*** TLS is now owned by an objective lemon. Post nuked. ***

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ayylmao

Silver

Re: UVA c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ayylmao » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:14 pm

I'm well above both 75ths and was admitted in November, but still haven't heard anything about scholarships. Any idea when they might let people know? Should I send a LOCI?

amberb94

Bronze

Postby amberb94 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:19 pm

ayylmao wrote:I'm well above both 75ths and was admitted in November, but still haven't heard anything about scholarships. Any idea when they might let people know? Should I send a LOCI?

I wouldn't send anything to them until late next month. Most people haven't heard about scholarships.

Reid-Bailey

New

Postby Reid-Bailey » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:57 pm

Questions about scholarships:

First, I got accepted to UVA. Then yesterday I received my fancy package with all the pamphlets and such. Inside was my letter of acceptance and my scholarship award! The scholarship is 50% tuition which is very nice considering it's such a great school, but I am public interest or bust so I'm looking for some more money. Has anyone had any luck just asking for more? I doubt I'll have any leverage, my other scholarship offers were outside T14. So would nicely asking work?

Lastly, the most confusing one - the next day (today) I get another letter informing me of seat deposits, etc and also saying that merit scholarships will be sent out in late February. So I'm confused. I got a scholarship yesterday....but then they said it will be late Feb? Did I just get lucky?

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:00 pm

Reid-Bailey wrote:Questions about scholarships:

First, I got accepted to UVA. Then yesterday I received my fancy package with all the pamphlets and such. Inside was my letter of acceptance and my scholarship award! The scholarship is 50% tuition which is very nice considering it's such a great school, but I am public interest or bust so I'm looking for some more money. Has anyone had any luck just asking for more? I doubt I'll have any leverage, my other scholarship offers were outside T14. So would nicely asking work?

Lastly, the most confusing one - the next day (today) I get another letter informing me of seat deposits, etc and also saying that merit scholarships will be sent out in late February. So I'm confused. I got a scholarship yesterday....but then they said it will be late Feb? Did I just get lucky?

There's no harm in asking.

Reid-Bailey

New

Postby Reid-Bailey » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:01 pm

floatie wrote:

There's no harm in asking, but you applied ED, right? That takes away any leverage of offers you have from other schools since its binding.

No, I did not apply ED. Just regular decision. I haven't applied ED anywhere.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:02 pm

I don't think you'll be able to just ASK for more without having any leverage. I mean, I guess the worst that could happen is them saying no.

I think some people have been receiving scholarship info earlier but not everyone so perhaps that's info for the people still waiting.

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:03 pm

Reid-Bailey wrote:
floatie wrote:

There's no harm in asking, but you applied ED, right? That takes away any leverage of offers you have from other schools since its binding.

No, I did not apply ED. Just regular decision. I haven't applied ED anywhere.

My bad, I saw a post that you quoted and thought it was you. Well, there's no harm in asking them, but I doubt they'll go up by much unless you have a (better) T-14 offer.

Other people have gotten scholarship offers already, so maybe late Feb is the "typical" time for most applicants?

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:06 pm

mm2368 wrote:
Keilz wrote:UVA is working today- just got an interview invite!

CONGRATS!!!!!!!

hey thanks!!

VA2lawschool

Bronze

Postby VA2lawschool » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:13 pm

ayylmao wrote:I'm well above both 75ths and was admitted in November, but still haven't heard anything about scholarships. Any idea when they might let people know? Should I send a LOCI?

+1, but admitted early October within days of applying. It seems odd that they would be waiting so long to give scholarships to earlier admits. I'm scared that there won't be that much money left to give by the time they get back around to me, since it seems like they are sending a bunch out with newer acceptances.

Gold

Postby 20170322 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:21 pm

Anyone looking for a male roommate?

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:43 pm

SweetTort wrote:Anyone looking for a male roommate?

I think you should be the most fitting person to start the years first "C/O 2020" board :) last year they were created for each school in this forum once some people decided

amberb94

Bronze

Postby amberb94 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:47 pm

So this is weird. I got my little envelope with info about seat deposits and whatnot but I didn't get my admissions package yet. Has that happened to anyone else? I see they're being sent separately but I'm surprised that I didn't get the package first.

Leliana

Bronze

Postby Leliana » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:52 pm

amberb94 wrote:So this is weird. I got my little envelope with info about seat deposits and whatnot but I didn't get my admissions package yet. Has that happened to anyone else? I see they're being sent separately but I'm surprised that I didn't get the package first.

Yeah, I was admitted 12/21 and so far I've only received the small envelope notifying me of acceptance and seat deposit info. I figure the big packet will come eventually...

Reid-Bailey

New

Postby Reid-Bailey » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:57 pm

Leliana wrote:
amberb94 wrote:So this is weird. I got my little envelope with info about seat deposits and whatnot but I didn't get my admissions package yet. Has that happened to anyone else? I see they're being sent separately but I'm surprised that I didn't get the package first.

Yeah, I was admitted 12/21 and so far I've only received the small envelope notifying me of acceptance and seat deposit info. I figure the big packet will come eventually...

The package came via UPS for me. I was accepted on a Thursday and got the package the following Monday. Then the letter came via USPS on Tuesday. So maybe UPS is taking a while for you? I'm curious to know if they hold the package for some people while they decide on scholarship money because (as I said above) my scholarship offer came in my fancy package.

Leliana

Bronze

Postby Leliana » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:00 pm

Reid-Bailey wrote:
Leliana wrote:

The package came via UPS for me. I was accepted on a Thursday and got the package the following Monday. Then the letter came via USPS on Tuesday. So maybe UPS is taking a while for you? I'm curious to know if they hold the package for some people while they decide on scholarship money because (as I said above) my scholarship offer came in my fancy package.

Oh, maybe that's what's going on. Hmm. I get UPS email notifications when I have a package coming to my address, I know I haven't missed it.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:06 pm

Leliana wrote:
Reid-Bailey wrote:
Leliana wrote:

Oh, maybe that's what's going on. Hmm. I get UPS email notifications when I have a package coming to my address, I know I haven't missed it.

Wait! How do you get email notifications? Is that something you can sign up for on their site? Do they tell you who the sender is? lol

Christinabruin

Bronze

Postby Christinabruin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:00 pm

I got my acceptance package about seat deposits and all soon after I got admitted but still haven't gotten the scholarship package yet.. Then today I open my mailbox and see a package from UVA but it's a Lawyer magazine :cry:

OtterLaw

Silver

Postby OtterLaw » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:11 pm

I'm a 1L and my experience from having gone through this process last year is that UVA typically leads with their best offer for scholarships. Consider yourself fortunate; at least half of the class will not get any scholarship. It's always worth it to ask for more, but don't be surprised/offended if it's a no. Good luck!

imtca

New

Postby imtca » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:23 pm

I just threw in an application to UVA because they sent me a fee waiver even though I took the September LSAT, but i submitted it last night, it went complete this morning, and then it was under review after 2 hours. For other applicants, is this a normal timeline and I'll be stuck in review for a long time, or is it atypically fast?

Leliana

Bronze

Postby Leliana » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:16 pm

brinicolec wrote:Wait! How do you get email notifications? Is that something you can sign up for on their site? Do they tell you who the sender is? lol

Yeah, you can sign up online! It's called UPS My Choice. And they do tell you! Or at least whenever I've ordered stuff online, the email notification gives the company name (e.g. Amazon.com, Sephora...) and tracking number. I love ittt. It also gives you options like rerouting the package to a pickup center.

ray.bee

Bronze

Postby ray.bee » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:48 pm

imtca wrote:I just threw in an application to UVA because they sent me a fee waiver even though I took the September LSAT, but i submitted it last night, it went complete this morning, and then it was under review after 2 hours. For other applicants, is this a normal timeline and I'll be stuck in review for a long time, or is it atypically fast?

Mine went UR same day as complete, so I think its normal.

addie1412

Silver

Postby addie1412 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:57 pm

imtca wrote:I just threw in an application to UVA because they sent me a fee waiver even though I took the September LSAT, but i submitted it last night, it went complete this morning, and then it was under review after 2 hours. For other applicants, is this a normal timeline and I'll be stuck in review for a long time, or is it atypically fast?

Same sort of timeline for me

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:19 pm

can we get a poll going, after your interview did you send a thank you note? if so, what did it say?

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:29 pm

Last edited by Keilz on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedPurpleBlue

Bronze

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:32 pm

Keilz wrote:can we get a poll going, after your interview did you send a thank you note? if so, what did it say?

No.

This is completely unnecessary. I assume you gave a verbal thank you at the end of your interview anyway.

You're not going to get into UVA because you sent a nice thank you note. You're going to get into UVA if they like your numbers and think they have a decent chance of you matriculating. A thank you letter doesn't help your numbers, and it doesn't imply you have a higher chance of matriculating. If you want to convey that there is a high chance of you matriculating, write "Why UVA" and send in a LOCI if you are on the waitlist.

Neuroticism leads to thank you letters after law school interviews.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?