Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

If accepted, how likely are you to attend?

Are you kidding? It's my first choice. Consider my seat deposit sent.
15%
It's high on my list but it's not THE school I'm waiting to hear back from.
27%
It's high on my list, but I can probably be swayed by more money from another school.
25%
Meh... I applied because it's a T14 - we'll see how my cycle goes.
20%
Really just plan on using it for scholarship negotiation purposes.
8%
Still feel really unsure. I'll probably visit or go to ASW to get a better feel for the school/location.
6%

Total votes: 305

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby Iwanttolawschool » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:47 pm

dryoasis wrote:
lsa16 wrote:
Iwanttolawschool wrote:Unless you are an older applicant with a former career, the resume should be 1 page. No one cares that you won the spelling bee.

I am submitting two pages to all schools and I am a pretty traditional student. Definitely think some will have enough work experience and extracurriculars for that.

2 is ok, esp. if you have research/publications.

I feel like you missed the point. Unless something on your resume would make someone you just met say, "wow, that's great!" Don't include it. Just because you can fill two pages doesn't mean you should.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:49 pm

Iwanttolawschool wrote:
dryoasis wrote:
lsa16 wrote:
Iwanttolawschool wrote:Unless you are an older applicant with a former career, the resume should be 1 page. No one cares that you won the spelling bee.

I am submitting two pages to all schools and I am a pretty traditional student. Definitely think some will have enough work experience and extracurriculars for that.

I feel like you missed the point. Unless something on your resume would make someone you just met say, "wow, that's great!" Don't include it. Just because you can fill two pages doesn't mean you should.

Eh mine justtttt goes onto the second page and I'm leaving it that way unless I feel like the school specifically wants one page because to get it down to one I delete a leadership position. But I also have work experience that takes up a section of my resume

zeglo

Silver

Postby zeglo » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:17 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lsa16

Bronze

Postby lsa16 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:43 pm

zeglo wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Iwanttolawschool wrote:
dryoasis wrote:
lsa16 wrote:

Eh mine justtttt goes onto the second page and I'm leaving it that way unless I feel like the school specifically wants one page because to get it down to one I delete a leadership position. But I also have work experience that takes up a section of my resume

One page is better. You can always condense.

Mine couldn't be condensed to one page if I tried, and again, I haven't been out of college that long. Obviously people need to use their own judgment about what experiences are worth sharing, but don't think fitting a resume on one page is anything to be stressed over.

KatCoco

New

Postby KatCoco » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:48 pm

lsa16 wrote:
zeglo wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Iwanttolawschool wrote:
dryoasis wrote:
lsa16 wrote:

One page is better. You can always condense.

Mine couldn't be condensed to one page if I tried, and again, I haven't been out of college that long. Obviously people need to use their own judgment about what experiences are worth sharing, but don't think fitting a resume on one page is anything to be stressed over.

I agree. I didn't approach this like a job resume and didn't attempt to fit it on one page. They don't give a one-page limit, and the way I see it, this is one of the only chances I have to tell the committee more about myself. I'm not going to try to cut out information that might bolster my application just to fit within an arbitrary limit--a limit that, again, none of the committees are actually setting.

taxman14

Bronze

Postby taxman14 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:03 pm

Yep - this isn't a job application, so the one page limit is totally arbitrary unless you're filling space with bs. Then just stick with one page.

zeglo

Silver

Postby zeglo » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:44 am

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taxman14

Bronze

Postby taxman14 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:38 am

zeglo wrote:You can always reduce the length. We're not even people with a ton of experience. You all are just stubborn and make up reasons for doing things the way you want.

I'm not saying it'll be an issue in your application. But I do think you all seem rather inflexible.

Again not true if you have a few relevant publications. I'd have to either remove them or my work experience. Didn't seem necessary since no one stated that a one-pager was necessary and you seem to be the only person arguing against that. So perhaps you're a bit inflexible with your aversion towards two-pagers without really knowing what the applicants with the two-pagers have on them?

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:41 am

taxman14 wrote:
zeglo wrote:You can always reduce the length. We're not even people with a ton of experience. You all are just stubborn and make up reasons for doing things the way you want.

I'm not saying it'll be an issue in your application. But I do think you all seem rather inflexible.

Again not true if you have a few relevant publications. I'd have to either remove them or my work experience. Didn't seem necessary since no one stated that a one-pager was necessary and you seem to be the only person arguing against that. So perhaps you're a bit inflexible with your aversion towards two-pagers without really knowing what the applicants with the two-pagers have on them?

+1

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:17 pm

This

NotAGolfer

Silver

Postby NotAGolfer » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:01 pm

How many LORs did you all submit? I know they require 1 but recommend 3. I have my app ready to go and 2 LORs ready, but my 3rd recommender is being really flaky. I'm wondering if it's really worth holding up my app for the 3rd LOR or if I should just submit with the 2.

Also, did anyone else not do a Why Mich essay because they wanted to answer 2 other questions instead? I have an Academic Record essay related to an illness I had in undergrad as well as a Diversity essay that I think are really important. Since they limit you to two I'm not planning on submitting a Why Mich essay. Is this a huge mistake?

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:13 pm

NotAGolfer wrote:How many LORs did you all submit? I know they require 1 but recommend 3. I have my app ready to go and 2 LORs ready, but my 3rd recommender is being really flaky. I'm wondering if it's really worth holding up my app for the 3rd LOR or if I should just submit with the 2.

Also, did anyone else not do a Why Mich essay because they wanted to answer 2 other questions instead? I have an Academic Record essay related to an illness I had in undergrad as well as a Diversity essay that I think are really important. Since they limit you to two I'm not planning on submitting a Why Mich essay. Is this a huge mistake?

I'm submitting two.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:16 pm

RamTitan wrote:

This

I think it seems more inflexible to insist that no one should have a resume longer than a page, period. And I don't know why you're so insistent on this considering that several people, including admiss deans, have stated that the LS resume does not have to be limited to one page like a job resume does. Obviously, people shouldn't just put every and anything they've done on their resume, but at the same time, people shouldn't delete experience they have in order to stay on one page when it's not a requirement.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Postby NotAGolfer » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:40 pm

brinicolec wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:How many LORs did you all submit? I know they require 1 but recommend 3. I have my app ready to go and 2 LORs ready, but my 3rd recommender is being really flaky. I'm wondering if it's really worth holding up my app for the 3rd LOR or if I should just submit with the 2.

I'm submitting two.

Thanks. I'm leaning towards doing that too.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:53 pm

brinicolec wrote:
RamTitan wrote:

This

I think it seems more inflexible to insist that no one should have a resume longer than a page, period. And I don't know why you're so insistent on this considering that several people, including admiss deans, have stated that the LS resume does not have to be limited to one page like a job resume does. Obviously, people shouldn't just put every and anything they've done on their resume, but at the same time, people shouldn't delete experience they have in order to stay on one page when it's not a requirement.

Sure, but that's assuming the experience is worth listing in the first place, when I'd bet money that it probably isn't (especially for K-JDs).

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:05 pm

RamTitan wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
RamTitan wrote:

This

Sure, but that's assuming the experience is worth listing in the first place, when I'd bet money that it probably isn't (especially for K-JDs).

You're making the assumption everyone asking is K-JD. Also, you have to think about how many jobs people have held, how many leadership positions they've held, etc. etc. All of that stuff takes up space in the blink of an eye.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:12 pm

brinicolec wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
RamTitan wrote:

This

You're making the assumption everyone asking is K-JD. Also, you have to think about how many jobs people have held, how many leadership positions they've held, etc. etc. All of that stuff takes up space in the blink of an eye.

Lol, no I didn't. I said "especially for k-JD's", not that everyone asking is a K-JD.

Not every job and leadership position is created equal; some aren't worth mentioning. Stop taking this personally.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:17 pm

RamTitan wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
RamTitan wrote:

This

Lol, no I didn't. I said "especially for k-JD's", not that everyone asking is a K-JD.

Not every job and leadership position is created equal; some aren't worth mentioning. Stop taking this personally.

I'm not taking it personally. I just think it's bad for people to be insistent upon misinformation (such as the resume needing to be one page). There are people on here who trust what people say on here is true/backed by facts, and if you're insistent upon misinformation, they might then believe that, regardless of what their resume contains, they have to remove things to force it on to one page. Basically, I just think everyone needs to be careful about what they push out as "gospel" vs. what they personally think.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:21 pm

brinicolec wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
RamTitan wrote:

This

I'm not taking it personally. I just think it's bad for people to be insistent upon misinformation (such as the resume needing to be one page). There are people on here who trust what people say on here is true/backed by facts, and if you're insistent upon misinformation, they might then believe that, regardless of what their resume contains, they have to remove things to force it on to one page. Basically, I just think everyone needs to be careful about what they push out as "gospel" vs. what they personally think.

Is this your first time on an Internet message board?

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:23 pm

RamTitan wrote:Is this your first time on an Internet message board?

Let's just stop the conversation because you're clearly not responding to what I'm actually saying so this is a waste of both of our's time, yes? Okay.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:56 pm

brinicolec wrote:

Let's just stop the conversation because you're clearly not responding to what I'm actually saying so this is a waste of both of our's time, yes? Okay.

My last comment meant that mostly everything posted on a message board is opinion-based to some degree. You can argue that admissions officers say it's okay (and maybe it is) to have a resume longer than one page, but admission officers also say lots of different things that have been proven not to be actually true (for example, that they take a holistic view of applications where GPA and LSAT score are merely components of an overall evaluation).

Like the comment I quoted said, it's not going to make or break your application at the end of the day, so just relax.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:38 pm

RamTitan wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

My last comment meant that mostly everything posted on a message board is opinion-based to some degree. You can argue that admissions officers say it's okay (and maybe it is) to have a resume longer than one page, but admission officers also say lots of different things that have been proven not to be actually true (for example, that they take a holistic view of applications where GPA and LSAT score are merely components of an overall evaluation).

Like the comment I quoted said, it's not going to make or break your application at the end of the day, so just relax.

I feel like you think I'm bothered when I'm not, which is in turn bothering me. Kind of like when you're calm but people think you're angry for some reason and are like "Calm down" then you starting becoming annoyed and in turn, angry. I personally don't care either way because I'm going to do what I think is right. I was simply saying I think we need to be careful about being INSISTENT on things like the person who originally took your stance was. I also don't think ad comm would BS about the length of the resume. I get why they have to say they look at apps holistically, but the resume thing isn't going to spark any debates about the app reviewing process like saying "We honestly couldn't care less about _, we just care about _" would. Either way, this argument is pointless.

taxman14

Bronze

Postby taxman14 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:30 pm

brinicolec wrote:
RamTitan wrote:

This

To the point made earlier about resume length, Yale is pretty clear about it being allowed to be two pages (ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE LOTS OF PUBLICATIONS). I have copied their instructions here: "A résumé is not required, but you may include one if you wish. Unless you have a significant number of publications, the Admissions Committee prefers résumés to be no longer than one page."

Fairly certain if YLS makes this point then you can apply this as a rule of thumb to all other law schools.

LawschoolHopeful2k16

New

Postby LawschoolHopeful2k16 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:41 pm

I think a couple other schools also say 2 pages is okay.

For a ton of people though, as previously mentioned, 1 page will suffice. Many people can remove the unimportant positions or find a better way to format it, by like listing multiple positions held in one organization all in one place/line instead of having them separate.

The way I look at it is unless you're super well qualified and have a lot of work experience, you didn't do enough important things that justify long explanations. So devote the majority of the space to the main few jobs or extracurriculars. So list that you were president of the club and explain your duties, but then maybe mention at the end in half a sentence that you were also vp and treasurer instead of listing and describing what you did in those positions.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Postby NotAGolfer » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:38 pm

bump

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?