Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What's your status?

Waiting
0
No votes
Waitlisted
12
44%
Accepted
15
56%
Rejected
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 27

LawschoolHopeful2k16

New
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:15 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby LawschoolHopeful2k16 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:50 am

brinicolec wrote:
Keilz wrote:
taxman14 wrote:
Keilz wrote:Everyone always says those why x essays take like 30 min but for me it takes like four days!

FWIW I was at both medians didn't write a why duke and got in through PT, I think they do look at other qualities that they want to promote at their school...who knows.

I got that entrepreneur pamphlet too don't think it's customized but it's a great strategy they're doing getting people interested


I guess I take back my Why X argument. I honestly felt that if you had a Why X essay done, you could just adjust it quickly but maybe not...?

Also don't think the pamphlet thing is working now that I know they sent it to everyone - I appreciate a personal touch, not mass spamming.


I was impressed by their clerkship numbers and learning about the venture start up clinic was cool. I guess I don't expect anything personal lol Their interchangeable one liner in the acceptance letter was good for me lol

Idk for me writing the why x essays were hard but I did it for my top three schools so I cared an awful lot, and Penns was pretty different than the other two. I'm about to write for two that I'm not as excited about which will probably be a lot shorter


Took me awhile to write a Why X I liked. Nothing felt sincere. Finally figured out an angle that worked and was applicable to a lot of my top schools because they all have good placement numbers for it lol. Some had better detailing than others but that's because I like some schools better than others.

I didn't write a Why Duke. Would've if I'd seen all these posts before applying though. Anyone know if it's a good idea to email them and attach one or should I just let it go? Lol


If you submitted your app more than a couple days ago you might want to just wait.

If they wait list you then write one as a LOCI.

User avatar
lymenheimer

Gold
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lymenheimer » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:56 am

LawschoolHopeful2k16 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Keilz wrote:
taxman14 wrote:
Keilz wrote:Everyone always says those why x essays take like 30 min but for me it takes like four days!

FWIW I was at both medians didn't write a why duke and got in through PT, I think they do look at other qualities that they want to promote at their school...who knows.

I got that entrepreneur pamphlet too don't think it's customized but it's a great strategy they're doing getting people interested


I guess I take back my Why X argument. I honestly felt that if you had a Why X essay done, you could just adjust it quickly but maybe not...?

Also don't think the pamphlet thing is working now that I know they sent it to everyone - I appreciate a personal touch, not mass spamming.


I was impressed by their clerkship numbers and learning about the venture start up clinic was cool. I guess I don't expect anything personal lol Their interchangeable one liner in the acceptance letter was good for me lol

Idk for me writing the why x essays were hard but I did it for my top three schools so I cared an awful lot, and Penns was pretty different than the other two. I'm about to write for two that I'm not as excited about which will probably be a lot shorter


Took me awhile to write a Why X I liked. Nothing felt sincere. Finally figured out an angle that worked and was applicable to a lot of my top schools because they all have good placement numbers for it lol. Some had better detailing than others but that's because I like some schools better than others.

I didn't write a Why Duke. Would've if I'd seen all these posts before applying though. Anyone know if it's a good idea to email them and attach one or should I just let it go? Lol


If you submitted your app more than a couple days ago you might want to just wait.

If they wait list you then write one as a LOCI.


If you have a solid one, feel free to submit it and they'll add it to your file. Probably easier to get in initially than to have to battle the waitlist.

aaron1621

New
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby aaron1621 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:21 am

I have been UR since 9/14 RD, any meaning with the length of time I have been UR?

User avatar
airwrecka

Silver
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby airwrecka » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:22 am

So I got my acceptance packet/package from Duke in the mail yesterday (was notified of acceptance a little over a week ago via e-mail), and while this is just a silly little thing, the binder/folder that had all the materials in it looked like it had been used by 3 students before they sent it to me... -_- It was practically destroyed. And I would blame USPS, but the binder/folder was IN another envelope (which was barely beat up at all)...

User avatar
taxman14

Bronze
Posts: 499
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:04 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby taxman14 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:26 am

airwrecka wrote:So I got my acceptance packet/package from Duke in the mail yesterday (was notified of acceptance a little over a week ago via e-mail), and while this is just a silly little thing, the binder/folder that had all the materials in it looked like it had been used by 3 students before they sent it to me... -_- It was practically destroyed. And I would blame USPS, but the binder/folder was IN another envelope (which was barely beat up at all)...


Had the same thing happen to me. No joke. I thought it was pretty shitty because it looked like the package had been opened before I had.

Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Keilz » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:34 am

taxman14 wrote:
airwrecka wrote:So I got my acceptance packet/package from Duke in the mail yesterday (was notified of acceptance a little over a week ago via e-mail), and while this is just a silly little thing, the binder/folder that had all the materials in it looked like it had been used by 3 students before they sent it to me... -_- It was practically destroyed. And I would blame USPS, but the binder/folder was IN another envelope (which was barely beat up at all)...


Had the same thing happen to me. No joke. I thought it was pretty shitty because it looked like the package had been opened before I had.


Yeah my package was rough, but the rest of the materials looked very old lol same with the keychain. They probably ordered like 10,000 in 1995 for a bulk discount

lawcapture

Bronze
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:40 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lawcapture » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:36 am

aaron1621 wrote:I have been UR since 9/14 RD, any meaning with the length of time I have been UR?


I've been UR3 since 10/7 and submitted 9/30 for RD. I've only seen one person post that they were accepted RD and it was last week I think. Cautiously optimistic that we'll hear back early December

addie1412

Silver
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby addie1412 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:47 am

day 5 of PT ugh. this could not be going any slower

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby proteinshake » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:52 am

Keilz wrote:
taxman14 wrote:
airwrecka wrote:So I got my acceptance packet/package from Duke in the mail yesterday (was notified of acceptance a little over a week ago via e-mail), and while this is just a silly little thing, the binder/folder that had all the materials in it looked like it had been used by 3 students before they sent it to me... -_- It was practically destroyed. And I would blame USPS, but the binder/folder was IN another envelope (which was barely beat up at all)...


Had the same thing happen to me. No joke. I thought it was pretty shitty because it looked like the package had been opened before I had.


Yeah my package was rough, but the rest of the materials looked very old lol same with the keychain. They probably ordered like 10,000 in 1995 for a bulk discount

how long after acceptance did you get the package? I didn't think we were getting it until after scholly interviews.

User avatar
taxman14

Bronze
Posts: 499
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:04 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby taxman14 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:03 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Keilz wrote:
taxman14 wrote:
airwrecka wrote:So I got my acceptance packet/package from Duke in the mail yesterday (was notified of acceptance a little over a week ago via e-mail), and while this is just a silly little thing, the binder/folder that had all the materials in it looked like it had been used by 3 students before they sent it to me... -_- It was practically destroyed. And I would blame USPS, but the binder/folder was IN another envelope (which was barely beat up at all)...


Had the same thing happen to me. No joke. I thought it was pretty shitty because it looked like the package had been opened before I had.


Yeah my package was rough, but the rest of the materials looked very old lol same with the keychain. They probably ordered like 10,000 in 1995 for a bulk discount

how long after acceptance did you get the package? I didn't think we were getting it until after scholly interviews.


I want to say like a week? It's been mad long.

User avatar
Kaziende

Bronze
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:10 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Kaziende » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:15 pm

taxman14 wrote:
airwrecka wrote:So I got my acceptance packet/package from Duke in the mail yesterday (was notified of acceptance a little over a week ago via e-mail), and while this is just a silly little thing, the binder/folder that had all the materials in it looked like it had been used by 3 students before they sent it to me... -_- It was practically destroyed. And I would blame USPS, but the binder/folder was IN another envelope (which was barely beat up at all)...


Had the same thing happen to me. No joke. I thought it was pretty shitty because it looked like the package had been opened before I had.

You guys too?? Wow lol yeah the blue envelope was beat up and torn at the edges but the outer envelope was fine. Totally weird. I really wonder what that's about. Any theories? I'm thinking they put those 250 campus lemurs to work in the admissions office. (But really why is that relevant to our decision of where to attend law school? "I like Michigan and UVA, but Duke has the most lemurs so...")

User avatar
govlife

Bronze
Posts: 264
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:41 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby govlife » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:25 pm

lawcapture wrote:
aaron1621 wrote:I have been UR since 9/14 RD, any meaning with the length of time I have been UR?


I've been UR3 since 10/7 and submitted 9/30 for RD. I've only seen one person post that they were accepted RD and it was last week I think. Cautiously optimistic that we'll hear back early December

UR3 since 10/9 here. Submitted RD 9/16. I think with all the PT, they just don't have time for us RD folks.

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1224
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:10 pm

govlife wrote:
lawcapture wrote:
aaron1621 wrote:I have been UR since 9/14 RD, any meaning with the length of time I have been UR?


I've been UR3 since 10/7 and submitted 9/30 for RD. I've only seen one person post that they were accepted RD and it was last week I think. Cautiously optimistic that we'll hear back early December

UR3 since 10/9 here. Submitted RD 9/16. I think with all the PT, they just don't have time for us RD folks.


I hope they also have time for us ED (non-PT) folks too :( :( :(

illini2016

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:17 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby illini2016 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:57 pm

Complete and under review 10/30. Latest status date finally changed today. Should I be expecting a rendered decision?

tinycatfriend

Bronze
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby tinycatfriend » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:54 pm

Admitted! 169/3.58 GPA, but a lot of softs

lawcapture

Bronze
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:40 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lawcapture » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:55 pm

tinycatfriend wrote:Admitted! 169/3.58 GPA, but a lot of softs


RD or PT?

tinycatfriend

Bronze
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby tinycatfriend » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:56 pm

PT

User avatar
hammy393

Bronze
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby hammy393 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:17 pm

tinycatfriend wrote:PT

Congrats! When did your file go complete? Today is Day 9 for me...

joeytribbiani

Bronze
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:32 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby joeytribbiani » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:26 pm

Kaziende wrote:
taxman14 wrote:
airwrecka wrote:So I got my acceptance packet/package from Duke in the mail yesterday (was notified of acceptance a little over a week ago via e-mail), and while this is just a silly little thing, the binder/folder that had all the materials in it looked like it had been used by 3 students before they sent it to me... -_- It was practically destroyed. And I would blame USPS, but the binder/folder was IN another envelope (which was barely beat up at all)...


Had the same thing happen to me. No joke. I thought it was pretty shitty because it looked like the package had been opened before I had.

You guys too?? Wow lol yeah the blue envelope was beat up and torn at the edges but the outer envelope was fine. Totally weird. I really wonder what that's about. Any theories? I'm thinking they put those 250 campus lemurs to work in the admissions office. (But really why is that relevant to our decision of where to attend law school? "I like Michigan and UVA, but Duke has the most lemurs so...")


Cracked up reading this. Some of my best friends went to Duke for undergrad and they always talk about the lemurs. Duke people love their lemurs.

tinycatfriend

Bronze
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby tinycatfriend » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:33 pm

It took until 9 pm of day 10 for me to get a response.... so don't stress!

User avatar
Christinabruin

Bronze
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Christinabruin » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:30 pm

hammy393 wrote:
tinycatfriend wrote:PT

Congrats! When did your file go complete? Today is Day 9 for me...


Today is Day 9 for me too! Did you hear back yet? I really hope I don't have to wait until Thanksgiving is over!

addie1412

Silver
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby addie1412 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:02 pm

day 6/10 :!:

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3431
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby guynourmin » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:00 pm

addie1412 wrote:day 6/10 :!:


7/10 for me! I am expecting Thanksgiving to delay the decisions, but I just looked at the thread from last year and people were receiving decisions (in and WL) on Friday, so I can torture myself all weekend!

acz26

Bronze
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:37 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby acz26 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:21 am

Anyone know when scholarship interviews will start?

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby proteinshake » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:22 am

acz26 wrote:Anyone know when scholarship interviews will start?

early December.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests