Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What's your status?

Waiting
0
No votes
Waitlisted
12
44%
Accepted
15
56%
Rejected
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 27

lawschool2017712

Bronze
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:38 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lawschool2017712 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:02 pm

x
Last edited by lawschool2017712 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lawbatman

New
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lawbatman » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:13 pm

lawschool2017712 wrote:UR1: 12/6...date updated today, UR2??


I am in the same boat.
Here's hoping there's an answer before they break for the holidays!

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:26 pm

proteinshake wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:When are your scholarship interviews scheduled for? I just scheduled mine for late January.

still doing my CSS, are there still time slots available for dates in early Jan???


I got my time in late Jan. I know there were morning times before like 1/20, not sure about afternoon

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby proteinshake » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:28 pm

some photos of Duke Law https://law.duke.edu/gallery/4/

addie1412

Silver
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby addie1412 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:46 pm

Did we need to complete CSS before signing up for an interview? I went ahead and signed up for an early January slot but haven't yet submitted CSS.

User avatar
Christinabruin

Bronze
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Christinabruin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:57 pm

addie1412 wrote:Did we need to complete CSS before signing up for an interview? I went ahead and signed up for an early January slot but haven't yet submitted CSS.


Wondering this too! Would it be fine to complete the CSS just anytime before your interview?

potterotter

Bronze
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby potterotter » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:04 am

---
Last edited by potterotter on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

SlippinJimmy

New
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:01 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SlippinJimmy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:13 am

Priority reserve :shock:.

Priority track, over 75th LSAT, median GPA, wrote a Why Duke. I'd like to attend Duke so please tell me this is YP.

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby proteinshake » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:18 am

SlippinJimmy wrote:Priority reserve :shock:.

Priority track, over 75th LSAT, median GPA, wrote a Why Duke. I'd like to attend Duke so please tell me this is YP.

is Duke absolutely your top choice? If so, send a LOCI stating that if you get accepted that you'll attend.

SlippinJimmy

New
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:01 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SlippinJimmy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:23 am

proteinshake wrote:
SlippinJimmy wrote:Priority reserve :shock:.

Priority track, over 75th LSAT, median GPA, wrote a Why Duke. I'd like to attend Duke so please tell me this is YP.

is Duke absolutely your top choice? If so, send a LOCI stating that if you get accepted that you'll attend.


No, but it's among my top. Duke with a healthy scholarship would be difficult to turn down. I hope there isn't something egregious with my application...

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby proteinshake » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:44 am

SlippinJimmy wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
SlippinJimmy wrote:Priority reserve :shock:.

Priority track, over 75th LSAT, median GPA, wrote a Why Duke. I'd like to attend Duke so please tell me this is YP.

is Duke absolutely your top choice? If so, send a LOCI stating that if you get accepted that you'll attend.


No, but it's among my top. Duke with a healthy scholarship would be difficult to turn down. I hope there isn't something egregious with my application...

in that case just send a really strong LOCI saying you are strongly considering Duke and stuff.

addie1412

Silver
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby addie1412 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:26 am

potterotter wrote:
Christinabruin wrote:
addie1412 wrote:Did we need to complete CSS before signing up for an interview? I went ahead and signed up for an early January slot but haven't yet submitted CSS.


Wondering this too! Would it be fine to complete the CSS just anytime before your interview?


It says it specifically in the instructions that you should submit CSS before the application, then interview.


Since they explicitly said: "Please note, this form should not be submitted until after you have submitted your CSS PROFILE application" in regards to the Duke scholarship application, I assumed they would have said something similar if they didn't want us to sign up for an interview prior to submitting CSS. But they actually didn't

potterotter

Bronze
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby potterotter » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:37 am

---
Last edited by potterotter on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
laqueredup

Bronze
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:05 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby laqueredup » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:03 pm

.
Last edited by laqueredup on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2318
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Keilz » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:14 pm

potterotter wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
potterotter wrote:
Christinabruin wrote:
addie1412 wrote:Did we need to complete CSS before signing up for an interview? I went ahead and signed up for an early January slot but haven't yet submitted CSS.


Wondering this too! Would it be fine to complete the CSS just anytime before your interview?


It says it specifically in the instructions that you should submit CSS before the application, then interview.


Since they explicitly said: "Please note, this form should not be submitted until after you have submitted your CSS PROFILE application" in regards to the Duke scholarship application, I assumed they would have said something similar if they didn't want us to sign up for an interview prior to submitting CSS. But they actually didn't


It is quite literally listed in steps, with signing up for an interview being the last step in the process.


Yes it says interview after submitting the form, but not *sign up* for interview

potterotter

Bronze
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby potterotter » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:10 pm

---
Last edited by potterotter on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Christinabruin

Bronze
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Christinabruin » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:30 pm

potterotter wrote:
Keilz wrote:
potterotter wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
potterotter wrote:
Christinabruin wrote:
addie1412 wrote:Did we need to complete CSS before signing up for an interview? I went ahead and signed up for an early January slot but haven't yet submitted CSS.


Wondering this too! Would it be fine to complete the CSS just anytime before your interview?


It says it specifically in the instructions that you should submit CSS before the application, then interview.


Since they explicitly said: "Please note, this form should not be submitted until after you have submitted your CSS PROFILE application" in regards to the Duke scholarship application, I assumed they would have said something similar if they didn't want us to sign up for an interview prior to submitting CSS. But they actually didn't


It is quite literally listed in steps, with signing up for an interview being the last step in the process.


Yes it says interview after submitting the form, but not *sign up* for interview


Step 3 is "schedule or decline optional interview" not conduct said interview. The step is to schedule.


Well since they didn't explicitly say we shouldn't sign up for an interview before completing CSS, and since I had no trouble doing so this morning, I think it should be fine.

noroomfordoubt

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:35 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby noroomfordoubt » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:21 pm

Christinabruin wrote:
noroomfordoubt wrote:
Christinabruin wrote:
noroomfordoubt wrote:Hey y'all! Long-time lurker and first time poster.
I didn't come across this in my searches, so forgive me if it's been asked and answered, but for PT applicants: has anyone else had the situation where on the status checker, your current status is "under review," but "welcome packet" is listed in your mailings? Ideas on what this means? Thanks!


It said "welcome packet" under my mailings after I got my acceptance email and after my status changed to "decision made." So maybe you missed your acceptance email? What day of PT are you?


Nah, I'm definitely still under review, they updated today and it still says that. I'm day 7 of PT so assuming the welcome packet was a typo... one of the quit-playing-games-with-my-heart variety if I don't get in! Ha.


Oh in that case it makes more sense that it is a typo! A very strange one but hopefully it means something good :D


If anyone in this or future cycles runs into this same situation, FYI I did end up being accepted! If anyone is curious, GPA ~ 25%, 25% > LSAT > 50%, URM, no "Why Duke?"

User avatar
jb111

New
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:35 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jb111 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:25 pm

SlippinJimmy wrote:Priority reserve :shock:.

Priority track, over 75th LSAT, median GPA, wrote a Why Duke. I'd like to attend Duke so please tell me this is YP.


I am in a really similar position: Priority Track/similar stats/Why Duke -> Priority Reserve.

It's hard to know. Could be YP or could be something they didn't like about my (or your) application. Maybe applying Priority Track rushed them into a decision and made it more likely to get YPed (so they can check back in later and see if you are still interested).

In any case, you aren't alone. I'm going to send in a LOCI on Monday.

User avatar
Christinabruin

Bronze
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Christinabruin » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:54 pm

noroomfordoubt wrote:
Christinabruin wrote:
noroomfordoubt wrote:
Christinabruin wrote:
noroomfordoubt wrote:Hey y'all! Long-time lurker and first time poster.
I didn't come across this in my searches, so forgive me if it's been asked and answered, but for PT applicants: has anyone else had the situation where on the status checker, your current status is "under review," but "welcome packet" is listed in your mailings? Ideas on what this means? Thanks!


It said "welcome packet" under my mailings after I got my acceptance email and after my status changed to "decision made." So maybe you missed your acceptance email? What day of PT are you?


Nah, I'm definitely still under review, they updated today and it still says that. I'm day 7 of PT so assuming the welcome packet was a typo... one of the quit-playing-games-with-my-heart variety if I don't get in! Ha.


Oh in that case it makes more sense that it is a typo! A very strange one but hopefully it means something good :D


If anyone in this or future cycles runs into this same situation, FYI I did end up being accepted! If anyone is curious, GPA ~ 25%, 25% > LSAT > 50%, URM, no "Why Duke?"


Congratulations!!! Looks like it wasn't a typo after all ;)

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:44 pm

Anyone know what the commute between Durham-Raleigh is like, My SO is looking at one of the two for work but we may not know where she is working by the time we have to get living arrangements and may have to just make a decision.

I know they're real close as a trip, but I'm worried about splitting the difference and having to make the commute everyday. Can anyone speak to traffic/commute type around that area?

ithrowds

Bronze
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:19 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ithrowds » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:02 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Anyone know what the commute between Durham-Raleigh is like, My SO is looking at one of the two for work but we may not know where she is working by the time we have to get living arrangements and may have to just make a decision.

I know they're real close as a trip, but I'm worried about splitting the difference and having to make the commute everyday. Can anyone speak to traffic/commute type around that area?


Current student here, I think most people live in Durham within 10 minutes of the law school (Trinity Commons, Lofts, Garrett West, Pinnacle), and I haven't heard of many people making the commute from Raleigh (other than those living with family). I'd imagine its doable as long as you're willing for it to take about 40-45 minutes to get to school and another 40-45 back home. You've gotta factor in the 10-15ish minutes it takes to park in the new garage and walk to school.

User avatar
lymenheimer

Gold
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lymenheimer » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:59 pm

ithrowds wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Anyone know what the commute between Durham-Raleigh is like, My SO is looking at one of the two for work but we may not know where she is working by the time we have to get living arrangements and may have to just make a decision.

I know they're real close as a trip, but I'm worried about splitting the difference and having to make the commute everyday. Can anyone speak to traffic/commute type around that area?


Current student here, I think most people live in Durham within 10 minutes of the law school (Trinity Commons, Lofts, Garrett West, Pinnacle), and I haven't heard of many people making the commute from Raleigh (other than those living with family). I'd imagine its doable as long as you're willing for it to take about 40-45 minutes to get to school and another 40-45 back home. You've gotta factor in the 10-15ish minutes it takes to park in the new garage and walk to school.


I have a friend who lives in between(ish) (about 30 minute commute). He wishes he lived closer to the school. It really depends on your timing for driving though.

eta: I've lived in between and made both directions. It's not too bad.
Last edited by lymenheimer on Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joeytribbiani

Bronze
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:32 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby joeytribbiani » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:44 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Anyone know what the commute between Durham-Raleigh is like, My SO is looking at one of the two for work but we may not know where she is working by the time we have to get living arrangements and may have to just make a decision.

I know they're real close as a trip, but I'm worried about splitting the difference and having to make the commute everyday. Can anyone speak to traffic/commute type around that area?


I can't speak personally to the commute but I have a friend that has been living/working in Raleigh for a couple years now that I'll likely live with if I decide on Duke. She went there for undergrad so she knows the area pretty well and since neither of us wants to do the full commute (i.e. live right by school and her have the full drive or vice versa) she was looking at places in RTP that she said would be 15-20 minutes each, which doesn't seem bad. Obviously depends on exactly where you end up, but it seems like it's pretty doable if you're willing to split commute.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:19 am

joeytribbiani wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Anyone know what the commute between Durham-Raleigh is like, My SO is looking at one of the two for work but we may not know where she is working by the time we have to get living arrangements and may have to just make a decision.

I know they're real close as a trip, but I'm worried about splitting the difference and having to make the commute everyday. Can anyone speak to traffic/commute type around that area?


I can't speak personally to the commute but I have a friend that has been living/working in Raleigh for a couple years now that I'll likely live with if I decide on Duke. She went there for undergrad so she knows the area pretty well and since neither of us wants to do the full commute (i.e. live right by school and her have the full drive or vice versa) she was looking at places in RTP that she said would be 15-20 minutes each, which doesn't seem bad. Obviously depends on exactly where you end up, but it seems like it's pretty doable if you're willing to split commute.


Oh yeah, compared what I have now 15-20 minutes is nothing lol. I'm glad to hear that sounds like the norm. I wasn't sure if rush hour would make it like triple in length or something



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 12 guests