Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

If accepted, how likely are you to attend?

Are you kidding? It's my first choice. Consider my seat deposit sent.
15%
It's high on my list but it's not THE school I'm waiting to hear back from.
27%
It's high on my list, but I can probably be swayed by more money from another school.
25%
Meh... I applied because it's a T14 - we'll see how my cycle goes.
20%
Really just plan on using it for scholarship negotiation purposes.
8%
Still feel really unsure. I'll probably visit or go to ASW to get a better feel for the school/location.
6%

Total votes: 305

ChervonaKatya

Bronze

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby ChervonaKatya » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:46 pm

Hi everyone! Congrats to those admitted already and good luck to those waiting! I'm a current 1L at Michigan -- let me know if you have any questions! :D

joeytribbiani

Bronze

Postby joeytribbiani » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:57 pm

Drove up to visit informally today and wow, the school really does look like Hogwarts...

arthrod

New

Postby arthrod » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:07 pm

ChervonaKatya wrote:Hi everyone! Congrats to those admitted already and good luck to those waiting! I'm a current 1L at Michigan -- let me know if you have any questions! :D

Hi! Can you talk about the job prospects?

ChervonaKatya

Bronze

Postby ChervonaKatya » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:17 pm

arthrod wrote:
Hi! Can you talk about the job prospects?

Sure thing! Keep in mind, I'm a 1L, so I'm applying for summer internships right now and haven't applied for actual jobs yet. I can speak from 2L/3L/graduated friends' experiences, though, and how job prospects influenced me picking Michigan. What would you like to know? You can also message me, if you prefer!

S.Picquery

Silver

Postby S.Picquery » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:17 pm

ChervonaKatya wrote:Hi everyone! Congrats to those admitted already and good luck to those waiting! I'm a current 1L at Michigan -- let me know if you have any questions! :D

Why did you decide on Mich? Did they give you a lot of money? Was it the best school you got into? Or maybe comparable and you were wooed by the resemblance to a certain school of magic and magic? Do they have a specific program that motivated your enrollment? I'm sure I'll have more soon...

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:39 pm

S.Picquery wrote:

Why did you decide on Mich? Did they give you a lot of money? Was it the best school you got into? Or maybe comparable and you were wooed by the resemblance to a certain school of magic and magic? Do they have a specific program that motivated your enrollment? I'm sure I'll have more soon...

+1 to these questions :D

ChervonaKatya

Bronze

Postby ChervonaKatya » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:55 pm

S.Picquery wrote:

Full disclosure: I had not seen or read any Harry Potter until after I applied to law school and still haven't seen the movies, so my thoughts on Hogwarts resemblances are worthless. I've been calling it the Law Castle, so I imagine Law Hogwarts (Lawgworts?) is appropriate too!

After going to various ASWs and considering cost to attend, I was deciding between Michigan and UVA (which I think are tied in US News?) and it was a really tough choice. I did not get money from Michigan, but many of my friends did (my GPA was a dumpster fire, so I wasn't expecting any). What made me love Michigan first was the people. The faculty are kind, brilliant, and love to teach. The students, despite being in a frigid state deprived of sunlight, were the most happy I met and genuinely seemed to love the school and their law school community. The alumni were the most committed and interested in seeing students of their alma mater succeed. The administration goes above and beyond to give students all the resources they need and is extremely supportive for whatever challenging circumstances a student might be facing.

Beyond the people, I also wanted to have an opportunity to take classes at other graduate schools and potentially get a dual-degree. Michigan is extremely well suited for that for all schools -- the graduate community interacts pretty often and I have met quite a few dual degree students (beyond the typical JD-MBA). I am also very interested in international law, specifically related to Eastern Europe, and Michigan was the best choice for me there. I want to work in NYC (or eventually abroad) and Michigan seemed to have the best network there for a non-NYC school.

Of course the campus did play a factor and it is extremely beautiful, but it was more that it seemed to make life easier for someone coming from a major city. Ann Arbor is very walkable and students can ride public transportation for free. The Lawyers Club is law school specific campus housing, and it was a really good deal for someone selling all their furniture and uprooting (and also meant that I was less than 500ft from my classes). Everything you might need is pretty close to the law school and, while it is not as exciting as somewhere like NYC, has a lot of fun things going on for people in their 20s.

Ultimately, Michigan just felt like the best fit for me. For a slightly more objective perspective, in my moment of panic before submitting my deposit to Michigan or UVA, I polled around a dozen non-Michigan lawyer friends (I'm 5 years out of UG, so I have quite a few) and all of them told me that Michigan was the right place for me.

Wherever you're deciding between, please visit if at all possible. I love it here and it was the right choice for me, but it's entirely possible you wouldn't be as happy here. Also, when considering scholarships and whatnot, consider full cost of attendance! The cost of living in places like Ann Arbor, Charlottesville, Durham, etc. are much cheaper than NYC, Chicago, LA, SF and similar sized scholarships have different mileage.

Let me know if you have any specific questions!

S.Picquery

Silver

Postby S.Picquery » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:13 pm

ChervonaKatya wrote:Full disclosure: I had not seen or read any Harry Potter until after I applied to law school and still haven't seen the movies

Welp, there goes us bonding over my badass username/icon. :P

ChervonaKatya wrote:After going to various ASWs and considering cost to attend, I was deciding between Michigan and UVA... What made me love Michigan first was the people. The faculty are kind, brilliant, and love to teach.

This is super helpful, as I'm pretty sure I will be in a very similar boat. I will make every effort to make it up to A2 at some point before putting in deposits anywhere. On the topic of faculty, have you ever taken a class with Catherine MacKinnon/know anyone who did? Is this something that's particularly difficult to accomplish? Any specific professors we should be especially aware of/look to take classes with?

ChervonaKatya wrote: The Lawyers Club is law school specific campus housing, and it was a really good deal for someone selling all their furniture and uprooting (and also meant that I was less than 500ft from my classes).

Is this an option over the summer for summer starters? What were your thoughts on the required meal plan? Also, (slightly off topic) is there the opportunity to participate in club sports as a law student? One of the best ways to calm nerves between studying for me has always been sports, so I would love to know a little more about that and/or the fitness facilities available in general.

ChervonaKatya wrote: The cost of living in places like Ann Arbor, Charlottesville, Durham, etc. are much cheaper than NYC, Chicago, LA, SF and similar sized scholarships have different mileage.

Oh, I'm ready. Cannot stand the oppressive COL that is NYC. It's not worth it to live here if you can't afford to enjoy any part of it. Although, you become very aware of what's free/nearly free and still worth it here... so there's that?

Thanks again!

theboringest

Bronze

Postby theboringest » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:12 pm

Got my app tracker email today so I'm really excited to refresh that ten times a day :D

Torres1893

Bronze

Postby Torres1893 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:30 pm

theboringest wrote:Got my app tracker email today so I'm really excited to refresh that ten times a day :D

When did you apply?

I'm still waiting on mine.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:34 pm

theboringest wrote:Got my app tracker email today so I'm really excited to refresh that ten times a day :D

They only update once a day, early in the morning. Maybe save you some stress!

theboringest

Bronze

Postby theboringest » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:35 pm

Torres1893 wrote:

When did you apply?

1/4

guybourdin wrote:

where's the fun in that?

Torres1893

Bronze

Postby Torres1893 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:39 pm

theboringest wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:

When did you apply?

1/4

guybourdin wrote:

where's the fun in that?

!!!

I applied 12/16 :lol:

:cry:

Sarastro

Bronze

Postby Sarastro » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:52 pm

theboringest wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

where's the fun in that?

Remember: Everyone makes mistakes. Even computer servers! So who is to say it doesn't wait until noon, three, four, six, ten, or eleven pm? Or all of those?

At least, that was my attitude. :cry:
Last edited by Sarastro on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChervonaKatya

Bronze

Postby ChervonaKatya » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:45 pm

S.Picquery wrote:On the topic of faculty, have you ever taken a class with Catherine MacKinnon/know anyone who did? Is this something that's particularly difficult to accomplish? Any specific professors we should be especially aware of/look to take classes with?

I have not taken a class with MacKinnon yet, though she is teaching one next semester and it seems I could have (at least six of my 1L friends got into her class as their elective, and I assume there are a lot more). It doesn't seem difficult to take a class with her in terms of getting a spot, but she doesn't teach every semester, from what I understand. At Michigan, you only get to choose one class (or two if you are a little crazy) during your 1L year in your winter semester, so I can't tell you who to avoid. I have, if not absolutely adored, appreciated all of my professors. I have mixed feelings on Pottow, but most people really like him. Based on my interactions (class and at events) with faculty so far, I would say consider taking a class with Sherman Clark, Maureen Carroll, Margaret Schlanger, Eve Primus, and Scott Hershovitz. This is a semi-up-to-date guide of MLaw professors that I think people may try to spruce up in the near future: http://www.lawprofguide.com/university-of-michigan.php

S.Picquery wrote: Is this an option over the summer for summer starters?

Lawyers Club is not available for summer starters' first semester, but they can move-in during regular move-in in late August. This isn't as bad as it sounds, though, since you can pretty easily find people who need a summer subletter and may be willing to let you sublet their furnished room for cheaper than their normal rent. Most people don't stay here during the summer, so Ann Arbor sort of becomes a subletter's market. Finding a place to stay during the summer will probably be the least of your worries. I haven't tried to find housing during the academic year, but I know it's more difficult and something you need to do well in advance.

S.Picquery wrote: What were your thoughts on the required meal plan?

I'm a vegetarian and a 27 year old who has been cooking for herself for years, so knew I would be at least a little disappointed in the food options in the dining hall. I went in with low expectations and would say it's not bad for options and is actually pretty good quality as far as dining hall food goes. If you eat meat, it seems pretty great in terms of options (steak and salmon are often available). The overall cost ends up being a little pricey compared to just buying groceries in Ann Arbor, but it's extremely convenient and served buffet style, so you can decide how much or little you want. They also have to-go boxes, so you can grab food and head somewhere to study and eat or put it in your fridge to eat later if you're not hungry when the dining hall is open. (Every room has a microwave and fridge.)

S.Picquery wrote: Also, (slightly off topic) is there the opportunity to participate in club sports as a law student? One of the best ways to calm nerves between studying for me has always been sports, so I would love to know a little more about that and/or the fitness facilities available in general.

I know there are organized law school soccer clubs that have students and professors on them, if you're looking for organized sports. I know of at least one law student on the University crew team and several who organize informal basketball games. I've never tried to set up a club or anything, so the website is quite foreign to me, but you can check it out here for what they have available: https://recsports.umich.edu/
There are at least three gyms within walking distance (one of which is in the business school, but you have to pay a fee for it) and they have lots of different classes. There's a big gym ~10min walk from the law school that just opened last semester after extensive renovations, so you're definitely set on the physical fitness facility front!

One random fact that may be of interest is that property is not a required course at Michigan. It is offered and many students take it, but starting with my class, you are no longer required to take it. Your required 1L classes are Torts, Contracts, CivPro, Criminal Law, Contracts Law, and Legal Practice/Legal Writing. In your second semester, you get to choose a class. I forget the exact wording of the other requirements for a degree, but you have to take at least one class related to international/comparative law, one upper level writing course, one professional responsibility, one regulatory law course, and six credits of experiential learning (4 of which are covered with 1L legal practice). There are a range of courses that fulfill each of those requirements, so you can pick professors and timing that suit you best. I really liked this flexibility, but maybe others wouldn't.

Atb448

New

Postby Atb448 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:21 pm

I submitted my app about a week or two ago, and I wrote two optionals neither of which were 'Why Michigan'. However, I'm thinking I want to email a 'Why Michigan' after all. I'm concerned, though, because the app instructions say to submit up to two optional essays. Anyone have any advice? Should I send one anyway?

NotAGolfer

Silver

Postby NotAGolfer » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:24 pm

Atb448 wrote:I submitted my app about a week or two ago, and I wrote two optionals neither of which were 'Why Michigan'. However, I'm thinking I want to email a 'Why Michigan' after all. I'm concerned, though, because the app instructions say to submit up to two optional essays. Anyone have any advice? Should I send one anyway?

I was admitted with 2 optional essays other than a Why Michigan

acz26

Bronze

Postby acz26 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:48 am

Does anyone know whether and how much Michigan will cover for its Preview weekend?

ChervonaKatya

Bronze

Postby ChervonaKatya » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:54 am

acz26 wrote:Does anyone know whether and how much Michigan will cover for its Preview weekend?

Last year they subsidized a nice hotel for $20/night (e.g. you paid $20 each night you stayed in a shared room). You had to pay transportation costs, though. Not sure if it's the same this year.

StopLawying

Silver

Postby StopLawying » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:58 am

Atb448 wrote:I submitted my app about a week or two ago, and I wrote two optionals neither of which were 'Why Michigan'. However, I'm thinking I want to email a 'Why Michigan' after all. I'm concerned, though, because the app instructions say to submit up to two optional essays. Anyone have any advice? Should I send one anyway?

I wouldn't send because of the 2 essay limit.

ChervonaKatya

Bronze

Postby ChervonaKatya » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:01 am

StopLawying wrote:

I wouldn't send because of the 2 essay limit.

If you find yourself on the waitlist for some reason, you can always send "Why Michigan" then, if you're feeling like there's something you want to say. I wouldn't worry about it for now.

malysh

New

Postby malysh » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:56 am

In this morning by email! 3:30 am :p

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:23 am

ChervonaKatya wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

Full disclosure: I had not seen or read any Harry Potter until after I applied to law school and still haven't seen the movies, so my thoughts on Hogwarts resemblances are worthless. I've been calling it the Law Castle, so I imagine Law Hogwarts (Lawgworts?) is appropriate too!

After going to various ASWs and considering cost to attend, I was deciding between Michigan and UVA (which I think are tied in US News?) and it was a really tough choice. I did not get money from Michigan, but many of my friends did (my GPA was a dumpster fire, so I wasn't expecting any). What made me love Michigan first was the people. The faculty are kind, brilliant, and love to teach. The students, despite being in a frigid state deprived of sunlight, were the most happy I met and genuinely seemed to love the school and their law school community. The alumni were the most committed and interested in seeing students of their alma mater succeed. The administration goes above and beyond to give students all the resources they need and is extremely supportive for whatever challenging circumstances a student might be facing.

Beyond the people, I also wanted to have an opportunity to take classes at other graduate schools and potentially get a dual-degree. Michigan is extremely well suited for that for all schools -- the graduate community interacts pretty often and I have met quite a few dual degree students (beyond the typical JD-MBA). I am also very interested in international law, specifically related to Eastern Europe, and Michigan was the best choice for me there. I want to work in NYC (or eventually abroad) and Michigan seemed to have the best network there for a non-NYC school.

Of course the campus did play a factor and it is extremely beautiful, but it was more that it seemed to make life easier for someone coming from a major city. Ann Arbor is very walkable and students can ride public transportation for free. The Lawyers Club is law school specific campus housing, and it was a really good deal for someone selling all their furniture and uprooting (and also meant that I was less than 500ft from my classes). Everything you might need is pretty close to the law school and, while it is not as exciting as somewhere like NYC, has a lot of fun things going on for people in their 20s.

Ultimately, Michigan just felt like the best fit for me. For a slightly more objective perspective, in my moment of panic before submitting my deposit to Michigan or UVA, I polled around a dozen non-Michigan lawyer friends (I'm 5 years out of UG, so I have quite a few) and all of them told me that Michigan was the right place for me.

Wherever you're deciding between, please visit if at all possible. I love it here and it was the right choice for me, but it's entirely possible you wouldn't be as happy here. Also, when considering scholarships and whatnot, consider full cost of attendance! The cost of living in places like Ann Arbor, Charlottesville, Durham, etc. are much cheaper than NYC, Chicago, LA, SF and similar sized scholarships have different mileage.

Let me know if you have any specific questions!

Thank you so much for this detailed reply! You have certainly sold me a little more on the idea of Michigan :D Where did you live prior to moving to Ann Arbor? Was it a larger city or a smaller one? Did you ever consider going to school in a bigger city (NYC, Boston, Chicago)? I currently live in Minneapolis and did my UG here. It's my impression that of all the schools I'm looking at, Michigan would be the most similar to what I'm used to in terms of lifestyle/what the city is like, but please correct me if I'm wrong :)

S.Picquery

Silver

Postby S.Picquery » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:48 am

malysh wrote:In this morning by email! 3:30 am :p

Congrats! 3:30am... Michigan really has no chill with their acceptances :P (Unless you're overseas, or something)

malysh

New

Postby malysh » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:19 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
malysh wrote:In this morning by email! 3:30 am :p

Congrats! 3:30am... Michigan really has no chill with their acceptances :P (Unless you're overseas, or something)

To be fair it was 6:30 est...but still i sincerely hope it's automated to those crazy times and no one is actually in the office at that godforsaken hour.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?