Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

It's decision szn... How are you holding up?

I'm freaking out
6%
I'm freaking out!
3%
I'M FREAKING OUT!!!!!
8%
I. AM. FREAK-ING. OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
28%
Why did anyone ever give us status checkers? I can't stop looking at the stupid things!
17%
Eh.. I'm doing okay actually...
37%

Total votes: 206

lsa16

Bronze

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lsa16 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:50 pm

Finickywalrus wrote:In via email! LSAT = 75, GPA a little below median. No interview, complete early December.

I had resigned myself to a ding or waitlist so this was quite a surprise. I had just sent in a resume update plus quasi loci so maybe that reminded them I still exist? The decision was one hour after the loci so the timing is suspect.

When we send in resume updates are there any particular guidelines we need to follow? Just send it to the general law admissions email?

01panm

New

Postby 01panm » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:16 pm

RParadela wrote:I've also survived the WL wave. I'm GPA = 25, LSAT = median, so I figured I was going to get hit with a WL for sure. No interview request yet either

My GPA is a bit above 25th with median LSAT, but I applied in October and haven't heard back either. Interviewed in December too.

I remember first seeing MS9's cycle data and thinking that hitting LSAT median was a golden ticket. Now I'm just not sure what to think...

VapidP

Bronze

Postby VapidP » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:53 pm

01panm wrote:
RParadela wrote:I've also survived the WL wave. I'm GPA = 25, LSAT = median, so I figured I was going to get hit with a WL for sure. No interview request yet either

My GPA is a bit above 25th with median LSAT, but I applied in October and haven't heard back either. Interviewed in December too.

I remember first seeing MS9's cycle data and thinking that hitting LSAT median was a golden ticket. Now I'm just not sure what to think...

Esp now finding out that dings are via snail mail, surviving the WL wave means very little now

Finickywalrus

New

Postby Finickywalrus » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:13 pm

lsa16 wrote:
Finickywalrus wrote:In via email! LSAT = 75, GPA a little below median. No interview, complete early December.

I had resigned myself to a ding or waitlist so this was quite a surprise. I had just sent in a resume update plus quasi loci so maybe that reminded them I still exist? The decision was one hour after the loci so the timing is suspect.

When we send in resume updates are there any particular guidelines we need to follow? Just send it to the general law admissions email?

I sent it to the general law admissions email. It was mostly a resume update but I connected the career accomplishment to my law school goals and Columbia's curriculum. I think that helped. Not sure if it saved me from the waitlist or it was just a crazy coincidence that I was admitted today.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:45 am

Columbia's financial aid paperwork is crazy. Why do they need the same information as CSS in their own format?

sigree

Bronze

Postby sigree » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:34 am

Is Hold the same as waitlist?

Thelaw23

Silver

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:36 am

sigree wrote:Is Hold the same as waitlist?

I believe it is different.

I'm just not sure what the point of the "hold" is? They are just notifying you that they will only give you a decision after the end of April?

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:39 am

did you just get a hold email? It's different than WL. You can check theri website for their explanation

sigree

Bronze

Postby sigree » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:40 am

Thelaw23 wrote:

I'm just not sure what the point of the "hold" is? They are just notifying you that they will only give you a decision after the end of April?

Is it better or worse?

The letter says, "yours is one of a select group of applicants placed on Hold and htat you will be given every possible consideration as the season continues....some applicants may be ultimately offered admission, some placed on Reserve and ..... some denied."

VapidP

Bronze

Postby VapidP » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:49 am

Has there been a big acceptance "wave" in a while? It seems like its mostly just a few here and there, or one offs, very much unlike what happened with the first big January one.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:55 am

sigree wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

Is it better or worse?

The letter says, "yours is one of a select group of applicants placed on Hold and htat you will be given every possible consideration as the season continues....some applicants may be ultimately offered admission, some placed on Reserve and ..... some denied."

I think it's better since you're still under active consideration. did you just get this decision?

sigree

Bronze

Postby sigree » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:58 am

Keilz wrote:
sigree wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

Is it better or worse?

I think it's better since you're still under active consideration. did you just get this decision?

Yes, I just got it. Does active consideration mean I still have the same chances of admission, rejection etc.? Why not just waitlist me?

tinycatfriend

Bronze

Postby tinycatfriend » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:06 pm

I think hold is just saying, "we're confused, let us know if you want to come, maybe that will up your chances" tbh

Thelaw23

Silver

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:08 pm

sigree wrote:
Keilz wrote:
sigree wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

Is it better or worse?

Yes, I just got it. Does active consideration mean I still have the same chances of admission, rejection etc.? Why not just waitlist me?

Waitlist in general means like, you're not in consideration for the main class anymore. If we mess up and didn't admit enough people or too many of them didjt matriculate, then we might take you off the waitlist.

A hold seems like they are just telling you that they need more time but you are still in consideration for the main class.
I think it is much much better than a waitlist.

Only 4-6% of people get off the CLS waitlist. They put hundreds of people on it. The fact they decided to put you on hold and not the waitlist should give you a lot of hope.
(I'm really sorry to everyone who got waitlisted :( )

dwbh

New

Postby dwbh » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:13 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
sigree wrote:
Keilz wrote:
sigree wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

Is it better or worse?

Waitlist in general means like, you're not in consideration for the main class anymore. If we mess up and didn't admit enough people or too many of them didjt matriculate, then we might take you off the waitlist.

A hold seems like they are just telling you that they need more time but you are still in consideration for the main class.

Only 4-6% of people get off the CLS waitlist. They put hundreds of people on it. The fact they decided to put you on hold and not the waitlist should give you a lot of hope.

Where did you get those numbers?

Thelaw23

Silver

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:16 pm

dwbh wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
sigree wrote:
Keilz wrote:
sigree wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

Is it better or worse?

Where did you get those numbers?

Google up waitlist law school statistics or something. I looked it up and found a thread on TLS which gives 2012 - 2014 Waitlist stats. Amount of people who stayed on the WL/who got off the waitlist by schools.

No one compiled the data for 2015 - 2016 but I don't know if it would be a lot different.

Somebody told me, though, that the % for Columbia waitlist is so low because they WL so many people. I heard people with high 150 LSAT's were getting WL'ed.

This means if you got waitlisted but you DO have CLS numbers, your % is much higher than 4 - 6%
Last edited by Thelaw23 on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:21 pm

jjcorvino wrote:Columbia's financial aid paperwork is crazy. Why do they need the same information as CSS in their own format?

I wish I knew. I'm currently scrounging up 2015 W2s from old employers and it's a big hassle. Thankfully my parents and spouse are more organized than I am and have all their sh*t together to send in already.

sigree

Bronze

Postby sigree » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:24 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
sigree wrote:
Keilz wrote:
sigree wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

Is it better or worse?

Thanks for taking the time to explain. I'll definitely hold onto that hope.

JGPGH

New

Postby JGPGH » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:29 pm

Hi everyone, I just got put on reserve today and I'm a little confused on what that means. Would someone be able to clarify what being put in the Reserve group is, and how it compares to wait list and hold? Thanks

Thelaw23

Silver

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:30 pm

JGPGH wrote:Hi everyone, I just got put on reserve today and I'm a little confused on what that means. Would someone be able to clarify what being put in the Reserve group is, and how it compares to wait list and hold? Thanks

Hi. Reserve = Waitlist. Make sure to submit LOCI's, any new LOR/Resume Updates closer to when they start reviewing the Reserve group.
There is also a thread on the forum for everyone who got put on CLS's reserve group. I'm sorry, but there is still hope and good luck!

JGPGH

New

Postby JGPGH » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:14 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
JGPGH wrote:Hi everyone, I just got put on reserve today and I'm a little confused on what that means. Would someone be able to clarify what being put in the Reserve group is, and how it compares to wait list and hold? Thanks

Hi. Reserve = Waitlist. Make sure to submit LOCI's, any new LOR/Resume Updates closer to when they start reviewing the Reserve group.
There is also a thread on the forum for everyone who got put on CLS's reserve group. I'm sorry, but there is still hope and good luck!

Ok awesome, thank you! Honestly my numbers are nowhere even close to being in the range for Columbia and I'm not a URM either so this is great news for me. Guess I'll have to start working on the LOCI's soon! Thanks again

MrJD2020

Bronze

Postby MrJD2020 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:29 pm

Best to send a very brief thank-you after an interview?

unrelated

Bronze

Postby unrelated » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:41 pm

MrJD2020 wrote:Best to send a very brief thank-you after an interview?

I did and got a reply! Go for it.

Nickel94

Bronze

Postby Nickel94 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:26 pm

unrelated wrote:

I did and got a reply! Go for it.

I did as well and, not only did I not get a reply, I still have no reply from Columbia (nothing in mail today)!!
LSAT, GPA > 50th's

hellohalo

Silver

Postby hellohalo » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:41 pm

I said thank you at the end of my interview, that's enough for me. I didn't send a note and I was accepted pretty soon after the interview.

So it's totally up to you. If it makes you feel better, go for it. If not, they get one less "junk mail".

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?