Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

It's decision szn... How are you holding up?

I'm freaking out
6%
I'm freaking out!
3%
I'M FREAKING OUT!!!!!
8%
I. AM. FREAK-ING. OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
28%
Why did anyone ever give us status checkers? I can't stop looking at the stupid things!
17%
Eh.. I'm doing okay actually...
37%

Total votes: 206

ad34964n

Bronze

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ad34964n » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:53 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:Last year the acceptances came at 2:30 pm.

Note that two years ago, first RD decisions appear to have been released on Wednesday, Jan 21, two days after MLK day. OBBBBVIOUSLY I'd prefer something today, but seems like based on the trend, this is our week people!

sigree

Bronze

Postby sigree » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:02 pm

Have there ever been acceptances without an interview - middle/lower stats 170/3.9 from a community college.

ad34964n

Bronze

Postby ad34964n » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:02 pm

sigree wrote:Have there ever been acceptances without an interview - middle/lower stats 170/3.9 from a community college.

Plenty in the last 2 years

sigree

Bronze

Postby sigree » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:03 pm

ad34964n wrote:
sigree wrote:Have there ever been acceptances without an interview - middle/lower stats 170/3.9 from a community college.

Plenty in the last 2 years

There's hope!

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:45 pm

Maybe a wave tomorrow?

Thelaw23

Silver

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:47 pm

So two years ago the first wave was sent out in emails starting at 6:06 PM.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:49 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:So two years ago the first wave was sent out in emails starting at 6:06 PM.

eastern?

Thelaw23

Silver

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:52 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:So two years ago the first wave was sent out in emails starting at 6:06 PM.

eastern?

Yep

tomgirl

New

Postby tomgirl » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:53 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
R. Jeeves wrote:

eastern?

Yep

On the day after MLK?

Thelaw23

Silver

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:55 pm

tomgirl wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
R. Jeeves wrote:

eastern?

Yep

On the day after MLK?

In 2015 it was two days after MLK. 2016 It was 1 day after, which was why benwyatt thinks there is a possible chance of decisions coming today.
At the same time, though, MLK is much earlier this year than those other years. Also, some people stated that their interviewers told them decisions will come "towards the end of January".

I think we're still sort of in the middle of January now.

theothercat

Bronze

Postby theothercat » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:58 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
tomgirl wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
R. Jeeves wrote:

eastern?

Yep

On the day after MLK?

In 2015 it was two days after MLK. 2016 It was 1 day after, which was why benwyatt thinks there is a possible chance of decisions coming today.
At the same time, though, MLK is much earlier this year than those other years. Also, some people stated that their interviewers told them decisions will come "towards the end of January".

FWIW, I had my interview in late December, and my interviewer told me decisions would be coming "very soon, but definitely in 2017."

Edit: The "very soon" is the part she emphasized. Obviously decisions are coming in 2017... :lol:
I hope.
Last edited by theothercat on Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thelaw23

Silver

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:59 pm

theothercat wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
tomgirl wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
R. Jeeves wrote:

eastern?

Yep

On the day after MLK?

FWIW, I had my interview in late December, and my interviewer told me decisions would be coming "very soon, but definitely in 2017."

Damn bruh you just gave me an adrenaline rush :lol:

LenaFarrer

New

Postby LenaFarrer » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:04 pm

theothercat wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
tomgirl wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
R. Jeeves wrote:

eastern?

Yep

On the day after MLK?

Edit: The "very soon" is the part she emphasized. Obviously decisions are coming in 2017... :lol:
I hope.

lol
My interviewer told me that the results would come out in January or February. I think that fits the "very soon" range.

VapidP

Bronze

Postby VapidP » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:15 pm

LenaFarrer wrote:
theothercat wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
tomgirl wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
R. Jeeves wrote:

eastern?

Yep

On the day after MLK?

I hope.

lol
My interviewer told me that the results would come out in January or February. I think that fits the "very soon" range.

FWIW, my interviewer told me that end of Jan/early Feb is when decisions come start and they go until March/April and that based on my complete date (end of nov) I should expect to hear closer to Jan/Feb. The March/April people are for the ones that apply near the end of January.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:23 pm

Last year's thread gives a ton of credence to what VapidP is saying re: timeline.

Also anyone freaking out about not having an interview should not be. even stats-wise I was surprised to see that below median candidates without interviews and non-URM status were admitted without interview.

what's scary is that there were several interviewed applicants above both or one 75th who were placed on reserve.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:28 pm

mm2368 wrote:Last year's thread gives a ton of credence to what VapidP is saying re: timeline.

Also anyone freaking out about not having an interview should not be. even stats-wise I was surprised to see that below median candidates without interviews and non-URM status were admitted without interview.

what's scary is that there were several interviewed applicants above both or one 75th who were placed on reserve.

I appreciate the fact that you took the time to look at last year's thread for all of this.

When Vapid said the stuff about mid-/late-Nov. should be expecting to hear back soonest, I was like "OH NO, I HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING SINCE I WENT COMPLETE" lol. Columbia is a reach for me either way; my GPA is blah and my LSAT is one point below their 25th... Here's to hoping my URM status helps me out!

I wonder how many of those placed on reserve sent LOCIs and then were accepted though... If it was common, I'd imagine it being a method of YP.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:36 pm

brinicolec wrote: I appreciate the fact that you took the time to look at last year's thread for all of this.

When Vapid said the stuff about mid-/late-Nov. should be expecting to hear back soonest, I was like "OH NO, I HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING SINCE I WENT COMPLETE" lol. Columbia is a reach for me either way; my GPA is blah and my LSAT is one point below their 25th... Here's to hoping my URM status helps me out!

I wonder how many of those placed on reserve sent LOCIs and then were accepted though... If it was common, I'd imagine it being a method of YP.

Hey, it could definitely help! And don't knock yourself, you've got a shot like anyone else. It wasn't necessarily common, I guess - it was just surprising to see people whom you think numerically are strong candidates get waitlisted. there was a February acceptance for someone who applied in October who had had no interview - s/he is my hero.

In other words CLS is more of a black box than any of us realizes. Each applicant likely is assigned to a reader, and that reader can choose whether to interview you or not. Who knows!?

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:38 pm

I just got an email from Columbia asking me to elaborate upon why I want them to wait until my February LSAT score before making a decision. I feel like that's kind of obvious, but I just explained that I want to increase my chances of admission and merit-based financial aid. I also explained that because of my wedding and prior-planned travel, I was unable to sit for both the September and December tests.

Should I also say something along the lines of: if the admissions committee has already decided to admit me, you can ignore my request to wait? Or does that sound silly/dumb/ridiculous? For the record, I have already interviewed with Columbia and think the interview went really well.

Any help is much appreciated!!!

hellohalo

Silver

Postby hellohalo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:45 pm

airwrecka wrote:I just got an email from Columbia asking me to elaborate upon why I want them to wait until my February LSAT score before making a decision. I feel like that's kind of obvious, but I just explained that I want to increase my chances of admission and merit-based financial aid. I also explained that because of my wedding and prior-planned travel, I was unable to sit for both the September and December tests.

Should I also say something along the lines of: if the admissions committee has already decided to admit me, you can ignore my request to wait? Or does that sound silly/dumb/ridiculous? For the record, I have already interviewed with Columbia and think the interview went really well.

Don't say this

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:47 pm

hellohalo wrote:
airwrecka wrote:I just got an email from Columbia asking me to elaborate upon why I want them to wait until my February LSAT score before making a decision. I feel like that's kind of obvious, but I just explained that I want to increase my chances of admission and merit-based financial aid. I also explained that because of my wedding and prior-planned travel, I was unable to sit for both the September and December tests.

Don't say this

OK, thank you for the advice...why? Not saying I disagree, I just don't see why that is something I shouldn't say. Also, thoughts on the bolded statement? I can't decide if it's a crazy stupid idea or something worthwhile. (it's been a long day and my brain is not functioning at maximum capacity)
Last edited by airwrecka on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

forum_user

Silver

Postby forum_user » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:47 pm

airwrecka wrote:Any help is much appreciated!!!

This is interesting. What are your chances according to mylsn?

Based on what I was told by my interviewer, the adcomm meets in January to make decisions, and then they release those decisions at some later date. This is purely speculation, but my guess would be, based on their response to you, they've already made a decision on you, in which case I would reconsider asking them to hold your application. At this point in the process they're probably not going to ding anyone, so the decision is either admit or WL. If the former, you're good already; if the latter, then they're "holding" your application anyways. By March when you get your new score, you'll still be negotiating/getting scholarship offers anyways.

So basically, I'd say wait and see how it plays out with Columbia. I don't think you have much to lose.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:49 pm

forum_user wrote:

Based on what I was told by my interviewer, the adcomm meets in January to make decisions, and then they release those decisions at some later date. This is purely speculation, but my guess would be, based on their response to you, they've already made a decision on you, in which case I would reconsider asking them to hold your application. At this point in the process they're probably not going to ding anyone, so the decision is either admit or WL. If the former, you're good already; if the latter, then they're "holding" your application anyways. By March when you get your new score, you'll still be negotiating/getting scholarship offers anyways.

So basically, I'd say wait and see how it plays out with Columbia. I don't think you have much to lose.

I have a 170 right now, so I'm not in a terrible place, but not in an awesome one, either. I wasn't actually going to hold my app, but then I freaked and second-guessed myself this weekend and emailed them asking it to hold it. If I change my mind and decide to proceed with my current score, should I just say that in response to the email? Like "Upon further consideration, I don't want you to hold my application. Please make a decision as the admissions dept sees fit."?

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:51 pm

forum_user wrote:

and to specifically answer your question, mylsn puts me at about a 45% chance of admission with the 170

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:52 pm

forum_user wrote:

What's your reasoning behind the bolded portion?

ottovon

New

Postby ottovon » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:55 pm

Did everyone submit their transcripts from studying abroad? I went to an information session at Columbia last week and the Director of Admissions encouraged us to send them and said I could just send a pdf of the official transcript. I did so and then got an email saying they "also require your institution to send a hard copy of the transcript directly to our office." This would be a bit of a hassle for me and my status checker still shows my application as complete. Do you think not having the hard copy will hold up a decision?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?