Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

If accepted, how likely are you to attend?

Are you kidding? It's my first choice. Consider my seat deposit sent.
15%
It's high on my list but it's not THE school I'm waiting to hear back from.
27%
It's high on my list, but I can probably be swayed by more money from another school.
25%
Meh... I applied because it's a T14 - we'll see how my cycle goes.
20%
Really just plan on using it for scholarship negotiation purposes.
8%
Still feel really unsure. I'll probably visit or go to ASW to get a better feel for the school/location.
6%

Total votes: 305

goldenbear2020

Silver

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby goldenbear2020 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:26 pm

musiclover123 wrote:
VinnyGambini Jr. wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:
musiclover123 wrote:In via e-mail!

+1. Complete 2/3

When did the email go out?

I got it at 6:30 this morning lol

same time for me

Torres1893

Bronze

Postby Torres1893 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:34 pm

88234 wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:Wow got the letter of the ding 1 day after status checker. That was quick :lol:

Got WLd, but curious: how'd it read?

It sounds more like there were more talented applicants than me instead of I was not good enough.

I'll just type it out.

"Thank you so much for your interest in the University of Michigan Law School. We have now completed our review of your application, and I am sorry to tell you that we are not able to offer you a place in our entering class.

We have room for only a fraction of the applicants who apply to Michigan each year, and regrettably, we must refuse admission to many very talented individuals who would make fine law students. Our admissions decisions comprehend a wide variety of considerations: not only academic achievement and test scores, but also factors such as leadership potential or experience, community service, extracurricular involvement, work experience, strength of recommendations, and quality of written work. This complexity means that our decisions are always difficult; we make every effort to be thorough and fair in our evaluations, but we recognize that we are constrained to deny wonderful applicants who excel as measured by these dimensions.

I am sorry to delivers disappointing news, and I wish you much success with your alternative plans."

BoyJord

Bronze

Postby BoyJord » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:43 pm

Torres1893 wrote:
88234 wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:Wow got the letter of the ding 1 day after status checker. That was quick :lol:

Got WLd, but curious: how'd it read?

It sounds more like there were more talented applicants than me instead of I was not good enough.

I'll just type it out.

"Thank you so much for your interest in the University of Michigan Law School. We have now completed our review of your application, and I am sorry to tell you that we are not able to offer you a place in our entering class.

We have room for only a fraction of the applicants who apply to Michigan each year, and regrettably, we must refuse admission to many very talented individuals who would make fine law students. Our admissions decisions comprehend a wide variety of considerations: not only academic achievement and test scores, but also factors such as leadership potential or experience, community service, extracurricular involvement, work experience, strength of recommendations, and quality of written work. This complexity means that our decisions are always difficult; we make every effort to be thorough and fair in our evaluations, but we recognize that we are constrained to deny wonderful applicants who excel as measured by these dimensions.

I am sorry to delivers disappointing news, and I wish you much success with your alternative plans."

I am sure most Ding letters are fairly similar but this is very very close to the letter I got from NYU

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:27 am

Has anyone successfully negotiated from no scholly to some scholly? If so, PM me PLEASE

redrebel

New

Postby redrebel » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:25 pm

Anyone have an idea about Michigan's need-based aid guidelines? The form just became available on the admitted students website.

AndersonSilva

New

Postby AndersonSilva » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:26 pm

Has anyone filled out the Need based aid calculator? I assumed I would be eligible for a little help (undergrad debt,limited savings, no trust fund) but received nothing.

redrebel

New

Postby redrebel » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:29 pm

AndersonSilva wrote:Has anyone filled out the Need based aid calculator? I assumed I would be eligible for a little help (undergrad debt,limited savings, no trust fund) but received nothing.

Yeah, I had the same thing happen to me which is why I'm curious about the guidelines.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:30 pm

AndersonSilva wrote:Has anyone filled out the Need based aid calculator? I assumed I would be eligible for a little help (undergrad debt,limited savings, no trust fund) but received nothing.

Is that on the admitted students site? I'm surprised I missed it. I feel like I've clicked everything at least once! Lol.

Also, @ any summer starters, I made a summer starter thread in the c/o 2020 topic area because I'm trying to find y'all!

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:45 pm

I also received nothing and I thought I would qualify for at least something. wth

BTW your username is amazing. GOAT

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:46 pm

redrebel wrote:

Yeah, I had the same thing happen to me which is why I'm curious about the guidelines.

Just found/filled out the calculator, and am also surprised they think I'm ineligible. I have like $300. I owe like $5000.

Does anyone know if Parent PLUS loans count towards our education loans (if so, I filled out that form wrong :roll:)?

Also, should we still fill out CSS even if they say we don't appear to qualify?

Edit: Is anyone planning on filling out the "explain your situation" thing, and if so, what are you saying? I really want to just be like, don't let my measly $300 fool you (also don't know how it did?????) but

Last edited by brinicolec on Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S.Picquery

Silver

Postby S.Picquery » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:52 pm

brinicolec wrote:Has anyone successfully negotiated from no scholly to some scholly? If so, PM me PLEASE

+1 I'd love to hear what your experience was like.

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:53 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Has anyone successfully negotiated from no scholly to some scholly? If so, PM me PLEASE

+1 I'd love to hear what your experience was like.

+2

utnyc44

New

Postby utnyc44 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:29 pm

I still have not received an email with my status checker info. The original email from a few weeks ago said I would receive that info 5-7 days later, but it has been more than that. Has anyone else had an experience with a delay like this on getting login info? Wondering if it's normal or I should reach out. Thanks!

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:40 pm

utnyc44 wrote:I still have not received an email with my status checker info. The original email from a few weeks ago said I would receive that info 5-7 days later, but it has been more than that. Has anyone else had an experience with a delay like this on getting login info? Wondering if it's normal or I should reach out. Thanks!

I don't think it'd be a big deal for you to reach out (they'll probably get back to you tomorrow). Everyone I've interacted with within admissions (via email) has been quick to respond and pleasant. I don't think anyone is gonna hate you for asking.

S/n though: has it been 5-7 business days? Because I tend to think of LS stuff on a business days schedule since they generally don't work during weekends.

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Postby nyu2019maybeplease » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:54 am

If it's legit been that long and you've checked your spam filter go for it. No one's gonna kill you, just be polite

utnyc44 wrote:I still have not received an email with my status checker info. The original email from a few weeks ago said I would receive that info 5-7 days later, but it has been more than that. Has anyone else had an experience with a delay like this on getting login info? Wondering if it's normal or I should reach out. Thanks!

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:07 am

Last edited by Pozzo on Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

utnyc44

New

Postby utnyc44 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:34 am

brinicolec wrote:

I don't think it'd be a big deal for you to reach out (they'll probably get back to you tomorrow). Everyone I've interacted with within admissions (via email) has been quick to respond and pleasant. I don't think anyone is gonna hate you for asking.

S/n though: has it been 5-7 business days? Because I tend to think of LS stuff on a business days schedule since they generally don't work during weekends.

Thanks! Yes, good point. Double checked with business days and it has still been more than that.

BoyJord

Bronze

Postby BoyJord » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:36 am

utnyc44 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Thanks! Yes, good point. Double checked with business days and it has still been more than that.

FWIW mine took 12 calendar days to arrive

utnyc44

New

Postby utnyc44 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:45 am

BoyJord wrote:
utnyc44 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

FWIW mine took 12 calendar days to arrive

Glad it's not too abnormal! Went ahead and sent a (polite) email, since they say you need to ensure all of your stuff is in by March 1 - which is quickly approaching!

saf18hornet

Bronze

Postby saf18hornet » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:14 pm

redrebel wrote:

If your family is not below the poverty line, I wouldn't expect any aid :/

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:42 pm

saf18hornet wrote:
redrebel wrote:

I basically responded to the thing like "I fully expect to be bank account BROKE by the time I get to school, plz help" lol

redrebel

New

Postby redrebel » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:50 pm

saf18hornet wrote:
redrebel wrote:

So even though I have been financially independent for years and my parents will definitely not be helping me with law school, I am doomed to $$$ in debt. Great.

saf18hornet

Bronze

Postby saf18hornet » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:57 pm

redrebel wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:
redrebel wrote:

So even though I have been financially independent for years and my parents will definitely not be helping me with law school, I am doomed to $$$ in debt. Great.

College is a choice, not a right. Of course we could have taken out like an extra 10% from your paycheck the last several years and then thrown you 10k a year for law school..... but then that extra 10% comes back out again after you graduate every year for the rest of you life. Taxes, sigh...
(sorry, I i'm not trying to make this political)

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:08 pm

brinicolec wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:
redrebel wrote:

I basically responded to the thing like "I fully expect to be bank account BROKE by the time I get to school, plz help" lol

Update: They replied and were basically like, "Everyone is about to be BROKE here so we're really selective about what kind of BROKE we're looking at." She said they rely a lot of past need and (education) debt, as well as assets. Kind of sucks though because the reason I don't have a lot of education debt right now is because I used my dad's GI Bill. Needless to say, it's gone now :cry: lol.

Oh well, at least I tried. Back to this bookmark of nothing but outside schollies I need to try to win.

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:09 pm

redrebel wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:
redrebel wrote:

You know what's worse? Being below the poverty line AND being doomed to $$$ in debt

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?