Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What's your status?

Waiting
0
No votes
Waitlisted
12
46%
Accepted
14
54%
Rejected
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 26

User avatar
chandhi
Posts: 1786
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chandhi » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:21 pm

Nightwing wrote:
chandhi wrote:Just withdrew and threw some money back in. Check LSN (same username) for exact info.

Best of luck, all!


Thank you, friend. A bit of hope for some PR second glances.

Yes! Rooting hard for you, Nightwing.

eck456
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:07 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby eck456 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:51 pm

chandhi wrote:
Nightwing wrote:
chandhi wrote:Just withdrew and threw some money back in. Check LSN (same username) for exact info.

Best of luck, all!


Thank you, friend. A bit of hope for some PR second glances.

Yes! Rooting hard for you, Nightwing.



I'll also prob be out by the end of the week freeing some $$ as well. I don't LSN, but good luck and hope someone amazing gets the spot!

User avatar
Dangerous Dick Nixon
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Dangerous Dick Nixon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:52 am

What are you all planning to do for housing?

User avatar
proteinshake
Posts: 4553
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby proteinshake » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:56 am

Dangerous Dick Nixon wrote:What are you all planning to do for housing?

got a master bedroom in a condo for $650 a month.

If I wasn't doing that I'd likely be staying at West Garrett with a roommate (mid-700s and it's SUPER nice)

User avatar
Dangerous Dick Nixon
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Dangerous Dick Nixon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:03 am

proteinshake wrote:
Dangerous Dick Nixon wrote:What are you all planning to do for housing?

got a master bedroom in a condo for $650 a month.

If I wasn't doing that I'd likely be staying at West Garrett with a roommate (mid-700s and it's SUPER nice)

Lower cost of living is a beautiful thing.

User avatar
Stephylynette
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:04 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Stephylynette » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:09 pm

Dangerous Dick Nixon wrote:What are you all planning to do for housing?

probably overpaying for a 1 bed in Garrett West bc I have a dog and don't want a roommate for 1L but I got a relatively good deal with my lease so I'm at peace with it. Also got a 9 month lease in case I get lucky and get a job outside of Raleigh/Durham.

pizzagoblin
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:24 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby pizzagoblin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:31 pm

Just turned down my seat, freeing up some $$ for the rest of you. Best of luck to those on the WL!

somedeadman
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby somedeadman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:01 pm

pizzagoblin wrote:Just turned down my seat, freeing up some $$ for the rest of you. Best of luck to those on the WL!

You're a saint

User avatar
dasq5511
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 3:52 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby dasq5511 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:26 pm

Anyone know when scholarship awards are done? I'm waiting on reconsideration and they said they won't start till after that.

Sadnessandmisfortune
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Sadnessandmisfortune » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:15 pm

dasq5511 wrote:Anyone know when scholarship awards are done? I'm waiting on reconsideration and they said they won't start till after that.


They told me the same thing, but they also told me that they would let me know early April because I told them that I need to know by April 10th since that's my first deposit deadline. So I'm hoping they let me know this week.

User avatar
dasq5511
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 3:52 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby dasq5511 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:26 pm

Sadnessandmisfortune wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:Anyone know when scholarship awards are done? I'm waiting on reconsideration and they said they won't start till after that.


They told me the same thing, but they also told me that they would let me know early April because I told them that I need to know by April 10th since that's my first deposit deadline. So I'm hoping they let me know this week.


Yeah, I'm worried about having enough time to negotiate with schools that have April 14th deadlines.

User avatar
proteinshake
Posts: 4553
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby proteinshake » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:27 pm

Duke employment data for the class of 2016 is out and they killed it :!:

77.7% in big law + fed clerk
15.6% in fed clerkships

link to data: https://law.duke.edu/sites/default/file ... ss2016.pdf
link to employment thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=276222

User avatar
dasq5511
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 3:52 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby dasq5511 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:44 pm

proteinshake wrote:Duke employment data for the class of 2016 is out and they killed it :!:

77.7% in big law + fed clerk
15.6% in fed clerkships

link to data: https://law.duke.edu/sites/default/file ... ss2016.pdf
link to employment thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=276222


This is making my decision between Duke and NU/UChi harder and harder. That clerkship number is very impressive.

User avatar
proteinshake
Posts: 4553
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby proteinshake » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:48 pm

dasq5511 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:Duke employment data for the class of 2016 is out and they killed it :!:

77.7% in big law + fed clerk
15.6% in fed clerkships

link to data: https://law.duke.edu/sites/default/file ... ss2016.pdf
link to employment thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=276222


This is making my decision between Duke and NU/UChi harder and harder. That clerkship number is very impressive.

Duke has always been > NU imo (at the same cost)

User avatar
nimbus cloud
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:19 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby nimbus cloud » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:55 pm

Wow. That is a significant improvement in federal clerkships compared to last year (like 5+ percentage points?)

User avatar
dasq5511
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 3:52 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby dasq5511 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:00 pm

proteinshake wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:Duke employment data for the class of 2016 is out and they killed it :!:

77.7% in big law + fed clerk
15.6% in fed clerkships

link to data: https://law.duke.edu/sites/default/file ... ss2016.pdf
link to employment thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=276222


This is making my decision between Duke and NU/UChi harder and harder. That clerkship number is very impressive.

Duke has always been > NU imo (at the same cost)


I agree, NU gets a little bump just because I really don't want to live in NC and for a few other personal reasons I won't get into. It's really the diminishing difference between Chi clerkships and Duke's thats interesting.

grades??
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby grades?? » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:00 pm

I posted this in another thread, but don't be surprised if that # goes up in the next few years. A new clerkship coordinator was hired a few years ago and she is really turning it around. Like night and day. I called the increase before these numbers came out and next year I imagine it will be even higher. Duke literally has either the first highest or second highest BL +FC of all the t13. Yet people choose NYU for prestige LUL.

User avatar
proteinshake
Posts: 4553
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby proteinshake » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:05 pm

soon it will be CCD.

Keilz
Posts: 2291
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Keilz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:12 pm

Damn those numbers are so tempting. Right now Duke is my third choice. I don't know if I have time to visit :( :(

User avatar
dasq5511
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 3:52 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby dasq5511 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:29 pm

Keilz wrote:Damn those numbers are so tempting. Right now Duke is my third choice. I don't know if I have time to visit :( :(


fwiw I was pleasantly surprised by my visit

User avatar
proteinshake
Posts: 4553
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby proteinshake » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:30 pm

Keilz wrote:Damn those numbers are so tempting. Right now Duke is my third choice. I don't know if I have time to visit :( :(

I feel like you really should visit to make an informed decision. most people on TLS give a really inaccurate picture of Durham (if that's what you're worried about). Is it behind Mich and UVA for you?

Keilz
Posts: 2291
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Keilz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:36 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Keilz wrote:Damn those numbers are so tempting. Right now Duke is my third choice. I don't know if I have time to visit :( :(

I feel like you really should visit to make an informed decision. most people on TLS give a really inaccurate picture of Durham (if that's what you're worried about). Is it behind Mich and UVA for you?


It's behind Michigan and Cornell. My cousin is going to be at Duke next year and I went to school in VA so I'm not concerned, but M/C offered more money and Cornell has strong NYC placement, which I want.

I looked at last year's numbers and Cornell wasn't as high in general as I thought.

Sadnessandmisfortune
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Sadnessandmisfortune » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:48 pm

dasq5511 wrote:
Sadnessandmisfortune wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:Anyone know when scholarship awards are done? I'm waiting on reconsideration and they said they won't start till after that.


They told me the same thing, but they also told me that they would let me know early April because I told them that I need to know by April 10th since that's my first deposit deadline. So I'm hoping they let me know this week.


Yeah, I'm worried about having enough time to negotiate with schools that have April 14th deadlines.


They just got back to me today, went from 54k to 60k. So I'll be withdrawing and going to UCLA. Hopefully my money goes to you

User avatar
dasq5511
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 3:52 am

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby dasq5511 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:53 pm

Sadnessandmisfortune wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:
Sadnessandmisfortune wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:Anyone know when scholarship awards are done? I'm waiting on reconsideration and they said they won't start till after that.


They told me the same thing, but they also told me that they would let me know early April because I told them that I need to know by April 10th since that's my first deposit deadline. So I'm hoping they let me know this week.


Yeah, I'm worried about having enough time to negotiate with schools that have April 14th deadlines.


They just got back to me today, went from 54k to 60k. So I'll be withdrawing and going to UCLA. Hopefully my money goes to you


Mind PMing me with the offers you were negotiating with?

daydreamerxoxo
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby daydreamerxoxo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:19 pm

Is there a downside to using a lower ranked school's scholarship offer to negotiate? Not overly optimistic about it making a difference, but I thought I'd give it a try...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”