in is quite cute and our name is handwritten on it. Also a cool map of the bay area.


Yeah it's super cute! They have quotes from John Lennon and Mother Theresa which is just the hippie-dippy stuff I'm into. It got me super excited!


Got in through email on Monday, so now I'm just sitting patiently in Midwest snow, waiting for my acceptance package to brighten my day!


Congrats! When did you go UR?

hopeful applicant

New
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:56 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby hopeful applicant » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:38 pm

ellielaw wrote:Is anyone attending the Diversity Dinner in SF?


I am!

User avatar
charles117

Bronze
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby charles117 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:51 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:Any idea how generous Berkeley is with schollies?

they're pretty stingy from what i heard

User avatar
Assasindowntheavenue

Silver
Posts: 818
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:53 pm

charles117 wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:Any idea how generous Berkeley is with schollies?

they're pretty stingy from what i heard


I've heard that too but saw the past couple years on LSN and they were somewhat sporadic, so not quite sure.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Rigo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:58 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
charles117 wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:Any idea how generous Berkeley is with schollies?

they're pretty stingy from what i heard

I've heard that too but saw the past couple years on LSN and they were somewhat sporadic, so not quite sure.

And they're apparently going to do things different this year now that their formal matching program is gone. So it's really anyone's guess.

User avatar
Assasindowntheavenue

Silver
Posts: 818
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:15 pm

Rigo wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
charles117 wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:Any idea how generous Berkeley is with schollies?

they're pretty stingy from what i heard

I've heard that too but saw the past couple years on LSN and they were somewhat sporadic, so not quite sure.

And they're apparently going to do things different this year now that their formal matching program is gone. So it's really anyone's guess.


That's a good point. I think I'm mainly wondering how they choose amounts for applicants, seeing as they aren't too LSAT (and to a lesser extent, numbers in general) focused, so much as interesting backgrounds/diversity. I saw some ppl with relatively low LSATs and GPAs get $105k all the way up to $150k, and some ppl with high stats get considerably less. So like you said, seems it's anyone's guess.

ETA: we should start to know by next Wednesday thankfully!

User avatar
MAPP

Bronze
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:03 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby MAPP » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:43 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
MAPP wrote:In on Fri last week and am willing to answer questions about my Berk application

What were your stats, urm?


non-urm, above both medians

goldenbear2020

Silver
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby goldenbear2020 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:44 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
charles117 wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:Any idea how generous Berkeley is with schollies?

they're pretty stingy from what i heard

I've heard that too but saw the past couple years on LSN and they were somewhat sporadic, so not quite sure.

And they're apparently going to do things different this year now that their formal matching program is gone. So it's really anyone's guess.


That's a good point. I think I'm mainly wondering how they choose amounts for applicants, seeing as they aren't too LSAT (and to a lesser extent, numbers in general) focused, so much as interesting backgrounds/diversity. I saw some ppl with relatively low LSATs and GPAs get $105k all the way up to $150k, and some ppl with high stats get considerably less. So like you said, seems it's anyone's guess.

ETA: we should start to know by next Wednesday thankfully!

"Contrary to the popular belief that only LSAT/GPA combinations are used to determine scholarship merit, we use an holistic review process to determine our scholarship awards.

So, what are we looking for?"

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/admitted-s ... holarship/

User avatar
Assasindowntheavenue

Silver
Posts: 818
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:47 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
charles117 wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:Any idea how generous Berkeley is with schollies?

they're pretty stingy from what i heard

I've heard that too but saw the past couple years on LSN and they were somewhat sporadic, so not quite sure.

And they're apparently going to do things different this year now that their formal matching program is gone. So it's really anyone's guess.


That's a good point. I think I'm mainly wondering how they choose amounts for applicants, seeing as they aren't too LSAT (and to a lesser extent, numbers in general) focused, so much as interesting backgrounds/diversity. I saw some ppl with relatively low LSATs and GPAs get $105k all the way up to $150k, and some ppl with high stats get considerably less. So like you said, seems it's anyone's guess.

ETA: we should start to know by next Wednesday thankfully!

"Contrary to the popular belief that only LSAT/GPA combinations are used to determine scholarship merit, we use an holistic review process to determine our scholarship awards.

So, what are we looking for?"

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/admitted-s ... holarship/


I forgot about this lol. Thank you.

User avatar
Christinabruin

Bronze
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Christinabruin » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:57 pm

nimbus2020 wrote:
charles117 wrote:
genjustice wrote:Does anyone know how long it takes for CalNet IDs to get sent out?

also if we went to cal for undergrad does our calnet id stay the same?


Took me a week to get the email. It says that if you already have one you don't need to create another.


I just received mine this morning so it took me exactly a week as well!

User avatar
airwrecka

Silver
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby airwrecka » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:01 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:"Contrary to the popular belief that only LSAT/GPA combinations are used to determine scholarship merit, we use an holistic review process to determine our scholarship awards.

So, what are we looking for?"

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/admitted-s ... holarship/


reading through their requirements, I so desperately want to believe I fulfill most of those criteria. we shall see (maybe) next week, though! :lol:

User avatar
Mr_Chukes

Silver
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Mr_Chukes » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:03 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
charles117 wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:Any idea how generous Berkeley is with schollies?

they're pretty stingy from what i heard

I've heard that too but saw the past couple years on LSN and they were somewhat sporadic, so not quite sure.

And they're apparently going to do things different this year now that their formal matching program is gone. So it's really anyone's guess.


That's a good point. I think I'm mainly wondering how they choose amounts for applicants, seeing as they aren't too LSAT (and to a lesser extent, numbers in general) focused, so much as interesting backgrounds/diversity. I saw some ppl with relatively low LSATs and GPAs get $105k all the way up to $150k, and some ppl with high stats get considerably less. So like you said, seems it's anyone's guess.

ETA: we should start to know by next Wednesday thankfully!

"Contrary to the popular belief that only LSAT/GPA combinations are used to determine scholarship merit, we use an holistic review process to determine our scholarship awards.

So, what are we looking for?"

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/admitted-s ... holarship/

LSAT, GPA, Personal Statement, Diversity statement, LOR, work experience, and diversity are what I can think of as of right now lol.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Rigo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:05 pm

Well let's hope they love me and give me $120k+

User avatar
Litt1tUp

Bronze
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:07 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Litt1tUp » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:10 pm

airwrecka wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:"Contrary to the popular belief that only LSAT/GPA combinations are used to determine scholarship merit, we use an holistic review process to determine our scholarship awards.

So, what are we looking for?"

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/admitted-s ... holarship/


reading through their requirements, I so desperately want to believe I fulfill most of those criteria. we shall see (maybe) next week, though! :lol:


I'd like to say the same but I think everyone admitted probably thinks the same thing lol

User avatar
Assasindowntheavenue

Silver
Posts: 818
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:15 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:"Contrary to the popular belief that only LSAT/GPA combinations are used to determine scholarship merit, we use an holistic review process to determine our scholarship awards.

So, what are we looking for?"

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/admitted-s ... holarship/


reading through their requirements, I so desperately want to believe I fulfill most of those criteria. we shall see (maybe) next week, though! :lol:


I'd like to say the same but I think everyone admitted probably thinks the same thing lol


+1. This is why I asked on here, since the reqs are pretty cookie cutter...

genjustice

New
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:24 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby genjustice » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:27 pm

I wonder if FR admits get less schollie money compared to those that are admitted directly by Dean Tom/Admissions Office?

4'sup

New
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:42 am

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby 4'sup » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:39 pm

Admit checking in. Would be my first choice if they matched or came close to my michigan full tuition scholly. I want to be in the bay. Im really hoping that despite their matching program being gone, they will still negotiate a tiny bit. happy to see most haven't had scholly offers yet.

User avatar
nimbus cloud

Silver
Posts: 536
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:19 am

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby nimbus cloud » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:42 pm

.
Last edited by nimbus cloud on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

socalpal

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:13 am

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby socalpal » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:51 am

anyone going to LA diversity dinner? i reserved but i really dont like driving to santa monica :evil:

User avatar
Christinabruin

Bronze
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Christinabruin » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:57 am

socalpal wrote:anyone going to LA diversity dinner? i reserved but i really dont like driving to santa monica :evil:


I'm going! I hate the drive there too though :x

User avatar
Assasindowntheavenue

Silver
Posts: 818
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:34 pm

Christinabruin wrote:
socalpal wrote:anyone going to LA diversity dinner? i reserved but i really dont like driving to santa monica :evil:


I'm going! I hate the drive there too though :x


+1. Really not looking forward to the traffic, but am interested in going!

Also, yeah the admit packet is pretty nice!!

User avatar
Christinabruin

Bronze
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Christinabruin » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:06 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
Christinabruin wrote:
socalpal wrote:anyone going to LA diversity dinner? i reserved but i really dont like driving to santa monica :evil:


I'm going! I hate the drive there too though :x


+1. Really not looking forward to the traffic, but am interested in going!

Also, yeah the admit packet is pretty nice!!


Looking forward to seeing you guys there!! I got the admit package yesterday too and I loved it, especially the map haha



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests