Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

If accepted, how likely are you to attend?

Are you kidding? It's my first choice. Consider my seat deposit sent.
15%
It's high on my list but it's not THE school I'm waiting to hear back from.
27%
It's high on my list, but I can probably be swayed by more money from another school.
25%
Meh... I applied because it's a T14 - we'll see how my cycle goes.
20%
Really just plan on using it for scholarship negotiation purposes.
8%
Still feel really unsure. I'll probably visit or go to ASW to get a better feel for the school/location.
6%

Total votes: 305

TAD

Bronze

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Postby TAD » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:31 pm

Just had Darrow interview. Super chill.

UghNonAmus

New

Postby UghNonAmus » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:43 pm

Blue664 wrote:
ChervonaKatya wrote:Hi everyone! Congrats to those admitted already and good luck to those waiting! I'm a current 1L at Michigan -- let me know if you have any questions! :D

Hi! Since someone just brought up the Lawyer's Club again...could you speak to how hard it is to find decent, convenient off-campus housing? Obviously it's ridiculously convenient and looks super nice - but the one thing holding me back is that I want to bring my dog (for mental health!). But if (pet friendly) off-campus housing is a really difficult process, then maybe I'll leave my dog with my SO... Thanks for your insight!

ETA: Got in this week! Non URM, LSAT slightly above 75th, GPA<25th. Submitted first week of December so I'm feeling lucky that my app went through relatively fast it seems...

Lived in Ann Arbor about 5 years ago, admitted for summer start. Subleasing for summer, if that applies to you, is easy. Decent/convenient off-campus housing is generally dependent, naturally, upon your price range and how "convenient" you are looking for, but it really isn't too bad.

UM's central campus is really integrated with the city of Ann Arbor so there's a lot of housing that wouldn't be more than a 5-10 min drive or 15 min walk.

Baby Gaga

Bronze

Postby Baby Gaga » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:10 pm

TAD wrote:Just had Darrow interview. Super chill.

Mine is next week, it's the only one that's with alumni so I don't really know how to feel about it

TAD

Bronze

Postby TAD » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Baby Gaga wrote:

Mine is next week, it's the only one that's with alumni so I don't really know how to feel about it

Honestly, it seems like getting the interview almost guarantees getting the Darrow. My interviewer was mostly selling me on the school and even emphasized how his job was to convince me to come to mich. He did 90% of the talking and when I spoke it was to answer why law, and why the states, and then a discussion of my resume.

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:29 pm

TAD wrote:
Baby Gaga wrote:

Honestly, it seems like getting the interview almost guarantees getting the Darrow. My interviewer was mostly selling me on the school and even emphasized how his job was to convince me to come to mich. He did 90% of the talking and when I spoke it was to answer why law, and why the states, and then a discussion of my resume.

similar experience.

Baby Gaga

Bronze

Postby Baby Gaga » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:36 pm

pretzeltime wrote:
TAD wrote:
Baby Gaga wrote:

similar experience.

thanks guys! that's really encouraging. It would be hard for me to turn down a Darrow

Dreadhead168

New

Postby Dreadhead168 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:53 pm

pretzeltime wrote:
TAD wrote:
Baby Gaga wrote:

similar experience.

Did the interviewer indicate whether they had read your personal statement or supplemental essays?

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:59 pm

Dreadhead168 wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
TAD wrote:
Baby Gaga wrote:

similar experience.

Did the interviewer indicate whether they had read your personal statement or supplemental essays?

mine had, yep. but if they don't indicate you can just ask them. again it's the sort of thing where they're on your team.

asuddenarborealstop

New

Postby asuddenarborealstop » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:08 pm

pretzeltime wrote:
TAD wrote:
Baby Gaga wrote:

similar experience.

+1

TAD

Bronze

Postby TAD » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:10 pm

Dreadhead168 wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
TAD wrote:
Baby Gaga wrote:

similar experience.

Mine said he read my whole application so I assume that included my ps and ds as well. Didn't really discuss it though.

LawTweet

Bronze

Postby LawTweet » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:40 pm

TAD wrote:
Baby Gaga wrote:

God I hope that's true. I would die for the Darrow!! But my numbers are not like the other finalists' (not URM either)...

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:50 pm

LawTweet wrote:
TAD wrote:
Baby Gaga wrote:

God I hope that's true. I would die for the Darrow!! But my numbers are not like the other finalists' (not URM either)...

well they musta picked you for a reason.

mind you, even though they seem to be on our team, i took dayquil for the first time shortly before my interview and was basically tweaking the entire time. yikes. not ideal. probs got downgraded to half Darrow at the least :lol: :lol: what do they put in that stuff???

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:37 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LenaFarrer

New

Postby LenaFarrer » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:07 am

Last edited by LenaFarrer on Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hernandp

New

Postby hernandp » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:17 pm

Hello everyone!

Fellow summer starter here :)
Michigan is my top choice right now, but I am still waiting to hear back from other schools.
Waiting to hear back from financial aid, but not expecting much because of my LSAT.

Submitted: 12/09
Received: 12/12
Accepted: 01/04

LSAT < 25th
25th < GPA <75th
URM
Wrote Why Michigan Essay

feefeeriri

New

Postby feefeeriri » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:48 pm

Hey, long time lurker, but finally made an account.

I got in today for Summer start and the school's one of my top choices since I probably won't get into NYU :( . But U Mich seems really awesome and I'm excited!

I know they don't let you stay in the Lawyers Club for the summer term, but if I'm summer start, does anyone know if I can live in the Lawyers Club during the fall term? Or is it exclusively for fall people only?

Also, all of you guys getting these Darrow interviews...are your stats exceptionally high/what are they looking for when it comes to the finalists?

S.Picquery

Silver

Postby S.Picquery » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:55 pm

feefeeriri wrote:Hey, long time lurker, but finally made an account.

I got in today for Summer start and the school's one of my top choices since I probably won't get into NYU :( . But U Mich seems really awesome and I'm excited!

I know they don't let you stay in the Lawyers Club for the summer term, but if I'm summer start, does anyone know if I can live in the Lawyers Club during the fall term? Or is it exclusively for fall people only?

Also, all of you guys getting these Darrow interviews...are your stats exceptionally high/what are they looking for when it comes to the finalists?

It is not for Fall people only, but you're right about not being able to live there in the summer. However, you can apply to live there RIGHT NOW! It's just emailing a form to them, and puts you in line when they start giving out the spots. Remember that this isn't binding, so the earlier the better.

And it does seem like the Darrow is going to do to those with the best stats (with some variation). They're trying to lure those with the stats to go to higher ranked schools to go to UMich, so they offer a sweeeet package.

LawTweet

Bronze

Postby LawTweet » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:09 pm

feefeeriri wrote:Hey, long time lurker, but finally made an account.

My stats are not spectacular and I got an interview. 25<GPA<50 and LSAT 170 and not a URM. I get the feeling at least getting an interview isn't entirely stats-based.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:46 pm

FeLiPeeee

New

Postby FeLiPeeee » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:49 pm

I applied in early September and haven't heard anything since. 171/3.85. Thinking about just withdrawing my application so I have one less pending app.

Sorry, haven't read through this entire thread - has anyone else been waiting this long to get a decision?

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:49 pm

FeLiPeeee wrote:I applied in early September and haven't heard anything since. 171/3.85. Thinking about just withdrawing my application so I have one less pending app.

Sorry, haven't read through this entire thread - has anyone else been waiting this long to get a decision?

Why would you think about withdrawing just because they didn't answer by the middle of January?

Smc1994

Silver

Postby Smc1994 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:51 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
FeLiPeeee wrote:I applied in early September and haven't heard anything since. 171/3.85. Thinking about just withdrawing my application so I have one less pending app.

Why would you think about withdrawing just because they didn't answer by the middle of January?

Seconded. Even with a fee waiver, you've already spent the money to submit the application.

FeLiPeeee

New

Postby FeLiPeeee » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:59 pm

Smc1994 wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:

Seconded. Even with a fee waiver, you've already spent the money to submit the application.

Just wondering if anyone else has been waiting this long. Would withdraw if this long wait likely indicates a wait list, because I'd rather free up the space for someone who would actually want to attend.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:03 pm

FeLiPeeee wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:

Just wondering if anyone else has been waiting this long. Would withdraw if this long wait likely indicates a wait list, because I'd rather free up the space for someone who would actually want to attend.

I still do not understand. You have no idea what it means. Even if it meant that you get waitlisted, there is no reason to not wait and see.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Postby NotAGolfer » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:07 pm

jjcorvino wrote:Anyone see their tweet?

https://twitter.com/UMichLawAdmit/statu ... 3598213120

I needed this reminder, feels like I've been waiting forever for my scholly offer. Trying to be zen during this process is somewhat of an impossible task though

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?