Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

If accepted, how likely are you to attend?

Are you kidding? It's my first choice. Consider my seat deposit sent.
15%
It's high on my list but it's not THE school I'm waiting to hear back from.
27%
It's high on my list, but I can probably be swayed by more money from another school.
25%
Meh... I applied because it's a T14 - we'll see how my cycle goes.
20%
Really just plan on using it for scholarship negotiation purposes.
8%
Still feel really unsure. I'll probably visit or go to ASW to get a better feel for the school/location.
6%

Total votes: 305

ayylmao

Silver

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby ayylmao » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:17 pm

Bob loblaw law blog wrote:
sandyeggo wrote:Is it too late to apply to Michigan? Numbers are at or above both 75th... even if I apply and get in do I have a shot at any money?

I think not getting YPed is going to be a problem for you, but it's worth a shot if you can whip up a good "why Michigan". I'm sure they'd hand out $ for those numbers but it may be difficult to convince them you actually want to go there when you apply this late.

Yeah I'm comfortably above both 75ths, applied in mid Oct, and have heard nothing since despite writing why Mich. The YP is real :(

lemon-lyman

New

Postby lemon-lyman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:55 pm

Has anyone sent their info requesting a travel stipend for Preview weekend? They want an explanation of circumstances so I was just planning on saying I support myself and here's how much I make compared to my rent etc. Anyone recommend anything else?

illini2016

New

Postby illini2016 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:02 pm

lemon-lyman wrote:Has anyone sent their info requesting a travel stipend for Preview weekend? They want an explanation of circumstances so I was just planning on saying I support myself and here's how much I make compared to my rent etc. Anyone recommend anything else?

Completely irrelevant, but I had to shout out the best name on TLS.

lemon-lyman

New

Postby lemon-lyman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:50 pm

illini2016 wrote:
lemon-lyman wrote:Has anyone sent their info requesting a travel stipend for Preview weekend? They want an explanation of circumstances so I was just planning on saying I support myself and here's how much I make compared to my rent etc. Anyone recommend anything else?

Completely irrelevant, but I had to shout out the best name on TLS.

Haha thank you! Honestly there's nothing better than people recognizing my WW references.

Blue664

New

Postby Blue664 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:58 pm

guybourdin wrote:Applied for the first preview weekend! Subsidized hotel is really nice - 3 nights for $60.

I am so bad at keeping on top of stuff. Where was the invite/link to apply for preview weekend? I can't find it in any emails or on the admitted students website....

airwrecka posted on the admitted students travel stipend thread that you can just bring receipts to preview weekend. Or do we have to request in advance? Again....I clearly missed anything about making requests.

RedPurpleBlue

Bronze

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:13 pm

Blue664 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:Applied for the first preview weekend! Subsidized hotel is really nice - 3 nights for $60.

I am so bad at keeping on top of stuff. Where was the invite/link to apply for preview weekend? I can't find it in any emails or on the admitted students website....

airwrecka posted on the admitted students travel stipend thread that you can just bring receipts to preview weekend. Or do we have to request in advance? Again....I clearly missed anything about making requests.

Important Dates > Preview Weekend > Register Now (on the right side of the page)

msouthworth

New

Postby msouthworth » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:36 pm

Has anyone heard of this Telluride Association house? Someone posted about it on the admitted students FB page and I'm curious if people on here know anything about it.

jza1994

Bronze

Postby jza1994 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:39 pm

Checking in. I (finally) got my ID to get into the status checker today. I probably won't get in, but I would be very happy if I did! (LSAT<25%, GPA=75%) How have my fellow reverse splitters been doing this cycle?

treetops_rising

New

Postby treetops_rising » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:54 pm

jza1994 wrote:Checking in. I (finally) got my ID to get into the status checker today. I probably won't get in, but I would be very happy if I did! (LSAT<25%, GPA=75%) How have my fellow reverse splitters been doing this cycle?

Traditional splitter here.

When did you go complete?
I submitted in late December and still don't have my status checker :shock:

jza1994

Bronze

Postby jza1994 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:59 pm

treetops_rising wrote:
jza1994 wrote:Checking in. I (finally) got my ID to get into the status checker today. I probably won't get in, but I would be very happy if I did! (LSAT<25%, GPA=75%) How have my fellow reverse splitters been doing this cycle?

They have me at "incomplete- in process" right now. They said in the email with my ID that that was normal as it takes a little while for them to enter in that they have all of my stuff. I submitted on 1/15. Maybe time to call them?

Cbear2017

New

Postby Cbear2017 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:22 pm

jza1994 wrote:
treetops_rising wrote:

They have me at "incomplete- in process" right now. They said in the email with my ID that that was normal as it takes a little while for them to enter in that they have all of my stuff. I submitted on 1/15. Maybe time to call them?

It took me a month to get my status checker--I was complete already when I got it--sometimes it takes a while because the office is processing so many applications--I'd give it a bit more time, especially as late december was the holidays so essentially you submitted 1/3 if u submitted anytime after 12/23....

jza1994

Bronze

Postby jza1994 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:28 pm

Cbear2017 wrote:
jza1994 wrote:
treetops_rising wrote:

It took me a month to get my status checker--I was complete already when I got it--sometimes it takes a while because the office is processing so many applications--I'd give it a bit more time, especially as late december was the holidays so essentially you submitted 1/3 if u submitted anytime after 12/23....

I'm surprised that my application would be processed first, then, as my numbers wouldn't put me on any sort of priority track, and I submitted long after treetops.

Cbear2017

New

Postby Cbear2017 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:32 pm

jza1994 wrote:
Cbear2017 wrote:
jza1994 wrote:
treetops_rising wrote:

I'm surprised that my application would be processed first, then, as my numbers wouldn't put me on any sort of priority track, and I submitted long after treetops.

I think getting the status checker is a bit different than the processing--for example, i have many friends who submitted more recently who got the status checker wayyy before me but they still aren't complete yet and I am so I'm not entirely sure it's a linear process if that makes sense? Not really sure, but that is what I would say if i had to guess...

jza1994

Bronze

Postby jza1994 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:35 pm

Cbear2017 wrote:
jza1994 wrote:
Cbear2017 wrote:
jza1994 wrote:
treetops_rising wrote:

I think getting the status checker is a bit different than the processing--for example, i have many friends who submitted more recently who got the status checker wayyy before me but they still aren't complete yet and I am so I'm not entirely sure it's a linear process if that makes sense? Not really sure, but that is what I would say if i had to guess...

...weird...

Cbear2017

New

Postby Cbear2017 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:37 pm

jza1994 wrote:
Cbear2017 wrote:
jza1994 wrote:
Cbear2017 wrote:
jza1994 wrote:
treetops_rising wrote:

...weird...

agreed...may have been guilty of emailing the office and calling them to keep checking in on my status checker....

lemon-lyman

New

Postby lemon-lyman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:39 pm

Blue664 wrote:

Update: I emailed them explaining my general financial circumstances and they emailed me back less than 12 hours later that they would reimburse my travel up to $300 if I bring receipts to preview weekend. I do think you have to request in advance, but it was worth it - it wasn't too difficult.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:42 pm

Ugh. I really want to go to one of the Preview weekends, however I have a problem.

I applied for the RTK at NYU, and IF by some miracle I make it to the interview round, I have to be on NYC on April 5, so I can't go to the April Preview weekend. I was also nominated for a scholarship at Cornell that would require an in-person interview in Ithaca that happens to be during the March Preview weekend! I have no guarantee of making it to the interview round for either of these scholarships, but I can't book a different trip during those time-frames just in case :/

I know this is a "good" problem to have, but I really want to see Michigan! I'm not super interested in Cornell, but I figure it would be silly not to at least attempt to get a really good scholarship there. If for no other reason, I can use it for negotiation purposes...

S.Picquery

Silver

Postby S.Picquery » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:31 pm

airwrecka wrote:Ugh. I really want to go to one of the Preview weekends, however I have a problem.

I applied for the RTK at NYU, and IF by some miracle I make it to the interview round, I have to be on NYC on April 5, so I can't go to the April Preview weekend. I was also nominated for a scholarship at Cornell that would require an in-person interview in Ithaca that happens to be during the March Preview weekend! I have no guarantee of making it to the interview round for either of these scholarships, but I can't book a different trip during those time-frames just in case :/

I know this is a "good" problem to have, but I really want to see Michigan! I'm not super interested in Cornell, but I figure it would be silly not to at least attempt to get a really good scholarship there. If for no other reason, I can use it for negotiation purposes...

So register for the preview weekend that gives a conflict with cornell, and pull your rsvp if you find out you can't go. That is always an option.

Leliana

Bronze

Postby Leliana » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:43 pm

airwrecka wrote:Ugh. I really want to go to one of the Preview weekends, however I have a problem.

RTK interviews are April 1 (the day after their second ASW - I applied too). So you could go to Michigan's April preview! Though if you do get offered a RTK, the FAQ says applicants may have to accept as early as April 5.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:46 pm

S.Picquery wrote:

So register for the preview weekend that gives a conflict with cornell, and pull your rsvp if you find out you can't go. That is always an option.

My bigger concern is plane tickets. I have to fly to get to the Preview weekends, and I don't want to pay for a ticket I might not use. But I'm worried if I wait till last minute to get a plane ticket, they'll be super expensive. I guess I could risk it, though.

Leliana wrote:RTK interviews are April 1 (the day after their second ASW - I applied too). So you could go to Michigan's April preview! Though if you do get offered a RTK, the FAQ says applicants may have to accept as early as April 5.

Oh yeah! Sorry, my bad I messed up the dates haha. The problem is that I would have to fly FROM Ann Arbor to NYC if I got the interview, though, which leads me to similar plane ticket issues as above ^ But it is an option, you're right :)

Leliana

Bronze

Postby Leliana » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:52 pm

airwrecka wrote:My bigger concern is plane tickets. I have to fly to get to the Preview weekends, and I don't want to pay for a ticket I might not use. But I'm worried if I wait till last minute to get a plane ticket, they'll be super expensive. I guess I could risk it, though.

Leliana wrote:RTK interviews are April 1 (the day after their second ASW - I applied too). So you could go to Michigan's April preview! Though if you do get offered a RTK, the FAQ says applicants may have to accept as early as April 5.

Oh yeah! Sorry, my bad I messed up the dates haha. The problem is that I would have to fly FROM Ann Arbor to NYC if I got the interview, though, which leads me to similar plane ticket issues as above ^ But it is an option, you're right :)

Yeah, it sounds like it's going to be a pain figuring it out either way haha. Maybe book refundable ticket(s)? It'll be more expensive but might be worth it in the end. Or take your chances on flights last minute but that would stress me out :shock:

xandra_v

Bronze

Postby xandra_v » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:58 pm

Leliana wrote:
airwrecka wrote:My bigger concern is plane tickets. I have to fly to get to the Preview weekends, and I don't want to pay for a ticket I might not use. But I'm worried if I wait till last minute to get a plane ticket, they'll be super expensive. I guess I could risk it, though.

Yeah, it sounds like it's going to be a pain figuring it out either way haha. Maybe book refundable ticket(s)? It'll be more expensive but might be worth it in the end. Or take your chances on flights last minute but that would stress me out :shock:

Or book Southwest! They let you cancel your flight for free up to 10min before departure and keep the $ you spent in an account with them to use on something else.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:03 pm

xandra_v wrote:
Leliana wrote:

Or book Southwest! They let you cancel your flight for free up to 10min before departure and keep the $ you spent in an account with them to use on something else.

I did NOT know this about Southwest! Thank you!!

xandra_v

Bronze

Postby xandra_v » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:05 pm

airwrecka wrote:
xandra_v wrote:
Leliana wrote:

I did NOT know this about Southwest! Thank you!!

They are great!! My BF is in Chicago and so I'm constantly flying with them haha.

CHyde

Bronze

Postby CHyde » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:12 pm

Last edited by CHyde on Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?