Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

It's decision szn... How are you holding up?

I'm freaking out
12
6%
I'm freaking out!
7
3%
I'M FREAKING OUT!!!!!
17
8%
I. AM. FREAK-ING. OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
58
28%
Why did anyone ever give us status checkers? I can't stop looking at the stupid things!
36
17%
Eh.. I'm doing okay actually...
76
37%
 
Total votes: 206

User avatar
Nickel94

Bronze
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:42 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Nickel94 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:25 pm

Baby Gaga wrote:This doesn't make any sense because I gots no happy holidays email and Lady Gaga has a christmas song


See you under my Christmas tree.

User avatar
jjcorvino

Silver
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jjcorvino » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:18 pm

LSAT scores and applicants are down across the board: https://twitter.com/SpiveyConsult

Applicants:
Applicants DOWN 5.1% Applications DOWN 1.7%.

LSAT:
165-169 (-18.8%)
170-174 (-2.0%)
175-180 ( -25.4%)

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby brinicolec » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:11 pm

jjcorvino wrote:LSAT scores and applicants are down across the board: https://twitter.com/SpiveyConsult

Applicants:
Applicants DOWN 5.1% Applications DOWN 1.7%.

LSAT:
165-169 (-18.8%)
170-174 (-2.0%)
175-180 ( -25.4%)



Hopefully the Dec. LSAT scores won't change this too much. One of his tweets said he thinks part of the reason applicants and apps are down is due to how many people scheduled to retake after the Sept. LSAT.

User avatar
jjcorvino

Silver
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jjcorvino » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:13 pm

brinicolec wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:LSAT scores and applicants are down across the board: https://twitter.com/SpiveyConsult

Applicants:
Applicants DOWN 5.1% Applications DOWN 1.7%.

LSAT:
165-169 (-18.8%)
170-174 (-2.0%)
175-180 ( -25.4%)



Hopefully the Dec. LSAT scores won't change this too much. One of his tweets said he thinks part of the reason applicants and apps are down is due to how many people scheduled to retake after the Sept. LSAT.


Yeah, Dec was up 15% or something right?

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby brinicolec » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:16 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:LSAT scores and applicants are down across the board: https://twitter.com/SpiveyConsult

Applicants:
Applicants DOWN 5.1% Applications DOWN 1.7%.

LSAT:
165-169 (-18.8%)
170-174 (-2.0%)
175-180 ( -25.4%)



Hopefully the Dec. LSAT scores won't change this too much. One of his tweets said he thinks part of the reason applicants and apps are down is due to how many people scheduled to retake after the Sept. LSAT.


Yeah, Dec was up 15% or something right?


That's something I'm not sure about but if it's retakers + a regular amt. of first-timers, I could see how it would've been up. Hopefully the decrease in high scores is a sign that the test is either harder so less people will be scoring high this go around too or people aren't prepping properly. Lol.

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:18 pm

.
Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby brinicolec » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:19 pm

mm2368 wrote:.


Lol, I guess they just want to make sure they don't leave anything out!
Last edited by brinicolec on Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

canafsa

Bronze
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:50 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby canafsa » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:23 pm

.
Last edited by canafsa on Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby brinicolec » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:27 pm

canafsa wrote:.


I'm really not sure if this is something the adcomm truly cares about though.

I don't think they sit around like, "Omg, ew. They're on a forum site typing... like they're on a forum site?!"
I think they care more about people who are either lying about application stuff, bashing the school even though they've applied, or spreading misinformation.

But, OP is right. Some adcomm folks do peruse this site and may be able to identify you based on stuff you disclose.

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:28 pm

.

User avatar
jjcorvino

Silver
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jjcorvino » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:35 pm

brinicolec wrote:
canafsa wrote:.


I'm really not sure if this is something the adcomm truly cares about though.

I don't think they sit around like, "Omg, ew. They're on a forum site typing... like they're on a forum site?!"
I think they care more about people who are either lying about application stuff, bashing the school even though they've applied, or spreading misinformation.

But, OP is right. Some adcomm folks do peruse this site and may be able to identify you based on stuff you disclose.


What type of stuff would turn off an adcomm though? I have stated my numbers and what schools I have applied to. I don't see why that would anger an adcomm though. The only things that I could see hurting are bashing the school or talking about immoral/illegal things "I went out and did xxx drug last night".

lawdude31

New
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:21 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lawdude31 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:36 pm

Some ED decisions are out. I got accepted!!! Best of luck to everyone else!

User avatar
calpolisci2016

Bronze
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:42 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby calpolisci2016 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:47 pm

jjcorvino wrote:LSAT scores and applicants are down across the board: https://twitter.com/SpiveyConsult

Applicants:
Applicants DOWN 5.1% Applications DOWN 1.7%.

LSAT:
165-169 (-18.8%)
170-174 (-2.0%)
175-180 ( -25.4%)


46% increase in 170 scorers, however. Maybe a bunch of typical 165-174 scorers all bunched up at exactly 170 this cycle?

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby brinicolec » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:52 pm

jjcorvino wrote:.


Like I said, bashing schools, lying on your application (which people do discuss on these threads sometimes, especially regarding stretching their URM status because, "Well, my great-grandfather was black and I've never claimed I was black before but can I claim I'm black now for the boost?"), maybe even generally being a major asshole on these threads lol. It's hard to know exactly, but I don't think an adcomm is going to ding you because you've shared where you've applied and your numbers. I mean, technically, they know that info anyway :lol:

RickyBunny

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby RickyBunny » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:04 pm

Have any RD applicants who have had an interview received a decision as yet? My interviewer said decisions were going to come out in January.

bettyboopydoop

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby bettyboopydoop » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:07 pm

calpolisci2016 wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:LSAT scores and applicants are down across the board: https://twitter.com/SpiveyConsult

Applicants:
Applicants DOWN 5.1% Applications DOWN 1.7%.

LSAT:
165-169 (-18.8%)
170-174 (-2.0%)
175-180 ( -25.4%)


46% increase in 170 scorers, however. Maybe a bunch of typical 165-174 scorers all bunched up at exactly 170 this cycle?


It was the virus game! Never missed any logic games until that one. Dropped me 3+ points!

User avatar
Assasindowntheavenue

Silver
Posts: 818
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:51 pm

RickyBunny wrote:Have any RD applicants who have had an interview received a decision as yet? My interviewer said decisions were going to come out in January.


I do not believe any RD decisions have come out yet, interviewed or non-interviewed.

mritter3

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:53 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mritter3 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:04 pm

lawdude31 wrote:Some ED decisions are out. I got accepted!!! Best of luck to everyone else!


Me too! Congrats!!!! See you there and wishing the best of luck to others as well!

RickyBunny

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby RickyBunny » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:12 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
RickyBunny wrote:Have any RD applicants who have had an interview received a decision as yet? My interviewer said decisions were going to come out in January.


I do not believe any RD decisions have come out yet, interviewed or non-interviewed.


Thanks I believe that is right/expected based on the thread from last year.

Fantasyfreak294

New
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Fantasyfreak294 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:04 am

lawdude31 wrote:
Fantasyfreak294 wrote:
lawdude31 wrote:
mm2368 wrote:
HarvardHopeful95 wrote:I just got a request for an interview from Columbia, is this a good sign? I'm freaking out right now lol


Lol depends on your stats I think

I got interviewed and I am above 75 in both LSAT and GPA. Don't overthink it. Apparently they are interested in talking to you and that's what is important. Just be yourself and well behaved and it will be fine.


Congrats on landing an interview. Were there any curveball questions?

No, it was very straightforward and pleasant. Nothing shocking or trying to trip me up.


Gracias. How long did it last? Typical 20-ish minutes or shorter?

User avatar
NotAGolfer

Silver
Posts: 596
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:50 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby NotAGolfer » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:38 pm

Fantasyfreak294 wrote:
lawdude31 wrote:
Fantasyfreak294 wrote:
lawdude31 wrote:
mm2368 wrote:
HarvardHopeful95 wrote:I just got a request for an interview from Columbia, is this a good sign? I'm freaking out right now lol


Lol depends on your stats I think

I got interviewed and I am above 75 in both LSAT and GPA. Don't overthink it. Apparently they are interested in talking to you and that's what is important. Just be yourself and well behaved and it will be fine.


Congrats on landing an interview. Were there any curveball questions?

No, it was very straightforward and pleasant. Nothing shocking or trying to trip me up.


Gracias. How long did it last? Typical 20-ish minutes or shorter?

It sounds like most interviews have been 20 minutes (based on this thread). Mine went a little bit longer (30 minutes) but I think that was the longer end of things.

lsa16

Bronze
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:04 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lsa16 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:53 pm

^ I think mine was pretty close to 20

User avatar
xn3345

New
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:49 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby xn3345 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:07 pm

lsa16 wrote:^ I think mine was pretty close to 20


+1

User avatar
Baby Gaga

Bronze
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Baby Gaga » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:02 pm

Mine was exactly 20 mins 5 sec

lawdude31

New
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:21 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lawdude31 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:31 pm

Fantasyfreak294 wrote:
lawdude31 wrote:
Fantasyfreak294 wrote:
lawdude31 wrote:
mm2368 wrote:
HarvardHopeful95 wrote:I just got a request for an interview from Columbia, is this a good sign? I'm freaking out right now lol


Lol depends on your stats I think

I got interviewed and I am above 75 in both LSAT and GPA. Don't overthink it. Apparently they are interested in talking to you and that's what is important. Just be yourself and well behaved and it will be fine.


Congrats on landing an interview. Were there any curveball questions?

No, it was very straightforward and pleasant. Nothing shocking or trying to trip me up.


Gracias. How long did it last? Typical 20-ish minutes or shorter?

Yes right around there.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests