Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

If accepted, how likely are you to attend?

Are you kidding? It's my first choice. Consider my seat deposit sent.
15%
It's high on my list but it's not THE school I'm waiting to hear back from.
27%
It's high on my list, but I can probably be swayed by more money from another school.
25%
Meh... I applied because it's a T14 - we'll see how my cycle goes.
20%
Really just plan on using it for scholarship negotiation purposes.
8%
Still feel really unsure. I'll probably visit or go to ASW to get a better feel for the school/location.
6%

Total votes: 305

Kangaroo_Court

Bronze

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Post by Kangaroo_Court » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:28 pm

Last edited by Kangaroo_Court on Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sarastro

Bronze

Post by Sarastro » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:49 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Sarastro wrote:
Keilz wrote:
people wrote:things
I think schools get more apps a day as the year progresses. Most people apply after thanksgiving. However, the admissions offices tend to travel until thanksgiving so maybe there was less time in the office to input and review.
I stand corrected! If that's the case then it is weird how radically different app times have been lately. All I can say is it's not LSAT. Some combination of LSAT + GPA maybe.
In an interview with Dean Z, she said most apps are submitted after Jan 1st, which I thought was surprising!
Did she mention me?
Last edited by Sarastro on Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:12 pm

Kangaroo_Court wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Sarastro wrote:
Keilz wrote:
I think schools get more apps a day as the year progresses. Most people apply after thanksgiving. However, the admissions offices tend to travel until thanksgiving so maybe there was less time in the office to input and review.
I stand corrected! If that's the case then it is weird how radically different app times have been lately. All I can say is it's not LSAT. Some combination of LSAT + GPA maybe.
In an interview with Dean Z, she said most apps are submitted after Jan 1st, which I thought was surprising!
You had an interview with Dean Z?? I'm assuming for Darrow? Do spill
LOL no I meant like in an interview I read online!! :lol:

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:20 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Sarastro wrote:
Keilz wrote:
Well I did remember seeing something on here at some point saying what's considered late to TLSers is when most people actually submit. Like pre-Thanksgiving is "early" to us and pre-Christmas is like "on time" but that's because we're all a bunch of overachievers :lol:

acz26

Bronze

Post by acz26 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:21 pm

Post removed
Last edited by acz26 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kangaroo_Court

Bronze

Post by Kangaroo_Court » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:04 pm

Last edited by Kangaroo_Court on Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:40 pm

Last edited by RedPurpleBlue on Fri May 12, 2017 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:20 am

RedPurpleBlue wrote:This may be a stupid question, but can out-of-state students qualify for in-state tuition for 2L and 3L, assuming I am renting an apartment in Michigan? I went to a private UG, so I never really thought about how/if that would work.
Idk if you could if you're renting. These rules vary by state though so someone else may be better informed but I know in NC, I only ended up qualifying for in-state because my dad still owned some NC property & paid the NC taxes.

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:37 am

RedPurpleBlue wrote:This may be a stupid question, but can out-of-state students qualify for in-state tuition for 2L and 3L, assuming I am renting an apartment in Michigan? I went to a private UG, so I never really thought about how/if that would work.
In Oregon you can't take a full-time course load and gain residency. Something similar might be true in Michigan.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:59 am

you can do this at UCLA after a year, but it depends on the state. just call and ask.

UghNonAmus

New

Post by UghNonAmus » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:13 am

proteinshake wrote:
you can do this at UCLA after a year, but it depends on the state. just call and ask.
Also, as someone who is a resident and starting Summer '17, the difference is like 3K a year. The law school is pretty much private unlike some other states.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:27 am

New poll!

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:46 am

Last edited by chargers21 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:16 am

I highly doubt it. I'm from Michigan (attended all school through high school there, was my permanent residence throughout college), parents have lived in Michigan their whole lives, and my sister currently attends Michigan as an undergrad paying in-state tuition and I had to fill out an in-state application because I've lived outside of Michigan since April. Application entailed copies of my drivers license (from Michigan!) and both my parents' as well as all of their state and federal tax info. It says on the residency page that "continuous physical presence in Michigan for one year or more" and owning "property or pay[ing] Michigan property taxes," are not solid claims to Michigan residency. http://ro.umich.edu/resreg.php

The good news is that it barely matters!

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:34 am

I suppose I should have joined/posted sooner! Went Complete 12/02 (which took a while), Accepted 12/16. Anybody else a summer starter?? :D

lsa16

Bronze

Post by lsa16 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:44 pm

S.Picquery wrote:I suppose I should have joined/posted sooner! Went Complete 12/02 (which took a while), Accepted 12/16. Anybody else a summer starter?? :D
I am! Was surprised by it but kind of like the idea now

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Post by Bob loblaw law blog » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:38 pm

So I'm seriously considering going here for a variety of reasons (family, decent scholly I'm hoping to negotiate up a bit, proximity to chi, public interest rep...) But I do have a bit of a nagging worry. I'm fairly conservative in my political views, and while people say that politics don't come up much in law school (which I personally think is a good thing), Michigan seems to have a reputation for being exceptionally liberal. Not like, Berkeley liberal, but still. I'm by no means a true believer (I was not at all happy with the results of the election) or someone who's incapable of seeing the other side, but I am a little worried people here might just reflexively dislike me because I don't always share the same beliefs as them. Is that fear unfounded?

I'm not trying to make this a political argument, so I'd appreciate if people would avoid starting one. I just want if the descriptions of Michigan I've heard from some people ( "a special kind of hell for conservatives" ) are overblown, as I suspect they are, or something worth taking into serious consideration when making my decision. I do not think being more liberal makes a school any better or worse.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:11 pm

Bob loblaw law blog wrote:So I'm seriously considering going here for a variety of reasons (family, decent scholly I'm hoping to negotiate up a bit, proximity to chi, public interest rep...) But I do have a bit of a nagging worry. I'm fairly conservative in my political views, and while people say that politics don't come up much in law school (which I personally think is a good thing), Michigan seems to have a reputation for being exceptionally liberal. Not like, Berkeley liberal, but still. I'm by no means a true believer (I was not at all happy with the results of the election) or someone who's incapable of seeing the other side, but I am a little worried people here might just reflexively dislike me because I don't always share the same beliefs as them. Is that fear unfounded?

I'm not trying to make this a political argument, so I'd appreciate if people would avoid starting one. I just want if the descriptions of Michigan I've heard from some people ( "a special kind of hell for conservatives" ) are overblown, as I suspect they are, or something worth taking into serious consideration when making my decision. I do not think being more liberal makes a school any better or worse.
I feel like you would need to go to the ASW in order to talk to current students directly. Maybe see if you can talk to members of a republican/conservative group on campus. I don't think the applicants thread would be filled with people who have a definitive feel of how the campus attitude is

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:00 pm

Keilz wrote:
Bob loblaw law blog wrote:So I'm seriously considering going here for a variety of reasons (family, decent scholly I'm hoping to negotiate up a bit, proximity to chi, public interest rep...) But I do have a bit of a nagging worry. I'm fairly conservative in my political views, and while people say that politics don't come up much in law school (which I personally think is a good thing), Michigan seems to have a reputation for being exceptionally liberal. Not like, Berkeley liberal, but still. I'm by no means a true believer (I was not at all happy with the results of the election) or someone who's incapable of seeing the other side, but I am a little worried people here might just reflexively dislike me because I don't always share the same beliefs as them. Is that fear unfounded?

I feel like you would need to go to the ASW in order to talk to current students directly. Maybe see if you can talk to members of a republican/conservative group on campus. I don't think the applicants thread would be filled with people who have a definitive feel of how the campus attitude is
If you're admitted, they may have a admitted students FB. Usually they have current students that post and introduce themselves and you could probably reach out to them.

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:03 pm

I think your fear is unfounded. I've never heard about Michigan's reputation for being exceptionally liberal compared to the rest of the T14. I'd recommend asking admissions to connect you with some people in FedSoc so you can talk to some conservative students. FWIW, I'm very liberal and many of my best friends at Michigan were conservatives. People certainly won't reflexively dislike you unless you're someone who interjects their opinion where it doesn't belong etc. (which goes for people on both sides of the aisle).
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Post by Bob loblaw law blog » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:16 pm

blueapple wrote:

I think your fear is unfounded. I've never heard about Michigan's reputation for being exceptionally liberal compared to the rest of the T14. I'd recommend asking admissions to connect you with some people in FedSoc so you can talk to some conservative students. FWIW, I'm very liberal and many of my best friends at Michigan were conservatives. People certainly won't reflexively dislike you unless you're someone who interjects their opinion where it doesn't belong etc. (which goes for people on both sides of the aisle).

That's kinda what I thought. Many of the people that have said those kinds of things to me are exactly the unpleasant sort you describe. It good to hear that my fears were unfounded, and I'll definitely talk to admissions about getting in touch with someone, that's a great idea.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:07 pm

If you're admitted, they may have a admitted students FB. Usually they have current students that post and introduce themselves and you could probably reach out to them.[/quote]

They do, and it would be their perfect place. There have already been a few posts from Admits and I know PMs have happened as well :)

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:09 pm

lsa16 wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:I suppose I should have joined/posted sooner! Went Complete 12/02 (which took a while), Accepted 12/16. Anybody else a summer starter?? :D
I am! Was surprised by it but kind of like the idea now
It just seems so much less stressful, y'know? Plus I've been working for quite a while now and annoy wait to go back to school tbh.

lsa16

Bronze

Post by lsa16 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:25 pm

Bob loblaw law blog wrote:
blueapple wrote:

That's kinda what I thought. Many of the people that have said those kinds of things to me are exactly the unpleasant sort you describe. It good to hear that my fears were unfounded, and I'll definitely talk to admissions about getting in touch with someone, that's a great idea.
I've seen questions like this on a couple forums and just want to throw out the thought that attending an institution where your politics differ from the majority (or from the loudest subset...) might be an explicitly positive thing for everyone involved...personal opinion that too many people on both sides were stuck in echo-chambers over the course of this last election. Not that you don't have the right to worry about how you will be received because of your views. Best of luck on ultimately making the decision. :)

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Post by Bob loblaw law blog » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:27 pm

lsa16 wrote:
Bob loblaw law blog wrote:
blueapple wrote:

I've seen questions like this on a couple forums and just want to throw out the thought that attending an institution where your politics differ from the majority (or from the loudest subset...) might be an explicitly positive thing for everyone involved...personal opinion that too many people on both sides were stuck in echo-chambers over the course of this last election. Not that you don't have the right to worry about how you will be received because of your views. Best of luck on ultimately making the decision. :)
I completely agree, it was more "people will hate me without trying to get to know me" thing I worry about. I actually attend an pretty left leaning institution already and it's been awesome. I don't think I've ever had a conservative prof (or more than a handful of students) in either of my majors, but it has never been an issue. It's good to hear Mich has a similar thing going on.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”