Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

It's decision szn... How are you holding up?

I'm freaking out
12
6%
I'm freaking out!
7
3%
I'M FREAKING OUT!!!!!
17
8%
I. AM. FREAK-ING. OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
58
28%
Why did anyone ever give us status checkers? I can't stop looking at the stupid things!
36
17%
Eh.. I'm doing okay actually...
76
37%
 
Total votes: 206

curry1

Silver
Posts: 879
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:41 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby curry1 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:38 pm

RictusErectus wrote:Had my interview today with Jeb Butler, the Director of Admissions. He was really warm and made me feel at ease. 13/10 for interviewing skillz.

The conversation took a little over 20 minutes, of which 15 was for his questions. He gave an extremely detailed and encouraging answer to one question I asked. His questions were not intimidating at all: asked me about my most recent educational program, why I wanted to come to Columbia, a bit about my work experience, and also something about me as a person beyond what my letters of rec said.

Said decisions would begin coming out by the end of January, but all the people who've interviewed already should expect word soon-ish.



as in somewhat before the end of january?

User avatar
RictusErectus

Bronze
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:31 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby RictusErectus » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:54 pm

curry1 wrote:
RictusErectus wrote:Said decisions would begin coming out by the end of January, but all the people who've interviewed already should expect word soon-ish.


as in somewhat before the end of january?


Yeah, what he implied was that while decisions will be going out between end of January and April, the people who've already interviewed will hear back on the "end of January" side of things -- so basically among the initial waves.

User avatar
dietcoke1

Silver
Posts: 1326
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby dietcoke1 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:56 pm

RictusErectus wrote:
curry1 wrote:
RictusErectus wrote:Said decisions would begin coming out by the end of January, but all the people who've interviewed already should expect word soon-ish.


as in somewhat before the end of january?


Yeah, what he implied was that while decisions will be going out between end of January and April, the people who've already interviewed will hear back on the "end of January" side of things -- so basically among the initial waves.


anyone know if there were WL/dings in the first wave last year?

User avatar
airwrecka

Silver
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby airwrecka » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:27 am

RictusErectus wrote:Had my interview today with Jeb Butler, the Director of Admissions. He was really warm and made me feel at ease. 13/10 for interviewing skillz.

The conversation took a little over 20 minutes, of which 15 was for his questions. He gave an extremely detailed and encouraging answer to one question I asked. His questions were not intimidating at all: asked me about my most recent educational program, why I wanted to come to Columbia, a bit about my work experience, and also something about me as a person beyond what my letters of rec said.

Said decisions would begin coming out by the end of January, but all the people who've interviewed already should expect word soon-ish.


This has cause me so much excitement!! Hopefully it's good news I hear!

beantheshadow

Bronze
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 3:05 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby beantheshadow » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:21 pm

RictusErectus wrote:Had my interview today with Jeb Butler, the Director of Admissions. He was really warm and made me feel at ease. 13/10 for interviewing skillz.

The conversation took a little over 20 minutes, of which 15 was for his questions. He gave an extremely detailed and encouraging answer to one question I asked. His questions were not intimidating at all: asked me about my most recent educational program, why I wanted to come to Columbia, a bit about my work experience, and also something about me as a person beyond what my letters of rec said.

Said decisions would begin coming out by the end of January, but all the people who've interviewed already should expect word soon-ish.



omg omg omg omg omg omg! :shock:

User avatar
hammy393

Bronze
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby hammy393 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:10 pm

RictusErectus wrote:Had my interview today with Jeb Butler, the Director of Admissions. He was really warm and made me feel at ease. 13/10 for interviewing skillz.

The conversation took a little over 20 minutes, of which 15 was for his questions. He gave an extremely detailed and encouraging answer to one question I asked. His questions were not intimidating at all: asked me about my most recent educational program, why I wanted to come to Columbia, a bit about my work experience, and also something about me as a person beyond what my letters of rec said.

Said decisions would begin coming out by the end of January, but all the people who've interviewed already should expect word soon-ish.


Was he implying that those who've interviewed already would hear back before the end of January?

User avatar
notorious_mig

Bronze
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:25 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby notorious_mig » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:48 pm

Hi friends qq do we know roughly what percentage of interviewees get accepted? I know an interview is not a ~necessary condition~ (ew I hate me too) for acceptance at Columbia but I was wondering if we had any idea or if we* just want to speculate

*I'm using the royal we. ~I~ want to speculate

harmcharm

New
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:26 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby harmcharm » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:58 pm

notorious_mig wrote:Hi friends qq do we know roughly what percentage of interviewees get accepted? I know an interview is not a ~necessary condition~ (ew I hate me too) for acceptance at Columbia but I was wondering if we had any idea or if we* just want to speculate

*I'm using the royal we. ~I~ want to speculate


Nope, absolutely zero consensus. Not only is CLS less upfront about ratios than Harvard (the only school I can think of with a solid percentage), but they seem to be interviewing a LOT more people than usual this year, certainly more than the on the usual edge of admission/scholarship consideration crowd.

User avatar
notorious_mig

Bronze
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:25 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby notorious_mig » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:29 pm

harmcharm wrote:
notorious_mig wrote:Hi friends qq do we know roughly what percentage of interviewees get accepted? I know an interview is not a ~necessary condition~ (ew I hate me too) for acceptance at Columbia but I was wondering if we had any idea or if we* just want to speculate

*I'm using the royal we. ~I~ want to speculate


Nope, absolutely zero consensus. Not only is CLS less upfront about ratios than Harvard (the only school I can think of with a solid percentage), but they seem to be interviewing a LOT more people than usual this year, certainly more than the on the usual edge of admission/scholarship consideration crowd.


Damn that makes my task of overanalysis more difficult then #damn

User avatar
freekick

Bronze
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:11 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby freekick » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:52 am

Checking in. Submitted today. LSAT just below median. GPA non-reportable/Superior. Another long shot.

User avatar
RictusErectus

Bronze
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:31 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby RictusErectus » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:25 pm

hammy393 wrote:Was he implying that those who've interviewed already would hear back before the end of January?


Yeah, or at least that those people would be among the initial waves.

addie1412

Silver
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby addie1412 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:51 am

interviewing today! :shock:

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:19 am

Curious, has anyone who (1) numerically, is an auto-admit and (2) applied early [Sept - Nov] NOT received an invitation to interview?

Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2318
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Keilz » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:22 am

mm2368 wrote:Curious, has anyone who (1) numerically, is an auto-admit and (2) applied early [Sept - Nov] NOT received an invitation to interview?


I just saw someone on LSN who has the exact same stats as me and applied the same month got an interview invite end of November. Nothing for me :( she was a STEM major and said her personal statement was really strong. We even have the same amount of work experience as paralegals lol.

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:26 am

Keilz wrote:I just saw someone on LSN who has the exact same stats as me and applied the same month got an interview invite end of November. Nothing for me :( she was a STEM major and said her personal statement was really strong. We even have the same amount of work experience as paralegals lol.


I don't know that this is cause for concern. I have a feeling TLS/LSN over-represent the category of applicants which is most likely to receive an interview invite. I'm sticking with what was said at the info session. While they're generally looking to interview more and more candidates with each new cycle, they're still just getting started on that process and many admits will not receive interview invites.

addie1412

Silver
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby addie1412 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:29 am

mm2368 wrote:Curious, has anyone who (1) numerically, is an auto-admit and (2) applied early [Sept - Nov] NOT received an invitation to interview?


From what I've seen, the really solid LSATs are getting interviews way more often than not

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:34 am

addie1412 wrote:
mm2368 wrote:Curious, has anyone who (1) numerically, is an auto-admit and (2) applied early [Sept - Nov] NOT received an invitation to interview?


From what I've seen, the really solid LSATs are getting interviews way more often than not


Totally makes sense that this would happen; perhaps these are "confirmation" interviews to ensure that the person isn't a total weirdo robot. I guess I'm just trying to determine whether not having an interview is truly a bad sign. This fear certainly might seem difficult to reconcile with what I just posted above literally 2 minutes ago, but that's admissions fear 101 for you.

Mackgal

Bronze
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:13 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Mackgal » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:59 pm

mm2368 wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
mm2368 wrote:Curious, has anyone who (1) numerically, is an auto-admit and (2) applied early [Sept - Nov] NOT received an invitation to interview?


From what I've seen, the really solid LSATs are getting interviews way more often than not


Totally makes sense that this would happen; perhaps these are "confirmation" interviews to ensure that the person isn't a total weirdo robot. I guess I'm just trying to determine whether not having an interview is truly a bad sign. This fear certainly might seem difficult to reconcile with what I just posted above literally 2 minutes ago, but that's admissions fear 101 for you.


Aslo URM seem to be getting interviews. I know I'm a URM and my whole interview just focused on my status. I think they're trying to make sure that no ones 1) lying about their status to get a bump 2) want to make sure that you'll contribute to diversity and fit in at the school

addie1412

Silver
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby addie1412 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:02 pm

mm2368 wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
mm2368 wrote:Curious, has anyone who (1) numerically, is an auto-admit and (2) applied early [Sept - Nov] NOT received an invitation to interview?


From what I've seen, the really solid LSATs are getting interviews way more often than not


Totally makes sense that this would happen; perhaps these are "confirmation" interviews to ensure that the person isn't a total weirdo robot. I guess I'm just trying to determine whether not having an interview is truly a bad sign. This fear certainly might seem difficult to reconcile with what I just posted above literally 2 minutes ago, but that's admissions fear 101 for you.


Honestly, I haven't seen anyone with borderline numbers (around 25ths, excluding URMs) get interviews, so it does seem like interviewees are those who being seriously considered. I certainly don't think it's a bad sign.

User avatar
notorious_mig

Bronze
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:25 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby notorious_mig » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:04 pm

Mackgal wrote:
mm2368 wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
mm2368 wrote:Curious, has anyone who (1) numerically, is an auto-admit and (2) applied early [Sept - Nov] NOT received an invitation to interview?


From what I've seen, the really solid LSATs are getting interviews way more often than not


Totally makes sense that this would happen; perhaps these are "confirmation" interviews to ensure that the person isn't a total weirdo robot. I guess I'm just trying to determine whether not having an interview is truly a bad sign. This fear certainly might seem difficult to reconcile with what I just posted above literally 2 minutes ago, but that's admissions fear 101 for you.


Aslo URM seem to be getting interviews. I know I'm a URM and my whole interview just focused on my status. I think they're trying to make sure that no ones 1) lying about their status to get a bump 2) want to make sure that you'll contribute to diversity and fit in at the school


Ooh this is interesting because I'm also URM but there were zero questions about my status in my interview. I brought it up as being part of the reason why I want to go into the field of law that I want to go into, but she didn't ask anything about it specifically. But also I'm between 25th and median for both LSAT and GPA so it may have been more of a "ok but are you COMPETENT" interview

User avatar
jjcorvino

Silver
Posts: 1456
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jjcorvino » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:07 pm

addie1412 wrote:
mm2368 wrote:Curious, has anyone who (1) numerically, is an auto-admit and (2) applied early [Sept - Nov] NOT received an invitation to interview?


From what I've seen, the really solid LSATs are getting interviews way more often than not


Just as a counterpoint, I haven't heard anything from Columbia :(

addie1412

Silver
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby addie1412 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:10 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
mm2368 wrote:Curious, has anyone who (1) numerically, is an auto-admit and (2) applied early [Sept - Nov] NOT received an invitation to interview?


From what I've seen, the really solid LSATs are getting interviews way more often than not


Just as a counterpoint, I haven't heard anything from Columbia :(


Right, so, I think if you get an interview, you're being seriously considered. Which is not to say that if you don't get an interview, you're NOT being seriously considered ;)

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:11 pm

addie1412 wrote:
mm2368 wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
mm2368 wrote:Curious, has anyone who (1) numerically, is an auto-admit and (2) applied early [Sept - Nov] NOT received an invitation to interview?


From what I've seen, the really solid LSATs are getting interviews way more often than not


Totally makes sense that this would happen; perhaps these are "confirmation" interviews to ensure that the person isn't a total weirdo robot. I guess I'm just trying to determine whether not having an interview is truly a bad sign. This fear certainly might seem difficult to reconcile with what I just posted above literally 2 minutes ago, but that's admissions fear 101 for you.


Honestly, I haven't seen anyone with borderline numbers (around 25ths, excluding URMs) get interviews, so it does seem like interviewees are those who being seriously considered. I certainly don't think it's a bad sign.


I don't think it could be a bad sign at all. I'm referring specifically to people with great stats who have not gotten interviews.

User avatar
jjcorvino

Silver
Posts: 1456
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jjcorvino » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:12 pm

addie1412 wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
mm2368 wrote:Curious, has anyone who (1) numerically, is an auto-admit and (2) applied early [Sept - Nov] NOT received an invitation to interview?


From what I've seen, the really solid LSATs are getting interviews way more often than not


Just as a counterpoint, I haven't heard anything from Columbia :(


Right, so, I think if you get an interview, you're being seriously considered. Which is not to say that if you don't get an interview, you're NOT being seriously considered ;)


That makes sense. I know you can get in without an interview, I just sort of wish I had one anyway to see where I am in the process.

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:15 pm

jjcorvino wrote: That makes sense. I know you can get in without an interview, I just sort of wish I had one anyway to see where I am in the process.


if anything, you're perfect proof of it. many qualified people will not be interviewed. I think that if an adcom's mind is made up about you, they've got no reason to interview. you could be a sure thing on paper, i.e. you sold yourself well enough where they don't need you to speak about it, too.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests