Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

It's decision szn... How are you holding up?

I'm freaking out
6%
I'm freaking out!
3%
I'M FREAKING OUT!!!!!
8%
I. AM. FREAK-ING. OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
28%
Why did anyone ever give us status checkers? I can't stop looking at the stupid things!
17%
Eh.. I'm doing okay actually...
37%

Total votes: 206

hellohalo

Silver

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby hellohalo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:55 am

Our guided tour was unprofessional. The guides didn't prepare at all. It was more like showing around the campus to their family/friends. It's like "I don't know the name of the building, but whatever, I'm not really sure about that, but whatever... hehe... hahaha"

One of our section leaders didn't put on the ambassador t-shirt. She sat on the desk while talking to us. I mean she obviously wants to be different and unique. She wants to show how relaxed and easy she is. She does provide good suggestions. But come on you are a 3L, not a high school chick. Be professional.

I can feel that people are happy. People are promised with their future. Yes this is what a professional school's priority. But like some other people mentioned, I feel a lack of "culture" "spirit".

With all the criticism, CLS is still top school, great facility, best "do well" placement, people are friendly, staff are helpful. The PI panel are really good. They are talented people. They know what they do. They speak so well! They are passionate. I am impressed by them. It's a great place to go!

jpark86

New

Postby jpark86 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:23 am

hellohalo wrote:Our guided tour was unprofessional. The guides didn't prepare at all. It was more like showing around the campus to their family/friends. It's like "I don't know the name of the building, but whatever, I'm not really sure about that, but whatever... hehe... hahaha"

One of our section leaders didn't put on the ambassador t-shirt. She sat on the desk while talking to us. I mean she obviously wants to be different and unique. She wants to show how relaxed and easy she is. She does provide good suggestions. But come on you are a 3L, not a high school chick. Be professional.

I can feel that people are happy. People are promised with their future. Yes this is what a professional school's priority. But like some other people mentioned, I feel a lack of "culture" "spirit".

With all the criticism, CLS is still top school, great facility, best "do well" placement, people are friendly, staff are helpful. The PI panel are really good. They are talented people. They know what they do. They speak so well! They are passionate. I am impressed by them. It's a great place to go!

I completely agree with you about the "culture" point... i went to Columbia as an undergrad and I must say it was a major difference than my high school (we were all about school spirit due my school being located in a small suburbian town)... However, that being said, Columbia is situated in the UWS (very quiet and beautiful part in NYC! I actually live around there right now!!) and has the city as an extension of its campus. Plus you get the benefit of taking courses at Columbia's many other graduate programs including SIPA, CBS, etc. I think holistically (if you want to pursue a well rounded education) you would benefit tremendously by going to a school such as CLS where you can leverage the other networks the school has to offer.

Btw, anyone here going to the next ASW later this month?

VA2lawschool

Bronze

Postby VA2lawschool » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:26 am

RParadela wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:
mmestik wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:Just want to say that admitted student days were fantastic. I am so sold on Columbia.

Really? I walked in thinking I would love Columbia, and walked out very confused. I spent some time at NYU today and liked it a lot better (leaving me very confused).

Would you mind elaborating more on what you disliked about columbia and what you liked about nyu?

Personally, I felt that the "sell" that I was given was related to the amount of money you're "guaranteed" to make if you go to Columbia. Also, it didn't help that the Columbia students I talked to said there wasn't a meaningful difference between opportunities afforded to NYU students and the ones they had, and yet they made no effort to differentiate why you would choose Columbia. The NYU students seemed to talk about the people they met, the experiences they had with professors, etc. You can go to BigLaw from so many places, why would that be your selling point? If you can go to BL for both, the community and the intangibles should matter. Hope that helps!

BigLaw isn't created equally. Columbia gives access to the top end of BigLaw that Cornell or Fordham doesn't for example.

Yes, that's very true, but I was only making the distinction between Columbia and NYU. From what I could tell, both schools offered equal access to the top end of BigLaw.

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:36 am

VA2lawschool wrote:
RParadela wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:
mmestik wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:Just want to say that admitted student days were fantastic. I am so sold on Columbia.

Really? I walked in thinking I would love Columbia, and walked out very confused. I spent some time at NYU today and liked it a lot better (leaving me very confused).

Would you mind elaborating more on what you disliked about columbia and what you liked about nyu?

Personally, I felt that the "sell" that I was given was related to the amount of money you're "guaranteed" to make if you go to Columbia. Also, it didn't help that the Columbia students I talked to said there wasn't a meaningful difference between opportunities afforded to NYU students and the ones they had, and yet they made no effort to differentiate why you would choose Columbia. The NYU students seemed to talk about the people they met, the experiences they had with professors, etc. You can go to BigLaw from so many places, why would that be your selling point? If you can go to BL for both, the community and the intangibles should matter. Hope that helps!

BigLaw isn't created equally. Columbia gives access to the top end of BigLaw that Cornell or Fordham doesn't for example.

Yes, that's very true, but I was only making the distinction between Columbia and NYU. From what I could tell, both schools offered equal access to the top end of BigLaw.

I would think that Columbia places more kids in top end BL jobs, but that data is hard to come by and I have no way of knowing tbh. Although, Columbia does place more kids in BL+fed clerk than NYU by about 10%.

VapidP

Bronze

Postby VapidP » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:36 am

VA2lawschool wrote:
RParadela wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:
mmestik wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:

Last edited by VapidP on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leliana

Bronze

Postby Leliana » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:38 am

Interesting to hear everyone's thoughts! I think it really goes to show how much of the decision comes down to your own personal impression. I personally had an amazing experience (I'm PI-focused fwiw) and I think it's going to be tough for any other schools to measure up... I was already leaning towards CLS as my first choice and after going to ASP I am also totally sold :D

Thelaw23

Silver

Postby Thelaw23 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:51 am

Leliana wrote:Interesting to hear everyone's thoughts! I think it really goes to show how much of the decision comes down to your own personal impression. I personally had an amazing experience (I'm PI-focused fwiw) and I think it's going to be tough for any other schools to measure up... I was already leaning towards CLS as my first choice and after going to ASP I am also totally sold :D

See you in the Fall!

That look we gave each other when we realized who we were on TLS :lol: :lol:

Btw what does everyone think about the housing? I didn't actually make into the second day of the ASP.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:57 am

Thanks for all these/thoughts impressions, guys! I'm going to the ASP at the end of the month (gonna do it back to back with NYU's), so I'm looking forward to making my own impressions ;) Will report back afterward!

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:04 am

VapidP wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:
RParadela wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:
mmestik wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:

I guess there BigLaw and then the Vault top 5/10? I heard that the going to Columbia gave you a boost at the latter over NYU. That being said, I don't think BigLaw vs Vault 5/10 is that important and people probably shouldn't care about it.

(I could be totally wrong about this, not super interested in big law)

The differences in exit ops from V10 and the lower end BL jobs are significant. Plus, if you do make partner, your earning potential is much higher at V10 than at other BL firms

Leliana

Bronze

Postby Leliana » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:07 am

Thelaw23 wrote:
Leliana wrote:Interesting to hear everyone's thoughts! I think it really goes to show how much of the decision comes down to your own personal impression. I personally had an amazing experience (I'm PI-focused fwiw) and I think it's going to be tough for any other schools to measure up... I was already leaning towards CLS as my first choice and after going to ASP I am also totally sold :D

See you in the Fall!

Haha yes! That was great :lol:

Thelaw23 wrote:Btw what does everyone think about the housing? I didn't actually make into the second day of the ASP.

IMO the housing is a good deal for NYC. I went to the housing office to talk to their coordinator (who was really helpful with answering my questions) and also visited some of the apartments. I did only see apartments that were part of UAH general graduate housing and not the law school exclusive housing, but they were all within easy walking distance, very spacious for the city, and students were paying $1000-1200 for shares. Definitely a win over NYU's student housing...

Honestly, I was set on a studio but after seeing the apartments I think I'd also be fine with a share. They prioritize studios for couples anyway.

One of the students told me that if you're in NYC over the summer you can actually go and check out your apartment once you get your housing offer to decide whether or not to accept. Which is nice for those of us who live here :)

jpark86

New

Postby jpark86 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:19 am

airwrecka wrote:Thanks for all these/thoughts impressions, guys! I'm going to the ASP at the end of the month (gonna do it back to back with NYU's), so I'm looking forward to making my own impressions ;) Will report back afterward!

see you there!

Thelaw23

Silver

Postby Thelaw23 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:29 am

Leliana wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

See you in the Fall!

Haha yes! That was great :lol:

Thelaw23 wrote:Btw what does everyone think about the housing? I didn't actually make into the second day of the ASP.

IMO the housing is a good deal for NYC. I went to the housing office to talk to their coordinator (who was really helpful with answering my questions) and also visited some of the apartments. I did only see apartments that were part of UAH general graduate housing and not the law school exclusive housing, but they were all within easy walking distance, very spacious for the city, and students were paying $1000-1200 for shares. Definitely a win over NYU's student housing...

Honestly, I was set on a studio but after seeing the apartments I think I'd also be fine with a share. They prioritize studios for couples anyway.

One of the students told me that if you're in NYC over the summer you can actually go and check out your apartment once you get your housing offer to decide whether or not to accept. Which is nice for those of us who live here :)

Thanks for the info! I got some tips from admitted students how to best get a studio, anyone can PM for information. At this point, though, I'm not sure if I want a studio. I still have time to mull over it, though haha.

And that's definitely great I"ll get to see the place before accepting.

2020throwaway

New

Postby 2020throwaway » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:55 am

RParadela wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:
RParadela wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:
mmestik wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:

I would think that Columbia places more kids in top end BL jobs, but that data is hard to come by and I have no way of knowing tbh. Although, Columbia does place more kids in BL+fed clerk than NYU by about 10%.

Here you go:

http://www.nationallawjournal.com/id=12 ... aw-Schools

Click around. you can see data per school or firm

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:03 pm

Reserve today

scoot456

New

Postby scoot456 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:07 pm

Last edited by scoot456 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

charles117

Bronze

Postby charles117 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:11 pm

does reserve mean we still have a decent chance?

simplypara588

New

Postby simplypara588 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:16 pm

Reserve. I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but does reserve = waitlist, or does Columbia have two separate types of hold?

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:17 pm

simplypara588 wrote:Reserve. I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but does reserve = waitlist, or does Columbia have two separate types of hold?

It's the same as waitlist. They do have hold, but that's different.
Last edited by Keilz on Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

minkbrigade

New

Postby minkbrigade » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:19 pm

I'm also PI-focused, but won't be able to make it to an ASD. Would you be up for elaborating more? I'm leaning towards Columbia because of the LRAP, but am definitely nervous about its reputation of having a corporate culture.

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Postby ZVBXRPL » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:21 pm

I'm happy to be put on reserve. What are the stats of getting off reserve? Does this LOCI have to be carefully written?

lsa16

Bronze

Postby lsa16 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:24 pm

Honestly feel like I will just never hear anything back from Columbia at this point.

BoyJord

Bronze

Postby BoyJord » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:24 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:I'm happy to be put on reserve. What are the stats of getting off reserve? Does this LOCI have to be carefully written?

also on reserve today
RE: WL stats ... viewtopic.php?t=225363

ldlestrange

Bronze

Postby ldlestrange » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:30 pm

lsa16 wrote:Honestly feel like I will just never hear anything back from Columbia at this point.

pretty sure Keilz and I are with you on that one :( talk to us Columbia!

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Postby ZVBXRPL » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:30 pm

BoyJord wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:I'm happy to be put on reserve. What are the stats of getting off reserve? Does this LOCI have to be carefully written?

also on reserve today
RE: WL stats ... viewtopic.php?t=225363

So what goes in a LOCI?

addie1412

Silver

Postby addie1412 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:32 pm

ldlestrange wrote:
lsa16 wrote:Honestly feel like I will just never hear anything back from Columbia at this point.

pretty sure Keilz and I are with you on that one :( talk to us Columbia!

+1

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?