Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Final Poll - What's your Status?

Still Waiting on a Decision
28%
Dinged :(
5%
Waitlisted - Withdrew
2%
Waitlisted - Riding it Out
36%
Admitted - Withdrew
12%
Admitted - Attending!
17%

Total votes: 146

mcblake

New

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mcblake » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:34 pm

Checking in. Just had my interview today with Dina Dalianis, and I think it went well. Fingers crossed!

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Postby Rubbishdump » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:49 pm

"If your education has been interrupted for more than a normal vacation period, please describe your activities during that time."

I'm not KJD, do I need to write an explanation regarding what I did after graduation? I have a job listed

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:55 pm

Rubbishdump wrote:"If your education has been interrupted for more than a normal vacation period, please describe your activities during that time."

I'm not KJD, do I need to write an explanation regarding what I did after graduation? I have a job listed

I think they're referring to your previous education (i.e. prior to law school)...not if you have time between UG and law school. In other words, no you don't need an explanation.

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Postby Rubbishdump » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:14 pm

airwrecka wrote:
Rubbishdump wrote:"If your education has been interrupted for more than a normal vacation period, please describe your activities during that time."

I think they're referring to your previous education (i.e. prior to law school)...not if you have time between UG and law school. In other words, no you don't need an explanation.

Great, thank you.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:55 am

Just had my interview. 'Twas stressful. Not because of anything particularly hard (although I did get the question, "What is one book you've read that has changed your outlook on life?" and I had not prepared for it so I kind of had to wing it), but like others have said in the past, the interviewers aren't super bubbly/friendly. Mine wasn't unfriendly but she didn't smile or acknowledge much of what I said other than to nod occasionally.

Hoping for the best!!

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:41 pm

airwrecka wrote:Just had my interview. 'Twas stressful. Not because of anything particularly hard (although I did get the question, "What is one book you've read that has changed your outlook on life?" and I had not prepared for it so I kind of had to wing it), but like others have said in the past, the interviewers aren't super bubbly/friendly. Mine wasn't unfriendly but she didn't smile or acknowledge much of what I said other than to nod occasionally.

Hoping for the best!!

Thank you for the insight. what book did you answer with? (If you don't mind sharing, just curious). Good luck!

nslaw123

New

Postby nslaw123 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:44 pm

Another FYI on the interview; had mine last Friday, and they asked me what I thought about the election.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:50 pm

nslaw123 wrote:Another FYI on the interview; had mine last Friday, and they asked me what I thought about the election.

Was it more to see how you articulate yourself and how updated you are with current events, or did it feel like they were looking for a certain answer/slant?

nslaw123

New

Postby nslaw123 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:54 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
nslaw123 wrote:Another FYI on the interview; had mine last Friday, and they asked me what I thought about the election.

Was it more to see how you articulate yourself and how updated you are with current events, or did it feel like they were looking for a certain answer/slant?

I served on the exec. board of the Young Democrats at my school, so I'm sure they had an expectation about my political slant. I think it was just to hear me articulate it, etc.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:54 pm

airwrecka wrote:Just had my interview. 'Twas stressful. Not because of anything particularly hard (although I did get the question, "What is one book you've read that has changed your outlook on life?" and I had not prepared for it so I kind of had to wing it), but like others have said in the past, the interviewers aren't super bubbly/friendly. Mine wasn't unfriendly but she didn't smile or acknowledge much of what I said other than to nod occasionally.

Hoping for the best!!

Thank you for the insight. what book did you answer with? (If you don't mind sharing, just curious). Good luck!

Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson, because I finished it very recently and it was somewhat law-related and related to what I want to do. Other books I have read recently probably would not have been as appropriate (Harry Potter...my guilty pleasure. Although I guess one could make an argument that HP changed their life :lol:)

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:56 pm

Same

Kaziende

Bronze

Postby Kaziende » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:58 pm

Last edited by Kaziende on Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:06 pm

airwrecka wrote:

Hoping for the best!!

Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson, because I finished it very recently and it was somewhat law-related and related to what I want to do. Other books I have read recently probably would not have been as appropriate (Harry Potter...my guilty pleasure. Although I guess one could make an argument that HP changed their life :lol:)

Oooh that's a good answer. I should've said that :lol:

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:12 pm

nslaw123 wrote:

I served on the exec. board of the Young Democrats at my school, so I'm sure they had an expectation about my political slant. I think it was just to hear me articulate it, etc.

Makes sense. Thank you!

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:53 pm

airwrecka wrote:

Hoping for the best!!

Hadn't heard of this book until now, but seems like a great answer! And Harry Potter was definitely life changing for millions of us lol.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:54 pm

Hadn't heard of this book until now, but seems like a great answer! And Harry Potter was definitely life changing for millions of us lol.

I highly recommend it! :D I'm not usually a nonfiction person, but its written in such a way that it reads like a story. (and glad I'm not alone with the HP love)

argos93

New

Postby argos93 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:15 pm

Hi all,

I had an interview, and my interviewer asked "what this election has meant to me." She said they're asking all applicants this. I felt very uncomfortable and thought it was a strange question to ask in an admissions interview. It almost felt like an ideological test. I am a moderate and hold some conservative views and am concerned about this affecting my admissions.

Thanks

zeglo

Silver

Postby zeglo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:18 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:21 pm

argos93 wrote:Hi all,

I had an interview, and my interviewer asked "what this election has meant to me." She said they're asking all applicants this. I felt very uncomfortable and thought it was a strange question to ask in an admissions interview. It almost felt like an ideological test. I am a moderate and hold some conservative views and am concerned about this affecting my admissions.

Thanks

That's weird, because I interviewed yesterday and they did NOT ask me that question.

Kaziende

Bronze

Postby Kaziende » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:23 pm

I feel like Chicago is the last place anyone would shut you out for your political leanings. Trust them when they say they're committed to rational discourse and ideological diversity. It's not just a line.

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:26 pm

airwrecka wrote:

Thanks

That's weird, because I interviewed yesterday and they did NOT ask me that question.

I interviewed last week and my interviewer definitely said they were asking it to everybody. Maybe they stopped last week, or got some crazy answer and decided to stop?

zeglo

Silver

Postby zeglo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:27 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:27 pm

poptart123 wrote:
airwrecka wrote:

Thanks

I interviewed last week and my interviewer definitely said they were asking it to everybody. Maybe they stopped last week, or got some crazy answer and decided to stop?

So weird! Now I'm wondering if there was something wrong in my interview that she didn't ask me?

zeglo wrote:

they are all like that!! (for Chicago at least)

argos93

New

Postby argos93 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:30 pm

airwrecka wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
airwrecka wrote:

Thanks

So weird! Now I'm wondering if there was something wrong in my interview that she didn't ask me?

zeglo wrote:

I didn't mean to worry anyone! I definitely think it's not an appropriate question to ask for admissions. Hopefully all will be well. Good luck to everyone!

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:34 pm

airwrecka wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
airwrecka wrote:

Thanks

zeglo wrote:

Well I had several political things on my resume, but nothing out of the ordinary for an applicant. She definitely said everybody, but maybe it was just an election week thing.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?