Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Have you received your need based scholarship?

Yes!
14
44%
No :(
9
28%
I didn't apply for one
9
28%
 
Total votes: 32

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:49 pm

---
Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

l3g@l33s3

New
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:44 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby l3g@l33s3 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:10 pm

BU emailed me today and said they wanted to wait for my fall grades to come out. Full disclosure I have only been in college for 2 years so it makes since, but anyone seen this before?

User avatar
Dodocogon

Silver
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:45 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Dodocogon » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:21 pm

After getting back a couple of decisions, I'm beginning to think that full tuition is a decent premium to pay for people with good stats to 100% matriculate from the ED process - who knows how it'll end up though.

User avatar
amberb94

Bronze
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby amberb94 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:40 pm

I'm kinda late here...but I never got a fee waiver from BU and I'd love to apply. Did anyone get an unsolicited or hidden? Should I try to solicit?

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ashrice13 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:50 pm

amberb94 wrote:I'm kinda late here...but I never got a fee waiver from BU and I'd love to apply. Did anyone get an unsolicited or hidden? Should I try to solicit?

If you solicit, they will most likely tell you that they will offer a need based waiver if you show proof of need (I copied and pasted the email response I received a couple pages back)

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ashrice13 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:54 pm

Dodocogon wrote:After getting back a couple of decisions, I'm beginning to think that full tuition is a decent premium to pay for people with good stats to 100% matriculate from the ED process - who knows how it'll end up though.

Do you mean a good decision for BU or the applicant? Either way, I agree

User avatar
amberb94

Bronze
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby amberb94 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:57 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
amberb94 wrote:I'm kinda late here...but I never got a fee waiver from BU and I'd love to apply. Did anyone get an unsolicited or hidden? Should I try to solicit?

If you solicit, they will most likely tell you that they will offer a need based waiver if you show proof of need (I copied and pasted the email response I received a couple pages back)

Okay, thanks!

User avatar
Dodocogon

Silver
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:45 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Dodocogon » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:33 pm

Guys, I pay $400/month for a room in a 3000 sq. ft. house right now (With 4 roommates, but it's a ton of space)... I don't know if I'll be ready for the COL increase that's coming when I (hopefully) end up here.

User avatar
Dodocogon

Silver
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:45 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Dodocogon » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:37 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:After getting back a couple of decisions, I'm beginning to think that full tuition is a decent premium to pay for people with good stats to 100% matriculate from the ED process - who knows how it'll end up though.

Do you mean a good decision for BU or the applicant? Either way, I agree


Yeah, win for both. School gets good students, students get a good deal.

User avatar
cyclawps

Bronze
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:17 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby cyclawps » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:38 pm

Dodocogon wrote:Guys, I pay $400/month for a room in a 3000 sq. ft. house right now (With 4 roommates, but it's a ton of space)... I don't know if I'll be ready for the COL increase that's coming when I (hopefully) end up here.


In a cheap neighborhood of Boston now paying $500-$600 to share a room in an old house with 5 people. Boston COL will be a rude awaking.

User avatar
Dodocogon

Silver
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:45 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Dodocogon » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:45 pm

cyclawps wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:Guys, I pay $400/month for a room in a 3000 sq. ft. house right now (With 4 roommates, but it's a ton of space)... I don't know if I'll be ready for the COL increase that's coming when I (hopefully) end up here.


In a cheap neighborhood of Boston now paying $500-$600 to share a room in an old house with 5 people. Boston COL will be a rude awaking.


I won't be blindsided by it, but man... not excited for it.

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ashrice13 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:52 pm

Dodocogon wrote:
cyclawps wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:Guys, I pay $400/month for a room in a 3000 sq. ft. house right now (With 4 roommates, but it's a ton of space)... I don't know if I'll be ready for the COL increase that's coming when I (hopefully) end up here.


In a cheap neighborhood of Boston now paying $500-$600 to share a room in an old house with 5 people. Boston COL will be a rude awaking.


I won't be blindsided by it, but man... not excited for it.

I plan on commuting but I have an apartment with my boyfriend outside of the city already so staying with him and having help with bills is my main COL plan.

Just don't even bother looking right in Boston proper. It's waaayyy too expensive. Somerville and Allston are right there but will be better cost wise.

User avatar
Dodocogon

Silver
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:45 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Dodocogon » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:00 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:
cyclawps wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:Guys, I pay $400/month for a room in a 3000 sq. ft. house right now (With 4 roommates, but it's a ton of space)... I don't know if I'll be ready for the COL increase that's coming when I (hopefully) end up here.


In a cheap neighborhood of Boston now paying $500-$600 to share a room in an old house with 5 people. Boston COL will be a rude awaking.


I won't be blindsided by it, but man... not excited for it.

I plan on commuting but I have an apartment with my boyfriend outside of the city already so staying with him and having help with bills is my main COL plan.

Just don't even bother looking right in Boston proper. It's waaayyy too expensive. Somerville and Allston are right there but will be better cost wise.


Oh for sure, I'm thinking Allston close to the green line. We'll see what pops up though.

User avatar
BACsop

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 3:44 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby BACsop » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:58 pm

mm2368 wrote:
BACsop wrote:Quick question - I submitted my app a few weeks ago in anticipation of my LORs being uploaded by my recommenders shortly thereafter. Naturally, at that time I was notified my report was incomplete.

Unfortunately it took longer than expected and my LORs were just uploaded today to LSAC. Anyone know if BU automatically pulls the completed report once the final component is submitted to LSAC, or should I notify them that my report is now complete?

Thanks!


they auto-pull the report, could take about 1 or 2 days for this to show up on your status checker. For me, it took 3 days - but the letters went in on a Thursday. you should be complete no later than Friday!


You were right! Didn't take long at all. My app is now complete!

User avatar
amberb94

Bronze
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby amberb94 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:01 pm

I applied yesterday and my app is complete.
So, no one will hear anything until at least December?

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ashrice13 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:13 pm

amberb94 wrote:I applied yesterday and my app is complete.
So, no one will hear anything until at least December?

Looking at the last few years, there is a small chance that ED people could hear back before December but RD people won't hear until a least December...it seems to start around the 2nd week of December or so

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ashrice13 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:26 pm


User avatar
cyclawps

Bronze
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:17 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby cyclawps » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:08 pm


BU Police is great. They've always been approachable and protective.

lizzie1867

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:31 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lizzie1867 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:01 pm

dying to know when we will hear back for ED... app is still complete in the status. applied 9/1

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ashrice13 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:35 pm

lizzie1867 wrote:dying to know when we will hear back for ED... app is still complete in the status. applied 9/1

Same. Looking back at last years threads it seems like we could possibly hear back even this week...it's probably not likely but it gives me something to uselessly hope for!

Rubbishdump

Bronze
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:16 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Rubbishdump » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:31 pm

Can anyone breakdown BU v. BC for me?

lizzie1867

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:31 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lizzie1867 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:05 am

ashrice13 wrote:
lizzie1867 wrote:dying to know when we will hear back for ED... app is still complete in the status. applied 9/1

Same. Looking back at last years threads it seems like we could possibly hear back even this week...it's probably not likely but it gives me something to uselessly hope for!


now they have bu bound tho too, which is what i did...i have a feelign that will slow down the releases since more ED apps ugh

mrtux45

Bronze
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:08 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mrtux45 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:40 am

.
Last edited by mrtux45 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ashrice13 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:31 pm

mrtux45 wrote:
Rubbishdump wrote:Can anyone breakdown BU v. BC for me?


Here's my contribution to the BC vs BU debate:

Both are very similar in terms of educational value and placement potential. I've actually heard that BC has a slightly better rep within Boston itself because of the school's longstanding brand recognition. BC even has slightly better biglaw placement despite a lower ranking. Regardless, BU is ranked higher and respected as such. Maybe they do better placing people outside of Boston?

As far as environment, BC is in Newton while BU is right on Comm ave. It's important that prospective students understand that distinction. BC Law's campus is also separate from the main campus which can take many by surprise. Regardless, Newton is one of the nicest towns in MA, and imho is an awesome location. But still, Comm ave has a lot going on and if you want a more "city feel". Just do some research on where you want to live when deciding between the 2 schools. If you live in like Allston/Brighton, you're basically right between them anyway.

Finally, from what I've seen on law school numbers/mylsn, BU is a bit more generous with scholarship money. Idk why that's the case, but it is what it is. From what I understand, both schools will compete aggressively with each other though, since they're drawing from very similar applicant pools.

If anyone could add to this that'd be great


Agreed with all of that. I thuink BC may place in Boston better, but only marginally. BU places in NY better, I believe.

I will say that location may be a small factor for law school but I think it is one of the main factors to consider between these two schools. They are close enough in all the normally important areas that location should come into play. Before I visited both places, I wanted to go to BU more than BC but not by too much. However, after visiting both places...I don't know how I feel about going to BC at all unless I get a lot more money from them than BU.

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ashrice13 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:44 pm

My status check message has changed. Above my info it used to say something about "if you applied via distinguished scholar program you'll hear back by 12/21..." and now it doesn't. It just says if you apply by feb you'll hear by April. For some reason I have a bad Feeling that this means they picked the distinguished scholar people and I'm not one of them.

Anyone else have this change?



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests