Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Final Poll - What's your Status?

Still Waiting on a Decision
41
28%
Dinged :(
7
5%
Waitlisted - Withdrew
3
2%
Waitlisted - Riding it Out
53
36%
Admitted - Withdrew
17
12%
Admitted - Attending!
25
17%
 
Total votes: 146

mcblake

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:56 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mcblake » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:34 pm

Checking in. Just had my interview today with Dina Dalianis, and I think it went well. Fingers crossed!

Rubbishdump

Bronze
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:16 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Rubbishdump » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:49 pm

"If your education has been interrupted for more than a normal vacation period, please describe your activities during that time."

I'm not KJD, do I need to write an explanation regarding what I did after graduation? I have a job listed

User avatar
airwrecka

Silver
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby airwrecka » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:55 pm

Rubbishdump wrote:"If your education has been interrupted for more than a normal vacation period, please describe your activities during that time."

I'm not KJD, do I need to write an explanation regarding what I did after graduation? I have a job listed


I think they're referring to your previous education (i.e. prior to law school)...not if you have time between UG and law school. In other words, no you don't need an explanation.

Rubbishdump

Bronze
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:16 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Rubbishdump » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:14 pm

airwrecka wrote:
Rubbishdump wrote:"If your education has been interrupted for more than a normal vacation period, please describe your activities during that time."

I'm not KJD, do I need to write an explanation regarding what I did after graduation? I have a job listed


I think they're referring to your previous education (i.e. prior to law school)...not if you have time between UG and law school. In other words, no you don't need an explanation.

Great, thank you.

User avatar
airwrecka

Silver
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby airwrecka » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:55 am

Just had my interview. 'Twas stressful. Not because of anything particularly hard (although I did get the question, "What is one book you've read that has changed your outlook on life?" and I had not prepared for it so I kind of had to wing it), but like others have said in the past, the interviewers aren't super bubbly/friendly. Mine wasn't unfriendly but she didn't smile or acknowledge much of what I said other than to nod occasionally.

Hoping for the best!!

User avatar
Assasindowntheavenue

Silver
Posts: 818
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:41 pm

airwrecka wrote:Just had my interview. 'Twas stressful. Not because of anything particularly hard (although I did get the question, "What is one book you've read that has changed your outlook on life?" and I had not prepared for it so I kind of had to wing it), but like others have said in the past, the interviewers aren't super bubbly/friendly. Mine wasn't unfriendly but she didn't smile or acknowledge much of what I said other than to nod occasionally.

Hoping for the best!!


Thank you for the insight. what book did you answer with? (If you don't mind sharing, just curious). Good luck!

nslaw123

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby nslaw123 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:44 pm

Another FYI on the interview; had mine last Friday, and they asked me what I thought about the election.

User avatar
Assasindowntheavenue

Silver
Posts: 818
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:50 pm

nslaw123 wrote:Another FYI on the interview; had mine last Friday, and they asked me what I thought about the election.


Was it more to see how you articulate yourself and how updated you are with current events, or did it feel like they were looking for a certain answer/slant?

nslaw123

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby nslaw123 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:54 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
nslaw123 wrote:Another FYI on the interview; had mine last Friday, and they asked me what I thought about the election.


Was it more to see how you articulate yourself and how updated you are with current events, or did it feel like they were looking for a certain answer/slant?


I served on the exec. board of the Young Democrats at my school, so I'm sure they had an expectation about my political slant. I think it was just to hear me articulate it, etc.

User avatar
airwrecka

Silver
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby airwrecka » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:54 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
airwrecka wrote:Just had my interview. 'Twas stressful. Not because of anything particularly hard (although I did get the question, "What is one book you've read that has changed your outlook on life?" and I had not prepared for it so I kind of had to wing it), but like others have said in the past, the interviewers aren't super bubbly/friendly. Mine wasn't unfriendly but she didn't smile or acknowledge much of what I said other than to nod occasionally.

Hoping for the best!!


Thank you for the insight. what book did you answer with? (If you don't mind sharing, just curious). Good luck!


Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson, because I finished it very recently and it was somewhat law-related and related to what I want to do. Other books I have read recently probably would not have been as appropriate (Harry Potter...my guilty pleasure. Although I guess one could make an argument that HP changed their life :lol:)

User avatar
poptart123

Silver
Posts: 1153
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby poptart123 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:56 pm

nslaw123 wrote:Another FYI on the interview; had mine last Friday, and they asked me what I thought about the election.


Same

User avatar
Kaziende

Bronze
Posts: 186
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:10 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Kaziende » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:58 pm

.
Last edited by Kaziende on Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
pretzeltime

Gold
Posts: 1993
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby pretzeltime » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:06 pm

airwrecka wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
airwrecka wrote:Just had my interview. 'Twas stressful. Not because of anything particularly hard (although I did get the question, "What is one book you've read that has changed your outlook on life?" and I had not prepared for it so I kind of had to wing it), but like others have said in the past, the interviewers aren't super bubbly/friendly. Mine wasn't unfriendly but she didn't smile or acknowledge much of what I said other than to nod occasionally.

Hoping for the best!!


Thank you for the insight. what book did you answer with? (If you don't mind sharing, just curious). Good luck!


Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson, because I finished it very recently and it was somewhat law-related and related to what I want to do. Other books I have read recently probably would not have been as appropriate (Harry Potter...my guilty pleasure. Although I guess one could make an argument that HP changed their life :lol:)


Oooh that's a good answer. I should've said that :lol:

User avatar
Assasindowntheavenue

Silver
Posts: 818
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:12 pm

nslaw123 wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
nslaw123 wrote:Another FYI on the interview; had mine last Friday, and they asked me what I thought about the election.


Was it more to see how you articulate yourself and how updated you are with current events, or did it feel like they were looking for a certain answer/slant?


I served on the exec. board of the Young Democrats at my school, so I'm sure they had an expectation about my political slant. I think it was just to hear me articulate it, etc.


Makes sense. Thank you!

User avatar
Assasindowntheavenue

Silver
Posts: 818
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:53 pm

airwrecka wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
airwrecka wrote:Just had my interview. 'Twas stressful. Not because of anything particularly hard (although I did get the question, "What is one book you've read that has changed your outlook on life?" and I had not prepared for it so I kind of had to wing it), but like others have said in the past, the interviewers aren't super bubbly/friendly. Mine wasn't unfriendly but she didn't smile or acknowledge much of what I said other than to nod occasionally.

Hoping for the best!!


Thank you for the insight. what book did you answer with? (If you don't mind sharing, just curious). Good luck!


Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson, because I finished it very recently and it was somewhat law-related and related to what I want to do. Other books I have read recently probably would not have been as appropriate (Harry Potter...my guilty pleasure. Although I guess one could make an argument that HP changed their life :lol:)


Hadn't heard of this book until now, but seems like a great answer! And Harry Potter was definitely life changing for millions of us lol.

User avatar
airwrecka

Silver
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby airwrecka » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:54 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
Hadn't heard of this book until now, but seems like a great answer! And Harry Potter was definitely life changing for millions of us lol.


I highly recommend it! :D I'm not usually a nonfiction person, but its written in such a way that it reads like a story. (and glad I'm not alone with the HP love)

argos93

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:06 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby argos93 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:15 pm

Hi all,

I had an interview, and my interviewer asked "what this election has meant to me." She said they're asking all applicants this. I felt very uncomfortable and thought it was a strange question to ask in an admissions interview. It almost felt like an ideological test. I am a moderate and hold some conservative views and am concerned about this affecting my admissions.

Thanks

zeglo

Silver
Posts: 664
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby zeglo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:18 pm

.
Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
airwrecka

Silver
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby airwrecka » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:21 pm

argos93 wrote:Hi all,

I had an interview, and my interviewer asked "what this election has meant to me." She said they're asking all applicants this. I felt very uncomfortable and thought it was a strange question to ask in an admissions interview. It almost felt like an ideological test. I am a moderate and hold some conservative views and am concerned about this affecting my admissions.

Thanks


That's weird, because I interviewed yesterday and they did NOT ask me that question.

User avatar
Kaziende

Bronze
Posts: 186
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:10 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Kaziende » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:23 pm

I feel like Chicago is the last place anyone would shut you out for your political leanings. Trust them when they say they're committed to rational discourse and ideological diversity. It's not just a line.

User avatar
poptart123

Silver
Posts: 1153
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby poptart123 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:26 pm

airwrecka wrote:
argos93 wrote:Hi all,

I had an interview, and my interviewer asked "what this election has meant to me." She said they're asking all applicants this. I felt very uncomfortable and thought it was a strange question to ask in an admissions interview. It almost felt like an ideological test. I am a moderate and hold some conservative views and am concerned about this affecting my admissions.

Thanks


That's weird, because I interviewed yesterday and they did NOT ask me that question.


I interviewed last week and my interviewer definitely said they were asking it to everybody. Maybe they stopped last week, or got some crazy answer and decided to stop?

zeglo

Silver
Posts: 664
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby zeglo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:27 pm

.
Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
airwrecka

Silver
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby airwrecka » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:27 pm

poptart123 wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
argos93 wrote:Hi all,

I had an interview, and my interviewer asked "what this election has meant to me." She said they're asking all applicants this. I felt very uncomfortable and thought it was a strange question to ask in an admissions interview. It almost felt like an ideological test. I am a moderate and hold some conservative views and am concerned about this affecting my admissions.

Thanks


That's weird, because I interviewed yesterday and they did NOT ask me that question.


I interviewed last week and my interviewer definitely said they were asking it to everybody. Maybe they stopped last week, or got some crazy answer and decided to stop?


So weird! Now I'm wondering if there was something wrong in my interview that she didn't ask me?

zeglo wrote:


they are all like that!! (for Chicago at least)

argos93

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:06 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby argos93 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:30 pm

airwrecka wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
argos93 wrote:Hi all,

I had an interview, and my interviewer asked "what this election has meant to me." She said they're asking all applicants this. I felt very uncomfortable and thought it was a strange question to ask in an admissions interview. It almost felt like an ideological test. I am a moderate and hold some conservative views and am concerned about this affecting my admissions.

Thanks


That's weird, because I interviewed yesterday and they did NOT ask me that question.


I interviewed last week and my interviewer definitely said they were asking it to everybody. Maybe they stopped last week, or got some crazy answer and decided to stop?


So weird! Now I'm wondering if there was something wrong in my interview that she didn't ask me?

zeglo wrote:


they are all like that!! (for Chicago at least)


I didn't mean to worry anyone! I definitely think it's not an appropriate question to ask for admissions. Hopefully all will be well. Good luck to everyone!

User avatar
poptart123

Silver
Posts: 1153
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby poptart123 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:34 pm

airwrecka wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
argos93 wrote:Hi all,

I had an interview, and my interviewer asked "what this election has meant to me." She said they're asking all applicants this. I felt very uncomfortable and thought it was a strange question to ask in an admissions interview. It almost felt like an ideological test. I am a moderate and hold some conservative views and am concerned about this affecting my admissions.

Thanks


That's weird, because I interviewed yesterday and they did NOT ask me that question.


I interviewed last week and my interviewer definitely said they were asking it to everybody. Maybe they stopped last week, or got some crazy answer and decided to stop?


So weird! Now I'm wondering if there was something wrong in my interview that she didn't ask me?

zeglo wrote:


they are all like that!! (for Chicago at least)


Well I had several political things on my resume, but nothing out of the ordinary for an applicant. She definitely said everybody, but maybe it was just an election week thing.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests