Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Final Poll - What's your Status?

Still Waiting on a Decision
41
28%
Dinged :(
7
5%
Waitlisted - Withdrew
3
2%
Waitlisted - Riding it Out
53
36%
Admitted - Withdrew
17
12%
Admitted - Attending!
25
17%
 
Total votes: 146

User avatar
btruj777

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:31 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby btruj777 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:01 pm

lsa16 wrote:Apologies if this is a dumb question, but will a school like Chicago in any way care if you have significant scholarship offers from places like Michigan and UVA? My gut instinct says no, there will be too many people applying to the top 5 with scholarship offers from elsewhere for it to matter, and obviously this question isn't even relevant until admissions decisions come out, but thought I would ask just in case.



Not a dumb question, a good question it is! Personally I have heard about Chicago going up on offers for people who have been accepted to higher ranked schools (going from good money to full-ride!), which is only HYS. However, this leads me to believe that IF THEY WANT a particular applicant, they will do what they want to get that applicant. With that being said I do not see what would bar them from going up on some money for an applicant they want, even if that person got into lower schools and got offers from them. Is it as significant as perhaps Cornell going up on an offer when you show them an offer from Columbia? Probably not, but I do think there exists at least the potential for this increase or "care".

potterotter

Bronze
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby potterotter » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:39 pm

---
Last edited by potterotter on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
poptart123

Silver
Posts: 1150
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby poptart123 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:41 pm

potterotter wrote:
btruj777 wrote:
lsa16 wrote:Apologies if this is a dumb question, but will a school like Chicago in any way care if you have significant scholarship offers from places like Michigan and UVA? My gut instinct says no, there will be too many people applying to the top 5 with scholarship offers from elsewhere for it to matter, and obviously this question isn't even relevant until admissions decisions come out, but thought I would ask just in case.



Not a dumb question, a good question it is! Personally I have heard about Chicago going up on offers for people who have been accepted to higher ranked schools (going from good money to full-ride!), which is only HYS. However, this leads me to believe that IF THEY WANT a particular applicant, they will do what they want to get that applicant. With that being said I do not see what would bar them from going up on some money for an applicant they want, even if that person got into lower schools and got offers from them. Is it as significant as perhaps Cornell going up on an offer when you show them an offer from Columbia? Probably not, but I do think there exists at least the potential for this increase or "care".


I was under the impression that YHS only gave money based on need, though. So would that mean that Chicago going up only applies to applicants with need?


*mind explodes*

I would image NYU and Columbia might make them budge a little, Penn, Berk, etc. may make some impact. Lower t14 may be harder to sway them on. Just guessing. I have no idea. This comment might be trash.

User avatar
btruj777

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:31 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby btruj777 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:43 pm

potterotter wrote:
btruj777 wrote:
lsa16 wrote:Apologies if this is a dumb question, but will a school like Chicago in any way care if you have significant scholarship offers from places like Michigan and UVA? My gut instinct says no, there will be too many people applying to the top 5 with scholarship offers from elsewhere for it to matter, and obviously this question isn't even relevant until admissions decisions come out, but thought I would ask just in case.



Not a dumb question, a good question it is! Personally I have heard about Chicago going up on offers for people who have been accepted to higher ranked schools (going from good money to full-ride!), which is only HYS. However, this leads me to believe that IF THEY WANT a particular applicant, they will do what they want to get that applicant. With that being said I do not see what would bar them from going up on some money for an applicant they want, even if that person got into lower schools and got offers from them. Is it as significant as perhaps Cornell going up on an offer when you show them an offer from Columbia? Probably not, but I do think there exists at least the potential for this increase or "care".


I was under the impression that YHS only gave money based on need, though. So would that mean that Chicago going up only applies to applicants with need?


You are right sorry, my comment only speaks to merit aid. I meant rhat if you tell Chicago u got into yale they maybe give you some $$ to come to Chi

ohgosh

New
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:12 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ohgosh » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:29 pm

Do you need to get interviewed to be accepted, or do people get acceptances without having interviewed at all?

User avatar
KMart

Gold
Posts: 4368
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby KMart » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:29 pm

ohgosh wrote:Do you need to get interviewed to be accepted, or do people get acceptances without having interviewed at all?

You need an interview.

User avatar
KMart

Gold
Posts: 4368
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby KMart » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:30 pm

btruj777 wrote:
lsa16 wrote:Apologies if this is a dumb question, but will a school like Chicago in any way care if you have significant scholarship offers from places like Michigan and UVA? My gut instinct says no, there will be too many people applying to the top 5 with scholarship offers from elsewhere for it to matter, and obviously this question isn't even relevant until admissions decisions come out, but thought I would ask just in case.



Not a dumb question, a good question it is! Personally I have heard about Chicago going up on offers for people who have been accepted to higher ranked schools (going from good money to full-ride!), which is only HYS. However, this leads me to believe that IF THEY WANT a particular applicant, they will do what they want to get that applicant. With that being said I do not see what would bar them from going up on some money for an applicant they want, even if that person got into lower schools and got offers from them. Is it as significant as perhaps Cornell going up on an offer when you show them an offer from Columbia? Probably not, but I do think there exists at least the potential for this increase or "care".

Might as well try; the worst they will say is no.

User avatar
unpetitpacifiste

New
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:10 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby unpetitpacifiste » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:00 am

went UR1 12/3, still haven't got an interview invite, should I be worried? non-URM, LSAT = 75%, GPA = 75%

acz26

Bronze
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:37 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby acz26 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:17 am

unpetitpacifiste wrote:went UR1 12/3, still haven't got an interview invite, should I be worried? non-URM, LSAT = 75%, GPA = 75%



I wouldn't worry yet. We have very similar stats, and it took quite a bit before I got the interview. You're in good shape.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby brinicolec » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:37 pm

Went UR1 today :shock:

Edit: submitted 11/18, complete 11/29

User avatar
KMart

Gold
Posts: 4368
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby KMart » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:17 pm

unpetitpacifiste wrote:went UR1 12/3, still haven't got an interview invite, should I be worried? non-URM, LSAT = 75%, GPA = 75%

no

loopoopoo10

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:52 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby loopoopoo10 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:28 pm

UR 4 on 12/16 :shock: I have this feeling ED is going to come out soon?

ED Sent 12/1
Complete 12/1
Interview request 12/9
Interview 12/14

User avatar
Leliana

Bronze
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Leliana » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:33 pm

brinicolec wrote:Went UR1 today :shock:

Edit: submitted 11/18, complete 11/29


Me too! Complete 12/01

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby brinicolec » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:38 pm

Leliana wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Went UR1 today :shock:

Edit: submitted 11/18, complete 11/29


Me too! Complete 12/01


Glad to see some movement, but I'm not expecting much movement between now and January though. Seems like people sit UR here for a little while, especially since they interview.

gcflames

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby gcflames » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:41 pm

loopoopoo10 wrote:UR 4 on 12/16 :shock: I have this feeling ED is going to come out soon?

ED Sent 12/1
Complete 12/1
Interview request 12/9
Interview 12/14


Same timeline as you except I interviewed on the 16th. I am so nervous an email will be sent any second!

Posner, Epstein, and Friedman, please bestow upon this lowly applicant admission!

User avatar
btruj777

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:31 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby btruj777 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:56 pm

Also an ED who went UR4 on 12/16, very confident this week we will know ED, I say that by Wednesday we know.

gcflames

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby gcflames » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:05 pm

btruj777 wrote:Also an ED who went UR4 on 12/16, very confident this week we will know ED, I say that by Wednesday we know.


I went UR1 on the 16th shortly after my interview. Should I be worried? Will the tracker literally say Underreview 2/3 etc"

ED if that matters.

User avatar
btruj777

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:31 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby btruj777 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:11 pm

gcflames wrote:
btruj777 wrote:Also an ED who went UR4 on 12/16, very confident this week we will know ED, I say that by Wednesday we know.


I went UR1 on the 16th shortly after my interview. Should I be worried? Will the tracker literally say Underreview 2/3 etc"

ED if that matters.



No, you should not be worried, if you are ED they will give you an answer before end of December. Almost always (if not always), UChi has sent the ED decisions before the 25th, usually around the 18 to the 21st. You will be fine.


I wanted to ask this earlier: Why is UChi your number 1 choice? :D For me it is because of the faculty (Nussbaum :D ) and this whole "place of ideas mentality", I heard that UChicago has a very different but awesome way of going about legal education. I care about theory, policy, and philosophy in the law, and I think this is the best place for all dat

gcflames

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby gcflames » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:15 pm

btruj777 wrote:
gcflames wrote:
btruj777 wrote:Also an ED who went UR4 on 12/16, very confident this week we will know ED, I say that by Wednesday we know.


I went UR1 on the 16th shortly after my interview. Should I be worried? Will the tracker literally say Underreview 2/3 etc"

ED if that matters.



No, you should not be worried, if you are ED they will give you an answer before end of December. Almost always (if not always), UChi has sent the ED decisions before the 25th, usually around the 18 to the 21st. You will be fine.


I wanted to ask this earlier: Why is UChi your number 1 choice? :D For me it is because of the faculty (Nussbaum :D ) and this whole "place of ideas mentality", I heard that UChicago has a very different but awesome way of going about legal education. I care about theory, policy, and philosophy in the law, and I think this is the best place for all dat


Exactly this. Every student I've talked to has confirmed it to be this intellectual wonderland that really emphasizes the free flow of ideas. There's a joke about UChicago that I always loved.


Students from various law schools are being asked why they chose the law school they did.
The Harvard student responds "because its Harvard"
The Yale student responds "because mommy and daddy went to Yale"
The Uchicago student responds "Why are you bugging me? I'm trying to study!"

Kind of a silly joke, but I think it nails my impression about the campus.

Also the economic analysis of the law is something I'm certainly interested in as econ is my passion. Not a better place for that than Chicago.

VA2lawschool

Bronze
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:52 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby VA2lawschool » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:17 pm

btruj777 wrote:
gcflames wrote:
btruj777 wrote:Also an ED who went UR4 on 12/16, very confident this week we will know ED, I say that by Wednesday we know.


I went UR1 on the 16th shortly after my interview. Should I be worried? Will the tracker literally say Underreview 2/3 etc"

ED if that matters.



No, you should not be worried, if you are ED they will give you an answer before end of December. Almost always (if not always), UChi has sent the ED decisions before the 25th, usually around the 18 to the 21st. You will be fine.


I wanted to ask this earlier: Why is UChi your number 1 choice? :D For me it is because of the faculty (Nussbaum :D ) and this whole "place of ideas mentality", I heard that UChicago has a very different but awesome way of going about legal education. I care about theory, policy, and philosophy in the law, and I think this is the best place for all dat


Are we the same person?? :D I talked about Nussbaum in my UChi interview and am really excited about their Law and Philosophy program. Not ED, FWIW, but starting to think UChi might be my top choice (if I'm fortunate enough to be admitted).

User avatar
btruj777

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:31 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby btruj777 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:27 pm

VA2lawschool wrote:
btruj777 wrote:
gcflames wrote:
btruj777 wrote:Also an ED who went UR4 on 12/16, very confident this week we will know ED, I say that by Wednesday we know.


I went UR1 on the 16th shortly after my interview. Should I be worried? Will the tracker literally say Underreview 2/3 etc"

ED if that matters.



No, you should not be worried, if you are ED they will give you an answer before end of December. Almost always (if not always), UChi has sent the ED decisions before the 25th, usually around the 18 to the 21st. You will be fine.


I wanted to ask this earlier: Why is UChi your number 1 choice? :D For me it is because of the faculty (Nussbaum :D ) and this whole "place of ideas mentality", I heard that UChicago has a very different but awesome way of going about legal education. I care about theory, policy, and philosophy in the law, and I think this is the best place for all dat


Are we the same person?? :D I talked about Nussbaum in my UChi interview and am really excited about their Law and Philosophy program. Not ED, FWIW, but starting to think UChi might be my top choice (if I'm fortunate enough to be admitted).



We might be! I even emailed Nussbaum one time to really ask if what they say is true about UChi. I said "Philosopher to Philosopher", is it just a grand marketing campaign, or is it really just that awesome and nurturing of ideas (in different words) and she replied almost instantly in the most awesome email (which I read in her voice) saying that "it really is all that you say!"


That made my whole month, then she won the Kyoto prize and wants to use some of that money for scholarship money for students interested in Law and Philosophy!!

I just had to apply ED. I see it this way, money cannot be an obstacle that bars me from doing something I really value and want for my life, not just for its instrumental value, but much more importantly for the intrinsic value of a UChi education.

User avatar
jjcorvino

Silver
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jjcorvino » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:38 pm

I went UR1 today!

User avatar
lawlzschool

Bronze
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 8:57 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lawlzschool » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:36 pm

Invited for Interview as of today :shock:

User avatar
Aquinas

Bronze
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:28 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Aquinas » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:41 pm

lawlzschool wrote:Invited for Interview as of today :shock:


Hmm, just looked at my status checker, and I also am listed as "Invited For Interview." However, I haven't gotten any emails from U of C about an interview invite....is anyone else in the same boat?

User avatar
lawlzschool

Bronze
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 8:57 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lawlzschool » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:46 pm

Aquinas wrote:
lawlzschool wrote:Invited for Interview as of today :shock:


Hmm, just looked at my status checker, and I also am listed as "Invited For Interview." However, I haven't gotten any emails from U of C about an interview invite....is anyone else in the same boat?


Yea, that's how mine is... I'm guessing [hoping?] it might be a lag on emailing? Either way, movement on my status checker is exciting :D



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 12 guests