Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Have you received your need based scholarship?

Yes!
14
44%
No :(
9
28%
I didn't apply for one
9
28%
 
Total votes: 32

fazzvm56

Bronze
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:11 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby fazzvm56 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:18 pm

skiilover wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
48976 wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
skiilover wrote:
48976 wrote:I have a deposit deadline on April 1st.... do you think we'll hear by then? Have been complete since mid-Nov


Im worried about the same thing. Iowa's deadline is April 1. I sent a LOCI to BU but they never replied to my email.

You have till 4/10!
https://www.bu.edu/law/admissions/admitted-students/jd-first-year-students/next-steps/


I assume 4/10 is the BU deadline? In any case, I think giving us three weeks (max) to make a major life choice is pretty shitty....especially several of us applied 4 months ago.

It is and I Absolutely agree. It puts you in a position to either make a major decision really quickly or put down more than 1 seat deposit


Are you allowed to put multiple deposits?


I think the closer you are admitted to the deposit deadline, they usually give you a different deadline to deposit.

48976

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:41 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby 48976 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:22 pm

fazzvm56 wrote:
skiilover wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
48976 wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
skiilover wrote:
48976 wrote:I have a deposit deadline on April 1st.... do you think we'll hear by then? Have been complete since mid-Nov


Im worried about the same thing. Iowa's deadline is April 1. I sent a LOCI to BU but they never replied to my email.

You have till 4/10!
https://www.bu.edu/law/admissions/admitted-students/jd-first-year-students/next-steps/


I assume 4/10 is the BU deadline? In any case, I think giving us three weeks (max) to make a major life choice is pretty shitty....especially several of us applied 4 months ago.

It is and I Absolutely agree. It puts you in a position to either make a major decision really quickly or put down more than 1 seat deposit


Are you allowed to put multiple deposits?


I think the closer you are admitted to the deposit deadline, they usually give you a different deadline to deposit.


Just called them... they are aware of the 4/1 deposit deadlines and expect to make the remaining decisions over the next week. She mentioned that BU's deposit deadline is 4/10 and didn't say anything about giving an alternate date for those admitted in the next couple of days

ski17

New
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:41 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ski17 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:03 pm

BostonOrBust wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
TudoBem wrote:
BostonOrBust wrote:Just checking in.... still waiting after approx 10 weeks.... one of my last schools. :shock:

17 weeks for me here! Since 11/13!

That is wild obnoxious of them and painful to read. I will stop complaining about my 9 week wait lol.


I literally gasped reading that. :shock: :shock: :shock:


Really hoping for some movement today. This is the last school in waiting on.

User avatar
charles117

Bronze
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby charles117 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:12 pm

Is there a travel stipend for bu?

User avatar
floatie

Silver
Posts: 590
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby floatie » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:36 pm

charles117 wrote:Is there a travel stipend for bu?


Yes, they'll reimburse up to $300 if you email them in advance

kotleta

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:35 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby kotleta » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:30 pm

charles117 wrote:Is there a travel stipend for bu?


I think they run out of the stipends though. I emailed earlier this week about a stipend for next weekend (because I just got my acceptance a few days ago) and they said the last day to request was last week.

User avatar
jessmeesh

Bronze
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:14 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jessmeesh » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:38 pm

kotleta wrote:
charles117 wrote:Is there a travel stipend for bu?


I think they run out of the stipends though. I emailed earlier this week about a stipend for next weekend (because I just got my acceptance a few days ago) and they said the last day to request was last week.



Well shit. I emailed yesterday (I was accepted Monday) and I haven't heard anything back yet. If I dont get the stipend, I'm not going to be able to visit.

Sadnessandmisfortune

New
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Sadnessandmisfortune » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:21 pm

Got accepted a few hours ago. Any ideas on what the general timeline is for scholarships?

User avatar
jessmeesh

Bronze
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:14 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jessmeesh » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:25 pm

Sadnessandmisfortune wrote:Got accepted a few hours ago. Any ideas on what the general timeline is for scholarships?


Scholarship info is in your acceptance letter that comes in the mail.

Sadnessandmisfortune

New
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Sadnessandmisfortune » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:26 pm

jessmeesh wrote:
Sadnessandmisfortune wrote:Got accepted a few hours ago. Any ideas on what the general timeline is for scholarships?


Scholarship info is in your acceptance letter that comes in the mail.


Wow, that's so nice. I wish other law schools would take a page out of BU's book instead of making me wait another cycle for schollys.

User avatar
charles117

Bronze
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby charles117 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:56 pm

kotleta wrote:
charles117 wrote:Is there a travel stipend for bu?


I think they run out of the stipends though. I emailed earlier this week about a stipend for next weekend (because I just got my acceptance a few days ago) and they said the last day to request was last week.

what about those of us who got in this week?

kotleta

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:35 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby kotleta » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:24 pm

charles117 wrote:
kotleta wrote:
charles117 wrote:Is there a travel stipend for bu?


I think they run out of the stipends though. I emailed earlier this week about a stipend for next weekend (because I just got my acceptance a few days ago) and they said the last day to request was last week.

what about those of us who got in this week?


Not sure, I got my letter on Friday and emailed them Monday and they said it was too late for the Preview Day on the 24th. Maybe it's different for the 31st, but you can email them and ask!

User avatar
Shakawkaw

Gold
Posts: 4807
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Shakawkaw » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:32 pm

Lol BU is playing games rn. Got hit with that WL. Not sure if I wanna ride it out because I wanted to be considered for the PILS but seems pointless now.

User avatar
Metapod

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:50 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Metapod » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:22 pm

Does anyone know if Boston gives money to people accepted off the wait list?

User avatar
whodareswins

Bronze
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:47 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby whodareswins » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:02 pm

Has anybody had luck renegotiating scholarships? It's getting down to the wire and I haven't received anything beyond the generic "we will add this to your file" email.

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ashrice13 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:35 pm

whodareswins wrote:Has anybody had luck renegotiating scholarships? It's getting down to the wire and I haven't received anything beyond the generic "we will add this to your file" email.

That's the only response anyone has gotten and will probably remain the only response at least until after they give out need based aid. The logic being that if they end up giving someone a lot or a little need based aid, they're less or more likely to adjust that persons merit based aid as a result.

Ashleighjarm

New
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Ashleighjarm » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:31 pm

whodareswins wrote:Has anybody had luck renegotiating scholarships? It's getting down to the wire and I haven't received anything beyond the generic "we will add this to your file" email.

+1 They said they couldn't give me a more accurate time line but said they'd let me know before their seat deposit deadline of April 10th.

User avatar
whodareswins

Bronze
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:47 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby whodareswins » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:26 pm

Ashleighjarm wrote:
whodareswins wrote:Has anybody had luck renegotiating scholarships? It's getting down to the wire and I haven't received anything beyond the generic "we will add this to your file" email.

+1 They said they couldn't give me a more accurate time line but said they'd let me know before their seat deposit deadline of April 10th.


Thank you both. I know I need to be patient but mid April is going to sneak up so quickly...

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ashrice13 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:26 pm

whodareswins wrote:
Ashleighjarm wrote:
whodareswins wrote:Has anybody had luck renegotiating scholarships? It's getting down to the wire and I haven't received anything beyond the generic "we will add this to your file" email.

+1 They said they couldn't give me a more accurate time line but said they'd let me know before their seat deposit deadline of April 10th.


Thank you both. I know I need to be patient but mid April is going to sneak up so quickly...

Understandable! We're all stressing right now.

monotonemr

New
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:31 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby monotonemr » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:05 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
whodareswins wrote:Has anybody had luck renegotiating scholarships? It's getting down to the wire and I haven't received anything beyond the generic "we will add this to your file" email.

That's the only response anyone has gotten and will probably remain the only response at least until after they give out need based aid. The logic being that if they end up giving someone a lot or a little need based aid, they're less or more likely to adjust that persons merit based aid as a result.


Spoke with a financial aid officer when I visited BU on Friday and they said that they will review it alongside with the need-based application and base any changes off of the need-based scholarship. So you're correct.

Nadia

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:33 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Nadia » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:05 am

Has anyone else had trouble accessing the Admitted Student Portal? I am trying to RSVP for a preview day, but the password that was provided in my acceptance materials only gives me access to the initial page. As soon as I try to RSVP, I am prompted to input the password again, and then it no longer works :?

User avatar
floatie

Silver
Posts: 590
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby floatie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:08 am

Nadia wrote:Has anyone else had trouble accessing the Admitted Student Portal? I am trying to RSVP for a preview day, but the password that was provided in my acceptance materials only gives me access to the initial page. As soon as I try to RSVP, I am prompted to input the password again, and then it no longer works :?


Maybe try a different browser? Or if that doesn't work, just email admissions and tell them you'd like to come
Last edited by floatie on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1224
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:10 am

Wait...BU doesn't give out travel stipends? I'm from the Northeast so they said I dont meet the distance requirement to receive a stipend for airfare but how about for hotels?

When I asked about both, the email response was like "can't give airfare stipend, thanks for asking though!"

User avatar
floatie

Silver
Posts: 590
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby floatie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:12 am

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Wait...BU doesn't give out travel stipends? I'm from the Northeast so they said I dont meet the distance requirement to receive a stipend for airfare but how about for hotels?

When I asked about both, the email response was like "can't give airfare stipend, thanks for asking though!"


That sucks, although at this point I think they're out of stipends, anyways :(

Nadia

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:33 am

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Nadia » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:18 am

floatie wrote:Maybe try a different browser? Or if that doesn't work, just email admissions and tell them you'd like to come


Firefox did the trick! Thank you! Strange though - I tried going incognito on Chrome before, and that still was not working



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LawSchoolerN, SirAlexFerguson and 12 guests