Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

If accepted, how likely are you to attend?

Are you kidding? It's my first choice. Consider my seat deposit sent.
46
15%
It's high on my list but it's not THE school I'm waiting to hear back from.
81
27%
It's high on my list, but I can probably be swayed by more money from another school.
76
25%
Meh... I applied because it's a T14 - we'll see how my cycle goes.
61
20%
Really just plan on using it for scholarship negotiation purposes.
24
8%
Still feel really unsure. I'll probably visit or go to ASW to get a better feel for the school/location.
17
6%
 
Total votes: 305

User avatar
ChervonaKatya

Bronze
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:33 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby ChervonaKatya » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:42 pm

airwrecka wrote:
Thank you so much for this detailed reply! You have certainly sold me a little more on the idea of Michigan :D Where did you live prior to moving to Ann Arbor? Was it a larger city or a smaller one? Did you ever consider going to school in a bigger city (NYC, Boston, Chicago)? I currently live in Minneapolis and did my UG here. It's my impression that of all the schools I'm looking at, Michigan would be the most similar to what I'm used to in terms of lifestyle/what the city is like, but please correct me if I'm wrong :)


No worries! I did UG in NYC, lived in Kyiv for a year, then lived in NYC for another four years working. I grew up in the rural Midwest, so the whole college town concept was new to me. I did seriously consider attending school in a bigger city because I love big cities. During the summer, I was on a couple wait lists for schools in larger cities and probably would have gone had I gotten in, but after a semester here, I think Ann Arbor was the best fit for me. 1L is so busy that you don't have much time (or much money) to really enjoy a big city like NYC, Chicago, etc. and you want to find a community, which can be hard to find quickly in a large city that you don't have connections to. The structure of the law school fosters community in an interesting way (housing next to the school, dining hall, etc.) so you get to know people really well. Because of the huge university community, there are a lot of affordable and easily accessible things to do in the evenings and on the weekends. On the downside, dating is a little weird because there aren't that many people who aren't affiliated with the university in some way in Ann Arbor, but, again, the university is huge.

I've never been to Minneapolis, so I can't really give a fair comparison. I know some people from there who like it here, but Ann Arbor is more of a college town than Minneapolis from what I know. If you do want to spend a day in a bigger city/something closer to Minneapolis size, Detroit is easy to get to, has a ton to do, and the university runs a shuttle there on Saturdays. I don't own a car (thanks to all those years in NYC), but I imagine it's easier to have and keep a car here than in a large city in terms of finding parking and whatnot.

Hope that helps! :D

User avatar
airwrecka

Silver
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby airwrecka » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:45 pm

ChervonaKatya wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
Thank you so much for this detailed reply! You have certainly sold me a little more on the idea of Michigan :D Where did you live prior to moving to Ann Arbor? Was it a larger city or a smaller one? Did you ever consider going to school in a bigger city (NYC, Boston, Chicago)? I currently live in Minneapolis and did my UG here. It's my impression that of all the schools I'm looking at, Michigan would be the most similar to what I'm used to in terms of lifestyle/what the city is like, but please correct me if I'm wrong :)


No worries! I did UG in NYC, lived in Kyiv for a year, then lived in NYC for another four years working. I grew up in the rural Midwest, so the whole college town concept was new to me. I did seriously consider attending school in a bigger city because I love big cities. During the summer, I was on a couple wait lists for schools in larger cities and probably would have gone had I gotten in, but after a semester here, I think Ann Arbor was the best fit for me. 1L is so busy that you don't have much time (or much money) to really enjoy a big city like NYC, Chicago, etc. and you want to find a community, which can be hard to find quickly in a large city that you don't have connections to. The structure of the law school fosters community in an interesting way (housing next to the school, dining hall, etc.) so you get to know people really well. Because of the huge university community, there are a lot of affordable and easily accessible things to do in the evenings and on the weekends. On the downside, dating is a little weird because there aren't that many people who aren't affiliated with the university in some way in Ann Arbor, but, again, the university is huge.

I've never been to Minneapolis, so I can't really give a fair comparison. I know some people from there who like it here, but Ann Arbor is more of a college town than Minneapolis from what I know. If you do want to spend a day in a bigger city/something closer to Minneapolis size, Detroit is easy to get to, has a ton to do, and the university runs a shuttle there on Saturdays. I don't own a car (thanks to all those years in NYC), but I imagine it's easier to have and keep a car here than in a large city in terms of finding parking and whatnot.

Hope that helps! :D


Yes it does, thanks! I'm also from the rural Midwest (Wisconsin to be specific), but I am very familiar with the idea of a college town (Madison, WI is the DEFINITION of college town haha). You make a fair point about not having time, necessarily, to explore a city during 1L! Luckily the dating scene isn't as much of an issue for me since I'm already married ;)

User avatar
S.Picquery

Silver
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:39 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby S.Picquery » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:20 pm

For those planning on attending Mich's ASW, are you thinking March 23-25, or April 6-8? Do you have a reason for your choice? Neither are on Passover, I was gonna let that help me decide but *shrug* now I have to actually make up my mind myself :P

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3430
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby guynourmin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:27 pm

S.Picquery wrote:For those planning on attending Mich's ASW, are you thinking March 23-25, or April 6-8? Do you have a reason for your choice? Neither are on Passover, I was gonna let that help me decide but *shrug* now I have to actually make up my mind myself :P


I'm going to the first one for 2 reasons: I want to go asap and there are no other ASWs that weekend I want to go to (whereas Penn and Vandy are both during the second weekend, and theoretically those could both be options for me)

User avatar
S.Picquery

Silver
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:39 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby S.Picquery » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:32 pm

guybourdin wrote:I'm going to the first one for 2 reasons: I want to go asap and there are no other ASWs that weekend I want to go to (whereas Penn and Vandy are both during the second weekend, and theoretically those could both be options for me)


Right... Penn. Good point.

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3430
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby guynourmin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:34 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
guybourdin wrote:I'm going to the first one for 2 reasons: I want to go asap and there are no other ASWs that weekend I want to go to (whereas Penn and Vandy are both during the second weekend, and theoretically those could both be options for me)


Right... Penn. Good point.


I mean, I feel pretty strongly that I won't get into Penn, but if I did, I'd go visit.

User avatar
S.Picquery

Silver
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:39 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby S.Picquery » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:35 pm

guybourdin wrote:I mean, I feel pretty strongly that I won't get into Penn, but if I did, I'd go visit.


I believe in you!
-Stranger from the Internet

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3430
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby guynourmin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:37 pm

S.Picquery wrote:I believe in you!
-Stranger from the Internet


Appreciate it. If I only get into one t14, though, I'm really happy it was Michigan. Stress over my cycle has plummeted this week!

User avatar
amberb94

Bronze
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby amberb94 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:50 pm

guybourdin wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:I believe in you!
-Stranger from the Internet


Appreciate it. If I only get into one t14, though, I'm really happy it was Michigan. Stress over my cycle has plummeted this week!


This is how I feel about Mich. I wasn't even upset when Cornell dinged me bc I have my darling Michigan.

User avatar
S.Picquery

Silver
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:39 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby S.Picquery » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:53 pm

amberb94 wrote:This is how I feel about Mich. I wasn't even upset when Cornell dinged me bc I have my darling Michigan.


There's something about it, right? Still waiting on FinAid and other acceptances to be sure, but I'm really quite taken. (Yes, I realize I sound like a girl courting suitors, but I never had a debutante ball, so this is the closest I'll get.)

User avatar
amberb94

Bronze
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby amberb94 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:57 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
amberb94 wrote:This is how I feel about Mich. I wasn't even upset when Cornell dinged me bc I have my darling Michigan.


There's something about it, right? Still waiting on FinAid and other acceptances to be sure, but I'm really quite taken. (Yes, I realize I sound like a girl courting suitors, but I never had a debutante ball, so this is the closest I'll get.)


Yeah, for some reason I feel attached to it. I'm waiting on financial aid info as well, and I definitely cannot afford to pay full price for law school, so I'm hoping for some money.

I hope everything works out for you too so maybe I'll see you in the fall! :mrgreen:

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby chargers21 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:00 pm

.
Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
NotAGolfer

Silver
Posts: 596
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:50 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby NotAGolfer » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:06 pm

guybourdin wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
guybourdin wrote:I'm going to the first one for 2 reasons: I want to go asap and there are no other ASWs that weekend I want to go to (whereas Penn and Vandy are both during the second weekend, and theoretically those could both be options for me)


Right... Penn. Good point.


I mean, I feel pretty strongly that I won't get into Penn, but if I did, I'd go visit.

Penn's ASW is 3/31-4/1. They do have a preview day on 4/8 though

dmc1275

New
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:44 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby dmc1275 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:34 pm

Just got an "offer follow up" email and freaked out that it might be the scholarship info. Still nothing here though :/.

bellaboo

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 9:16 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby bellaboo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:44 pm

Have any Darrow invitees gone through the interview yet?

User avatar
amberb94

Bronze
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby amberb94 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:47 pm

dmc1275 wrote:Just got an "offer follow up" email and freaked out that it might be the scholarship info. Still nothing here though :/.


Same here. At least we know we should hear by the end of the month.

longpig

Bronze
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:59 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby longpig » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:08 pm

prob been asked, but anyone know if they offer travel stipends for ASW?

User avatar
asuddenarborealstop

New
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:07 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby asuddenarborealstop » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:20 pm

bellaboo wrote:Have any Darrow invitees gone through the interview yet?


This morning. Very casual. Think it went well, but we'll see in two weeks.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:26 pm

Anyone know if they give any travel stipends for ASW? I plan on going to the March one. Really need to check out Ann Arbor. Am worried I might hate the area.

Cbear2017

New
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:05 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby Cbear2017 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:43 pm

Received an email on 12/20 saying my status checker should be coming but I still haven't gotten it--is this an unusually long delay?

User avatar
nerdylsat

Bronze
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:39 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby nerdylsat » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:39 pm

Applied mid-november, in today via email.

Anyone know when scholarship info comes out usually?

User avatar
Baby Gaga

Bronze
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby Baby Gaga » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:47 pm

nerdylsat wrote:Applied mid-november, in today via email.

Anyone know when scholarship info comes out usually?


from the follow up email they sent me:

we begin making the bulk of our decisions in January, and by the end of January, will be on track to let awardees know within two weeks of their offer

joeytribbiani

Bronze
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:32 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby joeytribbiani » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:38 pm

brinicolec wrote:Anyone know if they give any travel stipends for ASW? I plan on going to the March one. Really need to check out Ann Arbor. Am worried I might hate the area.


No answer to your question, but I worried about the same thing. I drove up yesterday to visit for the day yesterday and actually liked the town/area a lot more than I expected to. It's definitely largely centered around the university, but nonetheless seemed like a pretty great area with enough to do for the limited time available to law students. You'll still need to see it for yourself of course, but just from the perspective of someone else with the same worry thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

pipipipi

Bronze
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:23 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby pipipipi » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:27 am

Does scholarship info come later than admit letter? I can't believe this is happening!
Please tell me if I have any chance of money and if I need to withdraw my Penn ED...........

pipipipi

Bronze
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:23 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby pipipipi » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:29 am

This is the cutest offer I ever received, and I bet no school can beat this one:

Congratulations! You're in! Because we're wowed by big fancy packages and personalized notes, we are sending you a large envelope with a formal acceptance letter and lots of information about Michigan Law. But because we are wowed by YOU, we didn't want to make you wait to find out.

Guess what I did yesterday? I signed a little letter to you, offering you admission to the University of Michigan Law School for Summer 2017. I have searched, and it turns out there is no emoticon that is appropriate for following up on that sentence. (And upon reflection—really, do I want an emoticon, or is an emoji more appropriate for a formal occasion?)

In fact, I am always torn between two emotions when I’m thinking about making offers: One is the sheer momentousness of it all, and the other is the sheer excitement. To honor the momentousness, the letter is a pretty formal affair in a fancy package. (By the way, we mailed it to the address above. If that’s not right, please let us know ASAP.) But to honor the excitement, I’m sending you this email, because email happens RIGHT AWAY!



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests