*** TLS is now owned by an objective lemon. Post nuked. *** Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crookedsmile

Bronze

Re: UVA c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by crookedsmile » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:54 pm

Dodocogon wrote:
crookedsmile wrote: Who did you send it to? I'm assuming as a .pdf doc attachment to an email addressed to admissions?
Yeah sent as a .pdf with my LSAC# in the body to the general admissions email. Let me know they added it like half an hour later.
Awesome, thanks. Gonna shoot one their way as well.

youknowsimone

New

Post by youknowsimone » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:07 pm

The first line of "Only the Good Die Young" by Billy Joel has never been more spot on: "Come on, Virginia, don't let me wait!"

New

Post by 20172017 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:42 pm

RParadela wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:What questions did people have in their interviews for UVA? Is there anything in particular that I should be wary of?
I'd also like to know this. From my basic research, it looks like interviews were pretty standard Why Law, why UVA type of questions
IIRC (my interview was a week or two ago and even though it went relatively well, I tend to block things like this out of my memory) I was only directly asked one question, which was kind of job-interview-esque. I'd been expecting "why law" or "why UVA" so I was thrown slightly off guard. It wasn't super tough or anything, though, I think it was just to confirm fit. The rest of the interview was asking questions and chatting about the culture at the school. Definitely appreciated how relaxed the whole thing was, especially since I'm pretty awkward and uncomfortable in interviews.

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:49 pm

20172017 wrote:IIRC (my interview was a week or two ago and even though it went relatively well, I tend to block things like this out of my memory) I was only directly asked one question, which was kind of job-interview-esque. I'd been expecting "why law" or "why UVA" so I was thrown slightly off guard. It wasn't super tough or anything, though, I think it was just to confirm fit. The rest of the interview was asking questions and chatting about the culture at the school. Definitely appreciated how relaxed the whole thing was, especially since I'm pretty awkward and uncomfortable in interviews.
Thanks. Yeah, I just tend to... over-prepare, so any insight (such as this) is appreciated.

New

Post by 20172017 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:05 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
20172017 wrote:IIRC (my interview was a week or two ago and even though it went relatively well, I tend to block things like this out of my memory) I was only directly asked one question, which was kind of job-interview-esque. I'd been expecting "why law" or "why UVA" so I was thrown slightly off guard. It wasn't super tough or anything, though, I think it was just to confirm fit. The rest of the interview was asking questions and chatting about the culture at the school. Definitely appreciated how relaxed the whole thing was, especially since I'm pretty awkward and uncomfortable in interviews.
Thanks. Yeah, I just tend to... over-prepare, so any insight (such as this) is appreciated.
Same here - it's good to be prepared, of course, but don't sweat it. Even if you get hit with something unexpected, I don't think UVA's strategy is to try and trick you. I got the impression that they're just looking to make sure that you're a decent human being.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:12 pm

20172017 wrote:Same here - it's good to be prepared, of course, but don't sweat it. Even if you get hit with something unexpected, I don't think UVA's strategy is to try and trick you. I got the impression that they're just looking to make sure that you're a decent human being.
...better keep studying then.

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:15 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
20172017 wrote:Same here - it's good to be prepared, of course, but don't sweat it. Even if you get hit with something unexpected, I don't think UVA's strategy is to try and trick you. I got the impression that they're just looking to make sure that you're a decent human being.
..... Yeah I'm screwed if that's what they are looking for

New

Post by 20172017 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:15 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
:lol:

New

Post by 20172017 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:25 pm

Oh, something interesting that I just remembered from my interview (unrelated to questions/format) - I was told that my app had been read by an alum, who then made some sort of evaluation/recommendation that they passed onto the adcomm. Was kinda surprised to hear that, not necessarily in a bad way - but is this common practice among law schools?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Christinabruin

Bronze

Post by Christinabruin » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:25 pm

S.Picquery wrote:What questions did people have in their interviews for UVA? Is there anything in particular that I should be wary of?
My interviewer asked me why law, why UVA, my work experience, my hobbies on my resume and stuff on my application. I had already written a Why X for UVA so I prepared to say things that weren't already in my apps. I didn't get thrown any political questions or random curveballs and the interview questions were things that you would already know about yourself! Mine lasted around 45 minutes including questions I had. I also agree with the above posters that the interview was very easygoing and relaxed.

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:26 pm

Christinabruin wrote:
My interviewer asked me why law, why UVA, my work experience, my hobbies on my resume and stuff on my application. I had already written a Why X for UVA so I prepared to say things that weren't already in my apps. I didn't get thrown any political questions or random curveballs and the interview questions were things that you would already know about yourself! Mine lasted around 45 minutes including questions I had. I also agree with the above posters that the interview was very easygoing and relaxed.
Bless you.

Christinabruin

Bronze

Post by Christinabruin » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:27 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
Christinabruin wrote:
Bless you.
No problem! Good luck on your interview and don't stress about it too much :)

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:39 pm

Christinabruin wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
Christinabruin wrote:
Bless you.
No problem! Good luck on your interview and don't stress about it too much :)
Mine only lasted twelve minutes so don't stress if it's short.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

amberb94

Bronze

Post by amberb94 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:49 pm

If anyone is on the admitted students FB page and wants to add me, I'm sure you can figure out which one is me. :wink:

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:54 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
Christinabruin wrote:
Bless you.
When is your interview? Mine is Tuesday

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:03 pm

RParadela wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
Christinabruin wrote:
Bless you.
When is your interview? Mine is Tuesday
Tomorrow morning.

speedofthought

New

Post by speedofthought » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:56 pm

I went to a UVA alumni/admitted student reception in my city this week and was surprised that I didn't see any of the same faces I saw at the prospective students' dinner that UVA hosted here several months ago.

Hope you guys are doing okay and are happy with your cycles!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:52 am

speedofthought wrote:I went to a UVA alumni/admitted student reception in my city this week and was surprised that I didn't see any of the same faces I saw at the prospective students' dinner that UVA hosted here several months ago.

Hope you guys are doing okay and are happy with your cycles!
Damn dude...I see you're really crushing the free dinner/drinks bennies that come with law school admission. :lol:

atlantahoo

New

Post by atlantahoo » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:26 am

Is it weird to join multiple schools' fb groups for admitted students?

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:53 am

Last edited by TexasENG on Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S.Picquery

Silver

Q

Post by S.Picquery » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:35 am

That was the sweetest interview ever. Interviewer was just generally awesome, and I hope to hear back soon!

Questions involved why law, why UVA, some stuff in my transcript/resume, and my current job. Then I got to ask questions. Y'all were right, and I was once again... over-prepared for an interview.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Arctic_Char

New

Post by Arctic_Char » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:38 am

Any one else frustrated that Accepted Students Weekend is during the week? I'd love to attend but can't burn two work-days to do so...

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:48 am

Arctic_Char wrote:Any one else frustrated that Accepted Students Weekend is during the week? I'd love to attend but can't burn two work-days to do so...
More frustrated that I'm still just UR1 when I have numbers to get in (and it's my top choice), but I'm sure I'll be frustrated about that later on in the cycle.

Edit: OH HOT DAMN UR2 JUST HAPPENED
Last edited by Future Ex-Engineer on Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawcapture

Bronze

Post by lawcapture » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:48 am

Arctic_Char wrote:Any one else frustrated that Accepted Students Weekend is during the week? I'd love to attend but can't burn two work-days to do so...
with you here... also first two days of march madness!!

RParadela

Silver

Re: Q

Post by RParadela » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:20 pm

S.Picquery wrote:That was the sweetest interview ever. Interviewer was just generally awesome, and I hope to hear back soon!

Questions involved why law, why UVA, some stuff in my transcript/resume, and my current job. Then I got to ask questions. Y'all were right, and I was once again... over-prepared for an interview.
Did you interview with Dean Faulk?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”