Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

If accepted, how likely are you to attend?

Are you kidding? It's my first choice. Consider my seat deposit sent.
46
15%
It's high on my list but it's not THE school I'm waiting to hear back from.
81
27%
It's high on my list, but I can probably be swayed by more money from another school.
76
25%
Meh... I applied because it's a T14 - we'll see how my cycle goes.
61
20%
Really just plan on using it for scholarship negotiation purposes.
24
8%
Still feel really unsure. I'll probably visit or go to ASW to get a better feel for the school/location.
17
6%
 
Total votes: 305

blueapple

Silver
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:56 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby blueapple » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:07 pm

guybourdin wrote:
Keilz wrote:
guybourdin wrote:People who went complete around the same time as me are starting to hear back, so I know I just need to be patient, but for a variety of personal reasons, I would now prefer to be a summer starter if at all possible. I am hesitant to contact them about it because I think it'll seem a bit too anxious on my part, so I am wondering if, if I get accepted for fall, I can request summer consideration? I would think I could, right? (fwiw, in my app I indicated a fall preference but was open to either).


Since your response on the application has now changed, I feel that if you are that strongly about your new preference, you can send them an email to update them.


It makes sense when you say it like that. I really don't want to come off as anxious or have it delay a response, though. I'm going to keep thinking about this..


You are really overthinking this. Just tell them your preference has changed. What do you mean that you're worried it'll seem too anxious?
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sorence

Bronze
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby sorence » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:16 pm

Keilz wrote:
guybourdin wrote:People who went complete around the same time as me are starting to hear back, so I know I just need to be patient, but for a variety of personal reasons, I would now prefer to be a summer starter if at all possible. I am hesitant to contact them about it because I think it'll seem a bit too anxious on my part, so I am wondering if, if I get accepted for fall, I can request summer consideration? I would think I could, right? (fwiw, in my app I indicated a fall preference but was open to either).


Since your response on the application has now changed, I feel that if you are that strongly about your new preference, you can send them an email to update them.


+1

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3434
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby guynourmin » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:34 pm

blueapple wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Keilz wrote:
guybourdin wrote:People who went complete around the same time as me are starting to hear back, so I know I just need to be patient, but for a variety of personal reasons, I would now prefer to be a summer starter if at all possible. I am hesitant to contact them about it because I think it'll seem a bit too anxious on my part, so I am wondering if, if I get accepted for fall, I can request summer consideration? I would think I could, right? (fwiw, in my app I indicated a fall preference but was open to either).


Since your response on the application has now changed, I feel that if you are that strongly about your new preference, you can send them an email to update them.


It makes sense when you say it like that. I really don't want to come off as anxious or have it delay a response, though. I'm going to keep thinking about this..


You are really overthinking this. Just tell them your preference has changed. What do you mean that you're worried it'll seem too anxious?


Alright, I did it. Michigan is my clear no 1 choice and if I could go in the summer I wouldn't hesitate.

I was(/am) worried about it coming off as a kind of, I applied 2 months ago and still haven't heard back, now I'm just looking for a reason to "bump" my application even though there's no good reason to think this will do anything to speed up the process, and may well delay my hearing back. You're right: overthinking it.

They replied almost immediately thanking me for my interest and letting me know my file would be updated.

Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2318
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby Keilz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:19 pm

guybourdin wrote:
blueapple wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Keilz wrote:
guybourdin wrote:People who went complete around the same time as me are starting to hear back, so I know I just need to be patient, but for a variety of personal reasons, I would now prefer to be a summer starter if at all possible. I am hesitant to contact them about it because I think it'll seem a bit too anxious on my part, so I am wondering if, if I get accepted for fall, I can request summer consideration? I would think I could, right? (fwiw, in my app I indicated a fall preference but was open to either).


Since your response on the application has now changed, I feel that if you are that strongly about your new preference, you can send them an email to update them.


It makes sense when you say it like that. I really don't want to come off as anxious or have it delay a response, though. I'm going to keep thinking about this..


You are really overthinking this. Just tell them your preference has changed. What do you mean that you're worried it'll seem too anxious?


Alright, I did it. Michigan is my clear no 1 choice and if I could go in the summer I wouldn't hesitate.

I was(/am) worried about it coming off as a kind of, I applied 2 months ago and still haven't heard back, now I'm just looking for a reason to "bump" my application even though there's no good reason to think this will do anything to speed up the process, and may well delay my hearing back. You're right: overthinking it.

They replied almost immediately thanking me for my interest and letting me know my file would be updated.


Perfect response from them! good luck

blueapple

Silver
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:56 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby blueapple » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:27 pm

guybourdin wrote:
blueapple wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Keilz wrote:
guybourdin wrote:People who went complete around the same time as me are starting to hear back, so I know I just need to be patient, but for a variety of personal reasons, I would now prefer to be a summer starter if at all possible. I am hesitant to contact them about it because I think it'll seem a bit too anxious on my part, so I am wondering if, if I get accepted for fall, I can request summer consideration? I would think I could, right? (fwiw, in my app I indicated a fall preference but was open to either).


Since your response on the application has now changed, I feel that if you are that strongly about your new preference, you can send them an email to update them.


It makes sense when you say it like that. I really don't want to come off as anxious or have it delay a response, though. I'm going to keep thinking about this..


You are really overthinking this. Just tell them your preference has changed. What do you mean that you're worried it'll seem too anxious?


Alright, I did it. Michigan is my clear no 1 choice and if I could go in the summer I wouldn't hesitate.

I was(/am) worried about it coming off as a kind of, I applied 2 months ago and still haven't heard back, now I'm just looking for a reason to "bump" my application even though there's no good reason to think this will do anything to speed up the process, and may well delay my hearing back. You're right: overthinking it.

They replied almost immediately thanking me for my interest and letting me know my file would be updated.


Glad to hear it! Good work!
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

addie1412

Silver
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby addie1412 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:39 pm

Michigan is gonna give me a heart attack one of these days.

I check the mail today, see a big package from admissions, think to myself wtf cause I haven't been admitted yet, open it and notice the second page has a handwritten note from the Dean (referencing my UG school), FLIP OUT and then finally flip to the first page and notice the letter was dated October 28th and was basically just giving me a fee waiver and encouraging me to apply.

SUCH A ROLLERCOASTER OF EMOTIONS

User avatar
sorence

Bronze
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby sorence » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:42 pm

addie1412 wrote:Michigan is gonna give me a heart attack one of these days.

I check the mail today, see a big package from admissions, think to myself wtf cause I haven't been admitted yet, open it and notice the second page has a handwritten note from the Dean (referencing my UG school), FLIP OUT and then finally flip to the first page and notice the letter was dated October 28th and was basically just giving me a fee waiver and encouraging me to apply.

SUCH A ROLLERCOASTER OF EMOTIONS


LOL I feel you, I got the same package about a month back. My mom happened to pick it first up though, and having little to no idea about the timeline assumed I was in and experienced a similar flip out. :roll:

We can do this! :)

csetheredge

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:14 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby csetheredge » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:53 pm

I got an email today asking to confirm my in-state tuition eligibility (military veteran). Has anyone else had experience with this, specifically with regards to a timeline after submitting the paperwork? I was waitlisted at UVA and am vehemently hoping for better results from Michigan!

Applied on 11/22, and complete on 12/21.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:57 pm

csetheredge wrote:I got an email today asking to confirm my in-state tuition eligibility (military veteran). Has anyone else had experience with this, specifically with regards to a timeline after submitting the paperwork? I was waitlisted at UVA and am vehemently hoping for better results from Michigan!

Applied on 11/22, and complete on 12/21.


I had to fill out the same application because my current residence is outside of Michigan. I was accepted today but am still waiting to receive a determination from the residency office (completed the application 12/16). I tried to dig around a little and read somewhere that a decision can take at least six weeks, but not sure if that figure is still accurate. On the bright side, I also read that somewhere like 80-90% of applications are ultimately approved, even if it takes a while and even if they end up requesting more information other than what is initially required.

User avatar
Sarastro

Bronze
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby Sarastro » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:03 pm

addie1412 wrote:Michigan is gonna give me a heart attack one of these days.

I check the mail today, see a big package from admissions, think to myself wtf cause I haven't been admitted yet, open it and notice the second page has a handwritten note from the Dean (referencing my UG school), FLIP OUT and then finally flip to the first page and notice the letter was dated October 28th and was basically just giving me a fee waiver and encouraging me to apply.

SUCH A ROLLERCOASTER OF EMOTIONS

I would not survive such an event

csetheredge

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:14 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby csetheredge » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:16 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
csetheredge wrote:I got an email today asking to confirm my in-state tuition eligibility (military veteran). Has anyone else had experience with this, specifically with regards to a timeline after submitting the paperwork? I was waitlisted at UVA and am vehemently hoping for better results from Michigan!

Applied on 11/22, and complete on 12/21.


I had to fill out the same application because my current residence is outside of Michigan. I was accepted today but am still waiting to receive a determination from the residency office (completed the application 12/16). I tried to dig around a little and read somewhere that a decision can take at least six weeks, but not sure if that figure is still accurate. On the bright side, I also read that somewhere like 80-90% of applications are ultimately approved, even if it takes a while and even if they end up requesting more information other than what is initially required.


Congrats on your acceptance! Yeah I was a little confused about how to fill out the paperwork so I had to call the office and the lady with whom I spoke didn't leave me warm and fuzzy with regards to the timeline, but I have no doubt that my residency application will be approved (thankfully it's pretty cut and dry for military folks; either you served or you didn't). I'm hoping that their writing to clarify is indicative of at least some level of interest. My numbers are relatively weak but I have strong softs and an incredible letter from a triple-alum legislator with whom I worked and am close friends with. Time will tell!

addie1412

Silver
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby addie1412 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:15 pm

In case anyone needed further assurance, the Michigan packet I received today says the following: "Entering 1L JD candidates may qualify for merit aid (whether outright, or made in competition with awards from other schools)"

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:22 pm

csetheredge wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
csetheredge wrote:I got an email today asking to confirm my in-state tuition eligibility (military veteran). Has anyone else had experience with this, specifically with regards to a timeline after submitting the paperwork? I was waitlisted at UVA and am vehemently hoping for better results from Michigan!

Applied on 11/22, and complete on 12/21.


I had to fill out the same application because my current residence is outside of Michigan. I was accepted today but am still waiting to receive a determination from the residency office (completed the application 12/16). I tried to dig around a little and read somewhere that a decision can take at least six weeks, but not sure if that figure is still accurate. On the bright side, I also read that somewhere like 80-90% of applications are ultimately approved, even if it takes a while and even if they end up requesting more information other than what is initially required.


Congrats on your acceptance! Yeah I was a little confused about how to fill out the paperwork so I had to call the office and the lady with whom I spoke didn't leave me warm and fuzzy with regards to the timeline, but I have no doubt that my residency application will be approved (thankfully it's pretty cut and dry for military folks; either you served or you didn't). I'm hoping that their writing to clarify is indicative of at least some level of interest. My numbers are relatively weak but I have strong softs and an incredible letter from a triple-alum legislator with whom I worked and am close friends with. Time will tell!


Thank you! And good luck to you! I think you're right about level of interest - I don't think they would send all that work over to the residency office if they weren't pretty interested in an applicant, so that's a good sign. :)

User avatar
S.Picquery

Silver
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:39 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby S.Picquery » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:51 pm

addie1412 wrote:In case anyone needed further assurance, the Michigan packet I received today says the following: "Entering 1L JD candidates may qualify for merit aid (whether outright, or made in competition with awards from other schools)"


Ooo. This is everything. Thank you.

User avatar
AFtoLawschool

Bronze
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby AFtoLawschool » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:15 pm

csetheredge wrote:I got an email today asking to confirm my in-state tuition eligibility (military veteran). Has anyone else had experience with this, specifically with regards to a timeline after submitting the paperwork? I was waitlisted at UVA and am vehemently hoping for better results from Michigan!

Applied on 11/22, and complete on 12/21.


Military here, had to follow their directions and send in my DD-214, that's it. Sent the form in early December, was accepted Dec 20th.

Making the different accounts was a little convoluted, but not difficult.

addie1412

Silver
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby addie1412 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:03 am

Admits: how early in the morning did you receive your admission email? Am I correct in thinking they're done for the day around 8am?

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3434
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby guynourmin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:05 am

addie1412 wrote:Admits: how early in the morning did you receive your admission email? Am I correct in thinking they're done for the day around 8am?


I got mine at 5:30a central, today. Because I got in!!!!

addie1412

Silver
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby addie1412 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:06 am

guybourdin wrote:
addie1412 wrote:Admits: how early in the morning did you receive your admission email? Am I correct in thinking they're done for the day around 8am?


I got mine at 5:30a central, today. Because I got in!!!!


Congrats!! Stats/submission date?

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3434
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby guynourmin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:11 am

addie1412 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
addie1412 wrote:Admits: how early in the morning did you receive your admission email? Am I correct in thinking they're done for the day around 8am?


I got mine at 5:30a central, today. Because I got in!!!!


Congrats!! Stats/submission date?

I think we are similar on most of our Sub days.

Completed 12/15. Subd 11/8 but had a lor come in a week later. 3.3/173/almost 5 years out with a lot of work experience/genuine why mich essay.

addie1412

Silver
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby addie1412 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:20 am

guybourdin wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
addie1412 wrote:Admits: how early in the morning did you receive your admission email? Am I correct in thinking they're done for the day around 8am?


I got mine at 5:30a central, today. Because I got in!!!!


Congrats!! Stats/submission date?

I think we are similar on most of our Sub days.

Completed 12/15. Subd 11/8 but had a lor come in a week later. 3.3/173/almost 5 years out with a lot of work experience/genuine why mich essay.


Ahh thanks! Yeah we're almost identical here. Submitted 11/19, complete 12/16. Hopefully it'll be next week :mrgreen:

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3434
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby guynourmin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:25 am

addie1412 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
addie1412 wrote:Admits: how early in the morning did you receive your admission email? Am I correct in thinking they're done for the day around 8am?


I got mine at 5:30a central, today. Because I got in!!!!


Congrats!! Stats/submission date?

I think we are similar on most of our Sub days.

Completed 12/15. Subd 11/8 but had a lor come in a week later. 3.3/173/almost 5 years out with a lot of work experience/genuine why mich essay.


Ahh thanks! Yeah we're almost identical here. Submitted 11/19, complete 12/16. Hopefully it'll be next week :mrgreen:

There are some outliers, but it does seem pretty linear in that regard. Good news on the horizon I'm sure!

csetheredge

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:14 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby csetheredge » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:54 am

AFtoLawschool wrote:
csetheredge wrote:I got an email today asking to confirm my in-state tuition eligibility (military veteran). Has anyone else had experience with this, specifically with regards to a timeline after submitting the paperwork? I was waitlisted at UVA and am vehemently hoping for better results from Michigan!

Applied on 11/22, and complete on 12/21.


Military here, had to follow their directions and send in my DD-214, that's it. Sent the form in early December, was accepted Dec 20th.

Making the different accounts was a little convoluted, but not difficult.


Thanks for the update, and congrats on your acceptance! "A little convoluted" may be a bit generous, but I got it figured out :wink:
Now to figure out how capable I am of moving from San Antonio, where it was in the 70s all week, to the bitter cold that is Ann Arbor.

User avatar
88234

Bronze
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:02 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby 88234 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:34 am

Any ideas about when the first round of rejections happen?

dclaw93

Bronze
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 9:44 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby dclaw93 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:51 pm

88234 wrote:Any ideas about when the first round of rejections happen?


Looks like last year the first few rejections happened between 1/8-1/15, with another wave at the end of the month.

User avatar
Sarastro

Bronze
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby Sarastro » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:10 pm

In via status checker! O, happy day!!

Data:
Received 11/22/16
Complete 12/13/16
Admitted 1/6/17
25<GPA<50
75<LSAT
Wrote Why Mich



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Inquiry and 15 guests