Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

If accepted, how likely are you to attend?

Are you kidding? It's my first choice. Consider my seat deposit sent.
15%
It's high on my list but it's not THE school I'm waiting to hear back from.
27%
It's high on my list, but I can probably be swayed by more money from another school.
25%
Meh... I applied because it's a T14 - we'll see how my cycle goes.
20%
Really just plan on using it for scholarship negotiation purposes.
8%
Still feel really unsure. I'll probably visit or go to ASW to get a better feel for the school/location.
6%

Total votes: 305

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:33 pm

Because it's relevant and I love 538: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the ... 538twitter

If Michigan's Supreme Court clerks are indicative, Mich is pretty middle of the road ideologically speaking.

S.Picquery

Silver

Postby S.Picquery » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:54 am

Bob loblaw law blog wrote:
lsa16 wrote:
Bob loblaw law blog wrote:
blueapple wrote:
Bob loblaw law blog wrote:So I'm seriously considering going here for a variety of reasons (family, decent scholly I'm hoping to negotiate up a bit, proximity to chi, public interest rep...) But I do have a bit of a nagging worry. I'm fairly conservative in my political views, and while people say that politics don't come up much in law school (which I personally think is a good thing), Michigan seems to have a reputation for being exceptionally liberal. Not like, Berkeley liberal, but still. I'm by no means a true believer (I was not at all happy with the results of the election) or someone who's incapable of seeing the other side, but I am a little worried people here might just reflexively dislike me because I don't always share the same beliefs as them. Is that fear unfounded?

I'm not trying to make this a political argument, so I'd appreciate if people would avoid starting one. I just want if the descriptions of Michigan I've heard from some people ( "a special kind of hell for conservatives" ) are overblown, as I suspect they are, or something worth taking into serious consideration when making my decision. I do not think being more liberal makes a school any better or worse.

I think your fear is unfounded. I've never heard about Michigan's reputation for being exceptionally liberal compared to the rest of the T14. I'd recommend asking admissions to connect you with some people in FedSoc so you can talk to some conservative students. FWIW, I'm very liberal and many of my best friends at Michigan were conservatives. People certainly won't reflexively dislike you unless you're someone who interjects their opinion where it doesn't belong etc. (which goes for people on BOTH SIDES of the aisle).

That's kinda what I thought. Many of the people that have said those kinds of things to me are exactly the unpleasant sort you describe. It good to hear that my fears were unfounded, and I'll definitely talk to admissions about getting in touch with someone, that's a great idea.

I've seen questions like this on a couple forums and just want to throw out the thought that attending an institution where your politics differ from the majority (or from the loudest subset...) might be an explicitly positive thing for everyone involved...personal opinion that too many people on BOTH SIDES were stuck in echo-chambers over the course of this last election. Not that you don't have the right to worry about how you will be received because of your views. Best of luck on ultimately making the decision. :)

I completely agree, it was more "people will hate me without trying to get to know me" thing I worry about. I actually attend an pretty left leaning institution already and it's been awesome. I don't think I've ever had a conservative prof (or more than a handful of students) in either of my majors, but it has never been an issue. It's good to hear Mich has a similar thing going on.

Not to mention, JJ White is seemingly one of the more beloved professors and is far from left leaning.

Kangaroo_Court

Bronze

Postby Kangaroo_Court » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:12 am

Last edited by Kangaroo_Court on Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:47 am

Kangaroo_Court wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:Not to mention, JJ White is seemingly one of the more beloved professors and is far from left leaning.

Conservative prof at umich? I'm surprised to hear that because when I visited I got a huge liberal vibe

That 538 article suggested UMich is actually more conservative than liberal.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:10 am

brinicolec wrote:
Kangaroo_Court wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:Not to mention, JJ White is seemingly one of the more beloved professors and is far from left leaning.

Conservative prof at umich? I'm surprised to hear that because when I visited I got a huge liberal vibe

That 538 article suggested UMich is actually more conservative than liberal.

I highly doubt looking at SCOTUS clerks gives an accurate representation of the student body at large.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:32 am

I just got an email from financial aid about consumer information. Did everyone get this before getting an award offer? Or just after acceptance?

dmc1275

New

Postby dmc1275 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:39 am

Keilz wrote:I just got an email from financial aid about consumer information. Did everyone get this before getting an award offer? Or just after acceptance?

+1. Hoping it's either an auto-email everyone got this morning or something that comes before an award letter rather than in place of it.

katthegreat11

Bronze

Postby katthegreat11 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:50 am

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:Question: anyone else see on their admissions communications on the admitted students website "Dean's Scholarship Award Letter," but have not received an email about it? The date for the mailing was 12/22, so should I assume I will get the email soon?

Oh shit I have that too. Hoping you are correct.

Saw it totally by accident! Really hoping this doesn't mean we won't hear anything until after the New Year though.

Yeah I never looked at that before. Always go straight to "your personal award info" lol. But I see that they have my admissions decision letter on there and it's the same date I got my admissions notification by email. So I'm hoping we don't have to wait that long!

Any of you guys get your email/letter yet? I had the same mailing date but still nada.

premalone

New

Postby premalone » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:53 am

dmc1275 wrote:
Keilz wrote:I just got an email from financial aid about consumer information. Did everyone get this before getting an award offer? Or just after acceptance?

+1. Hoping it's either an auto-email everyone got this morning or something that comes before an award letter rather than in place of it.

My thoughts exactly this morning. Had a mini-freak out when I saw that I got an email from the financial aid office and I'm praying this isn't just a subtle way of telling me I'll have to pay sticker.

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:54 am

premalone wrote:
dmc1275 wrote:

My thoughts exactly this morning. Had a mini-freak out when I saw that I got an email from the financial aid office and I'm praying this isn't just a subtle way of telling me I'll have to pay sticker.

I got that email about 2 days before receiving scholarship info. GL!

premalone

New

Postby premalone » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:56 am

pretzeltime wrote:
premalone wrote:
dmc1275 wrote:

Phew, okay thank you! Fingers crossed for the best then.

katthegreat11

Bronze

Postby katthegreat11 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:57 am

premalone wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
premalone wrote:
dmc1275 wrote:

I got that email on 12/19 and still no scholly info :( Does the scholarship info come via snailmail or email?

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:01 am

katthegreat11 wrote:
premalone wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
premalone wrote:
dmc1275 wrote:

I got that email on 12/19 and still no scholly info :( Does the scholarship info come via snailmail or email?

No need for frowny face! I'm sure that now that they're back from break they'll start churning it out again. Email for me.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:17 am

Last edited by proteinshake on Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:20 am

proteinshake wrote:.

have you been admitted yet? What did you select on your application?

VA2lawschool

Bronze

Postby VA2lawschool » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:20 am

katthegreat11 wrote:
premalone wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
premalone wrote:
dmc1275 wrote:

Same situation as you! Still nothing after seeing the 12/22 mailing, and I got the consumer information email a couple of days before that. I would assume we will hear this week!

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:26 am

Keilz wrote:
proteinshake wrote:.

have you been admitted yet? What did you select on your application?

not yet, and I chose chose to be considered for the Fall only.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:27 am

katthegreat11 wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:Question: anyone else see on their admissions communications on the admitted students website "Dean's Scholarship Award Letter," but have not received an email about it? The date for the mailing was 12/22, so should I assume I will get the email soon?

Oh shit I have that too. Hoping you are correct.

Saw it totally by accident! Really hoping this doesn't mean we won't hear anything until after the New Year though.

Yeah I never looked at that before. Always go straight to "your personal award info" lol. But I see that they have my admissions decision letter on there and it's the same date I got my admissions notification by email. So I'm hoping we don't have to wait that long!

Any of you guys get your email/letter yet? I had the same mailing date but still nada.

Nothing on my end either :(

hoy456

New

Postby hoy456 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:00 pm

Anyone that submitted in mid December still waiting to go complete?

addie1412

Silver

Postby addie1412 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:06 pm

hoy456 wrote:Anyone that submitted in mid December still waiting to go complete?

I submitted 11/19 and didn't go complete until 12/16. About a month wait time has been pretty standard from what I've seen

ReadyToStart

New

Postby ReadyToStart » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:08 pm

How late is too late to send in a Why Michigan essay? I went complete over a month ago, and I've been upset at myself that I didn't send one in, especially since I have things to write.

Kangaroo_Court

Bronze

Postby Kangaroo_Court » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:31 pm

Last edited by Kangaroo_Court on Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:05 pm

Last edited by TexasENG on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kangaroo_Court

Bronze

Postby Kangaroo_Court » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:15 pm

Last edited by Kangaroo_Court on Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

hbdash

New

Postby hbdash » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:44 pm

ReadyToStart wrote:How late is too late to send in a Why Michigan essay? I went complete over a month ago, and I've been upset at myself that I didn't send one in, especially since I have things to write.

Last edited by hbdash on Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?