*** TLS is now owned by an objective lemon. Post nuked. ***

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Chipotle85

Bronze

Re: UVA c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Chipotle85 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:05 pm

Submitted first week of November, went under review the next day and haven't heard anything back since. Would honestly prefer a WL/rejection to continued silence at this point.

kiwi50

Bronze

Postby kiwi50 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:12 pm

Last edited by kiwi50 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cbear2017

New

Postby Cbear2017 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:14 pm

Hi everybody! Could anyone tell me how UVA sends interview requests and if so, what the subject line is? I'm in a bit of a weird situation so that insight would really help out!

TudoBem

Bronze

Postby TudoBem » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:15 pm

UVA forgot about me...I know it. :(

meeseeks

Silver

Postby meeseeks » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:18 pm

Chipotle85 wrote:Submitted first week of November, went under review the next day and haven't heard anything back since. Would honestly prefer a WL/rejection to continued silence at this point.

Same here.

govlife

Bronze

Postby govlife » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:21 pm

kiwi50 wrote:I've been under review since 9/22 and no word. Meanwhile I've had interviews for HLS, Columbia, and Chicago, and I've been accepted to Michigan and a handful of other schools.

Same here, except didn't apply as widely. Stats?

whodareswins

Bronze

Postby whodareswins » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:19 pm

I want to bounce something off of you all. This isn't specific to UVA, but I'm wondering if unsolicited fee waivers at this stage (for September lsat takers) can be taken as proof that lsat scores are down for the cycle, including December's administration.

To be specific, I'm not a super qualified candidate for UVA, but just received a fee waiver. Since they've had my numbers for months, I'm leaning towards the aforementioned explanation. This is also my first waiver in months so I can't see if being a coincidence coming right after December scores were released.

Or am I reading too much into this and the fee waiver process is totally random?

Thanks!

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:25 pm

whodareswins wrote:I want to bounce something off of you all. This isn't specific to UVA, but I'm wondering if unsolicited fee waivers at this stage (for September lsat takers) can be taken as proof that lsat scores are down for the cycle, including December's administration.

To be specific, I'm not a super qualified candidate for UVA, but just received a fee waiver. Since they've had my numbers for months, I'm leaning towards the aforementioned explanation. This is also my first waiver in months so I can't see if being a coincidence coming right after December scores were released.

Or am I reading too much into this and the fee waiver process is totally random?

Thanks!

part of me really believes it's random, or at least, that is my experience with fee waivers. Of the T14, I got only three fee waivers: Penn, UVA, and Northwestern. I am below the 25th % in LSAT for all of these. I really don't know why I got the fee waivers (all back in October)

whodareswins

Bronze

Postby whodareswins » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:35 pm

mm2368 wrote:
whodareswins wrote:I want to bounce something off of you all. This isn't specific to UVA, but I'm wondering if unsolicited fee waivers at this stage (for September lsat takers) can be taken as proof that lsat scores are down for the cycle, including December's administration.

Thanks!

part of me really believes it's random, or at least, that is my experience with fee waivers. Of the T14, I got only three fee waivers: Penn, UVA, and Northwestern. I am below the 25th % in LSAT for all of these. I really don't know why I got the fee waivers (all back in October)

Thanks for the input. I was surprised at how many waivers I received from the t14. I got one to every school but YHSCC, Cornell, and Berkeley. I only applied to Berkeley, Duke, and Michigan in the t14, so I only had to pay for the Berk app.

I hope our lsat scores get us further this cycle than in previous cycles. I've already been accepted to Vanderbilt, UCLA, USC, BU, WUSTL, etc., but am hoping for $$$ in addition to the acceptances.

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:36 pm

Thanks!

It could be them trying to get their numbers up. I got a fee waiver before I even had an LSAT score, and I got another one (???) after the LSAT, even though my score was nothing to write home about. But at the very least, it isn't a bad thing...

NotAGolfer

Silver

Postby NotAGolfer » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:40 pm

kiwi50 wrote:I've been under review since 9/22 and no word. Meanwhile I've had interviews for HLS, Columbia, and Chicago, and I've been accepted to Michigan and a handful of other schools.

UR since 10/12, I feel your pain!

AlexanderJordan

New

Postby AlexanderJordan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:45 pm

Got a fee waiver today... a little late in the game but I'll be applying today!

S.Picquery

Silver

Postby S.Picquery » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:47 pm

mm2368 wrote:

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure it's random. They sent me a fee waiver each year since I signed up for LSAC, and 2 of those years I hadn't taken the LSAT yet, I was just compiling LORs.

Motionsinlemons

New

Postby Motionsinlemons » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:52 pm

They sent me a fee waiver this morning. I took the September LSAT.
Any insight as to why they are so late in the game?

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:41 pm

Motionsinlemons wrote:They sent me a fee waiver this morning. I took the September LSAT.

One of the metrics used to rank law schools in US News and World Reports is "selectivity". Basically, what percentage of applications are extended admissions offers. http://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/articles/law-schools-methodology

(You'll notice this metric is weighted more heavily than placement success or median LSAT or GPA--probably a joke in there somewhere.)

So, when you want to jack up your selectivity rating what do you do? Well, you could cut down the number of total students accepted per pool of applicants. But, this has a tendency to hurt the school's bottom line, which is NAGL for an admissions dean. So, instead, you artificially jack up the total number of applications received.

How do you do this? Well, one option is to toss out "application fee waivers", which makes people think they are on someone's "super special watch list" (when in reality, they probably aren't). Then, these now-starry-eyed 0L's toss an application into the void in hopes their free lottery ticket comes up a winner. And, when their app, inevitably, gets circular filed, schools get their cheap bump in the USNWR "gonkulator" and 0L Johnny gets to tell Ma and Pa that School X is "really looking hard" at him. Everyone wins.

And, when you think about it, this is a much easier/cheaper "gotta raise my rankings data" solution than others available to adcomms. Raising LSAT/GPA medians are expensive (just imagine how much WUSTL has shelled out over the last decade inflating their LSAT median via crazy huge scholarships). Building more extensive placement connections and school reputation is a slow/plodding process. Really the cheapest and easiest way to get a quick "shot in the arm" is to throw out admissions fee waivers like candy.

Reid-Bailey

New

Postby Reid-Bailey » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:56 am

Thought I should say I got an interview request this morning. I did not write a Why UVA.

I got my status checker e-mail 12/12 and the interview request is the only correspondence I have received after that.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:04 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
Motionsinlemons wrote:They sent me a fee waiver this morning. I took the September LSAT.

One of the metrics used to rank law schools in US News and World Reports is "selectivity". Basically, what percentage of applications are extended admissions offers. http://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/articles/law-schools-methodology

(You'll notice this metric is weighted more heavily than placement success or median LSAT or GPA--probably a joke in there somewhere.)

Acceptance rate is only .025 - not higher than placement or lsat/gpa. don't disagree with anything else you've said, though - B sent me a fee waiver...come on!

mylovemiyoung

New

Postby mylovemiyoung » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:07 pm

what does it mean if the current status date changes? Does it not mean anything?
Last edited by mylovemiyoung on Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:16 pm

Getting ready to submit ED - did anyone include a diversity statement as an addendum? I really like mine but there isn't a space for it, so I'm debating whether or not I should include it or not.

albanach

Silver

Postby albanach » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:28 pm

floatie wrote:Getting ready to submit ED - did anyone include a diversity statement as an addendum? I really like mine but there isn't a space for it, so I'm debating whether or not I should include it or not.

You're applying ED, presumably UVA is a reach? In which case you want to make every argument you'd be a good addition to the class. I'd include it.

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:30 pm

albanach wrote:
floatie wrote:Getting ready to submit ED - did anyone include a diversity statement as an addendum? I really like mine but there isn't a space for it, so I'm debating whether or not I should include it or not.

You're applying ED, presumably UVA is a reach? In which case you want to make every argument you'd be a good addition to the class. I'd include it.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking too. It's a bit of a reach with my GPA, so I'm hoping my LSAT makes up for it...
Last edited by floatie on Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reid-Bailey

New

Postby Reid-Bailey » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:41 pm

Reid-Bailey wrote:Thought I should say I got an interview request this morning. I did not write a Why UVA.

I got my status checker e-mail 12/12 and the interview request is the only correspondence I have received after that.

I know this has been answered before but I just need some reaffirming. I was asked to chat over the phone/skype at UVA. This means that I will be accepted (most likely) assuming I don't blow it during the interview?

hellohalo

Silver

Postby hellohalo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:44 pm

I have a feeling that I'll be dinged... UR1 since 11/14 :roll:

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:45 pm

guybourdin wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:

Acceptance rate is only .025 - not higher than placement or lsat/gpa. don't disagree with anything else you've said, though - B sent me a fee waiver...come on!

Good catch man. I misread that. :oops:

mylovemiyoung

New

Postby mylovemiyoung » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:47 pm

Does anyone know when ED people receive interview requests, if any at all

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?