*** TLS is now owned by an objective lemon. Post nuked. ***

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pizzagoblin

Bronze

Re: UVA c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby pizzagoblin » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:27 pm

shoparoundthecorner wrote:
shoparoundthecorner wrote:I went under review at the beginning of October, interviewed shortly after that. My status was just updated to under review 11/2. Is this a bad sign? I was hoping to hear something by now and am worried about YP (above both 75ths).

Just wanted to update--I checked back later and it's been updated to admitted! So excited!

Congrats! Big thumbs up to everyone else already accepted.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:33 pm

shoparoundthecorner wrote:I went under review at the beginning of October, interviewed shortly after that. My status was just updated to under review 11/2. Is this a bad sign? I was hoping to hear something by now and am worried about YP (above both 75ths).

Just wanted to update--I checked back later and it's been updated to admitted! So excited!

Congratulations friend! Badass! 8)

shoparoundthecorner

Bronze

Postby shoparoundthecorner » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:16 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:

Congratulations friend! Badass! 8)

Congrats to you too!!

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:57 am

I'm working on my app to UVA right now, and quite honestly, I'm mostly applying to see if I get any $$$ thrown my way and because I'm applying to the whole T14. I really have nothing against UVA other than that I do not want to live in the South (I'm from the Midwest).

However, I realize that UVA is a great school. It also has what seems to be a really awesome immigration program (I'm interested in PI/immigration law), so I want to like it more than I do.

So tell me, TLSers: why do you want to go to UVA? Sell me on it!

Bronze

Postby 88234 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:21 am

Gold

Postby 20170322 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:26 am

My status checker is STILL broken.

WarriorPoet

New

Postby WarriorPoet » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:27 am

airwrecka wrote:I'm working on my app to UVA right now, and quite honestly, I'm mostly applying to see if I get any $$$ thrown my way and because I'm applying to the whole T14. I really have nothing against UVA other than that I do not want to live in the South (I'm from the Midwest).

However, I realize that UVA is a great school. It also has what seems to be a really awesome immigration program (I'm interested in PI/immigration law), so I want to like it more than I do.

Everyone's going to have their own best fit personally, which for me is UVA far and away. I'm Virginia born and raised; love the state, love Charlottesville. I don't have to move if I get accepted there, which is a huge plus for me, and GI Bill covers full tuition since it is a public university-- also a big plus. The student body seems unusually collegial and happy for a law school, so they must be doing something right as far as leadership. It doesn't quite have the cachet of HYS, but it has a strong presence in the region/fields where I plan to work, and I really have no ambition to clerk the Supreme Court or be a law professor or anything else where HYS would give you a slight edge. If you're a super gunner who has to have a prestige degree, shoot for the moon-- but honestly, with your scores, HYS aren't going to be tripping over themselves to give you money if they even accept you (you're competitive for sure, but I wouldn't say a lock). I'd say UVA will give you the top-quality education you want, likely for less debt and in a better environment.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:37 am

WarriorPoet wrote:
airwrecka wrote:I'm working on my app to UVA right now, and quite honestly, I'm mostly applying to see if I get any $$$ thrown my way and because I'm applying to the whole T14. I really have nothing against UVA other than that I do not want to live in the South (I'm from the Midwest).

Everyone's going to have their own best fit personally, which for me is UVA far and away. I'm Virginia born and raised; love the state, love Charlottesville. I don't have to move if I get accepted there, which is a huge plus for me, and GI Bill covers full tuition since it is a public university-- also a big plus. The student body seems unusually collegial and happy for a law school, so they must be doing something right as far as leadership. It doesn't quite have the cachet of HYS, but it has a strong presence in the region/fields where I plan to work, and I really have no ambition to clerk the Supreme Court or be a law professor or anything else where HYS would give you a slight edge. If you're a super gunner who has to have a prestige degree, shoot for the moon-- but honestly, with your scores, HYS aren't going to be tripping over themselves to give you money if they even accept you (you're competitive for sure, but I wouldn't say a lock). I'd say UVA will give you the top-quality education you want, likely for less debt and in a better environment.

Thank you for the thorough/thoughtful reply! This is all good to know. I think I will be able to have a much better idea about whether or not it's right for me if I visit. My plan after the new year is to make some trips to different schools to get a feel for them. Especially since I will (likely) be leaving the Midwest--and I have never lived outside of it before--I need to know where I'll fit in best!

WarriorPoet

New

Postby WarriorPoet » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:55 am

airwrecka wrote:
WarriorPoet wrote:

Thank you for the thorough/thoughtful reply! This is all good to know. I think I will be able to have a much better idea about whether or not it's right for me if I visit. My plan after the new year is to make some trips to different schools to get a feel for them. Especially since I will (likely) be leaving the Midwest--and I have never lived outside of it before--I need to know where I'll fit in best!

I think you'll like Charlottesville. It's a university town; small, but pretty upscale and nice. It's central to a lot of things-- you can go a couple of hours in one direction and be at the beach, or a couple hours in the other and be at some pretty decent skiing, lakes, hiking, etc. Virginia has a ton of interesting history, and the school is close enough to the state and national capitals that you should have some interesting opportunities in your chosen field.

WarriorPoet

New

Postby WarriorPoet » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:25 pm

Newest member, class of 2020. Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 pm

WarriorPoet wrote:Newest member, class of 2020. Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

Congrats!!

amberb94

Bronze

Postby amberb94 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:00 pm

Hi everyone! I love UVA and I would be thrilled to go there. Can a few people who have gotten in already PM me their stats and scholarship info? I am kind of a splitter and it worries me a bit.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:34 pm

WarriorPoet wrote:Newest member, class of 2020. Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

WoooooO!!!! Congrats Poet! First beer's on me. This is exciting news! :D

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:05 pm

Well, my app is officially submitted. And now the waiting game begins...(again, along with all my other apps :roll: ).

Specter1389

Bronze

Postby Specter1389 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:17 pm

WarriorPoet wrote:

If you are 100% GI Bill eligible wouldn't your tuition be covered 100% at any of the T-14 schools when combined with the Yellow Ribbon program? I deferred my admission to UVA for a similar reason, but I will only be 60% eligible when I attend. 60% off $56k a year is a lot better than 60% of the private school cap of $21k.

WarriorPoet

New

Postby WarriorPoet » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:27 pm

Specter1389 wrote:
WarriorPoet wrote:

If you are 100% GI Bill eligible wouldn't your tuition be covered 100% at any of the T-14 schools when combined with the Yellow Ribbon program? I deferred my admission to UVA for a similar reason, but I will only be 60% eligible when I attend. 60% off $56k a year is a lot better than 60% of the private school cap of $21k.

I think you're right about most of the T14, but IIRC even at 100% you will still have to come out of pocket a little bit at HYS.

WarriorPoet

New

Postby WarriorPoet » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:42 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:

Thanks Meerkat! A little behind you, but B52s always miss TOT so that's okay.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:35 pm

WarriorPoet wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:

Thanks Meerkat! A little behind you, but B52s always miss TOT so that's okay.

Damn straight. Old girl turns at her own pace and ain't nobody gunna rush her. 8)

Gold

Postby 20170322 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:07 pm

I'm sitting down with someone from admissions next week. I'm unsure of whether or not this is my interview for admission to UVA. Would it be hella weird to email and ask?

Question12345

New

Postby Question12345 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:13 pm

i went complete on 10/25 then under review 10/26 and had an interview yesterday with Director of admissions Colby. Thought it went well... Now anxiously waiting...anyone else interview with Mr. Colby?

taxman14

Bronze

Postby taxman14 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:16 pm

Question12345 wrote:i went complete on 10/25 then under review 10/26 and had an interview yesterday with Director of admissions Colby. Thought it went well... Now anxiously waiting...anyone else interview with Mr. Colby?

I did! He was super nice in mine and very friendly. It took about 3 weeks before I heard anything back or had any communication with them again so don't worry if your status isn't updating. It's very random.

Gold

Postby 20170322 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:27 pm

SweetTort wrote:I'm sitting down with someone from admissions next week. I'm unsure of whether or not this is my interview for admission to UVA. Would it be hella weird to email and ask?

shoparoundthecorner

Bronze

Postby shoparoundthecorner » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:53 pm

Question12345 wrote:i went complete on 10/25 then under review 10/26 and had an interview yesterday with Director of admissions Colby. Thought it went well... Now anxiously waiting...anyone else interview with Mr. Colby?

I interviewed with him as well. Like taxman, I heard back about three weeks later.

Chipotle85

Bronze

Postby Chipotle85 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:54 pm

SweetTort wrote:
SweetTort wrote:I'm sitting down with someone from admissions next week. I'm unsure of whether or not this is my interview for admission to UVA. Would it be hella weird to email and ask?

Why are you bumping a message you posted twenty minutes ago?

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:56 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?