Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Have you received your need based scholarship?

Yes!
14
44%
No :(
9
28%
I didn't apply for one
9
28%
 
Total votes: 32

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4479
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby brinicolec » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:19 pm

CR7 wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Quick Question:

BU or GW for BigGov?


GW


I'd imagine, based on GW's location, it's a better pick, because I mean... DC is THE place for government jobs.

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1225
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:22 pm

brinicolec wrote:
CR7 wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Quick Question:

BU or GW for BigGov?


GW


I'd imagine, based on GW's location, it's a better pick, because I mean... DC is THE place for government jobs.


That's absolutely true, but I'm thinking more along the lines of US Attorney's Offices, and not really Main Justice DC

User avatar
CR7

New
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:09 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby CR7 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:28 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
CR7 wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Quick Question:

BU or GW for BigGov?


GW


I'd imagine, based on GW's location, it's a better pick, because I mean... DC is THE place for government jobs.


That's absolutely true, but I'm thinking more along the lines of US Attorney Office, and not really Main Justice DC


Do you mean the DOJ? For federal government jobs, GW would have a significant advantage. You could get a number of opportunities to work with one of the departments during the school year as well.

BU would probably have an advantage over GW for gov. work within Mass. Hope that helps.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4479
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby brinicolec » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:39 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
CR7 wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Quick Question:

BU or GW for BigGov?


GW


I'd imagine, based on GW's location, it's a better pick, because I mean... DC is THE place for government jobs.


That's absolutely true, but I'm thinking more along the lines of US Attorney's Offices, and not really Main Justice DC


When you say US Attorney's Office what exactly do you mean? What is your career goal? When it comes to government jobs such as DOJ or something like that (unless you don't want to be in DC), I think GW would also be better just based on the fact that you're more likely to be able to network with people that have the kinds of connections you need. And government connections are really awesome to have. If I wanted to be a government employee, I'd have some awesome people that could potentially be my references that I know because my dad is a general in the military and he knows a lot of important people in the government, such as DNI Clapper. Luckily, the government isn't a "It's who you know" business, but it's nice to have some solid references for highly-coveted jobs + people that know things that you don't that may be able to help you out in the long run.

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1225
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:49 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
CR7 wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Quick Question:

BU or GW for BigGov?


GW


I'd imagine, based on GW's location, it's a better pick, because I mean... DC is THE place for government jobs.


That's absolutely true, but I'm thinking more along the lines of US Attorney's Offices, and not really Main Justice DC


When you say US Attorney's Office what exactly do you mean? What is your career goal? When it comes to government jobs such as DOJ or something like that (unless you don't want to be in DC), I think GW would also be better just based on the fact that you're more likely to be able to network with people that have the kinds of connections you need. And government connections are really awesome to have. If I wanted to be a government employee, I'd have some awesome people that could potentially be my references that I know because my dad is a general in the military and he knows a lot of important people in the government, such as DNI Clapper. Luckily, the government isn't a "It's who you know" business, but it's nice to have some solid references for highly-coveted jobs + people that know things that you don't that may be able to help you out in the long run.


Ah sorry, I should've been more clear and shouldn't have used DOJ lingo haha Thanks for the input though! I appreciate it

I would like to work as a AUSA at a US Attorney's Office (preferably Southern District of New York) but wouldn't mind working at US Attorneys Offices in Mass or DC. I differentiate US Attorney's Office from the main DOJ (located in DC) because I feel like ties to DC won't really matter in for the former, whereas DOJ internships and connections would matter if I wanted to work in Main DOJ (so GW is probably better).

I have ties to DC (worked at main DOJ for 2 years) and now I work at the US Attorney's Office where I want to eventually end up, so I'm just wondering if GW or BU would be better if I wanted to work as an AUSA (doesn't have to be DC).

Sorry again for the confusion!

lawnerd87

New
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:48 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lawnerd87 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:07 pm

.
Last edited by lawnerd87 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RParadela

Silver
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:04 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby RParadela » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:54 pm

lawnerd87 wrote:I've been complete since early November and haven't heard anything yet. Trying not to worry. LSAT>>75, GPA>25.


I'm in the same position although I just went complete a couple of days ago. I think we'll same some big waves coming this month

em15

Bronze
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:39 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby em15 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:27 pm

Checking in. Just submitted my app with my Dec score. Good luck to all of you!

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:50 pm

Just got the acceptance packet in the mail! Personal note was a really nice touch.

Separate letter in the packet said my application for Public Interest Scholarship will be reviewed in the beginning of February.

User avatar
cyclawps

Bronze
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:17 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby cyclawps » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:27 pm

mm2368 wrote:Just got the acceptance packet in the mail! Personal note was a really nice touch.

Separate letter in the packet said my application for Public Interest Scholarship will be reviewed in the beginning of February.

Same. It's been a long wait. It was good to hear from BU. Good luck on securing a PI Scholly!

User avatar
waldorf

Gold
Posts: 2376
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby waldorf » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:17 pm

Sitting at complete since mid-November. I really want to hear back already, lol.

User avatar
chichi1992

Bronze
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chichi1992 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:53 pm

Checking in! My app went complete on Jan 5. BU is currently my top choice. LSAT > 75%; GPA right above 50%. Already getting anxious waiting...

User avatar
TudoBem

Bronze
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby TudoBem » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:26 pm

sjs12 wrote:Sitting at complete since mid-November. I really want to hear back already, lol.


same!

User avatar
azaleafire

Bronze
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby azaleafire » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:02 pm

.
Last edited by azaleafire on Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lawof11

New
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:31 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lawof11 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:52 pm

6,998,400 seconds
116,640 minutes
1944 hours
81 days
11 weeks and 4 days
22.19% of a common year (365 days).......since I submitted by application. Normally I'm cool. But my impatience and restlessness is mounting.

I also didn't calculate those myself. I used a website. I probably should have calculated them myself....

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ashrice13 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:40 pm

lawof11 wrote:6,998,400 seconds
116,640 minutes
1944 hours
81 days
11 weeks and 4 days
22.19% of a common year (365 days).......since I submitted by application. Normally I'm cool. But my impatience and restlessness is mounting.

I also didn't calculate those myself. I used a website. I probably should have calculated them myself....

I mean....nothing's stopping you from recalculating them yourself

User avatar
BACsop

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 3:44 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby BACsop » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:25 pm

For those who are committed / leaning BU, what are your thoughts on neighborhoods to live in? I spent a year and a half in Central MA and have been to Boston a number of times but never lived there.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to bike/walk in under 30 minutes to campus. Thinking about Allston or Brookline - would it be worth looking across the river in Cambridge as well?

User avatar
Dodocogon

Silver
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:45 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Dodocogon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:14 am

BACsop wrote:For those who are committed / leaning BU, what are your thoughts on neighborhoods to live in? I spent a year and a half in Central MA and have been to Boston a number of times but never lived there.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to bike/walk in under 30 minutes to campus. Thinking about Allston or Brookline - would it be worth looking across the river in Cambridge as well?


I'm looking in Allston and I think that's where the majority will be.

I'd also like to know thoughts on across the river - I'm looking in Cambridge as my (if attending) roommate will be working at the Microsoft office in Cambridge so it'd be a happy medium. I know his roommates when he interned last summer were BU Law students.

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:17 am

I'm eagerly anticipating the PILS offers... I hadn't given BU a sincere thought until I realized it could happen that I land a precious scholarship.

theboringest

Bronze
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:19 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby theboringest » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:19 am

Boston local here, both Cambridge and Somerville are doable by public transit (largely bus) but will be a 30-45 minute trip each way. In the winter that'll suck but then again winter here sucks in general, so...yeah. Rent is gonna be roughly equal in Somerville/Allston (you'll need roommates). FYI for out of staters to be ready for big up front costs- most apartments around here requires first, last, security deposit, and one month broker fee- usually you can negotiate it down to 3 of the 4 but it's still a big up front hit.

ekg212

New
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ekg212 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:16 pm

Boston local here as well (going on 3 years) - Because Allston/Brighton are close to BU/NEU, etc. they are very college-y areas such that unless you're cool with still being surrounded by UGs and fratty bars and parties, you will hate it. As a 26yo applicant, who does not live in that area for that reason, I have no plans to move there regardless of the "savings" in rent or time (and no, I don't make bank or have a trust fund or something). It's great for new restaurants, concert venues, and Raising Cane's but that's about it, IMO.

There are certainly other just-as-convenient options in the city. I would recommend looking at Southie or near BU med in south end, they have a shuttle that goes to the law school in like 10-20 mins. It's not walking to class every day, but it's worth the peace and quiet IMO. Plus rent is about the same. Personally, I live in Southie, and I have no plans to move. Cambridgeport is another good alternative, with a MTBA bus that goes there rather quickly, or you could walk the mile or so. A good thing to keep in mind is that Boston is smaller than you think it is. I was shocked when I moved from DC how much easier it is to get places, even by walking. People often tell stories of walking home after the T closes at night or in bad snow storms, because it's doable, whereas it would take me ~6 hours to walk home from work when I lived in the DMV.

It is true that you will need first, last, security, broker's fee, references, credit check, sometimes an app fee or a key deposit as well. Basically plan to have 4000-6000 on hand. There are some bigger buildings managed by Gables, Equity, etc. where your up front costs are less, but the rents are astronomical comparatively. The private market, despite the broker's fee, is still the best deal.

Best of luck!

jprath2

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:53 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jprath2 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:37 pm

In via phone call just now, applied 11/28!

User avatar
armc808

Bronze
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:41 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby armc808 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:46 pm

Just got the call from the Dean of Admissions! Completed 11/30.

mcssports1

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:14 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mcssports1 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:54 pm

Just got the acceptance call. Applied 11/14, complete on 11/16

act0491

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:16 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby act0491 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:10 pm

Also just got the admissions call! Submitted 11/14



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 8 guests