Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

It's decision szn... How are you holding up?

I'm freaking out
6%
I'm freaking out!
3%
I'M FREAKING OUT!!!!!
8%
I. AM. FREAK-ING. OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
28%
Why did anyone ever give us status checkers? I can't stop looking at the stupid things!
17%
Eh.. I'm doing okay actually...
37%

Total votes: 206

harmcharm

New

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby harmcharm » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:38 pm

jackstraw92 wrote:
ayylmao wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
ayylmao wrote:Talked to Dean Iwerebon at ASW today. She told me point blank that if you don't get merit aid when you get admitted, you're not getting any.

In other words, I'm not going to CLS. :D

Crap. So the grants are completely need based?
Anyway you have better choices.

I assume so.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I remember reading on past years' threads that Columbia ostensibly only offers the Hamilton and Butler as "merit aid," but when you look at who later gets non-named "need-based" aid, stats seem to be a factor.

Yeah, I had heard that the aid packages that come out later aren't classified as "merit aid," but behave exactly like merit aid (based a little on stats, negotiable, etc.), so for all intents and purposes it is merit.

alpinespring

New

Postby alpinespring » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:05 pm

Those of us for whom it's been more than 3 weeks since we interviewed but haven't heard a beep,

Shall we see if we really f-d up the interview or if the admissions office is just being lazy by comparing numbers & complete dates?

50> GPA/LSAT > 75, non-URM

Complete: late January
Interview: Mid-February
My interviewer totally got me on the "Why Columbia" question even though I diligently prepared for that question. I'm terrible at lying.. and he/she grilled me on why I took LSAT so many f-ing times (wanted to meet H's median). She made me feel really guilty about trying so hard... Anyways, my biggest regret is that I let her see through that, if given the chance, I'd choose a higher-ranking school over Columbia (but wouldn't you? FML). It's like having to choose between a Mercedes and a Maybach. I love Mercedes but I just want to be the kind of person who can afford a Maybach and I'm willing to put in all the work to achieve it....
Last edited by alpinespring on Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:15 pm

alpinespring wrote:Those of us for whom it's been more than 3 weeks since we interviewed but haven't heard a beep,

Shall we see if we f-d up the interview or if the admissions office is just being lazy by comparing numbers & complete dates?

LSAT between 25-50, GPA > 50, non-URM

Complete: 10/17
No interview 8)

addie1412

Silver

Postby addie1412 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:30 pm

alpinespring wrote:Those of us for whom it's been more than 3 weeks since we interviewed but haven't heard a beep,

Shall we see if we f-d up the interview or if the admissions office is just being lazy by comparing numbers & complete dates?

50>GPA>25
LSAT>75
Not urm
Complete late November
Interview mid-January

addie1412

Silver

oopsies
Last edited by addie1412 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

addie1412

Silver

Last edited by addie1412 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ytrewq321

New

Postby ytrewq321 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:38 pm

I interviewed early Feb and was put on hold so perhaps I messed up the interview. My why Columbia wasn't very strong and I wouldn't attend without $$$.

50<GPA<75<LSAT

myrik

New

Postby myrik » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:41 pm

Last edited by myrik on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:59 pm

Just want to say that admitted student days were fantastic. I am so sold on Columbia.

lawdude31

New

Postby lawdude31 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:28 pm

jjcorvino wrote:Just want to say that admitted student days were fantastic. I am so sold on Columbia.

Wasn't able to attend, but curious, what was so fantastic?

lsa16

Bronze

Postby lsa16 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:01 pm

Keilz wrote:

No interview 8)

Complete 10/11, LSAT = 50, GPA > 75, interviewed early December and thought it was decent at the time, but maybe it wasn't.

lsa16

Bronze

Postby lsa16 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:03 pm

lsa16 wrote:
Keilz wrote:

No interview 8)

Complete 10/11, LSAT = 50, GPA > 75, interviewed early December and thought it was decent at the time, but maybe it wasn't.

Edit - to be fair my PS could be viewed as risky (though Chicago was cool with it - but they kind of advertise being open to anything), so I might not be representative of my numbers

VA2lawschool

Bronze

Postby VA2lawschool » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:25 am

jjcorvino wrote:Just want to say that admitted student days were fantastic. I am so sold on Columbia.

Really? I walked in thinking I would love Columbia, and walked out very confused. I spent some time at NYU today and liked it a lot better (leaving me very confused).

hellohalo

Silver

Postby hellohalo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:54 am

VA2lawschool wrote:

Really? I walked in thinking I would love Columbia, and walked out very confused. I spent some time at NYU today and liked it a lot better (leaving me very confused).

I walked out of Columbia like "OK?..." they did a great job promoting public interest, but that's not my interest. And the fact is most graduates go to law firm/corporation law.

mmestik

New

Postby mmestik » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:00 am

VA2lawschool wrote:

Would you mind elaborating more on what you disliked about columbia and what you liked about nyu?

2020throwaway

New

Postby 2020throwaway » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:03 am

I wasn't the biggest fan of Columbia's ASW (day 1). but I probably won't be the biggest fan of LS in general

1. dean of LS is young (2nd year in)
-her speech screamed "we want you" like 100x (desperate)
-seemed to try hard, kept trying to prove that columbia was great
-brief blurb about social justice then a gloat-y plug about speaking at GS
-lacked personal "oomph"
2. personally prefer "old" styling of Yale/Mich over the new-ish plasticky look of CLS
3. none of the professors on the SJ panel had CLS degrees (points at ceiling for academia)
4. alot of CLS grads basically didnt have a plan besides "call a CLS alum in x office and luck out"
5. felt like the admin/students were trying too hard to sell (it is their job of course). conversations did not feel organic/unforced.

to me, columbia's pros boil down pretty simply
1. want a biglaw job? get it
2. want to work for x org in nyc? come here and intern for them
3. we have alot of money for PI. if you want it, use it
4. NYC
5. ivy league name for prestige
6. we're more fun than harvard?

PM for more details

alpinespring

New

Postby alpinespring » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:09 am

Last edited by alpinespring on Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:46 am

Hey y'all. Trollin the Internet at 2am against my better judgment and found this PDF. Some useful info in there about decisions and sending in LOCIs

http://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/defau ... cation.pdf

I realize it's their application instructions from 2015, but I don't remember if all that detail is in this year's instructions (which I read very carefully), but it's also good to be reminded.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:15 am

hellohalo wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:

I walked out of Columbia like "OK?..." they did a great job promoting public interest, but that's not my interest. And the fact is most graduates go to law firm/corporation law.

Wow, I am shocked that nobody else seemed to love it. Of course the building is ugly (I think we all knew that). However, I thought it was all very impressive. Perhaps I am skewed because I want to work in NY big law. I didn't once speak to a student that didn't have a job lined up in a firm they are interested in.

I think the first day panels focused so hard on PI so that they can show that people that want PI would have a great time at Columbia as well. Everyone knows that their corporate placement is the best in the country so there is not much reason to stress it.

The faculty were impressive, and I didn't mind that most didn't attend Columbia themselves (I have no interest in academia). The projects that they were working on were genuinly interesting, and the four faculty that I spoke to individually were friendly and open about the pros and cons of the school.

I haven't gotten into NYU yet, so there isn't much to compare CLS to in NY for me. I guess I will see how it goes at Penn later this month. The only other ASD I have attended was Georgetown, and this blows GTown out of the water.

2020throwaway

New

Postby 2020throwaway » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:43 am

alpinespring wrote:
2020throwaway wrote:I wasn't the biggest fan of Columbia's ASW (day 1). but I probably won't be the biggest fan of LS in general

-lacked personal "oomph"
2. personally prefer "old" styling of Yale/Mich over the new-ish plasticky look of CLS
3. none of the professors on the SJ panel had CLS degrees (points at ceiling for academia)
4. alot of CLS grads basically didnt have a plan besides "call a CLS alum in x office and luck out"
5. felt like the admin/students were trying too hard to sell (it is their job of course). conversations did not feel organic/unforced.

4. NYC

PM for more details

Thank you for sharing. Very informative and helpful.

What kind of people do you think would be a perfect fit at CLS? Who should avoid it at all costs?

Who "should" go:
People with a career at specific nyc org in mind
Significant scholarship (hopefully 50%+)
Nyc biglaw
PI committed
Parents can pay tuition
Significant other lives in nyc

Combination of the above

Thelaw23

Silver

Postby Thelaw23 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:57 am

jjcorvino wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:

Wow, I am shocked that nobody else seemed to love it. Of course the building is ugly (I think we all knew that). However, I thought it was all very impressive. Perhaps I am skewed because I want to work in NY big law. I didn't once speak to a student that didn't have a job lined up in a firm they are interested in.

I think the first day panels focused so hard on PI so that they can show that people that want PI would have a great time at Columbia as well. Everyone knows that their corporate placement is the best in the country so there is not much reason to stress it.

The faculty were impressive, and I didn't mind that most didn't attend Columbia themselves (I have no interest in academia). The projects that they were working on were genuinly interesting, and the four faculty that I spoke to individually were friendly and open about the pros and cons of the school.

I haven't gotten into NYU yet, so there isn't much to compare CLS to in NY for me. I guess I will see how it goes at Penn later this month. The only other ASD I have attended was Georgetown, and this blows GTown out of the water.

+1, I just felt like at the ASP they were trying to sell PI way too much. It makes sense, though, considering many of the people at the ASP were actually interested in PI and picking between Harvard sticker/Columbia half/full. We all know CLS = almost guaranteed NYC biglaw, but I would've loved to hear more about the private sector.

Other students I talked to gave me some of that information, and I was surprised to hear many tell me that is wasn't that competitive. ( students outside the student ambassadors whose job it was to woo us)

Students seemed to love it at Columbia too.

I also loved the vibe and the open bars were +180, I'll definitely be attending CLS in the fall

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:18 am

2020throwaway wrote:
alpinespring wrote:
2020throwaway wrote:I wasn't the biggest fan of Columbia's ASW (day 1). but I probably won't be the biggest fan of LS in general

-lacked personal "oomph"

4. NYC

PM for more details

Thank you for sharing. Very informative and helpful.

What kind of people do you think would be a perfect fit at CLS? Who should avoid it at all costs?

Who "should" go:
People with a career at specific nyc org in mind
Significant scholarship (hopefully 50%+)
Nyc biglaw
PI committed
Parents can pay tuition
Significant other lives in nyc

Combination of the above

So, me 8-) gotta get admitted first heh

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:18 am

Thelaw23 wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:

+1, I just felt like at the ASP they were trying to sell PI way too much. It makes sense, though, considering many of the people at the ASP were actually interested in PI and picking between Harvard sticker/Columbia half/full. We all know CLS = almost guaranteed NYC biglaw, but I would've loved to hear more about the private sector.

Other students I talked to gave me some of that information, and I was surprised to hear many tell me that is wasn't that competitive. ( students outside the student ambassadors whose job it was to woo us)

Students seemed to love it at Columbia too.

I also loved the vibe and the open bars were +180, I'll definitely be attending CLS in the fall

+180 to the food and bars (and students). The last two days were a lot of fun.

Now that I am thinking about it more, what could have they have said more about corporate/biglaw? What would a panel of biglaw hopefuls say? "I want to go to a prestigious firm and make money. We got a lot of interviews because people know Columbia."

VA2lawschool

Bronze

Postby VA2lawschool » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:40 am

mmestik wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:

Would you mind elaborating more on what you disliked about columbia and what you liked about nyu?

Personally, I felt that the "sell" that I was given was related to the amount of money you're "guaranteed" to make if you go to Columbia. Also, it didn't help that the Columbia students I talked to said there wasn't a meaningful difference between opportunities afforded to NYU students and the ones they had, and yet they made no effort to differentiate why you would choose Columbia. The NYU students seemed to talk about the people they met, the experiences they had with professors, etc. You can go to BigLaw from so many places, why would that be your selling point? If you can go to BL for both, the community and the intangibles should matter. Hope that helps!

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:55 am

VA2lawschool wrote:
mmestik wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:

Personally, I felt that the "sell" that I was given was related to the amount of money you're "guaranteed" to make if you go to Columbia. Also, it didn't help that the Columbia students I talked to said there wasn't a meaningful difference between opportunities afforded to NYU students and the ones they had, and yet they made no effort to differentiate why you would choose Columbia. The NYU students seemed to talk about the people they met, the experiences they had with professors, etc. You can go to BigLaw from so many places, why would that be your selling point? If you can go to BL for both, the community and the intangibles should matter. Hope that helps!

BigLaw isn't created equally. Columbia gives access to the top end of BigLaw that Cornell or Fordham doesn't for example.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?