Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

It's decision szn... How are you holding up?

I'm freaking out
6%
I'm freaking out!
3%
I'M FREAKING OUT!!!!!
8%
I. AM. FREAK-ING. OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
28%
Why did anyone ever give us status checkers? I can't stop looking at the stupid things!
18%
Eh.. I'm doing okay actually...
37%

Total votes: 207

AndromedaGalaxy

New

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby AndromedaGalaxy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:00 pm

Those who have submitted financial aid materials, did you get any sort of confirmation or acknowledgement from Columbia that they had everything for the March 1 deadline? I had some initial back-and-forth by email with the FinAid office, but nothing since I sent in the last tax form. I think the silence probably means they now have everything they need, but I'm a little nervous, since for instance NYU sent a confirmation email after I did their FinAid app.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Postby NotAGolfer » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:22 pm

AndromedaGalaxy wrote:Those who have submitted financial aid materials, did you get any sort of confirmation or acknowledgement from Columbia that they had everything for the March 1 deadline? I had some initial back-and-forth by email with the FinAid office, but nothing since I sent in the last tax form. I think the silence probably means they now have everything they need, but I'm a little nervous, since for instance NYU sent a confirmation email after I did their FinAid app.

I didn't receive anything, but I wish I did. My guess is that they won't start going through things until March 1, so if something is incomplete, we likely won't hear until after that. Makes me nervous because one of my parent has over 50 pages of tax docs, so if for some reason they need additional documentation, I feel like I won't hear for awhile.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:29 pm

NotAGolfer wrote:
AndromedaGalaxy wrote:Those who have submitted financial aid materials, did you get any sort of confirmation or acknowledgement from Columbia that they had everything for the March 1 deadline? I had some initial back-and-forth by email with the FinAid office, but nothing since I sent in the last tax form. I think the silence probably means they now have everything they need, but I'm a little nervous, since for instance NYU sent a confirmation email after I did their FinAid app.

I didn't receive anything, but I wish I did. My guess is that they won't start going through things until March 1, so if something is incomplete, we likely won't hear until after that. Makes me nervous because one of my parent has over 50 pages of tax docs, so if for some reason they need additional documentation, I feel like I won't hear for awhile.

Yeah, my parents' taxes were 70+ pages. They uploaded them all to the idoc website (through College Board--we got an email to do that after submitting the CSS Profile). Then I read on this board that fin aid wanted paper copies. So I called to confirm and they were like "Yeah, we want you to send them to us directly." My parents were super annoyed, so my mom called AGAIN to confirm yesterday. The way my mom described the convo to me, I'm really worried she was rude to the fin aid person on the phone :shock: I get that she's annoyed (I am too), but I don't want this to reflect negatively on me!

(she was esp annoyed because apparently while Columbia undergrad and other grad schools have access to the info on the idoc website, the LAW SCHOOL doesn't, so all those pages my mom uploaded are useless to them...)

Thelaw23

Silver

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:31 pm

airwrecka wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:

Yeah, my parents' taxes were 70+ pages. They uploaded them all to the idoc website (through College Board--we got an email to do that after submitting the CSS Profile). Then I read on this board that fin aid wanted paper copies. So I called to confirm and they were like "Yeah, we want you to send them to us directly." My parents were super annoyed, so my mom called AGAIN to confirm yesterday. The way my mom described the convo to me, I'm really worried she was rude to the fin aid person on the phone :shock: I get that she's annoyed (I am too), but I don't want this to reflect negatively on me!

(she was esp annoyed because apparently while Columbia undergrad and other grad schools have access to the info on the idoc website, the LAW SCHOOL doesn't, so all those pages my mom uploaded are useless to them...)

I heard you can email all of them to finaid? That's what I'm going to try to do, send it in PDF files.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:31 pm

airwrecka wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:

How are you guys sending in the questionnaire? I am thinking paper? I am going to send stuff tomorrow.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:33 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:

I heard you can email all of them to finaid? That's what I'm going to try to do, send it in PDF files.

You can email them? I would love to do that, but I am not sure if I can.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:34 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:

How are you guys sending in the questionnaire? I am thinking paper? I am going to send stuff tomorrow.

I emailed in the questionnaire after signing it and scanning it back in. Gonna assume it's okay unless they tell me otherwise.

Thelaw23

Silver

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:35 pm

I emailed the questionnaire, but there is a part you have to sign with your hand so I had to fill it out, print it, then scan it again and send it in.

Thelaw23

Silver

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:36 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:

I heard it's either that or fax them. I sent them an e-mail asking which they prefer.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:37 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:

I heard it's either that or fax them. I sent them an e-mail asking which they prefer.

Post here if they tell you! I am leaving for vacation tomorrow so I need to send it in soon.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:38 pm

I mailed everything by snail mail because that's what they told me to do (I didn't specifically ask about email or fax, though). I got it all prepared and in the mail already so even if email works, I've gone through the trouble to do snail mail and I'm sticking to it! (same with my parents...le sigh)

Thelaw23

Silver

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:42 pm

airwrecka wrote:I mailed everything by snail mail because that's what they told me to do (I didn't specifically ask about email or fax, though). I got it all prepared and in the mail already so even if email works, I've gone through the trouble to do snail mail and I'm sticking to it! (same with my parents...le sigh)

I honestly have almost never sent snail mail and will 99.9% screw it up if I have to.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:44 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
airwrecka wrote:I mailed everything by snail mail because that's what they told me to do (I didn't specifically ask about email or fax, though). I got it all prepared and in the mail already so even if email works, I've gone through the trouble to do snail mail and I'm sticking to it! (same with my parents...le sigh)

I honestly have almost never sent snail mail and will 99.9% screw it up if I have to.

haha well I am a snail-mail expert thanks to my job (legal assistant at a really old school firm) so I just stole an envelope and postage from there :lol:

and-peggy

New

Postby and-peggy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:52 pm

Held today, above both 75ths, email time-stamped 11:56am.

Does anyone know if held applicants tend to have to wait until the late April deadline, or could an actual decision happen anytime between now and then?

ytrewq321

New

Postby ytrewq321 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:04 pm

Held today. LSAT >75, GPA >50
Last edited by ytrewq321 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

asuddenarborealstop

New

Postby asuddenarborealstop » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:04 pm

Held today as well. LSAT >> 75, GPA - international superior.

Honestly surprised, but happy to hear something other than radio silence.

MrJD2020

Bronze

Postby MrJD2020 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:05 pm

ytrewq321 wrote:Held today. LSAT >75, GPA >50

Sorry to hear.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Postby NotAGolfer » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:00 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:

Post here if they tell you! I am leaving for vacation tomorrow so I need to send it in soon.

I emailed them earlier this month and they told me they strongly discouraged emailing, but would accept it if you absolutely have to send it that way. They said they prefer fax or snail mail.

alpinespring

New

Postby alpinespring » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:04 pm

WTF? That makes me mad even though I'm no where close to your high numbers and I myself haven't heard anything yet.

Obviously, any school reserves the right to do whatever they want. But we as applicants were led to believe that LSAT accounts for most of the admissions (except Y/S). "Unfair" is obviously the wrong word to use... but if LSAT doesn't guarantee anything.....What are we supposed to do...?

If soft factors are becoming increasingly more important... how are people without $$$ who must work multiple jobs to support themselves supposed to have a chance? Just quit my job and go make a difference in the world?

Monday

Silver

Postby Monday » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:28 pm

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrJD2020

Bronze

Postby MrJD2020 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:33 pm

alpinespring wrote:

WTF? That makes me mad even though I'm no where close to your high numbers and I myself haven't heard anything yet.

Obviously, any school reserves the right to do whatever they want. But we as applicants were led to believe that LSAT accounts for most of the admissions (except Y/S). "Unfair" is obviously the wrong word to use... but if LSAT doesn't guarantee anything.....What are we supposed to do...?

If soft factors are becoming increasingly more important... how are people without $$$ who must work multiple jobs to support themselves supposed to have a chance? Just quit my job and go make a difference in the world?

Perhaps work experience, even if not curing cancer, can BE a significant soft factor. Perhaps it's a good thing that the LSAT doesn't guarantee anything. I'd like to think that the sort of school where no single strong factor is a guarantee, is the sort of school where no single weak factor precludes admission, which is in the interest of both the school and its prospective students.
Last edited by MrJD2020 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Postby goldenbear2020 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:40 pm

alpinespring wrote:

Over the past 5 cycles on LSN, CLS has accepted 87% of the 485 non-URM applicants with 3.7+/172+ and given half of them scholarship money. That's pretty close to an admission guarantee.

alpinespring

New

Postby alpinespring » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:51 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
alpinespring wrote:

Over the past 5 cycles on LSN, CLS has accepted 87% of the 485 non-URM applicants with 3.7+/172+ and given half of them scholarship money. That's pretty close to an admission guarantee.

Oh... didn't know that! Thank you for sharing that info.

So it's still very much LSAT-driven?! That's great to hear! Thanks.

abc12345678

New

Postby abc12345678 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:54 pm

For those of you that interviewed, does anyone know if there is a general timeline for when one interviewed and received a decision?

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:06 pm

Last edited by Pozzo on Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?