Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

If accepted, how likely are you to attend?

Are you kidding? It's my first choice. Consider my seat deposit sent.
15%
It's high on my list but it's not THE school I'm waiting to hear back from.
27%
It's high on my list, but I can probably be swayed by more money from another school.
25%
Meh... I applied because it's a T14 - we'll see how my cycle goes.
20%
Really just plan on using it for scholarship negotiation purposes.
8%
Still feel really unsure. I'll probably visit or go to ASW to get a better feel for the school/location.
6%

Total votes: 305

lsa16

Bronze

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Post by lsa16 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:04 pm

NotAGolfer wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:How many LORs did you all submit? I know they require 1 but recommend 3. I have my app ready to go and 2 LORs ready, but my 3rd recommender is being really flaky. I'm wondering if it's really worth holding up my app for the 3rd LOR or if I should just submit with the 2.

Also, did anyone else not do a Why Mich essay because they wanted to answer 2 other questions instead? I have an Academic Record essay related to an illness I had in undergrad as well as a Diversity essay that I think are really important. Since they limit you to two I'm not planning on submitting a Why Mich essay. Is this a huge mistake?
bump
This is just speculation, but I imagine with that much written material they will be able to tell if you are a good fit for the school without a specific Why Michigan essay....and I tend to think that the 'Why X' essays are generally at least in part just there to see if someone cares enough to write another page - if you are submitting two different optional essays you are still demonstrating that. Again, not an expert though.

In terms of LORs, it depends on what content you think you are missing. My slowest recommender was a professor from my master's program, but because she was the only one writing about that time period in my life I felt it was important to wait. If you are waiting on one of two from different undergrad professors (or some similar situation), maybe that isn't as important?

forum_user

Silver

Post by forum_user » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:27 am

To try and get TT back on track, can we all appreciate for a second how hip and savvy Michigan's outreach is? I.e. their status check email: If there's an error on your page, "we must conclude that someone blew it.... Heads will, of course, roll." :lol:

Definitely makes them feel so much more approachable and less stuffy. It's a little thing, but totally bumps them up a notch in my book.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:28 am

lsa16 wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:How many LORs did you all submit? I know they require 1 but recommend 3. I have my app ready to go and 2 LORs ready, but my 3rd recommender is being really flaky. I'm wondering if it's really worth holding up my app for the 3rd LOR or if I should just submit with the 2.

Also, did anyone else not do a Why Mich essay because they wanted to answer 2 other questions instead? I have an Academic Record essay related to an illness I had in undergrad as well as a Diversity essay that I think are really important. Since they limit you to two I'm not planning on submitting a Why Mich essay. Is this a huge mistake?
bump
This is just speculation, but I imagine with that much written material they will be able to tell if you are a good fit for the school without a specific Why Michigan essay....and I tend to think that the 'Why X' essays are generally at least in part just there to see if someone cares enough to write another page - if you are submitting two different optional essays you are still demonstrating that. Again, not an expert though.

In terms of LORs, it depends on what content you think you are missing. My slowest recommender was a professor from my master's program, but because she was the only one writing about that time period in my life I felt it was important to wait. If you are waiting on one of two from different undergrad professors (or some similar situation), maybe that isn't as important?
Thanks. Yeah, I'm waiting on a second undergrad professor (I already have one UG prof LOR and one employer LOR). Not sure how much a 3rd letter would really add or not.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:27 pm

forum_user wrote:To try and get TT back on track, can we all appreciate for a second how hip and savvy Michigan's outreach is? I.e. their status check email: If there's an error on your page, "we must conclude that someone blew it.... Heads will, of course, roll." :lol:

Definitely makes them feel so much more approachable and less stuffy. It's a little thing, but totally bumps them up a notch in my book.
They got kudos from me when I got that nice packet in the mail with that 100 reasons to pick UMich thing :lol:

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:38 pm

I haven't received a fee waiver from Michigan, or that mailed packet. Do they accept solicitations? Wondering why I haven't heard from them :( It would be nice to learn more about the school - they've never emailed me and emails are actually the first thing I check when I'm researching a school I'm interested in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lsa16

Bronze

Post by lsa16 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:02 am

Keilz wrote:I haven't received a fee waiver from Michigan, or that mailed packet. Do they accept solicitations? Wondering why I haven't heard from them :( It would be nice to learn more about the school - they've never emailed me and emails are actually the first thing I check when I'm researching a school I'm interested in.
Did you just recently create an LSAC account? If they do periodic searches through the CRS system maybe you weren't yet registered last time they did one. I imagine you can email and ask for electronic versions of their promotional materials at the very least.

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:29 am

lsa16 wrote:
Keilz wrote:I haven't received a fee waiver from Michigan, or that mailed packet. Do they accept solicitations? Wondering why I haven't heard from them :( It would be nice to learn more about the school - they've never emailed me and emails are actually the first thing I check when I'm researching a school I'm interested in.
Did you just recently create an LSAC account? If they do periodic searches through the CRS system maybe you weren't yet registered last time they did one. I imagine you can email and ask for electronic versions of their promotional materials at the very least.
Nope, had one for years and I've gotten a fee waiver from every T20 except HYS Columbia. Do you know if they accept solicitations?

lsa16

Bronze

Post by lsa16 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:32 am

Keilz wrote:
lsa16 wrote:
Nope, had one for years and I've gotten a fee waiver from every T20 except HYS Columbia. Do you know if they accept solicitations?
Hm. :( No, I'm not sure, sorry. I would guess that as long as you're polite about it they wouldn't mind you at least asking for one even if they ultimately say no for some reason, especially because the admissions department seems pretty down to earth based on their emails and promo material, but maybe better to take advice from someone who's tried to solicit before.

asuddenarborealstop

New

Post by asuddenarborealstop » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:26 am

Keilz wrote:
lsa16 wrote:
I successfully solicited. They were very quick to respond.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:50 pm

asuddenarborealstop wrote:
Keilz wrote:
lsa16 wrote:
I successfully solicited. They were very quick to respond.
Thanks for the reply. They said if I was registered for CRS and qualified it would appear, but my app doesn't say waived. I guess I'll wait to see if I have a hidden one but I doubt it.

longpig

Bronze

Post by longpig » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:55 pm

NotAGolfer wrote: Thanks. Yeah, I'm waiting on a second undergrad professor (I already have one UG prof LOR and one employer LOR). Not sure how much a 3rd letter would really add or not.
I'm wondering about this too. I'm just gonna get an employer LOR and I'm honestly pretty sure she's gonna write more or less a form letter. Should i even bother submitting it? like does it actually look bad if the LOR is that un-personal?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:10 pm

longpig wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote: Thanks. Yeah, I'm waiting on a second undergrad professor (I already have one UG prof LOR and one employer LOR). Not sure how much a 3rd letter would really add or not.
I'm wondering about this too. I'm just gonna get an employer LOR and I'm honestly pretty sure she's gonna write more or less a form letter. Should i even bother submitting it? like does it actually look bad if the LOR is that un-personal?

I feel like an impersonal letter just doesn't add anything to your app because they're looking for more insight into you through the LORs

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:04 am

What's the consensus on optional essays? Is it detrimental to not include one?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:18 am

Keilz wrote:What's the consensus on optional essays? Is it detrimental to not include one?
I heard for Mich you should include a Why Mich essay

Bronze

Post by 88234 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:03 pm

Any thoughts on when they'll start coming out this year?

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:29 pm

88234 wrote:Any thoughts on when they'll start coming out this year?
Based on the mylsn.info timeline charts, the first acceptances start to roll out in November.

Earlskies

Bronze

Post by Earlskies » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:44 pm

88234 wrote:Any thoughts on when they'll start coming out this year?
Monday

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:02 am

Keilz wrote:What's the consensus on optional essays? Is it detrimental to not include one?
I think there's certain schools that like to see them (UVA, Penn, here) but I'm not sure if it's DETRIMENTAL to not include one.

notsolawful

Bronze

Post by notsolawful » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:32 am

Joining the Michigan thread. Definitely in my top 2 schools. I would ideally like to find out before the new year.

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:22 pm

Anyone get a decision? It seems like the first decisions have come out right around now in past cycles.

lawcapture

Bronze

Post by lawcapture » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:50 pm

curry1 wrote:Anyone get a decision? It seems like the first decisions have come out right around now in past cycles.
not yet... last year the emails went out at midnight on 11/3 I believe. I'm thinking either midnight tonight, 3pmish tomorrow, or Friday midnight. You are right, based on past cycles I'd be shocked if there are no decision waves this week.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:00 pm

Just pressed go on my application. Time to watch for those decision waves over the next few weeks. 8)

Lawschool305

Bronze

Post by Lawschool305 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:03 pm

lawcapture wrote:
curry1 wrote:Anyone get a decision? It seems like the first decisions have come out right around now in past cycles.
not yet... last year the emails went out at midnight on 11/3 I believe. I'm thinking either midnight tonight, 3pmish tomorrow, or Friday midnight. You are right, based on past cycles I'd be shocked if there are no decision waves this week.
Great now you gave me something to think about all week lol!

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:19 pm

Last edited by TexasENG on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

notsolawful

Bronze

Post by notsolawful » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:30 pm

TexasENG wrote:
Lawschool305 wrote:
lawcapture wrote:
Great now you gave me something to think about all week lol!
Hmm, hope to here something or at least see some movement on the tracker soon.
I wish I submitted in September now. I just got my status checker recently and not even complete. Good luck to all of you! You gonna kill it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”