Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

It's decision szn... How are you holding up?

I'm freaking out
6%
I'm freaking out!
3%
I'M FREAKING OUT!!!!!
8%
I. AM. FREAK-ING. OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
28%
Why did anyone ever give us status checkers? I can't stop looking at the stupid things!
17%
Eh.. I'm doing okay actually...
37%

Total votes: 206

RParadela

Silver

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby RParadela » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:34 pm

Not sure why Columbia hasn't reserved me yet.. Been complete since January and haven't heard a peep

dclaw93

Bronze

Postby dclaw93 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:44 pm

RParadela wrote:Not sure why Columbia hasn't reserved me yet.. Been complete since January and haven't heard a peep

+1, but since early December :(

sorence

Bronze

Postby sorence » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:00 pm

dclaw93 wrote:
RParadela wrote:Not sure why Columbia hasn't reserved me yet.. Been complete since January and haven't heard a peep

+1, but since early December :(

+1. The wait continues..

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:58 pm

Complete since Jan and no news since.

What could be going on for applicants in similar boat?

Terson_br

New

Postby Terson_br » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:22 pm

Hello everyone! I would be glad if someone could answer my questions as I am new to this Forum and to the "JD applications" world.

First of all, today I received a notification informing that I was placed in the reserve group.

As a foreign national that attended under graduation abroad in a non English speaking country with whole different educational system, I was very naive about the application process.

I graduated on the beginning of this year and I started looking for information about Law schools Admissions Process only on September of 2016.

So, I only had a couple months to study (not full time as I was on my under grad last year and doing internships) for the LSAT and to do the travel arrangements in order to take it in the US.

Not surprisingly, I got 150. I don't have a GPA (they don't even convert my grades) as the Brazilian system is so different. So, the main factors on my applications are my ridiculous LSAT and the soft factors.

Being so naive :oops: , I talked to a Law professor in NY and he told me that tier 1 schools value a lot the "soft factors" and since I have many of them(I am a lawyer in Brazil, I have done a lot of charity, etc), I started thinking I would be accepted in top law schools and started applying for Harvard, Cornell, Columbia, Georgetown, etc.

I also applied for some tier 2 and tier 3 schools, just to make sure I would be accepted with scholarships somewhere. :D

Anyway, tier 3 schools responded me first and accepted me with good scholarships, some tier 2 schools accepted me with no scholarships and others put me on the WL. After being put in some WL and getting rejected by a tier 2, I started suspecting that soft factors almost dont count and that the Law Schools don't really take in consideration that I am foreign and had little time to understand and study the LSAT.

And then the top schools started sending out the rejection letters, one after another, in such a way Columbia was the only one remaining and I completely lost hope of being admitted in a top school, and actually enrolled in a tier 2 school in NY.

So my questions are:
From the experience of you guys, does a 150 LSAT with "no gpa" have a minimum chance of being accepted in Columbia?

Does Columbia have a tradition of taking in consideration the "soft factors" more than other schools?

P.S: Sorry for the big post. I kind of have no one do discuss this issues and I am so glad i found this forum that I decided to tell my whole story. :oops:

lauren22

New

Postby lauren22 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:44 pm

Keilz wrote:I feel like I'm in the hunger games. I also feel oddly alone in this thread.

*Three Finger Salute*

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:59 am

Terson_br wrote:Hello everyone! I would be glad if someone could answer my questions as I am new to this Forum and to the "JD applications" world.

First of all, today I received a notification informing that I was placed in the reserve group.

As a foreign national that attended under graduation abroad in a non English speaking country with whole different educational system, I was very naive about the application process.

I graduated on the beginning of this year and I started looking for information about Law schools Admissions Process only on September of 2016.

So, I only had a couple months to study (not full time as I was on my under grad last year and doing internships) for the LSAT and to do the travel arrangements in order to take it in the US.

Not surprisingly, I got 150. I don't have a GPA (they don't even convert my grades) as the Brazilian system is so different. So, the main factors on my applications are my ridiculous LSAT and the soft factors.

Being so naive :oops: , I talked to a Law professor in NY and he told me that tier 1 schools value a lot the "soft factors" and since I have many of them(I am a lawyer in Brazil, I have done a lot of charity, etc), I started thinking I would be accepted in top law schools and started applying for Harvard, Cornell, Columbia, Georgetown, etc.

I also applied for some tier 2 and tier 3 schools, just to make sure I would be accepted with scholarships somewhere. :D

Anyway, tier 3 schools responded me first and accepted me with good scholarships, some tier 2 schools accepted me with no scholarships and others put me on the WL. After being put in some WL and getting rejected by a tier 2, I started suspecting that soft factors almost dont count and that the Law Schools don't really take in consideration that I am foreign and had little time to understand and study the LSAT.

And then the top schools started sending out the rejection letters, one after another, in such a way Columbia was the only one remaining and I completely lost hope of being admitted in a top school, and actually enrolled in a tier 2 school in NY.

So my questions are:
From the experience of you guys, does a 150 LSAT with "no gpa" have a minimum chance of being accepted in Columbia?

Does Columbia have a tradition of taking in consideration the "soft factors" more than other schools?

P.S: Sorry for the big post. I kind of have no one do discuss this issues and I am so glad i found this forum that I decided to tell my whole story. :oops:

I would say you essentially have 0 chance of being accepted at any T13 school with a 150. You need to study for the LSAT this summer and get that LSAT score way higher if you want to shoot for Columbia. Soft factors do matter, but you still need to have the numbers

lawdude31

New

Postby lawdude31 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:28 am

Just wondering if at any point is there any confirmation that Columbia received all your financial aid info and that they are not waiting for something?

VA2lawschool

Bronze

Postby VA2lawschool » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:43 am

lawdude31 wrote:Just wondering if at any point is there any confirmation that Columbia received all your financial aid info and that they are not waiting for something?

I asked and they said they do not send out confirmations but that they will contact you if they discover anything is missing ASAP.

lawdude31

New

Postby lawdude31 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:08 pm

VA2lawschool wrote:
lawdude31 wrote:Just wondering if at any point is there any confirmation that Columbia received all your financial aid info and that they are not waiting for something?

I asked and they said they do not send out confirmations but that they will contact you if they discover anything is missing ASAP.

Ok thanks!

AllHailKingMao

Bronze

Postby AllHailKingMao » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:05 pm

Has anyone not received ANYTHING from Columbia since applying? I applied mid-December and went complete 1/5, and zilch.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:09 pm

AllHailKingMao wrote:Has anyone not received ANYTHING from Columbia since applying? I applied mid-December and went complete 1/5, and zilch.

Yes, I applied/went complete mid October. No interview, hold, or decision. If you look at posts from yesterday there are people in the same situation.

Because you went complete in January, you may not hear until April.

Instrumental

Silver

Postby Instrumental » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:10 pm

I was browsing through the law journals for international programs here... click the Journal of European Law.

XD I can't be the first one to notice that. I did the web admin a solid and emailed 'em about it.

gargleblaster

Bronze

Postby gargleblaster » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:17 pm

RParadela wrote:
Terson_br wrote:Hello everyone! I would be glad if someone could answer my questions as I am new to this Forum and to the "JD applications" world.

So my questions are:

I would say you essentially have 0 chance of being accepted at any T13 school with a 150. You need to study for the LSAT this summer and get that LSAT score way higher if you want to shoot for Columbia. Soft factors do matter, but you still need to have the numbers

I concur. Do you concur doctor?

haley12

Silver

Postby haley12 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:17 pm

Instrumental wrote:I was browsing through the law journals for international programs here... click the Journal of European Law.

XD I can't be the first one to notice that. I did the web admin a solid and emailed 'em about it.

HAHA that's too good :lol:

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:21 pm

Instrumental wrote:I was browsing through the law journals for international programs here... click the Journal of European Law.

I laughed way harder than I should've.

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:22 pm

Alexandros wrote:

Wow. Just, wow...

Beads2017

New

Postby Beads2017 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:58 pm

I went complete on 10/28...and still not a single peep. 3.7, 171, URM....is this crazy?? Or I am I just being impatient?

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:06 pm

Pozzo wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Wow. Just, wow...

What am I missing? Or did the webadmin fix it by now

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:10 pm

etramak wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Wow. Just, wow...

What am I missing? Or did the webadmin fix it by now

They already fixed it (props for that). It went to a site that had "Columbia Law Journal of European Law" at the top, but the content was all about vaping.

lauren22

New

Postby lauren22 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:22 pm

+1 but I submitted my application in Oct. & interviewed in early Dec. It's fine, everything's fine

lauren22

New

Postby lauren22 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:25 pm

Is it still called a "LOCI" if you weren't placed on the WL (yet)? Just haven't heard a peep in months, so I would like to send in a Why Columbia. I told myself I would wait until April, and that way it wouldn't seem too pushy.

gargleblaster

Bronze

Postby gargleblaster » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:30 pm

==error==/2016-207-cycle-data-as-of-3-24-17/

to all the columbia adcomms reading this - pay me for my lsat and i'll come

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:38 pm

Columbia, I'll pay YOU if I am allowed to come

gargleblaster

Bronze

Postby gargleblaster » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:52 pm

Keilz wrote:Columbia, I'll pay YOU if I am allowed to come

touche

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?