Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What's your status?

Waiting
0
No votes
Waitlisted
12
44%
Accepted
15
56%
Rejected
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 27

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4637
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby proteinshake » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:58 pm

Dean Levi's Wikipedia page is impressive!

GOODWORKSTE

New
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:33 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby GOODWORKSTE » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:05 pm

proteinshake wrote:Dean Levi's Wikipedia page is impressive!



Very. I cannot wait to meet him at ASW!

LawTweet

Bronze
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby LawTweet » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:17 pm

eck456 wrote:
LawTweet wrote:I haven't received the scholarship forms yet but I'm already concerned. My parents have already shared that they will not be providing any financial support to me for law school. They are also outraged that schools expect a parental contribution and have thus said that they will not be providing any of their information for a financial aid application. For what it's worth, I'm completely financially independent and have been out of school for several years.

Anyway, I accepted my parents' directives without any sort of a fight. I had never really expected to receive any need-based aid anyway. My plan is to pursue the merit aid route and supplement with loans. But it sounds like Duke requires a need-based aid application to qualify for merit-based aid. Will I now be ineligible for merit scholarships because of my parents' refusal to provide their financial information?


I would call the financial aid office and explain to them you are 100% independent of your parents...if you can show that you've been self-supporting for x # of years and say your parents 100% refuse to provide financial info you might be able to get them to accept a financial aid app for need just on your own, with a $0 EFC. That's not to say you won't still need to get loans, but often offices are willing to work with people when there's a situation like this (I'm an ex-college prep advisor, and I've been to a bunch of financial aid conferences/ workshops). I personally messed this up on my college forms and wound up loosing out on $$, so just remember that SOME need based aid is better than NONE if they're willing to at least look @ you on your own merits. This actually isn't super rare - think about if you're a foster kid or something and don't have an adult guardian, or people who don't have regular contact with a parent

ETA: The financial aid office can choose to be dicks about it of course, but just don't give up on trying at all for need based and relying on loans without talking to someone. This also differs institution to institution, so if you're applying to more than one school I'd talk individually with each institution, because someone's bound to be a jerk and toe the line but someone else is going to be nice and help you out. Good luck!


Got the following email back:

"Good afternoon,

If you are applying for scholarship funding based on Merit and Need, parental financial information is required.

If your parents are not willing to provide this information, you will need to apply for scholarship funding based on Merit-only.

Thank you for your continued interest in attending Duke University School of Law."

User avatar
TexasENG

Silver
Posts: 1074
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby TexasENG » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:23 pm

.
Last edited by TexasENG on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
azaleafire

Bronze
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby azaleafire » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:44 pm

TexasENG wrote:
LawTweet wrote:
eck456 wrote:
LawTweet wrote:Got the following email back:

"Good afternoon,

If you are applying for scholarship funding based on Merit and Need, parental financial information is required.

If your parents are not willing to provide this information, you will need to apply for scholarship funding based on Merit-only.

Thank you for your continued interest in attending Duke University School of Law."


I received a similar response to this regarding a question on my parents. I don't think I was going to qualify for need based aid anyway, but its still frustrating.


I figured I would save someone the email and also add my response:

I emailed because for undergrad I got a noncustodial parent waiver, and wanted to know if they did a similar process.

I got the same email as back with "If you cannot obtain the parental financial information for the NCP-Noncustodial parent, you can explain this is the “Explanations/Special Circumstances” Section of your CSS PROFILE application. If questions arise during the Scholarship Committee’s review of your application, someone will contact you."

noroomfordoubt

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:35 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby noroomfordoubt » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:39 pm

Christinabruin wrote:
noroomfordoubt wrote:Hey y'all! Long-time lurker and first time poster.
I didn't come across this in my searches, so forgive me if it's been asked and answered, but for PT applicants: has anyone else had the situation where on the status checker, your current status is "under review," but "welcome packet" is listed in your mailings? Ideas on what this means? Thanks!


It said "welcome packet" under my mailings after I got my acceptance email and after my status changed to "decision made." So maybe you missed your acceptance email? What day of PT are you?


Nah, I'm definitely still under review, they updated today and it still says that. I'm day 7 of PT so assuming the welcome packet was a typo... one of the quit-playing-games-with-my-heart variety if I don't get in! Ha.

User avatar
Christinabruin

Bronze
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Christinabruin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:24 am

noroomfordoubt wrote:
Christinabruin wrote:
noroomfordoubt wrote:Hey y'all! Long-time lurker and first time poster.
I didn't come across this in my searches, so forgive me if it's been asked and answered, but for PT applicants: has anyone else had the situation where on the status checker, your current status is "under review," but "welcome packet" is listed in your mailings? Ideas on what this means? Thanks!


It said "welcome packet" under my mailings after I got my acceptance email and after my status changed to "decision made." So maybe you missed your acceptance email? What day of PT are you?


Nah, I'm definitely still under review, they updated today and it still says that. I'm day 7 of PT so assuming the welcome packet was a typo... one of the quit-playing-games-with-my-heart variety if I don't get in! Ha.


Oh in that case it makes more sense that it is a typo! A very strange one but hopefully it means something good :D

Kaylasvi

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:42 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Kaylasvi » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:29 am

Finally got in on day 10 of my PT!!! Anyone know what Duke's track record for merit scholly money is?

zeglo

Silver
Posts: 664
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby zeglo » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:23 am

.
Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

GOODWORKSTE

New
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:33 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby GOODWORKSTE » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:22 pm

zeglo wrote:
Kaylasvi wrote:Finally got in on day 10 of my PT!!! Anyone know what Duke's track record for merit scholly money is?


They seem to be on the generous end of the T14.

Search mylsn.info, and you'll see some good scholarship amounts.

From Std 509/LST:
15.9% Paid Full Price In 2015-16
Discounts For The 84.1%
$15k 25th
$20k 50th
$25k 75th

I'd expect more aid if you are a PT applicant.



What about ED?

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4637
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby proteinshake » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:27 pm

GOODWORKSTE wrote:
zeglo wrote:
Kaylasvi wrote:Finally got in on day 10 of my PT!!! Anyone know what Duke's track record for merit scholly money is?


They seem to be on the generous end of the T14.

Search mylsn.info, and you'll see some good scholarship amounts.

From Std 509/LST:
15.9% Paid Full Price In 2015-16
Discounts For The 84.1%
$15k 25th
$20k 50th
$25k 75th

I'd expect more aid if you are a PT applicant.



What about ED?

based on LSN, ED applicants surprisingly still get money a lot of the time, just not as much (obviously).

GOODWORKSTE

New
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:33 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby GOODWORKSTE » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:43 pm

proteinshake wrote:
GOODWORKSTE wrote:
zeglo wrote:
Kaylasvi wrote:Finally got in on day 10 of my PT!!! Anyone know what Duke's track record for merit scholly money is?


They seem to be on the generous end of the T14.

Search mylsn.info, and you'll see some good scholarship amounts.

From Std 509/LST:
15.9% Paid Full Price In 2015-16
Discounts For The 84.1%
$15k 25th
$20k 50th
$25k 75th

I'd expect more aid if you are a PT applicant.



What about ED?

based on LSN, ED applicants surprisingly still get money a lot of the time, just not as much (obviously).


awwww yisssss

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4637
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby proteinshake » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:45 pm

GOODWORKSTE wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
GOODWORKSTE wrote:
zeglo wrote:
Kaylasvi wrote:Finally got in on day 10 of my PT!!! Anyone know what Duke's track record for merit scholly money is?


They seem to be on the generous end of the T14.

Search mylsn.info, and you'll see some good scholarship amounts.

From Std 509/LST:
15.9% Paid Full Price In 2015-16
Discounts For The 84.1%
$15k 25th
$20k 50th
$25k 75th

I'd expect more aid if you are a PT applicant.



What about ED?

based on LSN, ED applicants surprisingly still get money a lot of the time, just not as much (obviously).


awwww yisssss

these applicants were above GPA median and below LSAT median btw

lauren22

New
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:45 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lauren22 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:48 pm

How has everyone else found out they got admitted - regular mail, phone call, e-mail? I feel like my application is weird. I've gotten into a few higher-ranked schools but haven't heard back from Duke yet, but when I checked my application status it said the decision had been made. I know that just because I got into other schools doesn't mean I would get into Duke, but given that my stats are well above the 75%... Anyway, just curious! Thanks.

User avatar
Sarastro

Bronze
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Sarastro » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:50 pm

lauren22 wrote:How has everyone else found out they got admitted - regular mail, phone call, e-mail? I feel like my application is weird. I've gotten into a few higher-ranked schools but haven't heard back from Duke yet, but when I checked my application status it said the decision had been made. I know that just because I got into other schools doesn't mean I would get into Duke, but given that my stats are well above the 75%... Anyway, just curious! Thanks.

Email and then a package about a week later. Didn't check status checker, though, so I can't speak to the relative timetable on that front.

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chargers21 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:11 pm

.
Last edited by chargers21 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rosa Parks

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:59 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Rosa Parks » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:58 am

I got Priority Waitlist for Duke on Dec. 17 ... when's a good time to send a LOCI? Should I wait for the New Year?

User avatar
jb111

New
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:35 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jb111 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:14 pm

Priority Track -> Priority Reserve.

75<<LSAT
25<GPA<50

I assumed I would be lower performing compared to the sample of people with my numbers on myLSN because of generally weak softs. Tried to make up for that with Why X essays to schools I was interested in (Duke among them).

Feels not great to be waitlisted, as I feel more like a splitter they have questions about than a splitter they are worried will jilt them for a better school.

Any thoughts on LOCI timing/content or the general situation?

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chargers21 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:07 pm

.
Last edited by chargers21 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4637
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby proteinshake » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:36 pm

zeglo wrote:
Kaylasvi wrote:Finally got in on day 10 of my PT!!! Anyone know what Duke's track record for merit scholly money is?


They seem to be on the generous end of the T14.

Search mylsn.info, and you'll see some good scholarship amounts.

From Std 509/LST:
15.9% Paid Full Price In 2015-16
Discounts For The 84.1%
$15k 25th
$20k 50th
$25k 75th

I'd expect more aid if you are a PT applicant.

so does this mean at least 75 percent of students go to Duke with $25K or less total scholarship across all three years?

User avatar
jjcorvino

Silver
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jjcorvino » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:31 pm

When are your scholarship interviews scheduled for? I just scheduled mine for late January.

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4637
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby proteinshake » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:32 pm

jjcorvino wrote:When are your scholarship interviews scheduled for? I just scheduled mine for late January.

still doing my CSS, are there still time slots available for dates in early Jan???

User avatar
jjcorvino

Silver
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jjcorvino » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:35 pm

proteinshake wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:When are your scholarship interviews scheduled for? I just scheduled mine for late January.

still doing my CSS, are there still time slots available for dates in early Jan???


There are slots starting the 12th when I checked. I didn't bother to do the CSS, I know I wont get any need based aid.

User avatar
Baby Gaga

Bronze
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Baby Gaga » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:41 pm

jjcorvino wrote:When are your scholarship interviews scheduled for? I just scheduled mine for late January.


Mine was for mid January

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chargers21 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:22 pm

.
Last edited by chargers21 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 6 guests