*** TLS is now owned by an objective lemon. Post nuked. ***

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Keilz

Gold

Re: UVA c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Keilz » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:36 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Keilz wrote:can we get a poll going, after your interview did you send a thank you note? if so, what did it say?

No.

This is completely unnecessary. I assume you gave a verbal thank you at the end of your interview anyway.

You're not going to get into UVA because you sent a nice thank you note. You're going to get into UVA if they like your numbers and think they have a decent chance of you matriculating. A thank you letter doesn't help your numbers, and it doesn't imply you have a higher chance of matriculating. If you want to convey that there is a high chance of you matriculating, write "Why UVA" and send in a LOCI if you are on the waitlist.

Neuroticism leads to thank you letters after law school interviews.

Okay thanks for your honest :shock: response lol

I wasn't doing it to try and help my numbers I just didn't know the etiquette. Wrote an UVA essay already.

edit: also, I meant an email not a handwritten note haha

Bronze

Postby 88234 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:37 pm

Keilz wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Keilz wrote:can we get a poll going, after your interview did you send a thank you note? if so, what did it say?

No.

This is completely unnecessary. I assume you gave a verbal thank you at the end of your interview anyway.

You're not going to get into UVA because you sent a nice thank you note. You're going to get into UVA if they like your numbers and think they have a decent chance of you matriculating. A thank you letter doesn't help your numbers, and it doesn't imply you have a higher chance of matriculating. If you want to convey that there is a high chance of you matriculating, write "Why UVA" and send in a LOCI if you are on the waitlist.

I wasn't doing it to try and help my numbers I just didn't know the etiquette. Wrote an UVA essay already.

I mean, I think it's just polite. I sent thank you notes after interviews for law schools, when I was applying for consulting firms, TFA, etc. It isn't about the acceptance, just about being decent.

VA2lawschool

Bronze

Postby VA2lawschool » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:38 pm

Keilz wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:

No.

I actually disagree with the above response. I have written a short thank you email to all of my interviewers (UVA, NW, Chicago, Columbia) to thank them for their time. I do not think it's absolutely essential, but I have spoken to multiple admissions counselors who say it's an easy way to be gracious, which is never a bad thing.

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Postby Bob loblaw law blog » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:44 pm

VA2lawschool wrote:
Keilz wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:

No.

I actually disagree with the above response. I have written a short thank you email to all of my interviewers (UVA, NW, Chicago, Columbia) to thank them for their time. I do not think it's absolutely essential, but I have spoken to multiple admissions counselors who say it's an easy way to be gracious, which is never a bad thing.

Seriously... Thank you notes after interviews are pretty standard in the professional world. I can't see how this would be a bad idea. At worst, they see it but don't care. I'm fortunate enough that UVA didn't give me the time to write a note before accepting me, but I was planning to do so. It's never a bad idea to seem like you give a crap about the person interviewing you.

RedPurpleBlue

Bronze

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:52 pm

Bob loblaw law blog wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:
Keilz wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:

No.

Seriously... Thank you notes after interviews are pretty standard in the professional world. I can't see how this would be a bad idea. At worst, they see it but don't care. I'm fortunate enough that UVA didn't give me the time to write a note before accepting me, but I was planning to do so. It's never a bad idea to seem like you give a crap about the person interviewing you.

It's in no way a bad idea. It's just unnecessary.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:58 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Keilz wrote:thank you note?

No.

This is completely unnecessary.
You're not going to get into UVA because you sent a nice thank you note. A thank you letter doesn't help your numbers, and it doesn't imply you have a higher chance of matriculating.

She didn't ask if a thank you note would help with an acceptance, though. The answer to that should be clear: it won't. YOU probably shouldn't send a thank you note, because it seems like it wouldn't be sincere, but if you are actually appreciative they took the time to talk to you, you got something out of the conversation, etc, there's no reason not send a short note saying as much. I both have and have not sent thank you notes. In the same, you thank people for gifts at your wedding, but you also send notes. You don't send notes because you think it gives you a higher chance of getting a good present at your second wedding, you just do it. You don't have to! there's nothing wrong with it.

Not sending a thank you note because it won't help with an acceptance is neuroticism at its finest!

albanach

Silver

Postby albanach » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:37 pm

guybourdin wrote:She didn't ask if a thank you note would help with an acceptance, though. The answer to that should be clear: it won't.

I'd change that to "probably won't". At least some of the class will be admitted with numbers that are identical to others who are denied. Admissions needs some way to differentiate, and a well written thank-you is about as good a way as any. When you're admitting 300+ per year, I'd be pretty astonished if at least a few of the class aren't admitted on the basis of a distinction even more trivial than having sent a thank you.

For everyone else whose numbers don't leave them hanging on the cusp, it's still a nice thing to do.

amberb94

Bronze

Postby amberb94 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:38 pm

No, but I did send one after my interviewer sent me an acceptance email.

theboringest

Bronze

Postby theboringest » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:46 pm

Not on the topic of thank you notes, anyone else planning to go to ASW? Looks like it's a 2 day thing, or is it one session offered on two days?

RedPurpleBlue

Bronze

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:06 pm

guybourdin wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Keilz wrote:thank you note?

No.

This is completely unnecessary.
You're not going to get into UVA because you sent a nice thank you note. A thank you letter doesn't help your numbers, and it doesn't imply you have a higher chance of matriculating.

She didn't ask if a thank you note would help with an acceptance, though. The answer to that should be clear: it won't. YOU probably shouldn't send a thank you note, because it seems like it wouldn't be sincere, but if you are actually appreciative they took the time to talk to you, you got something out of the conversation, etc, there's no reason not send a short note saying as much. I both have and have not sent thank you notes. In the same, you thank people for gifts at your wedding, but you also send notes. You don't send notes because you think it gives you a higher chance of getting a good present at your second wedding, you just do it. You don't have to! there's nothing wrong with it.

Not sending a thank you note because it won't help with an acceptance is neuroticism at its finest!

Comparing weddings and law school acceptance is a false equivalence.

Again, I never said there was anything wrong with it. It's just not going to help you, and they are likely going to breeze past it to get to their 100+ other daily emails that are far more pertinent.

To each his/her own.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:09 pm

anyone know of the greek god Eris? from whence the practice of eristic is derived?

:D

WarriorPoet

New

Postby WarriorPoet » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:36 pm

mm2368 wrote:anyone know of the greek god Eris? from whence the practice of eristic is derived?

:D

Patron saint of lawyers?

GoBucks6612

New

Postby GoBucks6612 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:50 pm

UVA Admissions Spreadsheets are Here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Feel free to add your information to the spreadsheets above and check out the rest at the 2016-2017 Admissions Spreadsheets Forum!

albanach

Silver

Postby albanach » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:09 pm

GoBucks6612 wrote:UVA Admissions Spreadsheets are Here

Feel free to add your information to the spreadsheets above and check out the rest at the 2016-2017 Admissions Spreadsheets Forum!

Why no in-state vs. out of state column? Even though the profile is supposed to be similar, it seems strange not to track this.

GoBucks6612

New

Postby GoBucks6612 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:11 pm

albanach wrote:
GoBucks6612 wrote:UVA Admissions Spreadsheets are Here

Why no in-state vs. out of state column? Even though the profile is supposed to be similar, it seems strange not to track this.

Will add...have been going from the top down so before was not as relevant. Thanks for the catch!

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:20 pm

after your interview, did your status checker change to the day you interviewed?

Js1482

New

Postby Js1482 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:26 pm

my UR date changed from 11/15 (when it went complete) to 1/18. Last week I sent them a "Why UVA?" so do y'all think it just updated because they added my Why UVA or did it actually move forward in the review process?. Also, my numbers are slightly underwhelming but I do have a great recommendation from a high powered alum. Don't know how much weight that carries :/

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:28 pm

Can we talk about how it's impossible for everyone to have 'above average' softs? If everyone's softs are 'above average', then they are all simply average.

TBH I think that column is absolutely useless b/c everyone here (myself included) suffers from Dunning-Krueger.

sorence

Bronze

Postby sorence » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:35 pm

mrgstephe wrote:Can we talk about how it's impossible for everyone to have 'above average' softs? If everyone's softs are 'above average', then they are all simply average.

TBH I think that column is absolutely useless b/c everyone here (myself included) suffers from Dunning-Krueger.

hey hey hey there buddy, i'm v self aware that my KJD self has below average softs. It does sting to list it as such but idk, it's true. I definitely see why other people don't do it!

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:42 pm

mrgstephe wrote:Can we talk about how it's impossible for everyone to have 'above average' softs? If everyone's softs are 'above average', then they are all simply average.

Well, the people of TLS might have better softs than the average person applying to UVA thus making their softs "above-average"

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:46 pm

sorence wrote:

hey hey hey there buddy, i'm v self aware that my KJD self has below average softs. It does sting to list it as such but idk, it's true. I definitely see why other people don't do it!

I consider my softs to be average, but I also think there are probably <5% of the applicants with similar credentials due to my specialized STEM background/WE. This leads me to wonder if they actually qualify to an adcomm as above average (not that me knowing where I fall really matters in the grand scheme of things).

I just wish that instead of just a drop down with 3 or 4 options, there was a box to list what makes your softs so 'above average'. It's really easy to click above average b/c we all want to feel like we're special, but when everyone says they're above average, it really doesn't add anything to the discussion and/or give insight to people with similar numbers.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:50 pm

RParadela wrote:

Well, the people of TLS might have better softs than the average person applying to UVA thus making their softs "above-average"

So I guess I was under the impression that for the spreadsheet, that column was to indicate where you fall among this applicant pool - not against the general public. If it is against the general public, then I guess it is more plausible (though I still doubt the total accuracy) for the vast majority to have above average. Statistics just don't work that way.

I could have totally misinterpreted this. If that's the case, disregard my rantings.

Also, for W/E here, are we talking full-time W/E post-undergrad (as Harvard specifies W/E) or are people putting down the cumulative total of all W/E? If we're going to have all this crowd-sourced data, I just wish it was a little bit more specific on the appropriate interpretation of the somewhat ambiguous columns.

sorence

Bronze

Postby sorence » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:52 pm

mrgstephe wrote:
sorence wrote:

I consider my softs to be average, but I also think there are probably <5% of the applicants with similar credentials due to my specialized STEM background/WE. This leads me to wonder if they actually qualify to an adcomm as above average (not that me knowing where I fall really matters in the grand scheme of things).

I just wish that instead of just a drop down with 3 or 4 options, there was a box to list what makes your softs so 'above average'. It's really easy to click above average b/c we all want to feel like we're special, but when everyone says they're above average, it really doesn't add anything to the discussion and/or give insight to people with similar numbers.

Oh yeah I definitely agree with all of the above. I did see some sort of classification for each choice floating around in earlier threads but there was no consensus for what I can imagine is the issue you just described: everyone wants to think that they're at least average, and seeing it clear cut in a categorical classification made it a bit contentious.

Question12345

New

Postby Question12345 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:53 pm

Anyone have any idea when scholarships will start coming out (other than the rare few who received them with decision)

Earlskies

Bronze

Postby Earlskies » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:03 pm

mrgstephe wrote:
sorence wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Wobe ... gon_effect

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?