Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Have you received your need based scholarship?

Yes!
14
44%
No :(
9
28%
I didn't apply for one
9
28%
 
Total votes: 32

lvlaw3

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:21 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lvlaw3 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:54 pm

2000andBeyond wrote:Did anyone else just get a congratulations email with no money?? :o :cry:


Yup, praying my little heart out that it doesn't mean we get nothing...

2000andBeyond

Silver
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:52 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby 2000andBeyond » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:02 pm

lvlaw3 wrote:
2000andBeyond wrote:Did anyone else just get a congratulations email with no money?? :o :cry:


Yup, praying my little heart out that it doesn't mean we get nothing...


I hope so too :( I mean if dassit, they should have just sent me an email saying they revoked my acceptance, because uhhh yeah...I ain't going lol

monotonemr

New
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:31 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby monotonemr » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:03 pm

Did the people who got their offers today get deferred from ED? That might be why they heard first.

lvlaw3

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:21 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lvlaw3 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:05 pm

anyone else who got a scholarship email today get a "welcome" email from the Dean at some point beforehand? I got in 1/23, so I'm hoping they're just doing the $$$ emails in waves.

mrtux45

Bronze
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:08 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mrtux45 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:09 pm

monotonemr wrote:Did the people who got their offers today get deferred from ED? That might be why they heard first.


Didn't think of this.. I was RD and haven't received an email. Are you in the same boat?

2000andBeyond

Silver
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:52 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby 2000andBeyond » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:12 pm

lvlaw3 wrote:anyone else who got a scholarship email today get a "welcome" email from the Dean at some point beforehand? I got in 1/23, so I'm hoping they're just doing the $$$ emails in waves.


Got in on the same day! Please let this be it!!

User avatar
azaleafire

Bronze
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby azaleafire » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:17 pm

monotonemr wrote:Did the people who got their offers today get deferred from ED? That might be why they heard first.


Nope. Sorry to burst the bubble but I was RD.

monotonemr

New
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:31 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby monotonemr » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:18 pm

mrtux45 wrote:
monotonemr wrote:Did the people who got their offers today get deferred from ED? That might be why they heard first.


Didn't think of this.. I was RD and haven't received an email. Are you in the same boat?


Yes I only received the email from the Dean. But I was also only accepted last week so I didn't expect to hear on scholarship info until later.

monotonemr

New
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:31 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby monotonemr » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:20 pm

azaleafire wrote:
monotonemr wrote:Did the people who got their offers today get deferred from ED? That might be why they heard first.


Nope. Sorry to burst the bubble but I was RD.


No bubble bursted. Just thought that might be an explanation why some have heard back and others haven't. It's probably just based on when you were accepted.

magdalena92

New
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:33 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby magdalena92 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:22 pm

I think I was in one of the first wave of acceptances back in December (or November?) and I haven't received any scholarship emails yet!

magdalena92

New
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:33 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby magdalena92 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:23 pm

I think I was in one of the first wave of acceptances back in December (or November?) and I haven't received any scholarship emails yet!

mrtux45

Bronze
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:08 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mrtux45 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:24 pm

monotonemr wrote:
azaleafire wrote:
monotonemr wrote:Did the people who got their offers today get deferred from ED? That might be why they heard first.


Nope. Sorry to burst the bubble but I was RD.


No bubble bursted. Just thought that might be an explanation why some have heard back and others haven't. It's probably just based on when you were accepted.


Could be bad news for me then, I was admitted 1/3. I'm not above both 75th but based on mylsn I was pretty certain I'd get something. Hopefully they're doing scholarships in waves

dclaw93

Bronze
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 9:44 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby dclaw93 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:59 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
dclaw93 wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
dclaw93 wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:Got my offer!

Half-tuition. Kind of disappointing, but I've probably been comparing offers of the like to final offers on LSN and such. Does make it feasible though! Excited to see offers from BC and others and then get to work on getting it up a bit.


+1 - also got half-tuition. Hope I'm able to get this up further with some other offers I've gotten already!

I was accepted at the start of January.

When you say half - do you mean half off just the tuition or half off the total COA? Mine is about half of their projected COA but it's difficult to determine how that will fluctuate every year. Tuition will go up, for sure. But I'm imagining rent and transportation costs will as well.


Unfortunately I meant half off just the tuition :( hope I'm able to negotiate to what you got!

It's tough because it's a ton of money, don't get me wrong, but when you include rent, utilities, car payment/insurance, and paying off the rest of the tuition...the amount left over that still needs to be paid by loans is insane added up over 3 years. If I managed my UG payment better I would probably be less worried.

Nevermind. I don't want to law school anymore.


Completely agree on this. Really tough explaining to friends/family why an offer like this isn't something I immediately jump on. I try to explain this would still leave me with almost six figures in loans...

angelfan5589

New
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:51 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby angelfan5589 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:01 pm

I was accepted three weeks ago. Got scholarship info today via email.

User avatar
tuesdayninja

Bronze
Posts: 369
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:37 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby tuesdayninja » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:05 pm

Alright BU gimme the call, accepted to vandy and Emory today and waiting on you.

User avatar
Litt1tUp

Bronze
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:07 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Litt1tUp » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:16 pm

Does BU match scholarships?

User avatar
whodareswins

Bronze
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:47 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby whodareswins » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:20 pm

magdalena92 wrote:I think I was in one of the first wave of acceptances back in December (or November?) and I haven't received any scholarship emails yet!


Same, I got my acceptance the first week of December and haven't heard about a scholly yet. I'm above both 75ths so hoping for 120k.

User avatar
Litt1tUp

Bronze
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:07 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Litt1tUp » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:23 pm

whodareswins wrote:
magdalena92 wrote:I think I was in one of the first wave of acceptances back in December (or November?) and I haven't received any scholarship emails yet!


Same, I got my acceptance the first week of December and haven't heard about a scholly yet. I'm above both 75ths so hoping for 120k.


That's where I am and was hoping for the same thing, but didn't even break 100k... kind of bummed since I received higher scholarships from higher ranked schools :/

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1792
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ashrice13 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:27 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:Does BU match scholarships?

I think they will negotiate...especially if you get a competitive amount from BC.

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1792
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ashrice13 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:31 pm

I wonder if they offer us ED deferred people more money. We have already proven that we will definitely go there for the right price. Wonder if this could also be a leverage point in negotiations

User avatar
whodareswins

Bronze
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:47 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby whodareswins » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:41 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:
whodareswins wrote:
magdalena92 wrote:I think I was in one of the first wave of acceptances back in December (or November?) and I haven't received any scholarship emails yet!


Same, I got my acceptance the first week of December and haven't heard about a scholly yet. I'm above both 75ths so hoping for 120k.


That's where I am and was hoping for the same thing, but didn't even break 100k... kind of bummed since I received higher scholarships from higher ranked schools :/


Sorry to hear that. Kind of surprising based on LSN data. Are you well above the 75ths? Any work experience or noteworthy softs?

monotonemr

New
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:31 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby monotonemr » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:54 pm

ashrice13 wrote:I wonder if they offer us ED deferred people more money. We have already proven that we will definitely go there for the right price. Wonder if this could also be a leverage point in negotiations


On the other hand they might undercut you because they already know how much you want to attend.

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1792
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ashrice13 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:03 pm

monotonemr wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:I wonder if they offer us ED deferred people more money. We have already proven that we will definitely go there for the right price. Wonder if this could also be a leverage point in negotiations


On the other hand they might undercut you because they already know how much you want to attend.

True, but our desire to attend was always partially based on the money.

MAqee9898

New
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:25 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby MAqee9898 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:04 pm

Is it true that BU law school employment rate is only 57.7%? I am having a hard time wondering why is the school ranked so high when employment rate is kind of low compared to lower ranked schools.

User avatar
tuesdayninja

Bronze
Posts: 369
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:37 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby tuesdayninja » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:09 pm

MAqee9898 wrote:Is it true that BU law school employment rate is only 57.7%? I am having a hard time wondering why is the school ranked so high when employment rate is kind of low compared to lower ranked schools.


Not sure where you got that number? LST reports 75% https://www.lstreports.com/schools/bu/



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Spectrum and 3 guests