Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Have you received your need based scholarship?

Yes!
44%
No :(
28%
I didn't apply for one
28%

Total votes: 32

ashrice13

Gold

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ashrice13 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:16 am

BU sent me a Boston guide book and BU law car decal. Nice touch.

crimsonknight

New

Postby crimsonknight » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:01 pm

Has anyone tried negotiating their scholarships with Boston University yet? If so, any luck?

theboringest

Bronze

Postby theboringest » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:12 pm

crimsonknight wrote:Has anyone tried negotiating their scholarships with Boston University yet? If so, any luck?

I've been waiting to get some offers but I think I have everything I need at this point- trying to do some final research today and see if I can figure out how best to approach/word my email. It's tough because I have comparable or better cost of attendance offers from T14 schools...so on just pure money BU isn't far behind, it's just the balance of jobs/money that I am trying to figure out how to word...so like do I say "hey UVA/Cornell will cost me less to attend and I have a 40% higher chance of a super desirable outcome" or do I leave it as an implication? Do I say "hey if BU can give me full tuition" (which I don't know how to word without sounding like a greedy fuck) that I'll deposit that day and withdraw other apps (which is true, I would do that)? I just don't know.

God damn I should have just hired MS9.

littlekidlover

New

Postby littlekidlover » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:24 pm

theboringest wrote:
crimsonknight wrote:Has anyone tried negotiating their scholarships with Boston University yet? If so, any luck?

I've been waiting to get some offers but I think I have everything I need at this point- trying to do some final research today and see if I can figure out how best to approach/word my email. It's tough because I have comparable or better cost of attendance offers from T14 schools...so on just pure money BU isn't far behind, it's just the balance of jobs/money that I am trying to figure out how to word...so like do I say "hey UVA/Cornell will cost me less to attend and I have a 40% higher chance of a super desirable outcome" or do I leave it as an implication? Do I say "hey if BU can give me full tuition" (which I don't know how to word without sounding like a greedy fuck) that I'll deposit that day and withdraw other apps (which is true, I would do that)? I just don't know.

uh, yeah. it sounds like you know exactly what you need to do - they understand the appeal of the t14 so i'm sure they will increase the offer. actually saying full tuition might be aggressive but i've heard people say that it helps to have a specific proposal for them to consider. assuring them that a competitive offer would make you enroll will help too.

i'm here because i was also wondering how open BU is to negotiation. already have hefty scholarship offers from higher ranked schools but think BU would be good for me, so I'm curious to see how they handle your situation. Good luck, and leave some money for me! :D

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:10 pm

theboringest wrote:

Also, you need to be looking at CoA, not just tuition. That's something that T14 school admissions deans talked about at a forum I went to. Basically, you should look at the offer holistically (mainly because some people will try to negotiate by saying _ gave me more money when they did, but they're also more expensive)

theboringest

Bronze

Postby theboringest » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:22 pm

brinicolec wrote:
theboringest wrote:

Also, you need to be looking at CoA, not just tuition. That's something that T14 school admissions deans talked about at a forum I went to. Basically, you should look at the offer holistically (mainly because some people will try to negotiate by saying _ gave me more money when they did, but they're also more expensive)

Yeah definitely- COA not tuition. Tuition at BU being like 7-10k lower than T14 makes a difference. That said, as a Boston native I'm also pretty confident saying that BU (and BC) are, uhh, conservative in their COL estimates for Boston lol.

whodareswins

Bronze

Postby whodareswins » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:55 pm

theboringest wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
theboringest wrote:

Yeah definitely- COA not tuition. Tuition at BU being like 7-10k lower than T14 makes a difference. That said, as a Boston native I'm also pretty confident saying that BU (and BC) are, uhh, conservative in their COL estimates for Boston lol.

What would you say is a good amount to prepare to spend for livIng expenses per year? 24k?

theboringest

Bronze

Postby theboringest » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:04 pm

whodareswins wrote:
theboringest wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
theboringest wrote:

What would you say is a good amount to prepare to spend for livIng expenses per year? 24k?

Yeah that seems more reasonable- also depends on if you need health insurance through the school or if you're covered on a parent/spouse plan...but for a single person not needing health insurance/without serious obligations 24k is reasonable. You'll pay roughly 1100-1200 in rent/utilities if you're shrewd about it...so you'll be paying over 12k a year just for housing alone. That leaves around 7k on BU's estimated budget for transportation...books...computers/electronics...food...clothes...emergencies...yeah. Not gonna happen. Boston's not cheap.

JGPGH

New

Postby JGPGH » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:06 pm

Does BU update their status checker when an application goes under review? Or do they just keep it at "complete" until a decision is rendered?

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Postby BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:39 am

JGPGH wrote:Does BU update their status checker when an application goes under review? Or do they just keep it at "complete" until a decision is rendered?

Stays "complete" until decision. Am waiting for my decision too. Good luck!

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Postby BostonOrBust » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:30 pm

Still just hanging out after going complete in early Jan, just checking in. Kind of spooked because I expected a similar timeline to BC and I got a BC decision weeks ago now. Ah, well.

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Postby BostonOrBust » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:36 pm

theboringest wrote:
whodareswins wrote:
theboringest wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
theboringest wrote:

Yeah that seems more reasonable- also depends on if you need health insurance through the school or if you're covered on a parent/spouse plan...but for a single person not needing health insurance/without serious obligations 24k is reasonable. You'll pay roughly 1100-1200 in rent/utilities if you're shrewd about it...so you'll be paying over 12k a year just for housing alone. That leaves around 7k on BU's estimated budget for transportation...books...computers/electronics...food...clothes...emergencies...yeah. Not gonna happen. Boston's not cheap.

Depending on your living situation I might even up that estimate a bit.

I live a modest lifestyle in Boston and take home in the $30k range post taxes and it is... quite tight. That's paying rent at significantly lower rate than what Boringest estimated as well (just because I got wicked lucky with my living situation.) I have a few extra expenses like a dog, car, and some fairly regular medical expenses, but I would say $30k is a pretty reasonable assumption if you intend to live almost comfortably.

em15

Bronze

Postby em15 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:06 pm

BostonOrBust wrote:Still just hanging out after going complete in early Jan, just checking in. Kind of spooked because I expected a similar timeline to BC and I got a BC decision weeks ago now. Ah, well.

I applied early Jan too, and I'm still waiting for both. Every week I think it's the week, and then it isn't.

SeanORaff33

Bronze

Postby SeanORaff33 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:26 am

Who are y'all using for negs?

I have full at IUbloom, Iowa, Wake (which I am hopefully not going to have to use), and got about half at GW and W&M. I already started negotiating with GW and W&M, so once I get them back I think I am gonna go forward with BU/BC. I started with 15k/yrly and would need 25-30 in order to feel comfortable enrolling.

aaron1621

New

Postby aaron1621 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:41 am

Is it too late to apply?

Dodocogon

Silver

Postby Dodocogon » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:00 am

SeanORaff33 wrote:Who are y'all using for negs?

I have full at IUbloom, Iowa, Wake (which I am hopefully not going to have to use), and got about half at GW and W&M. I already started negotiating with GW and W&M, so once I get them back I think I am gonna go forward with BU/BC. I started with 15k/yrly and would need 25-30 in order to feel comfortable enrolling.

[+] Spoiler
Don't quote this part

Most likely BC and GW - I'm also underway with W&M, so if that one comes out good enough I could use it here. Am gonna use it with BC to see if they're receptive. Maybe Minnesota, too.

In the terms of full schollies to lower schools, I'm using a policy of mentioning them but not attaching them to my letter, as I am with the similarly ranked offers. Not sure if that's good, but they are actually on my mind so I don't think it hurts - plus I'm using it as a way to try to flatter the school some more.

turkeyncheese

New

Postby turkeyncheese » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:32 am

I went complete on October 21st.... Does this warrant a phone call to check and see what is going on or should I just wait it out? Assuming it'll be a ding/WL if it's taking this long but this is the last school I need to hear back from.

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Postby tuesdayninja » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:37 am

BU plz call or ding me. Thnx.

lawof11

New

Postby lawof11 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:01 pm

+1, +1 to both of you guys.

New

Postby 48976 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:59 pm

Is any one else going on 14 weeks? Over 50% for both LSAT and GPA and this is the last school I'm waiting on....

littlekidlover

New

Postby littlekidlover » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:12 pm

Since WUSTL is higher ranked, is there a good chance BU will at least match their scholarship offer? I think BU would be great for me but given the aversion I've seen online to attending non-t14s I would need an aggressive offer.

I'll note I am a splitter, and WUSTL is famously kind to splitters, so I worry BU would balk at matching their offer. Disclosure: this is premature as BU has not even accepted me yet.

Ashleighjarm

New

Postby Ashleighjarm » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:34 pm

Dodocogon wrote:
SeanORaff33 wrote:Who are y'all using for negs?

[+] Spoiler
Don't quote this part

Most likely BC and GW - I'm also underway with W&M, so if that one comes out good enough I could use it here. Am gonna use it with BC to see if they're receptive. Maybe Minnesota, too.

In the terms of full schollies to lower schools, I'm using a policy of mentioning them but not attaching them to my letter, as I am with the similarly ranked offers. Not sure if that's good, but they are actually on my mind so I don't think it hurts - plus I'm using it as a way to try to flatter the school some more.

How far do you go with "similarly ranked?" For example, if you have a great offer at 25, can you use it at 20? Or is that too many spots?

eastcoast1001

New

Postby eastcoast1001 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:35 pm

48976 wrote:Is any one else going on 14 weeks? Over 50% for both LSAT and GPA and this is the last school I'm waiting on....

I am at 15 weeks as of today. 25<LSAT<50; GPA>75

BarMan

New

Postby BarMan » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:31 pm

em15 wrote:
BostonOrBust wrote:Still just hanging out after going complete in early Jan, just checking in. Kind of spooked because I expected a similar timeline to BC and I got a BC decision weeks ago now. Ah, well.

I applied early Jan too, and I'm still waiting for both. Every week I think it's the week, and then it isn't.

Ha, still waiting on both Boston schools as well and applied around the same time. One of these weeks :roll:

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:15 am

BarMan wrote:
em15 wrote:

Ha, still waiting on both Boston schools as well and applied around the same time. One of these weeks :roll:

+1

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?