Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

It's decision szn... How are you holding up?

I'm freaking out
12
6%
I'm freaking out!
7
3%
I'M FREAKING OUT!!!!!
17
8%
I. AM. FREAK-ING. OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
58
28%
Why did anyone ever give us status checkers? I can't stop looking at the stupid things!
36
17%
Eh.. I'm doing okay actually...
76
37%
 
Total votes: 206

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:36 am

why hold somebody on April 4th? Is that serious?

GorillaWarfare

New
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:00 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby GorillaWarfare » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:09 pm

Keilz wrote:
GorillaWarfare wrote:
mtf612 wrote:
Keilz wrote:Looking back on last two years on lsn, this is the final week that they have sent out acceptances, even for holds.

This could totally change though and it's not the big picture. I haven't checked last years threads.


Has anyone held this year received an interview request?



Me. Got held this morning, had the interview about a month ago.

Honestly, I'm glad to just be done with it.


Wow, late hold. When did they tell you you would receive a decision by?


They took their sweet time. They said they would revisit applications in late May. I wasn't in love with the idea of going to NYC, so it's for the best.

eck456

Bronze
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:07 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby eck456 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:13 pm

GorillaWarfare wrote:
Keilz wrote:
GorillaWarfare wrote:
mtf612 wrote:
Keilz wrote:Looking back on last two years on lsn, this is the final week that they have sent out acceptances, even for holds.

This could totally change though and it's not the big picture. I haven't checked last years threads.


Has anyone held this year received an interview request?



Me. Got held this morning, had the interview about a month ago.

Honestly, I'm glad to just be done with it.


Wow, late hold. When did they tell you you would receive a decision by?


They took their sweet time. They said they would revisit applications in late May. I wasn't in love with the idea of going to NYC, so it's for the best.


That's SUPER interesting, because they definitely didn't do that last cycle. I was a hold last cycle and my memory is they responded to everyone by April 20 or so (distinct in my mind bc it popped up on my computer as I was giving a presentation at work). This might mean the schedule from last year is not going to hold this year...

sittykitty

Bronze
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:32 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby sittykitty » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:49 pm

eck456 wrote:
GorillaWarfare wrote:
Keilz wrote:
GorillaWarfare wrote:
mtf612 wrote:
Keilz wrote:Looking back on last two years on lsn, this is the final week that they have sent out acceptances, even for holds.

This could totally change though and it's not the big picture. I haven't checked last years threads.


Has anyone held this year received an interview request?



Me. Got held this morning, had the interview about a month ago.

Honestly, I'm glad to just be done with it.


Wow, late hold. When did they tell you you would receive a decision by?


They took their sweet time. They said they would revisit applications in late May. I wasn't in love with the idea of going to NYC, so it's for the best.


That's SUPER interesting, because they definitely didn't do that last cycle. I was a hold last cycle and my memory is they responded to everyone by April 20 or so (distinct in my mind bc it popped up on my computer as I was giving a presentation at work). This might mean the schedule from last year is not going to hold this year...


What's the point of holding someone to reevaluate in May? Isn't that what they do with the Reserve group anyways?

scoot456

New
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:09 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby scoot456 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:52 pm

-
Last edited by scoot456 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sonyco

New
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby sonyco » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:08 pm

scoot456 wrote:I think the OP meant that he was put on Reserve.

Yes, the hold letter states that a decision will be rendered by late April. Oh, and I was held in February by the way.

Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Keilz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:16 pm

sonyco wrote:
scoot456 wrote:I think the OP meant that he was put on Reserve.

Yes, the hold letter states that a decision will be rendered by late April. Oh, and I was held in February by the way.


Ohh so you were held and then put on reserve from held. You're the first held applicant to report a decision.

sonyco

New
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby sonyco » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:16 pm

Keilz wrote:
sonyco wrote:
scoot456 wrote:I think the OP meant that he was put on Reserve.

Yes, the hold letter states that a decision will be rendered by late April. Oh, and I was held in February by the way.


Ohh so you were held and then put on reserve from held. You're the first held applicant to report a decision.

I haven't received a decision. I'm currently held.

Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Keilz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:17 pm

sonyco wrote:
Keilz wrote:
sonyco wrote:
scoot456 wrote:I think the OP meant that he was put on Reserve.

Yes, the hold letter states that a decision will be rendered by late April. Oh, and I was held in February by the way.


Ohh so you were held and then put on reserve from held. You're the first held applicant to report a decision.

I haven't received a decision. I'm currently held.


Oh. lol I'm so confused

mangomochi

New
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:56 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mangomochi » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:04 pm

Keilz wrote:
sonyco wrote:
Keilz wrote:
sonyco wrote:
scoot456 wrote:I think the OP meant that he was put on Reserve.

Yes, the hold letter states that a decision will be rendered by late April. Oh, and I was held in February by the way.


Ohh so you were held and then put on reserve from held. You're the first held applicant to report a decision.

I haven't received a decision. I'm currently held.


Oh. lol I'm so confused


Lol I think sonyco was agreeing with the idea that OP was put on reserve since held applicants should hear back by April, not May. Confirm, sonyco, are you OP or nah?

sonyco

New
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby sonyco » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:51 pm

mangomochi wrote:
Keilz wrote:
sonyco wrote:
Keilz wrote:
sonyco wrote:
scoot456 wrote:I think the OP meant that he was put on Reserve.

Yes, the hold letter states that a decision will be rendered by late April. Oh, and I was held in February by the way.


Ohh so you were held and then put on reserve from held. You're the first held applicant to report a decision.

I haven't received a decision. I'm currently held.


Oh. lol I'm so confused


Lol I think sonyco was agreeing with the idea that OP was put on reserve since held applicants should hear back by April, not May. Confirm, sonyco, are you OP or nah?

I was agreeing with that idea. I am not OP. Also the letter says held applicants are under active consideration. Nothing about re-evaluation in May.

lvlaw3

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:21 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lvlaw3 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:25 am

last school I'm waiting on, went complete first week of January, just yelling into the void at this point for sweet release from the uncertainty (below both 25%s) :?

User avatar
NotAGolfer

Silver
Posts: 596
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:50 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby NotAGolfer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:52 am

dddddd90 wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
dddddd90 wrote:
HarvardHopeful95 wrote:Has anyone heard back about the Richard Paul Richman Scholarship yet?


Pretty sure it was supposed to be by today.

I'm assuming they'll let people know either way right? Does anyone know if it will be by email/snail mail/phone call?


I hope so! My working theory is that you'll get a phone call if good news, otherwise an email with a consolation merit award. Maybe that is wishful thinking...

Still no word on this? I have upcoming deposit/scholly deadlines and was really hoping to hear soon :|

Brutus_the_Younger

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:49 pm

...

Postby Brutus_the_Younger » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:01 pm

...
Last edited by Brutus_the_Younger on Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VA2lawschool

Bronze
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:52 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby VA2lawschool » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:05 pm

Brutus_the_Younger wrote:I haven't read the entire thread, but just to confirm: if I didn't get a Vandy/Butler, then there is no chance I'll get a full ride, correct? I am on the cusp of withdrawing but didn't want to inadvertently foreclose some hidden opportunity.


Yup, all major merit awards come with your acceptance.

Brutus_the_Younger

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:49 pm

...

Postby Brutus_the_Younger » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:09 pm

...
Last edited by Brutus_the_Younger on Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Keilz » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:09 pm

Brutus_the_Younger wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:
Brutus_the_Younger wrote:I haven't read the entire thread, but just to confirm: if I didn't get a Vandy/Butler, then there is no chance I'll get a full ride, correct? I am on the cusp of withdrawing but didn't want to inadvertently foreclose some hidden opportunity.


Yup, all major merit awards come with your acceptance.


Okay, thought so. Seat about to open up - good luck everyone!


thanks :D

lillawyer2

Silver
Posts: 750
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:43 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lillawyer2 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:16 pm

So the dean emailed me back in Dec. and let me know that they could not offer me a seat under ED, but will re-evaluate me in April.

Its not April.

What do I do?

How long do they usually make us wait?

HarvardHopeful95

Bronze
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:55 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby HarvardHopeful95 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:46 pm

NotAGolfer wrote:
dddddd90 wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
dddddd90 wrote:
HarvardHopeful95 wrote:Has anyone heard back about the Richard Paul Richman Scholarship yet?


Pretty sure it was supposed to be by today.

I'm assuming they'll let people know either way right? Does anyone know if it will be by email/snail mail/phone call?


I hope so! My working theory is that you'll get a phone call if good news, otherwise an email with a consolation merit award. Maybe that is wishful thinking...

Still no word on this? I have upcoming deposit/scholly deadlines and was really hoping to hear soon :|


Still no word on my end :/

gizmo1024

Bronze
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:09 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby gizmo1024 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:53 pm

It was such a headache getting all the financial aid info together. I'm assuming we can just fax over all the tax returns and financial aid app? Don't want to mail 100+ pages to NY.

HarvardHopeful95

Bronze
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:55 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby HarvardHopeful95 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:58 pm

gizmo1024 wrote:It was such a headache getting all the financial aid info together. I'm assuming we can just fax over all the tax returns and financial aid app? Don't want to mail 100+ pages to NY.


I emailed mine in and I'm sure that fax is fine

gizmo1024

Bronze
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:09 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby gizmo1024 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:04 pm

HarvardHopeful95 wrote:
gizmo1024 wrote:It was such a headache getting all the financial aid info together. I'm assuming we can just fax over all the tax returns and financial aid app? Don't want to mail 100+ pages to NY.


I emailed mine in and I'm sure that fax is fine


Good to know! Thank you.

lawapplicant2020

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:37 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lawapplicant2020 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:45 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:So the dean emailed me back in Dec. and let me know that they could not offer me a seat under ED, but will re-evaluate me in April.

Its not April.

What do I do?

How long do they usually make us wait?



This is the standard 'deferred from ED to regular' email that you're referring to, I believe, which comes with an attached letter. My guess is that some decisions come out starting mid-April, since they say they'll start reviewing again in April. Not sure what the odds are on acceptances if deferred from ED to regular -- does anyone know?

tomgirl

New
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:01 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby tomgirl » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:48 pm

HarvardHopeful95 wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
dddddd90 wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
dddddd90 wrote:
HarvardHopeful95 wrote:Has anyone heard back about the Richard Paul Richman Scholarship yet?


Pretty sure it was supposed to be by today.

I'm assuming they'll let people know either way right? Does anyone know if it will be by email/snail mail/phone call?


I hope so! My working theory is that you'll get a phone call if good news, otherwise an email with a consolation merit award. Maybe that is wishful thinking...

Still no word on this? I have upcoming deposit/scholly deadlines and was really hoping to hear soon :|


Still no word on my end :/


Me neither :(

lillawyer2

Silver
Posts: 750
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:43 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lillawyer2 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:04 pm

lawapplicant2020 wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:So the dean emailed me back in Dec. and let me know that they could not offer me a seat under ED, but will re-evaluate me in April.

Its not April.

What do I do?

How long do they usually make us wait?



This is the standard 'deferred from ED to regular' email that you're referring to, I believe, which comes with an attached letter. My guess is that some decisions come out starting mid-April, since they say they'll start reviewing again in April. Not sure what the odds are on acceptances if deferred from ED to regular -- does anyone know?


Thanks for the response.

Should I write another letter-send them an update? I graduated in 2014. I did get a promotion at my job, but it is not relevant to Law School. I am currently an accountant.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot] and 11 guests