Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Final Poll - What's your Status?

Still Waiting on a Decision
41
28%
Dinged :(
7
5%
Waitlisted - Withdrew
3
2%
Waitlisted - Riding it Out
53
36%
Admitted - Withdrew
17
12%
Admitted - Attending!
25
17%
 
Total votes: 146

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:01 pm

Chicago says if we went need considered we must "submit a need application" but I can't find it on their link anywhere. Does that need to be done before a decision is made?

User avatar
KMart

Gold
Posts: 4368
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby KMart » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:06 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Chicago says if we went need considered we must "submit a need application" but I can't find it on their link anywhere. Does that need to be done before a decision is made?

I do not believe so but an email to admissions would answer this for ya.

User avatar
poptart123

Silver
Posts: 1152
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby poptart123 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:42 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Chicago says if we went need considered we must "submit a need application" but I can't find it on their link anywhere. Does that need to be done before a decision is made?


Let us know what you find out!

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:07 am

KMart wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Chicago says if we went need considered we must "submit a need application" but I can't find it on their link anywhere. Does that need to be done before a decision is made?

I do not believe so but an email to admissions would answer this for ya.


Yeah, I was hoping for an answer here before the weekend was over, but I'll ask on Monday.

User avatar
RamTitan

Silver
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby RamTitan » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:37 pm

Is it wise to write a "why Chicago" essay?

User avatar
KMart

Gold
Posts: 4368
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby KMart » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:09 pm

RamTitan wrote:Is it wise to write a "why Chicago" essay?

If it is sincere, it will not hurt you.

User avatar
RamTitan

Silver
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby RamTitan » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:04 pm

KMart wrote:
RamTitan wrote:Is it wise to write a "why Chicago" essay?

If it is sincere, it will not hurt you.

What's sincere in this case? If I got into Chicago, I'd go there....unless I got into HYS etc.

By sincere, do you mean that you should only write if it's #1 choice/dream school?

User avatar
poptart123

Silver
Posts: 1152
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby poptart123 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:12 am

I read more and more about Chicago every day, and I'm loving the school. I'm interested in PI and their LRAP seems to be amazing, and even cover clerkships.

Does anybody have an idea what percentile of the class you need to be in to be competitive for federal clerkships from UChi?

User avatar
theothercat

Bronze
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:36 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby theothercat » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:48 am

As this cycle has gone on, the more I realize that Chicago is by far my top choice, just due to its reputation and the COL/life in Chicago (I'm from a small-ish city in the Midwest). If my September LSAT comes back 173+, I'm really, really hoping I'll be considered for the Rubenstein. Is a "Why Chicago" helpful in this regard, even if it is just "this is my top choice because culture and opportunities and city"? Is it important to let a school know that its your top choice or is that kind of a try-hard move?

User avatar
MAPP

Bronze
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:03 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby MAPP » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:14 pm

I'm filling out my app, and in the "education" section there is an area to list academic honors/awards. Is anyone including Dean's List there? Also, should I include scholarships and mock trial awards? And if it should be included, how would I list that I am in the University Honors Program?

User avatar
MAPP

Bronze
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:03 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby MAPP » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:36 pm

KMart wrote:I'll tag and make myself available for questions/etc.


What do you know about the Doctoroff Business Leadership Program? Is it one of those life-consuming programs that will not allow me to have any friends besides the other people in the program?

Also, do you know how advantageous it is to have the certification? i.e. would businesses/law firms be more likely to hire me, or is it just some random certification?

User avatar
KMart

Gold
Posts: 4368
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby KMart » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:39 pm

MAPP wrote:
KMart wrote:I'll tag and make myself available for questions/etc.


What do you know about the Doctoroff Business Leadership Program? Is it one of those life-consuming programs that will not allow me to have any friends besides the other people in the program?

Also, do you know how advantageous it is to have the certification? i.e. would businesses/law firms be more likely to hire me, or is it just some random certification?

It is not life consuming by any means. I'm friends with many people within the program and all of them do other things outside of Doctoroff.

I'd say the advantage comes if you want to do business/corp work and you don't have that background. A firm will believe you because it shows the interest.

User avatar
KMart

Gold
Posts: 4368
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby KMart » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:40 pm

RamTitan wrote:
KMart wrote:
RamTitan wrote:Is it wise to write a "why Chicago" essay?

If it is sincere, it will not hurt you.

What's sincere in this case? If I got into Chicago, I'd go there....unless I got into HYS etc.

By sincere, do you mean that you should only write if it's #1 choice/dream school?

If the reason is something other than "you have good employment numbers" would be a good reason. There has to be something specific tying you to this school as opposed to others.

User avatar
KMart

Gold
Posts: 4368
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby KMart » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:41 pm

MAPP wrote:I'm filling out my app, and in the "education" section there is an area to list academic honors/awards. Is anyone including Dean's List there? Also, should I include scholarships and mock trial awards? And if it should be included, how would I list that I am in the University Honors Program?

I filled in Dean's List and I'd include the latter two. Why not? The app is your time to shine.

The University Honors Program would be clear from your resume, no?

User avatar
KMart

Gold
Posts: 4368
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby KMart » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:42 pm

theothercat wrote:As this cycle has gone on, the more I realize that Chicago is by far my top choice, just due to its reputation and the COL/life in Chicago (I'm from a small-ish city in the Midwest). If my September LSAT comes back 173+, I'm really, really hoping I'll be considered for the Rubenstein. Is a "Why Chicago" helpful in this regard, even if it is just "this is my top choice because culture and opportunities and city"? Is it important to let a school know that its your top choice or is that kind of a try-hard move?

Honestly, I don't know. I'm in favor of writing the essay if you have a real reason to go here outside of the employment numbers. The flip side is if you say it's your top choice they can admit you with less scholarship because, if they believe you're sincere, you'll go without the Ruby. I wish I knew what you should do - Spivvy's thread may help more because he actually does that for a living. Best of luck!

User avatar
KMart

Gold
Posts: 4368
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby KMart » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:44 pm

poptart123 wrote:I read more and more about Chicago every day, and I'm loving the school. I'm interested in PI and their LRAP seems to be amazing, and even cover clerkships.

Does anybody have an idea what percentile of the class you need to be in to be competitive for federal clerkships from UChi?

I wish I knew more here to help ya. Obviously we have great clerkship numbers but an increasing amount of judges are looking for alums. That could be good and bad: good because if you have bad grades you can work for a few years and sort of make up for the grades and bad because it means there's fewer judges and the grades have to be higher.

User avatar
theothercat

Bronze
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:36 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby theothercat » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:45 pm

KMart wrote:
theothercat wrote:As this cycle has gone on, the more I realize that Chicago is by far my top choice, just due to its reputation and the COL/life in Chicago (I'm from a small-ish city in the Midwest). If my September LSAT comes back 173+, I'm really, really hoping I'll be considered for the Rubenstein. Is a "Why Chicago" helpful in this regard, even if it is just "this is my top choice because culture and opportunities and city"? Is it important to let a school know that its your top choice or is that kind of a try-hard move?

Honestly, I don't know. I'm in favor of writing the essay if you have a real reason to go here outside of the employment numbers. The flip side is if you say it's your top choice they can admit you with less scholarship because, if they believe you're sincere, you'll go without the Ruby. I wish I knew what you should do - Spivvy's thread may help more because he actually does that for a living. Best of luck!


Thank you! I think I'm going to go without one for the reason you mention. I think I'll have a strong application, and hopefully that's enough. :)

LawschoolHopeful2k16

New
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:15 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby LawschoolHopeful2k16 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:57 pm

KMart wrote:
MAPP wrote:I'm filling out my app, and in the "education" section there is an area to list academic honors/awards. Is anyone including Dean's List there? Also, should I include scholarships and mock trial awards? And if it should be included, how would I list that I am in the University Honors Program?

I filled in Dean's List and I'd include the latter two. Why not? The app is your time to shine.

The University Honors Program would be clear from your resume, no?



I think the benefit of showing involvement in the honors program in the academic honors section outweighs any downside. It might be redundant, but so is the list of employment experience. It'll stand out more on the academic honors section, and then in the resume, they can discuss it more.

Plus some honors programs aren't really something to add to a résumé and arent listed clearly on a transcript, so if MAPP is in that situation then they should definitely at least list it on the academic honors page.

User avatar
MAPP

Bronze
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:03 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby MAPP » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:38 pm

RamTitan wrote:
KMart wrote:
RamTitan wrote:Is it wise to write a "why Chicago" essay?

If it is sincere, it will not hurt you.

What's sincere in this case? If I got into Chicago, I'd go there....unless I got into HYS etc.

By sincere, do you mean that you should only write if it's #1 choice/dream school?


Where are you gonna submit the why Chicago essay? I don't see anywhere to attach it, same with the other schools that I'm starting apps for... I've emailed Georgetown admissions to see what they say, but I might have to email chicago too cuz I want to write one as well

KatCoco

New
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:49 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby KatCoco » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:48 pm

MAPP wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
KMart wrote:
RamTitan wrote:Is it wise to write a "why Chicago" essay?

If it is sincere, it will not hurt you.

What's sincere in this case? If I got into Chicago, I'd go there....unless I got into HYS etc.

By sincere, do you mean that you should only write if it's #1 choice/dream school?


Where are you gonna submit the why Chicago essay? I don't see anywhere to attach it, same with the other schools that I'm starting apps for... I've emailed Georgetown admissions to see what they say, but I might have to email chicago too cuz I want to write one as well


Just put it in the optional addendum section.

User avatar
MAPP

Bronze
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:03 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby MAPP » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:55 pm

KatCoco wrote:
MAPP wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
KMart wrote:
RamTitan wrote:Is it wise to write a "why Chicago" essay?

If it is sincere, it will not hurt you.

What's sincere in this case? If I got into Chicago, I'd go there....unless I got into HYS etc.

By sincere, do you mean that you should only write if it's #1 choice/dream school?


Where are you gonna submit the why Chicago essay? I don't see anywhere to attach it, same with the other schools that I'm starting apps for... I've emailed Georgetown admissions to see what they say, but I might have to email chicago too cuz I want to write one as well


Just put it in the optional addendum section.


The description provided by chicago for the addendum only deals with lsat disparities, gpa trends and the like

KatCoco

New
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:49 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby KatCoco » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:23 pm

MAPP wrote:
KatCoco wrote:
MAPP wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
KMart wrote:
RamTitan wrote:Is it wise to write a "why Chicago" essay?

If it is sincere, it will not hurt you.

What's sincere in this case? If I got into Chicago, I'd go there....unless I got into HYS etc.

By sincere, do you mean that you should only write if it's #1 choice/dream school?


Where are you gonna submit the why Chicago essay? I don't see anywhere to attach it, same with the other schools that I'm starting apps for... I've emailed Georgetown admissions to see what they say, but I might have to email chicago too cuz I want to write one as well


Just put it in the optional addendum section.


The description provided by chicago for the addendum only deals with lsat disparities, gpa trends and the like


I know that, but that's still where you should put it. There's literally no other option. I asked Derek Meeker about it and he said it's fine to put DS/Why Chicago in that section.

User avatar
RamTitan

Silver
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby RamTitan » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:39 pm

KMart wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
KMart wrote:
RamTitan wrote:Is it wise to write a "why Chicago" essay?

If it is sincere, it will not hurt you.

What's sincere in this case? If I got into Chicago, I'd go there....unless I got into HYS etc.

By sincere, do you mean that you should only write if it's #1 choice/dream school?

If the reason is something other than "you have good employment numbers" would be a good reason. There has to be something specific tying you to this school as opposed to others.

I'd probably write about ties to Chicago/desire to practice there, though I don't know if that's a particularly strong reason. And if there is a chance it would diminish scholarship chances, then I definitely would forgo writing one.

User avatar
landshoes

Silver
Posts: 1286
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby landshoes » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:27 pm

I think it's key to keep it well-written, well-argued, and accurate. I don't think it will hurt your scholarship changes, but since I'm not an admissions officer I can't say for sure. I will note that you don't have to say that Chicago is your top choice or your only choice. I wrote about the excellent clinical opportunities and the small size of the school, and mentioned a friend who attended (and loved it.) IIRC I made it clear that I adored the school but never said or implied that it was my first choice. It worked out OK for me, YMMV.

User avatar
RamTitan

Silver
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby RamTitan » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:37 pm

landshoes wrote:I think it's key to keep it well-written, well-argued, and accurate. I don't think it will hurt your scholarship changes, but since I'm not an admissions officer I can't say for sure. I will note that you don't have to say that Chicago is your top choice or your only choice. I wrote about the excellent clinical opportunities and the small size of the school, and mentioned a friend who attended (and loved it.) IIRC I made it clear that I adored the school but never said or implied that it was my first choice. It worked out OK for me, YMMV.

This is a helpful post. I was starting to think you had to have some absurdly narrow and specific reasons for wanting to go to a school.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests